- 12 Sep 2014:For the past year, manufacturers have heralded OLED UHD TVs as a harbinger of sea change in the home entertainment industry, affording thinner and even flexible panels with higher quality pictures than today's LCD sets.
- From 4K OLEDs to 21x9 LED LCDs, LG showed off a bevy of new US models at the CEDIA Expo in Denver. We've got details and some initial impressions from a quick eyes-on at the show.
- 9 Sep 2014:AU Optronics (AUO), part of the BenQ group, has announced a range of new display panels that are based upon its AHVA (Advanced Hyper Viewing-Angle) panel technology. This technology is said to be the equivalent to LG Display's IPS technology (and Samsung's PLS) and offers similar visual and performance characteristics to such screens.
- The screen's resolution comes in at 5120x2880, which is pretty ridiculous. The UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor has twice the resolution of a 4K monitor and seven times the resolution of vanilla-HD. Dell is saying that it's designed for professionals who need the highest possible resolution.
- 4K TV owners will have more options for content as 4K Blu-ray discs and players could arrive as early as the 2015 holiday season, according to TechRadar.
- Panasonic has expanded its 4K Ultra HD TV lineup at the IFA 2014 consumer electronics trade show which kicked off in Berlin earlier this week.
- 29 Aug 2014:The firm said a curved 65in (165cm) set would go on sale in Europe, South Korea and North America in September.
- The Korea tech giant wants to persuade you to fork out for 4K by offering movies and TV shows from Amazon and Netflix in eye-watering detail.
- 22 Aug 2014:Experts can't agree which is best: LG's new OLED or Samsung's year-old plasma (August 20) - Digital TrendsEach year, a group of videophiles, professional calibrators, and tech journalists gather together at Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY for a shootout of the consumer electronics industry's best televisions.
- Despite the concerns that the display panel market is becoming saturated, Udo Heider, vice president of Merck's OLED unit, predicted continued growth for the future.
- 19 Aug 2014:The National Association of Broadcasters filed a lawsuit on Monday arguing the Federal Communications Commission's plan to auction off airwaves next year would hurt TV stations in both their coverage areas and their wallets.
- Low-price Hisense and TCL sets with Roku's brains built in may have the best shot yet at moving smart TVs from niche shopping consideration to popular norm.
- 22 Jul 2014:UBS Securities warned Monday that a limited growth in television panels may cap revenue increases for two leading Taiwanese flat-panel makers in the third quarter of 2014.
- The race for dominance in 4K ultra high-definition (UHD) TV panel market is heating up, with LG Display finally surpassing its arch-rival Samsung for the first time, according to data from May 2014.
- 15 Jul 2014:KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the issues may be related to the new in-cell touch panels, which struggle with touch sensitivity on larger screens.
- 10 Jul 2014:LG Display announced that it's been able to create an 18-inch OLED panel that has enough give and flexibility to roll into a tube that's a mere 3cm across.
- 9 Jul 2014:The company's new edge-lit 60- and 70-inch UD27U 4K TVs will have native refresh rates of 120Hz, as well as motion-handling features that purportedly simulate a 480Hz refresh rate.
- Taiwan's leading flat-panel maker Innolux Corporation and Taiwan-based contract manufacturer Foxconn are set to ship seven million 23.6-inch TVs to Mexico after winning a three-year contract in the country, reports our Chinese-language sister newspaper Commercial Times.
- 4 Jul 2014:The latest move by Samsung SDI to suspend production of plasma display panels (PDP) will help improve its earnings, according to analysts.
- 3 Jul 2014:LG Display is working to forge deals with key Chinese players to supply OLED panels and accelerate OLED TV adoption. The end goal, an LG Display official later revealed, is to bring OLED TV prices down to a mere 10% premium to competing LCDs.
- 2 Jul 2014:Following far too closely on the heels of Panasonic 's similar announcement, Samsung has said it will end production of plasma televisions, leaving LCDs and an aging OLED display as their only TV offerings.
- 1 Jul 2014:How much would you fork out for a 77-inch, curved, 4K, OLED TV? Well, LG hopes you're hovering around a couple of grand per descriptor.
