- 30 Dec 2015:Toshiba, reeling from a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, said it intends to ask for a new JPY300 billion ($2.49 billion) credit line by the end of January to fund a large-scale restructuring.
- 23 Dec 2015:Samsung Securities said on Dec. 13 that it trimmed Samsung Electronics' operating profit forecast for the fourth quarter by KRW300 trillion (US$253.91 million) to KRW6.8 trillion from the previous KRW7.1 trillion (US$6.01 billion) estimate due to sluggish sales in its component business.
- 17 Dec 2015:It has been found that Chinese companies in the LCD and semiconductor industries are trying to acquire Korean firms in partnership with Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix as well as technical engineers.
- 15 Dec 2015:Toshiba is looking to cut up to 7,000 jobs, as it looks to streamline operations in the wake of an accounting scandal, the Nikkei business daily reported.
- Apple opened a production laboratory in northern Taiwan where engineers are developing new display technologies, according to people with knowledge of the facility.
- 10 Dec 2015:
- 8 Dec 2015:TCL will go to CES with a 110-inch curved Ultra HD TV that features high dynamic range and wide color gamut, but the company isn't talking yet about price or availability.
- 4 Dec 2015:I'll start with the bad news. Even though TVs with 4K/Ultra high-definition resolution have been available for a couple of years now, there still aren't a lot of actual 4K TV shows and movies available.
- 1 Dec 2015:British scientists have invented a new type of touchscreen material that requires very little power to illuminate, with vivid colours and high visibility in direct sunlight.
- More Ultra HD content (aka 4K content) is coming to DirecTV consumers soon. The satellite service provider has updated plans to launch a live 4K broadcasting service "early in 2016," reports Advanced Television. Sports transmissions are already being tested.
- 20 Nov 2015:Apple acknowledges iPad Pro screen blackouts, offers no immediate word of upcoming fix (Nov 19) - Apple InsiderApple on Thursday posted a new support document on its website, responding to complaints about iPad Pros suddenly going black and refusing to accept touch or button input.
- The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has found that a typical 4K TV uses 30% more energy than that of a HD TV.
- 17 Nov 2015:South Korea's LG Display Co. maintained its top position in the large-sized panel market for the sixth consecutive year, data showed Tuesday, coming in far above other South Korean and Taiwanese rivals.
- The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal filed by manufacturers of liquid crystal displays that are contesting claims that they infringe on a patent held by Eidos Display.
- 13 Nov 2015:A new public TV tech shoot-out, though, has suggested that it's finally time to let plasma rest in peace and embrace its natural successor: OLED.
- ?‹The South Korean government on Wednesday announced its intention to work with tech businesses to boost export growth amid sluggish trade figures.
- 2 Nov 2015:Samsung Electronic's earnings are heading in the right direction for the first time in nearly two years thanks to its semiconductor and display businesses.
- 16 Oct 2015:The rumors get exceeded in Apple's new 21.5 inch 4K Retina iMac with "True" 4K resolution (Oct 15) - 4KWell it seems that Apple likes to buck the trend, at least when it comes to the UHD 4K-level Retina desktop PCs it finally gets around to releasing here and there.
- 13 Oct 2015:LG's new pricing takes between 30% and 45% off the prices of its new flat-screened EF9500 and curved EG9600 4K UHD TVs, as well as bringing full HD OLED down to below $2,000 for the first time.
- Flexible displays have been promised for years, but the technology may finally take off.
- 7 Oct 2015:Samsung Electronics estimated July-September operating profit would leap 80% from a year earlier to 7.3 trillion won ($6.3 billion), higher than a 6.7 trillion won profit Thomson Reuters SmartEstimate derived from 30 analysts.
- Rumor has it that the new iMacs could be in stores as early as Tuesday, October 13.
- The Vizio RS120-B3 is a 120-inch LED TV that is not only capable of 4K UHD and HDR, but comes with 384 zones of backlights - individual areas that can be turned on and off to produce greater contrast - and will cost a deal-breaking $130,000 ... well, $140,725 after tax.
- 2 Oct 2015:Ultra High Definition or 4K televisions offer screen resolutions that are four times that of Full HD.
- But the TVs' default energy-saving mode, which reduces screen brightness when watching video, is easily disabled, either explicitly or accidentally.
