- 28 Nov 2014:4K TVs have been available for several years now, but shipments in 2014 have significantly accelerated due to broader competition and more accessible price points activating new consumer groups.
- Apple has updated its support document detailing 4K displays with Mac support to add LG's recently announced 31-inch 4K monitor (31MU97).
- So to help you make a more informed decision, especially given that this has been a far from vintage year for TV quality generally, here's my list of the 10 best TVs (five 4K, five HD) I've tested in 2014.
- 25 Nov 2014:Prices for 4K monitors have dropped below $500, bringing them within the reach of cost-conscious buyers looking to replace 1080p displays.
- I recently spent a month with two of AOC's latest models: a 24-incher with NVIDIA G-Sync support for serious gaming, and a 4K 28-inch display that puts a premium on pixels. Could either one convince me to let go of my trusty Viewsonic?
- Apple packed the biggest display it's ever made onto the iPhone 6 Plus, and while its 1920?1080 resolution is great for streaming 1080p videos, it turns out that Apple also secretly added 4K video support without telling anyone.
- OLED displays and smart-phone/tablet screens are going to see "spectacular" growth rates over the next few years according to a stud from Infiniti Research/TechNavio. The analyst firm say that the global OLED display market will grow at a CAGR of 36.7% in the period to 2018.
- A review of Apple's recent job listings suggests Universal Display's long-term future might include spots inside Apple's iDevices.
- 21 Nov 2014:According to Qualcomm, who builds many of today's key technologies in mobile, 4K smartphones are just around the corner, and they'll take pixel counts to an - arguably absurd - new level.
- It's not an easy time to be shopping for a new TV. Do you want that crisp 4K resolution, or a gorgeous new OLED display?
- 19 Nov 2014:The last remaining hurdle to flexible, bendable, rollable OLED displays allowing designers to create myriad devices that can bend, flex, and conform to almost any shape over and over without damage has been solved by Kateeva Inc. (Menlo Park, Calif.).
- 18 Nov 2014:When critics of Samsung see the Korean technology mega-corporation turn out yet another huge, impressively sharp screen for a new phone or tablet computer, it makes them see red. Well, not red, actually-more like a super-saturated, unrealistically bright version of red.
- There's just one rather large hurdle LG needs to clear: how to make notoriously hard-to-produce OLED TVs affordable enough for ?śnormal people' to buy.
- 12 Nov 2014:
- 11 Nov 2014:LG Display has revealed its future plans for P-OLED displays, which could include using the new type of screen on smartphones, tablets, computers, and even TVs.
- 7 Nov 2014:The new Ultra HD screen could be ready in time for Samsung's next Galaxy Note device, according to blog site Phone Arena.
- I have seen the future of high definition displays and lo, it is glorious. Not to mention rollable, foldable, and clearly superior to LCD/LED-really every other panel technology available today.
- 6 Nov 2014:Could social media have predicted the failure of 3D TVs and its successor 4K?
- 4 Nov 2014:This imposingly named premium laptop line adds an Ultra HD screen for high-res PC gaming.
- There's typically two touchscreen devices consumers use in 2014: a smartphone and a tablet.
- Kim Hyun-seok, head of Samsung Electronics' TV business, has told reporters in Seoul that it's still too early for the company to launch OLED TVs and that Samsung's "strategy on OLED TV this year as well as next year remains unchanged."
- 31 Oct 2014:LG Electronics Inc (066570.KS), maker of expensive OLED display televisions, said it will supplement its line-up of next-generation TVs with sets using cheaper quantum dot display technology under a dual-track strategy.
- This monitor is designed for video production, which is the primary reason for buying a 5K display as opposed to a 4K display.
- 28 Oct 2014:South Korea's LG Electronics said on Tuesday that it will end the production of plasma display televisions by end-November in order to focus its efforts on liquid crystal display and OLED TVs.
- Samsung Electronics plan to introduce a cadmium-free quantum dot TV (QD TV) next year.
- ARM, whose processors are used in most mobile devices today, is supercharging its latest Mali graphics technology to bring 4K graphics to tablets and smartphones, while also extending device battery life.
- 24 Oct 2014:A year after the launch of the first good-sized OLED TV, we've got a few new models, new resolutions, new sizes...but still only two companies making them (arguably, just one).
- Apple's 5K Retina iMac continues to slip in ship times, proof that the company's problem syncing supply and demand is getting worse, not better.
- 21 Oct 2014:Samsung's 4K monitor is one of the best deals in tech, and it's an even better deal than usual right now. Unlike most budget-minded 4K panels, this one actually runs at 60Hz over DisplayPort.
- Qualcomm has a plan to liberate 4K video from high-end smartphones, and it involves a Chromecast-like prototype TV dongle.
- Universal Display (OLED) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from Buy to Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
- 20 Oct 2014:The recent news that Netflix has started charging people who want to watch its UHD/4K content a substantially higher monthly subscription flies - potentially disastrously - in the face of everything that's made the company such a success.
- Unpaid receivables the firm owes could erode NT$1.7 a share from Sunflex's net profit and NT$0.95 a share from Career Technology's
- 17 Oct 2014:If you've been in the market for a new television, you've likely seen all of the new 4K displays at the stores. The major television manufacturers have come out with their own versions of the ultra-high definition sets even as the broadcast networks are still working to broadcast in 4K.
- 14 Oct 2014:Universal Display has long counted Samsung Display as its single largest customer given the inclusion of its OLED materials in Samsung's typically popular high-end Galaxy smartphones.
- Corrections and clarifications: An earlier version of this report misstated media attribution when sharing who first reported news of Netflix's rate change for Ultra HD content.
- 8 Oct 2014:GT Advanced Technologies Inc and its subsidiaries file for bankruptcy court protection under Chapter 11 - Company releaseGT Advanced Technologies Expects to continue "business as usual" with about US$85 million of cash on the balance sheet and plans to obtain debtor-in-possession financing.
- 3 Oct 2014:Everyone knows that if you can get it working, OLED offers far superior picture performance in practically every way that we can measure.
- In terms of technology that makes your TV's picture look better, 4K resolution and OLED screens are currently at the top of the heap.
- 30 Sep 2014:Best Buy believes that 4K Ultra High Definition televisions will give business a boost.
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- Touch-Controlled Living - Digital Technologies Transform the Face of Traditional Industries
- The incredible anti-germ performance of Fortrend Liquid Diamond
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Digitimes Research: CES 2105 highlights new developments of parts and components for smartwatches
- Digitimes Research: Ultra HD BD players not likely to be available until end of 2015
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, LG, Panasonic bent on competing against Android TV
- Display trends for 2015
- Will Xiaomi be a target for Foxconn's new collaboration with Innolux?
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...