- 27 Jun 2014:The FIFA Football World Cup 2014 in Brasil is expected to be a popular spectator sport in India.
- LG is looking into cranking up production of plastic OLED displays for smartwatches and phones (June 25) - Business InsiderLG Display Co will consider whether to make additional investments to boost production capacity of plastic OLED displays for smartwatches and smartphones, the company's chief executive said.
- 26 Jun 2014:Google gave developers an early look at Android TV at its I/O conference Wednesday, its newest attempt to let Android-based devices work better with HDTVs, set-tops and other entertainment systems.
- 23 Jun 2014:Ultra HD 4k HDTVs a waste of money over 1080p for PC, PlayStation, and Xbox gamers? (June 22) - InquisitirIs an Ultra HD 4k HDTV a waste of money in comparison to the now standard 1080p when it comes to PC, PlayStation, and Xbox gamers?
- The dueling operating systems from Apple Inc. and Google Inc. already run on 95 percent of the smartphones sold around the world. Now the two giants are about to go head to head in the next frontier of mobile computing: the automobile.
- 17 Jun 2014:Last month, shares of Universal Display Corporation plunged when production difficulties reportedly caused Samsung to abandon plans for building a new large screen OLED television manufacturing facility. But if recent technological advancements from Universal Display are any indication, those difficulties may not be an issue for long.
- Growing demand for ultra-high definition (HD) 4K televisions will likely benefit Taiwanese suppliers of the chips that control LCD flat-panel displays, according to Morgan Stanley.
- Is 3D video on the decline, destined to return to the realm of novelty? Not if you ask IMAX.
- 26 May 2014:Japan Display Inc, the world's biggest maker of liquid crystal displays for smartphones and tablets, is considering setting up a joint venture with Sony Corp and Panasonic Corp to develop organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays, sources familiar with the matter said.
- Apple has released a minor update through the OS X 10.9.3. The latest Mavericks Mac operating system offers improved support for 4K display for the 15-MacBook Pro and newest Mac.
- 23 May 2014:The feature could eventually find its way to future iPhones if Apple decides to bring bendable features to the devices.
- When Nvidia's G-Sync technology hit the PC gaming scene last year, there was a vocal group of enthusiasts crying out for a 4K model.
- The decision to make 4K content proprietary displays some truly stunning corporate hubris by two of the biggest players in Ultra HD "4K," potentially sabotaging its very adoption and acceptance.
- 16 May 2014:The company held a briefing on Wednesday in New York about its upcoming lines and its plans for the future. The main emphasis was on 4K, or ultra-high definition (UHD) televisions, and how its history with plasma panels will reflect that. Panasonic also focused heavily on 4K gaming with PCs.
- The Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi today unveiled a 49-inch Android-based smart TV for the equivalent of just $640. That arguably wouldn't be a bad price even if it were just a 1080p model, but the "MI TV 2" sports a full 4K resolution that makes it a potential bargain - at least for shoppers in the Far East.
- The new 10.9.3 update to Mavericks offers improved support for 4K displays. Before the update, Retina MacBook Pros and the new Mac Pro were able to drive 4K displays, but using any resolutions below the monitor's native resolution would result in soft, slightly blurry-looking screen elements and jaggy text.
- The Chinese technology upstart Xiaomi, known for selling smartphones online at heavily discounted prices, just intensified its attack on some of the biggest companies in technology-Samsung, HTC, and even mighty Apple.
- 13 May 2014:Shares in Japanese electronics maker Sharp rose as much as 7.7% to 279 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Tuesday after it swung back to profit.
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- Touch-Controlled Living - Digital Technologies Transform the Face of Traditional Industries
- The incredible anti-germ performance of Fortrend Liquid Diamond
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan LCD monitor shipments reach 24.47 million in 4Q13
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Gaining an advantage in emerging markets: Q&A with India-based handset player Micromax
- Voices from India: How can Taiwan best tap the booming India handset market
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
- Digitimes Research: Youngfast, Melfas looking beyond G1F touch
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
China panel makers are continuing to increase their production capacity in addition to improving their technology. Some market observers say this is...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
Silicon Image is a semiconductor IP company whose expertise is connecting boxes to displays. The company...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...