Taipei, Wednesday, October 18, 2017 09:47 (GMT+8)
mostly cloudy
Taipei
28°C
Acer to become holding company, says Stan Shih
Aaron Lee, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Friday 13 October 2017]

Acer founder Stan Shih has pointed out that the company will gradually turn into a holding company with most of the Acer Group's affiliates to transform into independent entities and list in stock markets.

Before doing so, Acer will increase its shareholdings in these companies to above 50% to have full control of them.

Acer's BYOC Smart Products business president Maverick Shih also recently disclosed that the company's digital signage affiliate ABST is scheduled to apply for listing in Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE) in 2020.

Stan Shih believes BYOC businesses should not be placed under a big organization and should be operating independently in order to create more values.

As for the retirement announcement of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company's (TSMC) chairman Morris Chang, Shih pointed out that Acer is also nurturing its younger-generation executives to become successors.

Acer's third-quarter consolidated revenues reached NT$60.58 billion (US$2.01 billion), growing 3.4% on year.

Acer's revenue growth in the third quarter was driven by five major factors: increased revenues from gaming products, which were up 168% on year and contributed over 10% of Acer's overall third-quarter revenues; sales from Latin America especially in Brazil growing steadily and rising 30% from a year ago; increasing demand for Windows-based enterprise notebooks, which helped drove revenues from the enterprise sector to grow 40% on year; Chromebook's rising revenues, which went up by 27% on year; and an average revenue growth of 30% on year for its emerging businesses.

Acer founder Stan Shih

Acer founder Stan Shih.
Photo: Shihmin Fu, Digitimes, October 2017

Categories: IT + CE PC, CE

Tags: 2017 Acer BYOC chairman gaming revenues Stan Shih

Companies: Acer

Realtime news
  • Taiwan market: Lenovo ramping gaming models to expand PC market share

    Before Going to Press | 12h ago

  • Digitimes Research: Global AR/VR HMD device shipments to grow at CAGR of 41.6% in 2017-2022

    Before Going to Press | 12h 3min ago

  • Smartphone panel prices remain steady in October

    Before Going to Press | 12h 5min ago

  • Motech, Giga Solar to form PV module JV

    Before Going to Press | 12h 39min ago

  • AUO expanding its deployment in PV segment

    Before Going to Press | 12h 47min ago

  • Goodix obtains fingerprint sensor orders for new Huawei devices

    Before Going to Press | Oct 17, 20:54

  • Nanya begins volume shipments of 20nm 4Gb DDR3 chips

    Before Going to Press | Oct 17, 20:49

  • Kinsus 4Q17 revenues to rise up to 20%, says report

    Before Going to Press | Oct 17, 20:46

  • MediaTek to post slight decrease in 4Q17 revenues

    Before Going to Press | Oct 17, 20:42

  • China market: ZTEWelink wins NB-IoT module orders from China Mobile

    Before Going to Press | Oct 17, 20:42

  • HiSilicon seeking second-source suppliers for 7nm chips

    Before Going to Press | Oct 17, 20:37

  • Adata pre-tax profits hike 110% in 3Q17

    Before Going to Press | Oct 17, 20:28

Pause
 | 
View more
Global notebook shipment forecast, 2017 and beyond
Global AP demand forecast, 2017-2020
Global notebook shipment forecast, 2017 and beyond
  • China AMOLED panel capacity expansion forecast, 2016-2020

    This Digitimes Research Special Report examines the China AMOLED industry, focusing on the expansion capacity of the makers, the current implementation plans of major smartphone vendors in the market and the technological hurdles faced by the China makers.

  • Taiwan server shipment forecast and industry analysis, 2017

    Digitimes Research estimates that revenues from sales of server motherboards, servers, storage systems and related network system equipment by Taiwan-based vendors reached NT$555.8 billion in 2016 and the amount is estimated to grow 5.9% on year in 2017.

  • Global notebook shipment forecast, 2017 and beyond

    This Digitimes Special Report examines key factors in the notebook industry, including products, vendors and ODMs, that will affect total shipments in 2017 and through 2021.