- 1 Oct 2015:Toshiba Corp (6502.T) may lay off staff in its underperforming home appliances, TV and PC businesses and seek a partner for its nuclear operations to overhaul the company after a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, its chief executive said on Thursday.
- 30 Sep 2015:LED. OLED. THEY sound so much alike-just one letter divides them!-but where large-screen, big-ticket TVs are concerned, they're very, very different.
- 25 Sep 2015:Normally, when we cover head-to-head display competitions, it's between smartphones or tablets, with the occasional dip into laptop comparisons.
- Leaks from close to Apple suggest that the company is seriously considering making the transition toward OLED displays for both the iPhone 8 and the IPad series.
- Amazon has revealed details of six new pilot TV shows scheduled to debut in the fall exclusively through the Amazon Prime services in the US, UK, Germany and Austria.
- Foxconn Technology Group has signed a letter of intent to buy a stake in Sharp Corp.'s liquid-crystal display business in a deal that would give Foxconn management control as the Japanese electronics maker spins off the unit, according to people familiar with the plan.
- 16 Sep 2015:From November 1st, though, NASA is going to leverage the huge leap in video resolution introduced by the arrival of 4K UHD technology to share its exploration of the final frontier with the whole of North America via a new UHD TV channel.
- Sony Electronics is bringing High Dynamic Range (HDR) support to more of its 4K Ultra HD televisions.
- 15 Sep 2015:Japan's stock exchange ordered Toshiba to pay a record fine of Y91.2m ($750,000) in the wake of a $2bn accounting scandal, marking another reputational blow to the lossmaking nuclear-to-semiconductor conglomerate.
- 8 Sep 2015:Ultra High Definition televisions (aka 4K TVs) have been readily available for a few years now. Good reasons for buying one? Much harder to find. That may be changing, however, thanks to announcements from a handful of big-screen manufacturers at the IFA trade show here in Berlin.
- From a purely aesthetic perspective, it has to be said that LG's new 65-inch 65EF9500 and 55-inch 55EF9500 flat OLED TVs don't look as dramatically stylish as their curved counterparts.
- Samsung is targeting workers in the human resources, public relations and finance departments, Korea Economic Daily reported Tuesday, citing people it didn't identify.
- 4 Sep 2015:Today at IFA, Panasonic announced its first-ever 4K OLED television. The 65-inch 4K Viera CZ-950 has been color-tuned in collaboration with professional Hollywood colorist Mike Sowa, and is designed to deliver colors - including an "Absolute Black" - the way that directors and cinematographers intended.
- 1 Sep 2015:Flexible 7 inch touch panel with integrated OLED display developed (Sep 1) - Printed Electronics ReviewTogether with ITRI, Taiwan, Heraeus, demonstrated the integration of CleviosTM conductive polymer based touch panel with AM OLED technology in a highly flexible device.
- Sharp Corp. is leaning toward spinning off its liquid-crystal display business into a joint venture with a third party, rather than selling the unit outright, people familiar with the matter said.
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan makers ship nearly 313 million small- to medium-size TFT-LCD panels in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan makers ship over 10 million LCD TVs in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: China makers aggressively expanding AMOLED capacity
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan makers ship 312.94 million small- to medium-size TFT-LCD panels in 4Q16
- Abon Touchsystems partners with Palwonn to launch AbonMax large size interactive whiteboard, leading industry development
- PALWONN/ABONTOUCH's AbonMax series touch panel took challenges against Microsoft Surface Hub and Google Jamboard
- Industrial display leader Litemax to showcase world's first resized 4K2K LCDs at InnoTrans
- Elo expands projected capacitive touchscreen line
- Merck holds Display Insight 2015 in Taiwan to showcase its new branding and latest display technologies
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Touch IC developers turning to fingerprint sensors
- Digitimes Research: Dell high-end LCD monitors may be 24-, 27-inch models
- Is Quantum Dot the next big thing for the TV market?
- Apple updates iMac family with new Ultra HD and 5K Retina displays
- CES 2014: Asustek to showcase latest smartphones, 2-in-1 and gaming monitor
- Lenovo releases new ThinkCentra AIO desktops
- Asustek introduces MB168 Series portable USB-powered monitor
- Samsung introduces monitor featuring hand-tuned color calibration and quad HD display
Foxconn has taken over Sharp, and is keen on rejuvenating the Japanese brand.
Ultra HD, or 4K, is becoming mainstream resolution in the TV market.
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...