- 10 Jul 2014:LG Display announced that it's been able to create an 18-inch OLED panel that has enough give and flexibility to roll into a tube that's a mere 3cm across.
- 9 Jul 2014:The company's new edge-lit 60- and 70-inch UD27U 4K TVs will have native refresh rates of 120Hz, as well as motion-handling features that purportedly simulate a 480Hz refresh rate.
- Taiwan's leading flat-panel maker Innolux Corporation and Taiwan-based contract manufacturer Foxconn are set to ship seven million 23.6-inch TVs to Mexico after winning a three-year contract in the country, reports our Chinese-language sister newspaper Commercial Times.
- 4 Jul 2014:The latest move by Samsung SDI to suspend production of plasma display panels (PDP) will help improve its earnings, according to analysts.
- 3 Jul 2014:LG Display is working to forge deals with key Chinese players to supply OLED panels and accelerate OLED TV adoption. The end goal, an LG Display official later revealed, is to bring OLED TV prices down to a mere 10% premium to competing LCDs.
- 2 Jul 2014:Following far too closely on the heels of Panasonic 's similar announcement, Samsung has said it will end production of plasma televisions, leaving LCDs and an aging OLED display as their only TV offerings.
- 1 Jul 2014:How much would you fork out for a 77-inch, curved, 4K, OLED TV? Well, LG hopes you're hovering around a couple of grand per descriptor.
- 27 Jun 2014:The FIFA Football World Cup 2014 in Brasil is expected to be a popular spectator sport in India.
- LG is looking into cranking up production of plastic OLED displays for smartwatches and phones (June 25) - Business InsiderLG Display Co will consider whether to make additional investments to boost production capacity of plastic OLED displays for smartwatches and smartphones, the company's chief executive said.
- 26 Jun 2014:Google gave developers an early look at Android TV at its I/O conference Wednesday, its newest attempt to let Android-based devices work better with HDTVs, set-tops and other entertainment systems.
- 23 Jun 2014:Ultra HD 4k HDTVs a waste of money over 1080p for PC, PlayStation, and Xbox gamers? (June 22) - InquisitirIs an Ultra HD 4k HDTV a waste of money in comparison to the now standard 1080p when it comes to PC, PlayStation, and Xbox gamers?
- The dueling operating systems from Apple Inc. and Google Inc. already run on 95 percent of the smartphones sold around the world. Now the two giants are about to go head to head in the next frontier of mobile computing: the automobile.
- 17 Jun 2014:Last month, shares of Universal Display Corporation plunged when production difficulties reportedly caused Samsung to abandon plans for building a new large screen OLED television manufacturing facility. But if recent technological advancements from Universal Display are any indication, those difficulties may not be an issue for long.
- Growing demand for ultra-high definition (HD) 4K televisions will likely benefit Taiwanese suppliers of the chips that control LCD flat-panel displays, according to Morgan Stanley.
- Is 3D video on the decline, destined to return to the realm of novelty? Not if you ask IMAX.
- 26 May 2014:Japan Display Inc, the world's biggest maker of liquid crystal displays for smartphones and tablets, is considering setting up a joint venture with Sony Corp and Panasonic Corp to develop organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays, sources familiar with the matter said.
- Apple has released a minor update through the OS X 10.9.3. The latest Mavericks Mac operating system offers improved support for 4K display for the 15-MacBook Pro and newest Mac.
- 23 May 2014:The feature could eventually find its way to future iPhones if Apple decides to bring bendable features to the devices.
- When Nvidia's G-Sync technology hit the PC gaming scene last year, there was a vocal group of enthusiasts crying out for a 4K model.
- The decision to make 4K content proprietary displays some truly stunning corporate hubris by two of the biggest players in Ultra HD "4K," potentially sabotaging its very adoption and acceptance.
- 16 May 2014:The company held a briefing on Wednesday in New York about its upcoming lines and its plans for the future. The main emphasis was on 4K, or ultra-high definition (UHD) televisions, and how its history with plasma panels will reflect that. Panasonic also focused heavily on 4K gaming with PCs.
- The Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi today unveiled a 49-inch Android-based smart TV for the equivalent of just $640. That arguably wouldn't be a bad price even if it were just a 1080p model, but the "MI TV 2" sports a full 4K resolution that makes it a potential bargain - at least for shoppers in the Far East.
