- 17 Jan 2017:
- 16 Jan 2017:The results of the investigation will likely be announced on Jan. 23, a day before it announces detailed fourth-quarter earnings results, said the person, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter and declined to be identified.
- 14 Jan 2017:A non-volatile memory technology based on carbon nanotubes that's poised for commercialization in 2018 is expected to be more disruptive to enterprise storage, servers and consumer electronics than flash memory, according to a new report from BCC Research.
- Momentum behind the push to transition the semiconductor industry to 450mm wafers - which seemed substantial just a few short years ago - now appears all but dead, at least for now.
- Rosenblatt Securities's Jun Zhang today reiterates a Buy rating on shares of Qualcomm, and raises his price target to $75 from $70, writing that the company's set to ride the wave of smartphone sales by Chinese phone makers Vive and Oppo.
- 13 Jan 2017:
- It looks like we missed out on an Nvidia SHIELD Portable 2. The unreleased device was submitted to the FCC for regulatory certification last year with a 180-day confidentiality request. Those 180 days are now up, so the device has surfaced on the FCC website - but is unlikely to ever surface in stores.
- Google has shuttered its plan to use massive solar-powered drones to deliver internet to rural and remote parts of the world.
- It's fun to mock image-processing impossibilities where "Blade Runner" or CSI investigators zoom into photos to see far more detail than a photo could possibly have recorded. But guess what? Not only does Google have technology that can do something like that kind of photo enhancement, it's also using it to keep you from gobbling through your mobile phone data plan.
- Two senior China executives defended the country's big bet on its semiconductor industry here a week after a White House report called for international action against practices it called unfair. Executives from fab and capital equipment companies said the China government is not being unfair in the way it supports its still-infant industry.
- Nintendo will release its long-awaited new console, the Nintendo Switch, on 3 March. It will cost US$299.99 in the US and JPY29,980 yen in Japan.
- 12 Jan 2017:
- Corephotonics, an Israeli maker of dual camera technologies for smartphones, said on Wednesday it raised $15 million in a funding round that included Samsung Ventures, iPhone manufacturer Foxconn and chipmaker MediaTek.
- Hard-disk drive maker Seagate Technology said it would cut more than 2,000 jobs as it shuts down its Suzhou factory in China.
- HTC U Ultra / Ocean Note to have the same 12 MP camera found inside the Google Pixel (Jan 10) - PhoneArenaHTC is officially hosting a press event later this week, on January 12, when it's likely going to announce (at least) two new smartphones.
- ARM opens its chips for x86 support to all manufacturers including Apple, Samsung (Jan 10) - WCCF TechRecently Qualcomm claimed that it'll be the only ARM partner that will support x86 apps on its platform. Now, ARM executives clarify that not only Qualcomm, but any other manufacturer out there will be able to run x86 apps on its platform - whether its Samsung, Apple, Huawei or others.
- 10 Jan 2017:Panasonic, Qualcomm team up for next-generation Android-based in-vehicle infotainment system (Jan 5) - Company releaseUsing a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820A processor, this concept system is based on the latest version of the Android OS (7.0 Nougat), which is designed to provide automakers with a superior, high-performing platform to quickly develop cloud-connected infotainment systems.
- Ma said he would help US businesses create a million new jobs by using his website to sell to China.
- Two prototype models of a highly-anticipated gaming laptop have been stolen at the 2017 CES tech show in Las Vegas.
- 9 Jan 2017:
- 7 Jan 2017:Apple is planning to open its first retail store in South Korea, moving onto the home turf of smartphone rival Samsung Electronics.
- Samsung Electronics has reported a 50% profit surge in its guidance for the fourth quarter despite the fiasco with its flagship Note 7 phone. The earnings estimate is higher than analysts predicted and would mark its highest quarterly profit since 2013.
- 6 Jan 2017:
- After being the first to reach 22nm then subsequently 14nm FinFET, Intel's chip development pace has slowed considerably for the move to 10nm with many losing confidence in Intel's ability to maintain a chip manufacturing advantage over competitors such as TSMC, Samsung, and Globalfoundries.
- The Galaxy Note 8 should be released in the second half of 2017, following the Galaxy S8 series that's set to be released in April.
- South Korea's LG Display said it was in talks with Samsung Electronics about a supply agreement for television display panels.
- The increased consumer interest in smartphones, according to Accenture, is based largely on the Chinese market. Nearly three out of four Chinese consumers said they would buy new smartphones in 2017, up from 61% in 2016.
- 5 Jan 2017:Intel announced a new modem chip for smartphones using faster 5G technologies as it seeks to outpace rival Qualcomm in the battle for next generation mobile gear.
- CAYIN's latest digital signage player debuts at InfoComm China 2017
- Advantest VOICE 2017 U.S. and China keynote speakers announced
- QSAN launches XS3200 series SAN storage systems for SMB/enterprise market
- UMC and Synopsys collaboration speeds 14-nm custom design
- Advantest and W2BI to Exhibit Advanced Test Solutions at Mobile World Congress
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Kuka Robotics, as the world's leading maker of robots used in automobile manufacturing, has been making...
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...