- 18 Mar 2013:Each time in recent years that the Federal Reserve has paused in its efforts to stimulate the economy, it has come to regret the decision as premature.
- 15 Mar 2013:Microsoft has sold about 1.5 million Surface devices, people with knowledge of the company's sales said, a slow start in its bid to crack the fast-growing tablet market to make up for slumping personal-computer demand.
- There used to be a clear divide: Taiwanese contract manufacturers made the well-known tablets like Apple Inc.'s AAPL +0.97%iPad, while Chinese companies made imitations for little-known brands. But with Hewlett-Packard Co.'s HPQ +2.86%newest device, the line is blurring, a sign Chinese companies are becoming more serious competitors.
- Research and development of flexible display screens has been a growing trend amongst consumer electronics manufacturers attempting to commercialize the technology. The market prospects look promising for the prospective players in the flexible display screen devices ecosystem.
- The International Touch Panel and Optical Film Exhibition 2013 (Touch Taiwan 2013), one of the most important exhibitions for the display and touch panel industry in Asia, is scheduled to be held Aug. 28-30 in Taipei, the event organizers recently said.
- 14 Mar 2013:Just as users seemed to be showing a preference for smaller tablets, Amazon is giving them a bigger one - so what does that say about where the market is heading?
- DSE13: Digital signage leading the way to a future 'Day Made of Glass' (March 4) - Digital Signage TodayMost digital signage displays all have one thing in common: They use glass as the substrate on which images are shown.
- The European Union has awarded Rs.17.77 crore (??.47 million) for a three-year project, known as GHOST "Generic and Highly Organic, Shape-changing inTerfaces" that aims at extending the next generation computer and mobile display surfaces beyond the rigid, flat surfaces which people are familiar with and allow users to physically push, pull, bend, fold or flex the display.
- 13 Mar 2013:Despite continued rumors that Apple has been working very hard to transition away from Samsung for production of A-series chips, it appears that Apple has not yet been able to make that step on a mass production basis, as this new smaller A5 is still being fabbed by Samsung.
- 12 Mar 2013:Sapphire is unscratchable, unbreakable, and the next big thing in touchscreens (February 27) - Digital TrendsEarlier this month, a study showed that 23% of iPhone users have screens that are currently broken, and the average person has put up with their broken screen for six months.
- The market penetration rate of the LED-backlit display technology is expected to surpass 90% on the back of lower asking prices, according to a market information advisory institute.
- Diplomats could soon be wearing AR contact lenses or glasses that will translate in real-time a native's foreign language, presenting the information like movie subtitles on the lens or glass in that diplomat's own native tongue.
- The researchers behind SpiderSense define it as a wearable device that projects the wearer's near environment on the skin. The suit gives the user a special directional awareness of surrounding objects.
- 8 Mar 2013:What was once just a vision of the future, touchscreens are now all around us. Smartphones and tablets have become more modern, aesthetically pleasing and easier to use because of touchscreens.
- Air Force takes first step in replacing obsolete CRT displays in F-15E jet fighter-bomber - Military & Aerospace ElectronicsUS Air Force avionics experts are taking the first steps in replacing obsolescent displays based on cathode ray tube (CRT) technology in the Boeing F-15E jet fighter-bomber with contemporary technology such as liquid crystal displays (LCDs) or other flat-panel technology.
- LG Display overtook Samsung Display to rank first in the global LCD market for the first time in seven years.
- While the Korean electronics giant says it's not going to intervene in Sharp's business management, it could end up with early insight into new tech and influence future products. And that could be a risk for Apple.
- Attendees of the latest TED conference got a look at a futuristic device called SpaceTop where the user views a 3-D workspace through a transparent display, manipulating the on-screen elements with just their hands.
- 7 Mar 2013:Japanese tech giant Sony has unveiled a 10.1-inch tablet, the Xperia Tablet Z, at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The tablet runs on Google's Android operating system.
- 5 Mar 2013:Spencer Kelly discovers that 2014 could the year when touchscreens are launched which react in three dimensions that do not even require touch to recognise what action the device should take.
- AndroidForNook offers a Nook-to-Android download option for just $9.99. It's available for all four of the aforementioned Nook models, and you can use it with your own 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB card.
- An incredible 80% of men in the UK admit playing on their smartphone or Internet tablet during dinner, according to a new survey.
- Products that use the flexible displays touted as a candidate screen for the rumoured Apple iWatch could still be years away.
