- 17 Aug 2016:
- HMD Global Oy, a new Finnish company looking to relaunch the Nokia brand for phones, said on Monday it has hired Pekka Rantala, the former CEO of Angry Birds maker Rovio, as its Chief Marketing Officer.
- Cisco Systems is laying off about 14,000 employees, representing nearly 20 percent of the network equipment maker's global workforce, technology news site CRN reported, citing sources close to the company.
- 16 Aug 2016:Korean newspaper Chosun Biz reported that Samsung had picked up a contract from Nvidia to manufacture Pascal GPUs. The manufacturing is set to begin before the end of 2016, and will use Samsung's patented 14-nanometer technology.
- HTC's flagship handset, the HTC 10, is apparently not selling well. T-Mobile has decided to dump the device after just two months on the market.
- A new FCC listing mentions two HTC smartphones that go by the code names G-2PW2100 and G-2PW4100. The listing also points to Google's Nexus website as the location of the handset manuals.
- Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' predicted to face supply constraints due to new dual-lens camera (Aug 5) - Mac RumorsAmit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets issued a note to investors this week, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, discussing features widely rumored for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" series. Thanks to growing demand for larger "phablet" screens, he predicts that the "iPhone 7 Plus" will account for one-third of production at launch.
- 15 Aug 2016:Nvidia may be going directly to 7-nanometer manufacturing technology for its post-Volta graphics processor family.
- 14 Aug 2016:Toshiba on Friday said extensive restructuring helped the Japanese conglomerate swing to its first operating profit in six quarters, signaling recovery from a $1.3 billion accounting scandal that unmasked underperforming operations.
- 12 Aug 2016:An Associated Press investigation has found South Korean authorities have, at Samsung's request, repeatedly withheld from workers and their bereaved families crucial information about chemicals they were exposed to at its computer chip and LCD factories. Sick workers are supposed to have access to such data through the government or the courts so they can apply for workers' compensation from the state. Without it, government officials commonly reject their cases.
- 11 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics has announced that it is now the world's number one supplier of enterprise solid state drives used in corporate data centers, as reported by a number of analyst firms.
- Given Apple's focus on pushing the performance of its silicon, and TSMC's packaging advancements, it makes sense that TSMC has been able to gain sole possession of Apple's chip orders for at least this generation.
- 10 Aug 2016:Next Samsung Exynos tipped to be a 4GHz beast, yet more frugal than Snapdragon 830 (Aug 9) - PhoneArenaSamsung is apparently testing the next generation of its Exynos mobile chipset line, presumably the Exynos 8895.
- Intel has announced plans to pay an undisclosed amount for Nervana Systems, a 48-employee company working on semiconductors, software and services to exploit a popular AI technique called deep learning.
- RBC Capital analyst Amit Daryanani sees pressure on prices for suppliers, and thinks companies that have something of a "monopoly" should survive this better than others, in particular Broadcom and Analog Devices.
- Russia is investigating Apple over allegations of fixing prices for the iPhone in the country.
- 9 Aug 2016:Security researchers have found a series of security holes in almost a billion Android devices that use chipsets from Qualcomm.
- 8 Aug 2016:Sony plans to raise some JPY100 billion (US$982 million) by issuing bonds to institutional investors, perhaps in September. The Japanese corporate icon wants to be ready to pounce on future acquisitions and make other growth investments.
- Serious security flaws that could give attackers complete access to a phone's data have been found in software used on tens of millions of Android devices.
- 5 Aug 2016:Japan's TDK has offered ??8.65 million (about $55 million) to buy Tronics Microsystems the listed MEMS manufacturer.
- Seagate Technology said its earnings fell 49% in the latest quarter as the bottom line was hit by expenses related to the disk-drive maker's cost-cutting efforts and other items.
- 4 Aug 2016:After Samsung Electronics' success in selling components for rivals' smartphones, Vice Chairman Lee Jae Yong is considering a similar strategy for the world of automobiles.
- Tesla says it is on track to deliver 50,000 vehicles in the latter half of this year, which reaffirms its previous guidance.
- The recall impacts Basis Peak watches manufactured from August 2014 to July 2015, which were sold from November 2014 until June 2016.
- Gogoro partners with Bosch subsidiary in scooter sharing service in Berlin (Aug 3) - Company releaseTaiwan-based Gogoro has announced it has teamed up with a new Bosch subsidiary, Coup, to provide smart e-scooter sharing service in Berlin.
- 3 Aug 2016:
- 2 Aug 2016:Tesla's offer represented about half of SolarCity's value a year ago, a tumble reflecting the solar company's slowing growth, complex financial structure and the increased scrutiny of government incentives for rooftop solar.
- Japan's cabinet has approved an economic stimulus package worth more than JPY28 trillion (US$275bn).
- Microsoft bridging IoT innovation to seek new growth drivers for Taiwan
- Industry 4.0-based network manager ensures solid industrial connectivity
- G.fast IOP, a first in a Carrier Network environment; Swisscom makes it a reality that meets their network requirements
- Heraeus introduces new series of PERC Metallization Pastes at PV Taiwan International Photovoltaic Exhibition
- VATek's modulator has been used on the world's first DTV transmitter crowdfunding project on Kickstarter
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...