- The new 10.9.3 update to Mavericks offers improved support for 4K displays. Before the update, Retina MacBook Pros and the new Mac Pro were able to drive 4K displays, but using any resolutions below the monitor's native resolution would result in soft, slightly blurry-looking screen elements and jaggy text.
- The Chinese technology upstart Xiaomi, known for selling smartphones online at heavily discounted prices, just intensified its attack on some of the biggest companies in technology-Samsung, HTC, and even mighty Apple.
- 13 May 2014:Shares in Japanese electronics maker Sharp rose as much as 7.7% to 279 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Tuesday after it swung back to profit.
- 6 May 2014:Samsung's new Tab S tablets will feature 2560?1600 AMOLED displays, fingerprint sensors - leak (May 5) - Andorid AuthoritySamsung is going to launch a brand new line of Android tablets soon, according to a credible report. Dubbed Galaxy Tab S, these devices will feature powerful specifications, fingerprint sensors, and high definition AMOLED displays.
- George Heilmeier dies at 77; was a principal developer of liquid-crystal display technology (May 4) - The Washington Post (via The Indianapolis Star)George Heilmeier, one of the principal creators of the liquid-crystal display (LCD) technology that made it possible to hang television sets on walls and carry computers in coat pockets, died April 21 at a hospital in Plano, Tex., near Dallas. He was 77.
- Apple used to push display technology with its products, most notably when it brought the Retina Display to the iPhone. But that hasn't been the case lately, which makes its recent acquisition of tiny LuxVue Technology all the more interesting.
- 21 Apr 2014:Ultra HD (sometimes called "4K") televisions have been around for more than a year, but until now held limited appeal. Prices were stratospheric, making it hard to justify a bump in clarity. Now Ultra HD prices are flying closer to Earth: Brand-name sets start below $2,500, and $5,000 will get you Samsung's top 65-inch curved-screen HU9000, which I tested this week.
- LG is planning on flooding the market with glassless TVs in 2017.
- 18 Apr 2014:LG Display Co., a South Korean maker of flat-panel screens for TVs and smartphones, expects the outlook for its key business to get worse this year due to a rapid fall in panel prices, but its first-quarter earnings could beat analysts' expectations, a senior company executive said Thursday.
- 8 Apr 2014:
- 1 Apr 2014:The Korean electronics giant is weeks away from delivering 28 inches of Ultra HD goodness at a price that should continue the march toward mainstream 4K adoption.
- Almost everything about an Apple-Comcast television service is guesswork at this point - and, unsurprisingly, neither Apple nor Comcast are talking about it.
- 28 Mar 2014:Sony has announced a new e-ink based digital reader aimed at the professional market, named the Digital Paper.
- 25 Mar 2014:Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro (Mar 230 - Apple InsiderApple has made clear its intent to support ultra high-resolution displays with the latest Mac and OS X products, but without a 4K display of its own (yet) the company sells only one UHD monitor as a go-along with its flagship Mac Pro: Sharp's PN-K321.
- 21 Mar 2014:Samsung Display plans to hike its investment in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) by as much as 14 percent this year from a year ago to meet the rising demand for panels that provide ultra high-definition (UHD) picture quality.
- South Korea's tech giant Samsung Electronics said Friday it will make efforts to tap deeper into the US Ultra HD (UHD) TV market and roll out customized product lineups for consumers there.
- 19 Mar 2014:
- 14 Mar 2014:LG Electronics has been super aggressive in its mission to dominate the next-generation TV world, and it's just upped the ante with the launch of its 2014 TV lineup in its home nation of Korea - unveiling no less than 68 brand new models.
- Focusing on four innovative applications, Merck unveils future display technologies at 2015 Touch Taiwan
- FORTREND Flexible Nano Liquid Diamond coated Touch Panel
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Touch IC developers turning to fingerprint sensors
- Digitimes Research: Dell high-end LCD monitors may be 24-, 27-inch models
- Is Quantum Dot the next big thing for the TV market?
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
4K TVs continue to grow strong in the market and are expected to more than double in 2015. Panel makers and TV vendors alike are eying opportunities...
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...