Highlights of the day: Intel may expand partnership with TSMC


As Intel is facing troubles to improve its manufacturing processes, the CPU giant is now seeking outside help in production of some of its processors with TSMC having a high chance to be one of the partners. Meanwhile, PCB makers Zhen Ding and AT&S now together supply 60% of SLP used in iPhones and Apple Watch, leaving about 40% shared among smaller suppliers. Because of the uprising opportunity of 5G, ASE has been increasing its capacity of FC-AiP packaging and is looking to stay at the top of the industry for the 5G sector.

TSMC EUV nodes to attract orders from Intel, sources say: Intel at its recent earnings call disclosed that its next-generation 7nm processors, including the company's first 7nm datacenter GPU design, would rely on external and internal process technologies, sparking speculation about TSMC being its potential foundry partner.

Zhen Ding, AT&S lead in SLP mainboard supply for iPhones, Apple Watch: SLP (substrate-like PCBs) makers in the supply chain of Apple devices have ended their first wave of competition, with Taiwan's Zhen Ding Technology and Austria's AT&S each absorbing 30% of orders for iPhone and Apple Watch applications, according to industry sources.

ASE ramping up FC-AiP packaging capacity: ASE Technology Holding has continued committing equity investments to build up its FC-AiP (flip chip-antenna in package) packaging capacity seeking to maintain its leading position in the sector, according to industry sources.