- 17 Jun 2014:Is 3D video on the decline, destined to return to the realm of novelty? Not if you ask IMAX.
- 26 May 2014:Japan Display Inc, the world's biggest maker of liquid crystal displays for smartphones and tablets, is considering setting up a joint venture with Sony Corp and Panasonic Corp to develop organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays, sources familiar with the matter said.
- Apple has released a minor update through the OS X 10.9.3. The latest Mavericks Mac operating system offers improved support for 4K display for the 15-MacBook Pro and newest Mac.
- 23 May 2014:The feature could eventually find its way to future iPhones if Apple decides to bring bendable features to the devices.
- When Nvidia's G-Sync technology hit the PC gaming scene last year, there was a vocal group of enthusiasts crying out for a 4K model.
- The decision to make 4K content proprietary displays some truly stunning corporate hubris by two of the biggest players in Ultra HD "4K," potentially sabotaging its very adoption and acceptance.
- 16 May 2014:The company held a briefing on Wednesday in New York about its upcoming lines and its plans for the future. The main emphasis was on 4K, or ultra-high definition (UHD) televisions, and how its history with plasma panels will reflect that. Panasonic also focused heavily on 4K gaming with PCs.
- The Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi today unveiled a 49-inch Android-based smart TV for the equivalent of just $640. That arguably wouldn't be a bad price even if it were just a 1080p model, but the "MI TV 2" sports a full 4K resolution that makes it a potential bargain - at least for shoppers in the Far East.
- The new 10.9.3 update to Mavericks offers improved support for 4K displays. Before the update, Retina MacBook Pros and the new Mac Pro were able to drive 4K displays, but using any resolutions below the monitor's native resolution would result in soft, slightly blurry-looking screen elements and jaggy text.
- The Chinese technology upstart Xiaomi, known for selling smartphones online at heavily discounted prices, just intensified its attack on some of the biggest companies in technology-Samsung, HTC, and even mighty Apple.
- 13 May 2014:Shares in Japanese electronics maker Sharp rose as much as 7.7% to 279 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Tuesday after it swung back to profit.
- 6 May 2014:Samsung's new Tab S tablets will feature 2560?1600 AMOLED displays, fingerprint sensors - leak (May 5) - Andorid AuthoritySamsung is going to launch a brand new line of Android tablets soon, according to a credible report. Dubbed Galaxy Tab S, these devices will feature powerful specifications, fingerprint sensors, and high definition AMOLED displays.
- George Heilmeier dies at 77; was a principal developer of liquid-crystal display technology (May 4) - The Washington Post (via The Indianapolis Star)George Heilmeier, one of the principal creators of the liquid-crystal display (LCD) technology that made it possible to hang television sets on walls and carry computers in coat pockets, died April 21 at a hospital in Plano, Tex., near Dallas. He was 77.
- Apple used to push display technology with its products, most notably when it brought the Retina Display to the iPhone. But that hasn't been the case lately, which makes its recent acquisition of tiny LuxVue Technology all the more interesting.
- 21 Apr 2014:Ultra HD (sometimes called "4K") televisions have been around for more than a year, but until now held limited appeal. Prices were stratospheric, making it hard to justify a bump in clarity. Now Ultra HD prices are flying closer to Earth: Brand-name sets start below $2,500, and $5,000 will get you Samsung's top 65-inch curved-screen HU9000, which I tested this week.
- LG is planning on flooding the market with glassless TVs in 2017.
- 18 Apr 2014:LG Display Co., a South Korean maker of flat-panel screens for TVs and smartphones, expects the outlook for its key business to get worse this year due to a rapid fall in panel prices, but its first-quarter earnings could beat analysts' expectations, a senior company executive said Thursday.
- 8 Apr 2014:
- 1 Apr 2014:The Korean electronics giant is weeks away from delivering 28 inches of Ultra HD goodness at a price that should continue the march toward mainstream 4K adoption.
- Almost everything about an Apple-Comcast television service is guesswork at this point - and, unsurprisingly, neither Apple nor Comcast are talking about it.
- 28 Mar 2014:Sony has announced a new e-ink based digital reader aimed at the professional market, named the Digital Paper.
