- 5 Sep 2016:Apple Watch 2 components show 'noticeably thinner' display, expected battery boost (Sep 1) - 9to5Mac.comWe're expecting to see Apple introduce the Apple Watch 2 alongside the iPhone 7 at next week's September 7 event, and now alleged components from the updated watch are finally starting to leak.
- 31 Aug 2016:
- 30 Aug 2016:Apple has been sued by owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus smartphones who say a design defect causes the phones' touchscreens to become unresponsive, making them unusable
- 29 Aug 2016:Apple invents sapphire coating equipment to strengthen glass for future OLED displays (Aug 26) - Patently AppleThe US Patent and Trademark Office has published a patent application from Apple titled "Electronic Devices with Sapphire-Coated Substrates." The invention is designed to add a sapphire coating to future OLED displays like those that will begin shipping in 2017 and beyond.
- 24 Aug 2016:growing number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices affected by insidious 'touch disease' (Aug 23) - Mac RumorsAs the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus approach their second birthday, a growing number of users are suffering from what appears to be a latent manufacturing issue that presents as a gray flickering bar at the top of the screen and a display that's unresponsive or less responsive to touch.
- 18 Aug 2016:Five of Samsung Group subsidiaries have slashed about 5,700 jobs so far in 2016 via voluntary retirement programs, according to the units' regulatory filings on Thursday.
- 12 Aug 2016:An Associated Press investigation has found South Korean authorities have, at Samsung's request, repeatedly withheld from workers and their bereaved families crucial information about chemicals they were exposed to at its computer chip and LCD factories. Sick workers are supposed to have access to such data through the government or the courts so they can apply for workers' compensation from the state. Without it, government officials commonly reject their cases.
- 30 Jul 2016:The US market isn't the only reason to buy Vizio, but it's a big one.
- 28 Jul 2016:South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics said on Thursday it expects solid earnings to continue in the second half of 2016, with stronger components demand likely offsetting heightened margin pressures for smartphones.
- 22 Jul 2016:
- 15 Jul 2016:It is no secret that smartphone component manufacturing is slowing down, so is Samsung aiming for the next booming business, supplying batteries to electric vehicles?
- Apple supplier LG Display pivots towards OLEDs in face of slower iPhone sales, Chinese competition (Jul 13) - Apple InsiderSamsung is rumored to be in exclusive talks with Apple about OLED supply, and could be set to ship panels as soon as 2017. LG will presumably miss out on supplying OLED screens for 2017 iPhones, but could be in a position to join the supply chain for 2018.
- 7 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics expects to post its most profitable quarter in more than two years because of strong sales of its flagship S7 line of smartphones.
- Taiwan is bracing itself for the arrival of a vast typhoon, expected to hit the island on Friday.
- 5 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics, which has continued streamlining its workforce on its home turf, reduced more than 10,000 employees in the all-important Chinese market during 2015.
- Samsung has officially denied The Korea Times report that it has split off its OLED display business and plans to get rid of its LCD production lines. While the statement denies Samsung has already split off its OLED business, it doesn't necessarily mean it might not do so in the future.
- 1 Jul 2016:
- 30 Jun 2016:An Apple patent application published on Tuesday backs the company's apparent interest in using micro-LED technology in future products, one possibility being the Apple Watch.
- Samsung is also reported to considering relocating its European headquarters in London to a location in Europe.
- 29 Jun 2016:Samsung Display is reportedly planning to sell its liquid-crystal display equipment at its L7 manufacturing line in Tangjeong-myeon, South Chuncheong Province.
- Dow Chemical to cut 4% of workforce as it completes DuPont merger (Jun 28) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Dow Chemical on Tuesday said it planned to cut 2,500 jobs globally, or about 4% of its workforce, as it works to complete its megamerger with DuPont.
- 24 Jun 2016:UKIP leader Nigel Farage hailed it as the UK's "independence day" but the Remain camp called it a "catastrophe."
- 22 Jun 2016:Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 30 May 2016:Apple watchers can add "OLED display" to the list of features we're expecting in the iPhone 7, as hinted by the CEO of Applied Materials.
