- 10 Jun 2015:Samsung has unveiled the 'world's first' 55-inch transparent and mirror OLED displays in Hong Kong.
- 4 Jun 2015:Japan's struggling electronics maker Sharp is set to post a net loss of JPY180 billion (US$1.45 billion) in the current year through next March, Kyodo News reported on Thursday, without citing sources.
- 26 May 2015:Even as the total sales volume of flat panel TV continues to slow down in key Asian markets, consumer demand for Ultra HD models has spiked 'exponentially' in the past year, says research firm GfK.
- But what would it take to get an actual OLED display inside the iPhone? Recall in January, Japanese media reports stated Apple has contracted both Foxconn and Innolux to build a $2.6 billion plant to manufacture not only flexible OLED displays for wearable devices, but also five-inch OLED smartphone displays.
- 19 May 2015:"We expect that the Ultra HD BluRay release, and many content releases that will be coming this fall, to really drive content and maybe even adoption of these 4K-enabled products."
- Tech giant Apple quietly abandoned plans to make an Ultra HD set over a year ago, the Wall Street Journal reported Monday.
- As Apple basks in the unprecedented demand for its latest iPhones, suppliers from Tokyo to Taipei are sharing in the spoils.
- 30 Apr 2015:Four models from Sony's 2015 Android TV-powered 4K television range are now available for pre-order, with shipping to begin in May.
- 29 Apr 2015:In a year that's seen Panasonic giving up on plasma TVs and consumer mobile phones, the Japanese company has finally returned to profit.
- 23 Apr 2015:Samsung Electronics says its biggest rival, LG Electronics, will soon join the global alliance to boost the Ultra HD market.
- 15 Apr 2015:Here are 5 reasons why I'll wait at least a year to buy my first 4K UHD TV.
- 13 Apr 2015:Samsung Electronics' mobile chief warned on Thursday of limited supplies of its new curved-screen smartphones because of challenges in manufacturing the screens.
- 7 Apr 2015:LG Display is planning to raise the yield of its ultra HD OLED panel production facilities to 80 percent within this year.
- Plasma TVs may be extinct, but OLED screens now fill that niche. Only one company makes them, so you'll need deep pockets to afford the best picture on the market.
- 31 Mar 2015:The original Philco Predicta was an iconic futurist design-an early, ambitious attempt at a flat-screen TV that looked nothing like the big cabinet sets of its day.
- LG has unveiled its TV range for 2015 with a focus on its 4K ColourPrime technology and Netflix certification, but can't confirm an Australian launch window for its anticipated Ultra HD OLED.
- 27 Mar 2015:The recently refreshed 2015 MacBook Air can drive 4K external displays at a refresh rate of 60Hz.
- Despite finally jumping into the OLED market with the Apple Watch, Apple is not expected to migrate its handset line away from LCD technology in the near future.
- 24 Mar 2015:Xiaomi all set to launch the most affordable 4K smart TV you can't easily purchase (Mar 23) - Beta NewsXiaomi reportedly plans to launch two models in its Mi TV lineup -- one of which will be the successor to 49-inch 4K capable Mi TV 2, while the other will be a smaller-sized television set with FHD display.
- Taiwanese electronics maker looking at partnership possibilities with Japanese company Sharp.
- 23 Mar 2015:Quantum Materials says it has broken the Stokes-shift barrier that limits the performance of quantum dots (QDs) for displays, and is able to produce "strong-shift" QDs to consistent characteristics in high volumes.
- QD Vision's John Ho holds a tube of the finished polymerized quantum dot material that promises to revolutionize the way we see televised color.
- 20 Mar 2015:At its recent annual trade preview held at Mercedes-Benz World in Surrey, the company declared it was revving up OLED panel production and spread-betting on 4K across the board.
- Universal Display currently has a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold) while its Earnings ESP is 0.00%.
- 17 Mar 2015:Retina MacBook Pro users complain of anti-reflective display coating wearing off (Mar 16) - Mac RumorsA growing number of users have turned to the Apple Support Communities, MacRumors discussion forums and Facebook in recent weeks to voice their complaints about the anti-reflective coating on Retina MacBook Pros becoming stained or wearing off.
