- 21 Mar 2014:Samsung Display plans to hike its investment in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) by as much as 14 percent this year from a year ago to meet the rising demand for panels that provide ultra high-definition (UHD) picture quality.
- South Korea's tech giant Samsung Electronics said Friday it will make efforts to tap deeper into the US Ultra HD (UHD) TV market and roll out customized product lineups for consumers there.
- 19 Mar 2014:
- 14 Mar 2014:LG Electronics has been super aggressive in its mission to dominate the next-generation TV world, and it's just upped the ante with the launch of its 2014 TV lineup in its home nation of Korea - unveiling no less than 68 brand new models.
- In the evolution of resolution, 4K is the next step up from 1080p. Standard definition started with a resolution of 640x480 (480i/p), then we went up to HD for the first time with 1280x720 (720p), and finally topped out at 1920x1080 (1080i/p) for awhile.
- 11 Mar 2014:Here come the Retina Macs? Apple reportedly adding ?˜pixel doubled' 4K monitor support to OS X (March 7) - TimeApple's reportedly poised to shore up ultra high-definition display support across its desktop and laptop lines.
- 7 Mar 2014:Apple building support for driving 4K displays at ?˜Retina' resolution, 60Hz output from 2013 MacBook Pros - 9to5Mac.comEarlier today, Apple provided developers with the first beta for the upcoming release of OS X Mavericks version 10.9.3.
- Even though CES 2014 is long gone, some of the stuff announced there is just now starting to become available for purchase.
- 6 Mar 2014:Hillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec collaborate on sensor hub solution for head-mounted displays and wearable devices (March 6) - Company releaseHillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec have announced a partnership to launch a new sensor solution for head-mounted displays (HMDs).
- 24 Feb 2014:Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth claims that Apple has acquired a large supply of sapphire displays, possibly alluding to displays with sapphire material that would be used on a future Apple iPhone.
- 18 Feb 2014:As if 3D TV and OLED vs. plasma vs. LED TVs and 120Hz and the Soap Opera Effect weren't confusing enough, in the last year we have seen the rise of a new HDTV technology called 4K. Or if you use its official name, Ultra High Definition (UHD).
- 10 Feb 2014:Struggling chip-maker Renesas Electronics will withdraw from the market for small liquid crystal displays as part of efforts to turn around its business, an industry source said Saturday.
- 7 Feb 2014:The iPhone maker appears to be ramping up its plans for sapphire displays in future mobile devices, according to a report from 9to5Mac.
- 6 Feb 2014:Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Coming: Rumors Suggest 10-MP Camera, New Screen Technology, Possible June Launch (Feb 4) - International Bussiness TimesA newly released report hit the Web Monday, fueling iPhone 6 rumors that Apple's next generation will come in two different sizes.
- 28 Jan 2014:Apple patents sapphire display tech after last year's US$578 million deal with sapphire maker (Jan 23) - TechCrunchApple has had a patent approved today (via AppleInsider) that could make it a leader in a new kind of display material technology: Sapphire glass.
- A woman driving to a job interview gets lost. Not wanting to be late, she pulls up a map and the transparent display appears on her windshield, helping her find her way.
- 23 Jan 2014:Something's afoot at Tivo, and it started today with five lay-offs.
- 22 Jan 2014:Global phablet shipments to reach over 120 million by 2018, finds Juniper Research (January 21) - Company releasePhablets, smartphones with displays 5.6 inches and above, are forecast to flourish in Far East and China, Juniper Research said in its new report.
- 21 Jan 2014:New research from market analysis firm IHS appears to have confirmed the bad news given to us by Samsung last week - that it'll be several years before OLED TV hits the mainstream, as all bar one television maker focus their efforts on ultra high-definition (UHD) displays instead.
- According to South Korean news site ETNews, Samsung used CES 2014 to secretly showcase a new smartphone prototype to VIP attendees. The kicker? The new device apparently features a foldable touch-sensitive OLED display.
