- 21 Oct 2013:To say the past few months have been eventful for Universal Display investors seems like one heck of an understatement.
- Microsoft yanks Windows 8.1 update for Surface RT after "Blue Screen of Death" reports (October 20) - ComputerworldMicrosoft on Friday yanked the Windows RT 8.1 update from its Windows Store after some Surface RT owners reported their tablets had been crippled.
- 18 Oct 2013:Qualcomm's own Pixtronix and Sharp have collaborated on an all-new display that keeps image quality high while power consumption stays low.
- Will Apple's next generation of devices feature this display tech? (October 14) - Wall Street JournalWill Apple's next iPhones and iPads feature this new anti-reflective technology? A recently filed patent uncovered by Patently Apple suggests that the Cupertino-based company is close to implementing an improved display technology in its electronic devices.
- The new wrist computer is slim, waterproof and lasts at least three days on a single charge.
- The new manufacturing tech that will bring high-resolution displays to every device (October 17) - ExtremeTechApplied Materials is launching a trio of new manufacturing systems that are designed to address the limitations keeping next-generation displays out of reach of consumers.
- Samsung set-top box uses mediocre Smart TV software to compete with Roku, Apple TV (October 17) - The VergeSamsung isn't known for its software, but that hasn't stopped the company from pushing its Smart TV interface, which offers access to video streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and MLB.TV, as well as a selection of other utilities.
- The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.
- 15 Oct 2013:Panasonic quits plasma TVs: The latest victim of LCD's rise to display supremacy (October 14) - ExtremeTechAnother one bites the dust. Panasonic is departing the plasma TV business after being its biggest champion for two decades.
- A roundup of the best products and most interesting stories this week from Reviewed.com.
- LG's LA9700 is the company's 65in Ultra HD television for 2013. Available in 55 and 65in sizes, the LA9700 features an integrated sound-bar, uses a full sheet of LEDs for backlighting, and has an Ultra HD-resolution that can show four times the detail of current Full HD panels.
- Toshiba has announced that the L9300U series of 4K ultra HD TVs is now available at select retailers the US.
- 11 Oct 2013:Samsung Electronics has launched a handset with a curved display screen. The Galaxy Round smartphone will feature a 5.7in display
- 4 Oct 2013:Its forecasts also indicate potentially slowing profit growth at its mobile business-a signal that its run of record results is under threat by rising competition and lower-margin phones taking up a bigger proportion of sales.
- 2 Oct 2013:Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Gear smartwatch is seen as an extension of the smartphone, but research is under way to see how the wearable device could work with electronics such as TVs.
- 30 Sep 2013:Toshiba said it would cut 50% of staff in its loss-making TV unit and cease production at two of its three overseas factories before the end of this fiscal year.
- Television services delivered via the Internet by companies like Intel and Sony could someday transform how Americans watch TV shows. But the services have to get off the ground first, and there are new doubts about whether that is going to happen.
- 27 Sep 2013:There is no simple answer, but fortunately, figuring out what's best for you isn't too hard.
- According to reports UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) has a research team that has put tons of effort and focus behind this type of technology.
- 26 Sep 2013:Apple Uses Bluetooth LE To Enable Apple TV ??Touch To Set Up' Via iOS 7 Devices (Sep 25) - TechCrunchApple is leveraging the Bluetooth LE technology that it has been building into every iPhone since the iPhone 4S to enable automatic setup of an Apple TV 3G.
- Do a growing number of "cord-cutters" and "cord-nevers" mean the TV business is about to be battered like other traditional industries? Media investor Terry Kawaja doesn't think so. Here's why.
- The customizable smartwatch spreads its reach as it becomes available on the mobile carrier's Web site and in select retail stores.
- 24 Sep 2013:Samsung Display and LG Display have let the lawsuits fly in a patent battle over LCD- and OLED-related technology, but today that is apparently all over.
- Netflix has stated that the company's goal is to stream content in the 4K format by 2014 or so.
- Chinese Internet TV company BesTV New Media said it will set up a joint venture with global software giant Microsoft to develop "family games and related services" with a total investment of up to $237 million.
- Apple sold nine million of its latest iPhones in their first three days, but assessing the popularity of the less-expensive iPhone 5C model was difficult.
- 23 Sep 2013:Chinese flat screen makers, once dismissed as second-class players in the global LCD market, are drawing envious looks from big names such as LG and Samsung.
- 12 Sep 2013:The new slimmer PS Vita has a new screen. It's LCD, instead of the OLED screen found in the current model. Sony's Andrew House explained why.
- 10 Sep 2013:LG Electronics has officially cut the price on its 55-inch curved-screen FullHD OLED TV to US$9,999 in the U.S. and has dropped the price on its current 55-inch Ultra High-Definition LED LCD TV by another US$500, to US$4,499.
- While Apple CEO Tim Cook is far likelier to use the event to showcase new iterations of the iPhone, the Apple TV rumors began running rampant when evidence of multiple shipments labeled "Set Top Boxes" were tracked from one of the company's Chinese suppliers in August.
- Fraunhofer COMEDD has improved its roll-to-roll research line, which consists of a vacuum system for the evaporation of organic materials.
- Displays with Organic Light Emitting Diodes, OLEDs, are the most interesting and promising new display technology in over a decade-possibly ever.
- 6 Sep 2013:TI debuts new DLP Pico chipset optimized for ultra-compact mobile and wearable devices (September 5) - Company releaseAt IFA 2013, Texas Instruments (TI) unveiled its newest DLP Pico chipset, the 0.2" TRP, which brings unparalleled brightness through greater optical/power efficiency, and higher resolution to next-generation smartphones, tablets, digital cameras and wearable devices, such as near-eye displays.
- Another decision you have to make is whether to opt for an LED or plasma screen. Here, we'll explain the differences between the two, their pros and cons and which is likely to be the best choice for you.
- An attorney for HannStar said Best Buy isn't entitled to recover any money because the jury also determined that fixing of prices for liquid crystal display panels didn't have a direct effect on trade in the U.S.
- Pushing to make the industry dream of 4K TVs a market reality, Samsung unveiled a mammoth new 98-inch S9 model on Thursday at the IFA electronics show and, perhaps more notably, an OLED prototype with the higher screen resolution.
- Samsung Electronics expects a recovery in the TV market in the second half of this year, helped by an improving U.S. economy and the launch of new high-end sets.
- As Apple prepares to unveil both a new high-end iPhone and a cheaper version for the first time next week, it is already working on something bigger.
- 5 Sep 2013:Sony has announced the first LED-based LCD TV with a curved screen.
- Xiaomi Corp., the smartphone maker that outsells Apple Inc. (AAPL) in China, has beat it on another front. The Chinese company will soon offer a TV that connects to the Web and runs on the Android operating system.
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- Touch-Controlled Living - Digital Technologies Transform the Face of Traditional Industries
- The incredible anti-germ performance of Fortrend Liquid Diamond
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan LCD monitor shipments reach 24.47 million in 4Q13
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Will Xiaomi be a target for Foxconn's new collaboration with Innolux?
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Gaining an advantage in emerging markets: Q&A with India-based handset player Micromax
- Voices from India: How can Taiwan best tap the booming India handset market
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
China panel makers are continuing to increase their production capacity in addition to improving their technology. Some market observers say this is...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
Silicon Image is a semiconductor IP company whose expertise is connecting boxes to displays. The company...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...