- 19 Jul 2013:Apple details in-display fingerprint sensor tech in patent filing from AuthenTec cofounder (July 18) - Apple InsiderThe U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday published one of the first AuthenTec patent applications assigned to Apple, with the property describing an advanced method of fingerprint identification that can be embedded into a mobile device's display.
- As India's smartphone market hovers on explosive growth comes the surprising news that Apple iPhone sales have tripped in the first quarter of 2013.
- Japan's Sharp is aiming to raise 100 billion yen (US$1 billion) from share sales by the end of September as the struggling display maker looks to partnerships and a public offering to bolster its finances.
- LG Display, the world's second-largest maker of flat-panels, posted second-quarter profit that missed analyst estimates on slower consumer demand for screens used in personal computers and televisions.
- 16 Jul 2013:Not too many people are talking about the future of dedicated e-readers these days, which is why I decided to meet with the folks from E Ink
- iPhone 5S hardware specs leak: 4-inch IGZO Retina display, 12MP camera, quad-core GPU, same CPU (July 15) - ExtremeTechThe new iPhone 5S is expected to have a quad-core PowerVR SGX544MP4 GPU, 4-inch (1136?640) IGZO display, 2GB of RAM, and the brand-new introduction of NFC and... a fingerprint scanner.
- Let's face it: smartphone screens are getting a little boring.
- Despite the prevailing opinion that the the PC is doomed, things could be a lot worse-at least in the United States.
- LG Display claims it has developed the world's thinnest full HD LCD display for smartphones, measuring just 2.2 millimeters thick.
- In the evening of Jul. 11, 2013, while her authentic, less than one-year-old iPhone 5 was being charged, she was struck suddenly by a powerful electrical current.
- 'Acqui-hiring' for wearable technology skills is under way as Cupertino company seeks followup to iPod, iPhone and iPad.
- 12 Jul 2013:Applied Materials demonstrates momentum for profitable growth in mobile era (July 8) - Company releaseConsumer demand for sophisticated mobile devices creates profitable growth opportunities for Applied's semiconductor and display equipment businesses.
- 9 Jul 2013:What is the reality of UHDTV/4KTV today? A lot like it was in the early days of HDTV; that is, beautiful displays that looked nice on the wall but very little to no content.
- Apple Prepares Battery Designs for Flexible Display Devices While their Maps App may Gain a Few Minor Features (July 4) - Patently AppleOn this July Fourth holiday we cover two distinct patent applications published by the US Patent & Trademark Office today.
- Wearable technology is all the rage these days, and Dell isn't immune to the peer pressure: its global VP of personal computing, Sam Burd, tells the Guardian that his company is "exploring ideas" in the field.
- The Samsung F8000 Smart TV is the jewel in the 2013 home-entertainment crown for the South Korean-gadget giant.
- Smart TV providers who wish to use HTML5 for their streaming ecosystems have been running into a wall with YouTube, according to Korea's ETNews.
- 4 Jul 2013:Apple Inc. (AAPL) is nearing a deal with Time Warner Cable Inc. (TWC) to give subscribers of the cable television service access to channels via Apple TV, people with knowledge of the negotiations said.
- If Google is right around the corner from announcing the next version of Android, it looks like the ASUS K009 may be the hardware that accompanies that release.
- 2 Jul 2013:Smaller 7-inch tablets and apps, such as the Amazon Kindle app, have made it easy to turn your tablet into an e-reader. But is it ideal for summertime reading outdoors?
- PCs are growing larger while tablets are getting smaller.
- 27 Jun 2013:Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer pitched upcoming "2-in-1" devices hard Wednesday at the Build Conference. Part of the pitch included mocking the dedicated tablet experience.
- With Windows 8, touchscreens are more relevant than ever before. However, some pundits have long believed that a touchscreen simply doesn't belong on a laptop. Sometimes, they quote Steve Jobs. "Touch surfaces don't want to be vertical." That's Jobs in 2010, telling the world why Apple notebooks wouldn't feature the technology.
- Westinghouse Digital's "Digital Whiteboard" is an 84-inch UltraHD monster that runs Windows 8. It costs $15,000, so for starters, this is headed to the lecture halls and boardrooms of the world. Unless you've got dollar, you won't see this beauty in your living room just yet. Which is a shame, because using it is like touching the future.
- 25 Jun 2013:
- With iOS 7 beta 2 out in the wild -- or to developers at least -- numerous hands-on videos have emerged, showing performance and new features.
- One common aspect of the systems now emerging is that the touch screen head unit represents the nexus of an ever-growing diversity of input signals.
- Thad Starner thinks people will soon crave the ultrafast communication that Google Glass makes possible.
- Now vending machine manufacturers and operators are beginning to recognize the attractiveness, flexibility and functionality that can be gained from touchscreen technology.
- For all of your smartphone-owning life, you've been told you can't use your expensive device while wearing gloves, no matter how low the mercury plummets. You weren't really sure why, you just knew it wasn't going to happen.
- Chipmaker Qualcomm is now Sharp's third-largest shareholder following the completion of a US$120 million investment in the ailing electronics firm.
- 20 Jun 2013:The recent groundbreaking development of Sharp Corp.'s high-definition, power-saving IGZO liquid crystals, which enable smaller pixels for higher screen resolutions and screen reaction speeds, would not have been possible without government funding for their basic research and development.
- Many companies are currently working on ways to build curved LCDs, or even flexible LCDs, that could be embedded into a contact.
- But one of the key players in LCD's development says the innovation wasn't "highly regarded" in its early years. Martin Schadt isn't exaggerating.
- "We need to say goodbye to the Sharp that we knew in recent years. We need to be ready to change everything at the company, other than the founding principles."
- It is possible to realize a glasses-free 3D theater display by positioning the projector behind the movie screen: see Figure 1(b).
- This year, the market size for high brightness (HB) LEDs is expected to reach $12bn and grow to $20.2bn by 2015. One application area driving this growth is the use of LEDs in backlight of TFT-LCDs.
- 18 Jun 2013:The smartphone and consumer electronics maker is close to launching an incubator space for startups that are developing software and services for phones, tablet computers and televisions.
- 17 Jun 2013:Amazon has reached a deal with Samsung to acquire "electrowetting" display maker Liquavista, the online retail giant recently said.
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- Touch-Controlled Living - Digital Technologies Transform the Face of Traditional Industries
- The incredible anti-germ performance of Fortrend Liquid Diamond
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan LCD monitor shipments reach 24.47 million in 4Q13
- Fortrend upgrades OGS touch panels with anti-interference capability
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Gaining an advantage in emerging markets: Q&A with India-based handset player Micromax
- Voices from India: How can Taiwan best tap the booming India handset market
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
- Digitimes Research: Youngfast, Melfas looking beyond G1F touch
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
China panel makers are continuing to increase their production capacity in addition to improving their technology. Some market observers say this is...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
Silicon Image is a semiconductor IP company whose expertise is connecting boxes to displays. The company...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...