- 1 Mar 2013:Samsung's newest addition to the Note series uses an 8-inch display. But don't worry, it still comes with the same special S Pen stylus and apps that gave the original its name.
- If you know what a liquid is (key properties include that it flows and changes shape to fit the container in which it sits), and have a memory of copper sulphate crystals at the bottom of a test-tube from school chemistry lessons, the idea of a liquid crystal may seem a bit odd. It is, however, a well-defined state of matter which sits comfortably between liquids and crystals in its underlying molecular packing.
- Apple's iPhone 5 integrated touch display technology comes to light and it loudly screams it's coming to all Macs eventually (February 21) - Patently AppleToday, Apple's In-Cell display patent application has come to light. Yet perhaps the real story here is that Apple has clearly stated that this technology could apply to Macs and went out of their way to list the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and even a future iMac.
- Last year, the touch screen market was projected to reach approximately $14 billion, according to IDTechEx.
- Sharp Corp has developed technology for reprocessing the glass from used LCD panels, a discovery seen helping to lower recycling costs for consumers.
- 27 Feb 2013:Improved moisture barriers for organic displays and electronics are coming (February 5) - Display CentralHigh moisture barriers have been one of the toughest nuts to crack for flexible, organic electronics.
- Since 2010, there has been growth beyond expectations in the adoption of mobile devices, such as smart phones and tablets, which has called for larger volumes of CMOS image sensor chips to be produced.
- If you're buying a new TV and care more about picture quality than anything else, plasma is still definitely the best TV tech to go for. That's the view of Fabrice Estornel, the head of Panasonic's TV business in the UK.
- The touch panel market is growing rapidly due to the increasing sale of smartphones and tablet PCs. The touch panel market size in 2012 was 1.3 billion units, a 39.4% growth over 2011.
- Apple CEO blasts OLEDs as inferior tech - independent research shows he has a point (February 12) - ExtremeTechTim Cook doesn't think much of OLEDs, and he doesn't think you should, either.
- Polytron unveils transparent smartphone display prototype: Is it on cards for MWC 2013? (February 18) - GizbotA smartphone with a transparent screen always seamed like a thing of the future, but judging by recent developments, this future might not be that far.
- The potential for designing Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) with graphical user interfaces (GUI) and SCADA terminals in factories has evolved significantly in the past few years.
- 21 Feb 2013:Asus Transformer Book Windows 8 hybrid tablet/laptop pops up for pre-order for US$1,480 (February 21) - ZDNetWe've been waiting a long time for the Asus Transformer Book -- my ZDNet colleague Adrian Kingsley-Hughes was writing about it last June -- but it looks like the Windows 8 convertible notebook is almost here. It's finally shown up for pre-order at MacMall for a cool US$1,479.99.
- The YotaPhone, a dual-screen smartphone from Russia, is moving closer to its debut, first in Russia and later in other markets possibly including the US.
- 20 Feb 2013:There are two products Apple is rumored to be working on at the moment - a smartwatch and a TV.
- Soon after launching iTunes Store in India, Apple has rolled out the Apple TV media streaming box in the country.
- According to Nielsen, smartphone and tablet owners are spending 9% and 20% more on going to the movie theater and on home entertainment than those who shun the technology.
- Seeking unlimited possibilities of Liquid Crystal and discovering new applications for daily life
- Atmel moves its groundbreaking XSense touch sensor into mass production
- Atmel achieves Windows 8 certification for XSense, the innovative flexible touch sensor material
- Digitimes Research: China second-tier panel makers shift away from production of large-size panels to small- to medium-size panels
- The world's first e-Paper display GPS cycle computer - SporTrek 1170
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
As Ultra HD TVs are gaining popularity in the market due to their increased resolution and decreased pricing, coupled with vendors' plans to work more...
Touch Taiwan 2013 exhibition will take place from August 28-30 in Taipei and will feature major players in the industry, such as Sharp, Truly Optoelectronics,...
Ultra HD TV panels are a hot topic for the TV industry in 2013, but market observers have mixed views as to how far they will penetrate into the market...
Taiwan-based TFT-LCD panel maker AU Optronics (AUO) saw its business operation swing from total net...
Taiwan-based Chimei Group, once a major LCD panel maker, now focuses on providing upstream components...
Singapore-based Gajah International Pte Ltd (Gajah) has won several Computex 2013 Design and Innovation...
Leading cover glass manufacturer Corning has been continuing to expand its influence in the cover glass...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...