- 19 May 2016:
- 17 May 2016:Toshiba posted a wider-than-forecast operating loss after the troubled electronics conglomerate wrote down the value of its Westinghouse power unit.
- 13 May 2016:Foxconn Group chairman Terry Gou wasted little time addressing his newly acquired employees at Sharp, warning of job cuts while promising to reward workers who put their "heart and soul" into rebuilding one of the world's iconic brands.
- 12 May 2016:Japan's electronics giant Panasonic plans to sell its two plasma display plants at its Amagasaki site in Hyogo Prefecture, western Japan, to a Singapore-based investment firm, according to The Nikkei.
- 29 Apr 2016:Panasonic sees profit falling this year on slower emerging markets (Apr 28) - Reuters (via Yahoo! News)Panasonic forecast its profit to fall in the current business year amid slower growth in emerging markets as well as planned investments in automotive technologies and high-end consumer electronics.
- 20 Apr 2016:New Corning Gorilla Glass product extension enables manufacturers to create colorful design options for devices while ensuring durability and optical clarity.
- 18 Apr 2016:
- 7 Apr 2016:The improved outlook comes amid reports of strong sales of its latest flagship smartphone models, the Galaxy S7.
- 28 Mar 2016:The takeover bid by Hon Hai of Taiwan for Sharp, a chronically loss-making Japanese electronics firm, is being watched closely as a test of Japan's openness to foreign investment. But it is also being scrutinised back in Taiwan.
- 21 Mar 2016:Canon Inc. agreed to buy Toshiba Corp.'s medical equipment unit for 665.5 billion yen (US$5.9 billion) as the world's biggest maker of cameras seeks new growth. Canon is buying a business that makes diagnostic imaging systems such as MRI, X-ray and ultrasound equipment. It would also take the company into competition with General Electric, Royal Philips NV and Siemens AG for MRI machines that typically cost more than US$100,000 each.
- 15 Mar 2016:The laptops-to-nuclear conglomerate said it had overstated past profits by JPY5.8 billion (US$51.30 million) on a pretax basis due to seven new accounting errors, on top of the 224.8 billion in overstated profits it has already announced.
- Toshiba is in late-stage negotiations to sell its white goods business to Chinese household appliance giant Midea Group, a move that would mark another chapter in Japan's drastically changing home electronics industry.
- 3 Mar 2016:Samsung Electronics Display is ceasing the operations of its TV manufacturing plant in Seremban due to challenging business environment and changing market conditions.
- 4 Feb 2016:Toshiba said it would record the biggest annual loss in its 140-year-old history as the firm wrote down the book value of several units, including energy and infrastructure, while restructuring costs ballooned.
- 22 Jan 2016:A new LCD display technology for 4K UHD is called Quantum Dots. On the other hand, Organic LEDs are often mentioned as a next generation technology for iPhone displays.
- AppleInsider points us to a recently published U.S. patent application from Apple which suggests that Apple may at some point in the future consider a wrap-around OLED display for the iPhone.
- Celebrating its 20th anniversary, Microtips focuses on continuing revenue growth rather than rapid expansion
- CAYIN's latest digital signage player debuts at InfoComm China 2017
- Abon Touchsystems partners with Palwonn to launch AbonMax large size interactive whiteboard, leading industry development
- PALWONN/ABONTOUCH's AbonMax series touch panel took challenges against Microsoft Surface Hub and Google Jamboard
- Industrial display leader Litemax to showcase world's first resized 4K2K LCDs at InnoTrans
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Touch IC developers turning to fingerprint sensors
- Digitimes Research: Dell high-end LCD monitors may be 24-, 27-inch models
- Is Quantum Dot the next big thing for the TV market?
- Apple updates iMac family with new Ultra HD and 5K Retina displays
- CES 2014: Asustek to showcase latest smartphones, 2-in-1 and gaming monitor
- Lenovo releases new ThinkCentra AIO desktops
- Asustek introduces MB168 Series portable USB-powered monitor
- Samsung introduces monitor featuring hand-tuned color calibration and quad HD display
Foxconn has taken over Sharp, and is keen on rejuvenating the Japanese brand.
Ultra HD, or 4K, is becoming mainstream resolution in the TV market.
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
As part of Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen's five-plus-two innovative industries initiative, Taiwan is...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...