- 10 Sep 2013:LG Electronics has officially cut the price on its 55-inch curved-screen FullHD OLED TV to US$9,999 in the U.S. and has dropped the price on its current 55-inch Ultra High-Definition LED LCD TV by another US$500, to US$4,499.
- While Apple CEO Tim Cook is far likelier to use the event to showcase new iterations of the iPhone, the Apple TV rumors began running rampant when evidence of multiple shipments labeled "Set Top Boxes" were tracked from one of the company's Chinese suppliers in August.
- Fraunhofer COMEDD has improved its roll-to-roll research line, which consists of a vacuum system for the evaporation of organic materials.
- Displays with Organic Light Emitting Diodes, OLEDs, are the most interesting and promising new display technology in over a decade-possibly ever.
- 6 Sep 2013:TI debuts new DLP Pico chipset optimized for ultra-compact mobile and wearable devices (September 5) - Company releaseAt IFA 2013, Texas Instruments (TI) unveiled its newest DLP Pico chipset, the 0.2" TRP, which brings unparalleled brightness through greater optical/power efficiency, and higher resolution to next-generation smartphones, tablets, digital cameras and wearable devices, such as near-eye displays.
- Another decision you have to make is whether to opt for an LED or plasma screen. Here, we'll explain the differences between the two, their pros and cons and which is likely to be the best choice for you.
- An attorney for HannStar said Best Buy isn't entitled to recover any money because the jury also determined that fixing of prices for liquid crystal display panels didn't have a direct effect on trade in the U.S.
- Pushing to make the industry dream of 4K TVs a market reality, Samsung unveiled a mammoth new 98-inch S9 model on Thursday at the IFA electronics show and, perhaps more notably, an OLED prototype with the higher screen resolution.
- Samsung Electronics expects a recovery in the TV market in the second half of this year, helped by an improving U.S. economy and the launch of new high-end sets.
- As Apple prepares to unveil both a new high-end iPhone and a cheaper version for the first time next week, it is already working on something bigger.
- 5 Sep 2013:Sony has announced the first LED-based LCD TV with a curved screen.
- Xiaomi Corp., the smartphone maker that outsells Apple Inc. (AAPL) in China, has beat it on another front. The Chinese company will soon offer a TV that connects to the Web and runs on the Android operating system.
- There's less than a week left until Apple's big event on Sept. 10. Everyone is expecting Apple to launch a new line (or lines) of iPhones, but on Tuesday, rumors began to fly about another potential announcement this month: a new Apple TV.
- Qualcomm will release a Qualcomm branded smartwatch designed to serve as a second display to your smartphone in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- 3 Sep 2013:In the days before the official start of the Berlin-based technology conference known as IFA 2013, Panasonic is aiming to stir up some excitement with word of a 20-inch 4K tablet.
- Sky now claims that it's the first UK TV network to have conducted a live 4K broadcast.
- Technology for producing TV-size OLED screens hasn't yet matured, and it's also difficult for electronics makers to make a lot of capital investment in that area, given low expected returns in the thin-margin TV market.
- 30 Aug 2013:Apple and Samsung may be planning watches, but Broadcom CEO Scott McGregor said that big-name brands may not dominate the wearable computing market the way they have the phone business.
- Samsung is laying ground for big, competitive moves this fall with two new devices that could amp up its rivalry with Apple.
- The TV maker joins Sony and Samsung in slashing the prices of its 4K Ultra-High Definition TVs by four figures. They're still very expensive, however.
- 27 Aug 2013:Just how many pixels can you cram into a smartphone display? LG is apparently determined to find out as it announced on Wednesday that it's developed a new 5.5-inch display that has a whopping 538 pixels per inch, which sets a record for pixel density on smartphones.
- It can be hard to stand out in a crowd, but a bright, animated wearable LED panel should help you get noticed. The Fos on Kickstarter is a fabric panel with Velcro strips. It weighs less than a golf ball and can be attached to clothing, backpacks, or just about anything else you can think to stick it on.
- You can finally get a 4K TV from a major brand for US$4K.
- Earlier this year, LG Electronics and Samsung Electronics were racing against each other to bring curved OLED TVs to market. Now they're rushing to slash prices for the spanking-new TVs-which were selling at $13,000 each-to encourage buyers.
- 23 Aug 2013:Organic light-emitting diode (OLED) is the most exciting display technology since plasma, but there are a few things it needs to overcome before hitting the mainstream.
- What makes an OLED TV better than an LED or LCD TV? How is OLED superior? Are there any disadvantages to OLED? We've got answers to those questions and more, in plain language, below.
- Originally developed for avionics and military displays, Direct-Dry-Film (DDF) optical bonding is now moving into industrial and consumer applications such as touch screens, TVs, smartphones, tablets, digital signage, and medical imaging.
- BOE Technology Group announced that it has placed significant orders for advanced Gen 8.5 and Gen 5.5 display production equipment from Applied Materials for use in multiple facilities.
- TIME can really drag when you're waiting for a bus or train. Soon you might be able to use that dead time to contribute to a crowdsourced project.
- Industry experts are racing to produce the next big conductive coating.
- The industrial HMI is continuing to evolve with the addition of multi-touch capabilities that are now standard on smartphones and tablets. With multi-touch functionality, HMI operation is simplified and enhanced, but the biggest question is how quickly these more sophisticated interfaces may be adopted by machinery builders and users.
- Capacitive touchscreens in consumer electronics took off with the introduction of Apple's iPhone in 2007.
- According to Harman, the next generation of sat-nav software will be more user-friendly and use a head-up display (HUD).
- 21 Aug 2013:Several major trends have been driving technological innovation in the display industry since its early days. These trends include image quality, screen size, portability and form factor.
- Good news for gamers (and rubber duckies). A Kinect-based setup out of Japan transforms water into an interactive surface for playing games, watching movies, and maybe more.
- Mitsubishi Electric Europe B.V. Semiconductor Group has announced a major initiative to expand sales efforts in Europe for its industrial TFT-LCD modules.
- 20 Aug 2013:Occasionally an existing technology is improved to push components into new usage areas. Sharp has done that with the monochrome LCD display, pushing it into microwatt power consumption territory while approaching e-ink display contrast levels. Coupled with pixel memory, they are call memory LCDs.
- Tabletop computers have not exactly taken the world by storm, as some predicted they would. While a few have appeared in shops, bars, and hotels, it's not hard to understand why devices that until recently cost more than $8,000 have failed to gain wider adoption.
- 16 Aug 2013:A startup called Ubi Interactive is now selling $150 software that can turn any wall, desk or screen into a 45-inch touchscreen. Just hook up a Microsoft Kinect sensor and a screen or projector, and the display will instantly gain touch-screen capabilities.
- 15 Aug 2013:Whirlpool of the US has agreed on a US$552 million proposal to take control of a Chinese maker of fridges and washing machines as it tries to gain a better foothold in the fast-growing consumer markets of Asia.
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- Touch-Controlled Living - Digital Technologies Transform the Face of Traditional Industries
- The incredible anti-germ performance of Fortrend Liquid Diamond
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan LCD monitor shipments reach 24.47 million in 4Q13
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Gaining an advantage in emerging markets: Q&A with India-based handset player Micromax
- Voices from India: How can Taiwan best tap the booming India handset market
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
China panel makers are continuing to increase their production capacity in addition to improving their technology. Some market observers say this is...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
Silicon Image is a semiconductor IP company whose expertise is connecting boxes to displays. The company...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...