- 25 Mar 2014:Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro (Mar 230 - Apple InsiderApple has made clear its intent to support ultra high-resolution displays with the latest Mac and OS X products, but without a 4K display of its own (yet) the company sells only one UHD monitor as a go-along with its flagship Mac Pro: Sharp's PN-K321.
- 21 Mar 2014:Samsung Display plans to hike its investment in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) by as much as 14 percent this year from a year ago to meet the rising demand for panels that provide ultra high-definition (UHD) picture quality.
- South Korea's tech giant Samsung Electronics said Friday it will make efforts to tap deeper into the US Ultra HD (UHD) TV market and roll out customized product lineups for consumers there.
- 19 Mar 2014:
- 14 Mar 2014:LG Electronics has been super aggressive in its mission to dominate the next-generation TV world, and it's just upped the ante with the launch of its 2014 TV lineup in its home nation of Korea - unveiling no less than 68 brand new models.
- In the evolution of resolution, 4K is the next step up from 1080p. Standard definition started with a resolution of 640x480 (480i/p), then we went up to HD for the first time with 1280x720 (720p), and finally topped out at 1920x1080 (1080i/p) for awhile.
- 11 Mar 2014:Here come the Retina Macs? Apple reportedly adding ?˜pixel doubled' 4K monitor support to OS X (March 7) - TimeApple's reportedly poised to shore up ultra high-definition display support across its desktop and laptop lines.
- 7 Mar 2014:Apple building support for driving 4K displays at ?˜Retina' resolution, 60Hz output from 2013 MacBook Pros - 9to5Mac.comEarlier today, Apple provided developers with the first beta for the upcoming release of OS X Mavericks version 10.9.3.
- Even though CES 2014 is long gone, some of the stuff announced there is just now starting to become available for purchase.
- 6 Mar 2014:Hillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec collaborate on sensor hub solution for head-mounted displays and wearable devices (March 6) - Company releaseHillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec have announced a partnership to launch a new sensor solution for head-mounted displays (HMDs).
- 24 Feb 2014:Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth claims that Apple has acquired a large supply of sapphire displays, possibly alluding to displays with sapphire material that would be used on a future Apple iPhone.
- 18 Feb 2014:As if 3D TV and OLED vs. plasma vs. LED TVs and 120Hz and the Soap Opera Effect weren't confusing enough, in the last year we have seen the rise of a new HDTV technology called 4K. Or if you use its official name, Ultra High Definition (UHD).
- 10 Feb 2014:Struggling chip-maker Renesas Electronics will withdraw from the market for small liquid crystal displays as part of efforts to turn around its business, an industry source said Saturday.
- 7 Feb 2014:The iPhone maker appears to be ramping up its plans for sapphire displays in future mobile devices, according to a report from 9to5Mac.
- 6 Feb 2014:Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Coming: Rumors Suggest 10-MP Camera, New Screen Technology, Possible June Launch (Feb 4) - International Bussiness TimesA newly released report hit the Web Monday, fueling iPhone 6 rumors that Apple's next generation will come in two different sizes.
- 28 Jan 2014:Apple patents sapphire display tech after last year's US$578 million deal with sapphire maker (Jan 23) - TechCrunchApple has had a patent approved today (via AppleInsider) that could make it a leader in a new kind of display material technology: Sapphire glass.
- A woman driving to a job interview gets lost. Not wanting to be late, she pulls up a map and the transparent display appears on her windshield, helping her find her way.
- 23 Jan 2014:Something's afoot at Tivo, and it started today with five lay-offs.
- 22 Jan 2014:Global phablet shipments to reach over 120 million by 2018, finds Juniper Research (January 21) - Company releasePhablets, smartphones with displays 5.6 inches and above, are forecast to flourish in Far East and China, Juniper Research said in its new report.
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- Touch-Controlled Living - Digital Technologies Transform the Face of Traditional Industries
- The incredible anti-germ performance of Fortrend Liquid Diamond
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan on-cell touch panel shipments to see strong growth, yet offer little profit
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, LG outsource TV orders to ODMs to secure panel supply
- Digitimes Research: Ultra HD BD players not likely to be available until end of 2015
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, LG, Panasonic bent on competing against Android TV
- Display trends for 2015
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...