- TAITRA looking for next big thing in display panel sector (Jan 15) - China Post (USE The China Post)The Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) in a press event yesterday outlined its primary objectives for the year, and urged Taiwan's display panel industry toward innovating new products and technologies to face off against tremendous competition from across the strait.
- Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display (Jan 20) - Apple InsiderMonday morning brought two questionable reports about Apple's plans for the future, with one Korean publication speculating that LG has won a contract to supply displays for Apple's still-unannounced "iWatch" and a Chinese website claiming a next-gen 4.7-inch iPhone will be unveiled at WWDC.
- 17 Jan 2014:A research firm reports that the iPhone 6 could ship with a 5.5-inch display with 1920 x 1080 resolution, yielding a density of 401 pixels per inch (ppi). It's about time.
- Windows 8 is chock-full of good ideas, but the execution is still lacking at times. As Windows 9 rumors swirl, here are five things we'd like to see Microsoft include.
- Using a sensor, chip and antenna, the smart lens could monitor a diabetic's glucose levels.
- 16 Jan 2014:Samsung made waves at the 2014 International CES last week with the unveiling of its Galaxy Note Pro and Galaxy Tab Pro tablets, but behind the scenes, the manufacturer was showing off technology, which may be featured in future devices.
- From smartphones and high-definition TVs to digital displays, display technology has advanced in leaps and bounds to become ubiquitous the world over.
- Korean company rumoured to be readying release of metal and plastic version of S5 after slow sales of 2013's Galaxy S4.
- Pivot Acquisition Corp. Chairman and Former Apple CEO John Sculley discusses Apple products and how he thinks that we will see a wild product in 2014.
- 10 Jan 2014:Popularizing ultra-high-definition TV and making homes "smarter" will be the major focus for South Korean technology giant Samsung Electronics in 2014, the company's co-CEO said in a rare interview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
- 8 Jan 2014:Danish electronics manufacturer Bang & Olufsen is now shipping the latest version of the Opera Devices Software Development Kit on selected high-end connected TVs.
- 7 Jan 2014:Vizio is not including 3D support in any models of its 2014 lineup of TVs - a concrete sign the CE industry's stereoscopic dreams are fading. Instead, Vizio is pinning future growth on Ultra HD, launching a new series of 4K-capable sets with support for Netflix's content in the high-resolution format.
- UltraHD TVs, also known as 4K TV because they have four times as many pixels on screen as high-definition TVs, are expected to be the hot seller in televisions this year, according to a Toshiba executive as well as market research firm NPD.
- Your TV is about to become more like your tablet or your smartphone. A company named Roku showed off their new TV at the consumer electronics show in Las Vegas.
- 26 Dec 2013:Sony and Panasonic said on Wednesday that they will end joint development of organic light emitting diode (OLED) television screens.
- 25 Dec 2013:If only smartwatches had color displays, weren't too thick or big, and could last at least seven days on a charge. Wouldn't that be great?
- 16 Dec 2013:
- 2 Dec 2013:South Korea's largest family-owned conglomerate, Samsung Group, on Monday promoted the group owner's daughter to president of its de-facto holding firm.
- 27 Nov 2013:More perilous than snark hunting is the annual search for the best big screen deal. The good news? You can ignore Black Friday and Cyber Monday (those sets are usually cheap clearance models). The bad news? There's scores of sets out there vying for your dollars and telling the difference between them in a box store can be nearly impossible.
- Google has invited another round of developers to purchase Google Glass, which is not yet on the market.
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- Touch-Controlled Living - Digital Technologies Transform the Face of Traditional Industries
- The incredible anti-germ performance of Fortrend Liquid Diamond
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan LCD monitor shipments reach 24.47 million in 4Q13
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Gaining an advantage in emerging markets: Q&A with India-based handset player Micromax
- Voices from India: How can Taiwan best tap the booming India handset market
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
China panel makers are continuing to increase their production capacity in addition to improving their technology. Some market observers say this is...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
Silicon Image is a semiconductor IP company whose expertise is connecting boxes to displays. The company...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...