- After nearly a decade of promoting 3D as the next great thing in television, most of the industry has moved on to promoting 4K, richer color, flatter screens, and clever applications instead.
- 13 Mar 2015:Here, in the first of a monthly series (which might become more frequent if the 4K movement REALLY starts to get its act together), are some of the 4K-related technology highlights from the past few weeks.
- On 19 January, Samsung applied to the Korean Intellectual Property Office to trademark the names - "Super UHD OLED"; "Ultra Super OLED"; "Samsung Super Ultra OLED"; "Ultra OLED"; and "Super UHD".
- 11 Mar 2015:Loss-making Sharp has asked a domestic corporate turnaround fund to invest up to US$250 million in capital - aid which would come on top of plans to tap its two main lenders for a second major bailout, a source said on Friday.
- Sharp is not considering merging its troubled display business with rival Japan Display Inc, an executive said on Tuesday, adding that the unit had a technological advantage over its competitors.
- 10 Mar 2015:As of this writing, Universal Display stock has climbed 13% over the past week, capped by a 6.3% pop on Thursday. Better yet, those who purchased Universal Display at the start of 2015 are currently sitting on a tidy 40% gain:
- 9 Mar 2015:Japan Display said that it would build a new US$1.4 billion liquid crystal display (LCD) manufacturing plant, which a source said would supply smartphone screens for Apple.
- 6 Mar 2015:Printable organic LED technology could be used to enable large-scale patterned and flexible light-emitting surfaces for advertising displays, as well as transparent smart surfaces to be attached to windows or packaging.
- While OLED's self-emissive technology makes it a stellar option for black reproduction and motion clarity, it might not be capable of delivering the same sorts of brightness you can get from LED-driven LCD TVs.
- 5 Mar 2015:Get out of my screens and into my car. Visa wants to make it possible for you to order food on a heads-up display while driving and then pick it up and pay for it without ever leaving your vehicle.
- 3 Mar 2015:Now a new study from a team of researchers in California and Japan shows that OLEDs made with finely patterned structures can produce bright, low-power light sources, a key step toward making organic lasers.
- EPIC requested the FTC stop Samsung and other companies from intercepting private communication via TV sets.
- 2 Mar 2015:Pricing and availability for Sony's 2015 lineup of 4K TVs has leaked, targeting a release date of May for all of the models and prices from $1,300 up to $8,000.
- South Korea's LG Electronics Inc said on Tuesday it plans to partner with Chinese and Japanese firms in a bid to make organic light-emitting diode (OLED) display televisions more mainstream.
- 25 Feb 2015:Pixel problems: Living with a 5K monitor is not all that's cracked up to be (Feb 240 - Digital TrendsThe first problem any Windows user with a 5K display will run into is hooking it up.
- Industrial display leader Litemax to showcase world's first resized 4K2K LCDs at InnoTrans
- Elo expands projected capacitive touchscreen line
- Merck holds Display Insight 2015 in Taiwan to showcase its new branding and latest display technologies
- Exhibitors from 34 countries and regions are ready for inaugural WCIIF
- Focusing on four innovative applications, Merck unveils future display technologies at 2015 Touch Taiwan
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Touch IC developers turning to fingerprint sensors
- Digitimes Research: Dell high-end LCD monitors may be 24-, 27-inch models
- Is Quantum Dot the next big thing for the TV market?
- Apple updates iMac family with new Ultra HD and 5K Retina displays
- CES 2014: Asustek to showcase latest smartphones, 2-in-1 and gaming monitor
- Lenovo releases new ThinkCentra AIO desktops
- Asustek introduces MB168 Series portable USB-powered monitor
- Samsung introduces monitor featuring hand-tuned color calibration and quad HD display
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
4K TVs continue to grow strong in the market and are expected to more than double in 2015. Panel makers and TV vendors alike are eying opportunities...
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...