- 16 May 2014:The Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi today unveiled a 49-inch Android-based smart TV for the equivalent of just $640. That arguably wouldn't be a bad price even if it were just a 1080p model, but the "MI TV 2" sports a full 4K resolution that makes it a potential bargain - at least for shoppers in the Far East.
- The new 10.9.3 update to Mavericks offers improved support for 4K displays. Before the update, Retina MacBook Pros and the new Mac Pro were able to drive 4K displays, but using any resolutions below the monitor's native resolution would result in soft, slightly blurry-looking screen elements and jaggy text.
- The Chinese technology upstart Xiaomi, known for selling smartphones online at heavily discounted prices, just intensified its attack on some of the biggest companies in technology-Samsung, HTC, and even mighty Apple.
- 13 May 2014:Shares in Japanese electronics maker Sharp rose as much as 7.7% to 279 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Tuesday after it swung back to profit.
- 12 May 2014:
- 6 May 2014:Britain has already approved enough renewable energy projects to hit its EU targets, rendering all 1,000 projects still in the planning system surplus to requirements, new analysis claims.
- Netflix began offering 4K streams last month. On Friday, the company took to its blog to talk up its capabilities and the future of the ultra high-def format for the streaming service.
- Samsung's new Tab S tablets will feature 2560?1600 AMOLED displays, fingerprint sensors - leak (May 5) - Andorid AuthoritySamsung is going to launch a brand new line of Android tablets soon, according to a credible report. Dubbed Galaxy Tab S, these devices will feature powerful specifications, fingerprint sensors, and high definition AMOLED displays.
- George Heilmeier dies at 77; was a principal developer of liquid-crystal display technology (May 4) - The Washington Post (via The Indianapolis Star)George Heilmeier, one of the principal creators of the liquid-crystal display (LCD) technology that made it possible to hang television sets on walls and carry computers in coat pockets, died April 21 at a hospital in Plano, Tex., near Dallas. He was 77.
- Apple used to push display technology with its products, most notably when it brought the Retina Display to the iPhone. But that hasn't been the case lately, which makes its recent acquisition of tiny LuxVue Technology all the more interesting.
- 29 Apr 2014:The US Department of Homeland Security is advising Americans not to use the Internet Explorer Web browser until a fix is found for a serious security flaw that came to light over the weekend.
- Samsung Electronics has reported a 4% fall in sales at its mobile phone unit.
- 28 Apr 2014:
- 25 Apr 2014:
- 24 Apr 2014:More than a year after announcing plans to combine their struggling system chip operations, Fujitsu and Panasonic are finally launching their new merged company with the help of Japanese government money.
- 23 Apr 2014:
- 21 Apr 2014:
- Ultra HD (sometimes called "4K") televisions have been around for more than a year, but until now held limited appeal. Prices were stratospheric, making it hard to justify a bump in clarity. Now Ultra HD prices are flying closer to Earth: Brand-name sets start below $2,500, and $5,000 will get you Samsung's top 65-inch curved-screen HU9000, which I tested this week.
- LG is planning on flooding the market with glassless TVs in 2017.
- NXP Semiconductors has announced its investment in Senseg, a leader in next-generation spatial haptic feedback technology.
- When Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's devices and services business closes, the software giant plans to rename Nokia Oyj to Microsoft Mobile Oy, according to a letter sent to suppliers.
- 18 Apr 2014:
- HTC hired the former head of marketing at Samsung Electronics' US mobile phone business as an adviser to chairman Cher Wang, according to two people familiar with the matter.
- In short, the Fire TV is basically a combination of Apple's iTunes rentals and Netflix's smorgasbord of content in a single box.
- LG Display Co., a South Korean maker of flat-panel screens for TVs and smartphones, expects the outlook for its key business to get worse this year due to a rapid fall in panel prices, but its first-quarter earnings could beat analysts' expectations, a senior company executive said Thursday.
- 17 Apr 2014:The tail lights on most existing cars leave a lot to be desired: they're big, power-hungry and need reflectors to be visible from all angles.
- Faulty charger forces Nokia to halt Lumia 2520 tablet sales for electric shock risk (April 17) - PC WorldNokia has temporarily halted sales of the Lumia 2520 in seven countries, because the tablet's AC-300 charger can give users an electric shock.
- 16 Apr 2014:Despite the increase, it is a slowdown from 7.7% growth in the final quarter of last year.
- 15 Apr 2014:Stop investing in dirty fossil fuels and rapidly shift to renewable energy to prevent dangerous climate change - this was the message from Sunday's long-awaited UN report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- ABB and Volvo form global partnership for electric and hybrid bus fast-charging
- Accurate Analysis of Multi-Gigabit Systems Using HSPICE
- GIGABYTE's EasyTune App makes overclocking a breeze on new Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition CPUs
- OAXIS adds a second E Ink screen to your smartphone with launch of InkCase+ on Kickstarter
- Indium announces RMA-155 Pb-Free Solder Paste
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Digitimes Research: Hisilicon AP to give Huawei cost advantage in high-end mobile device market
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
- Digitimes Research: Google looking to clean up Android device mess in emerging markets
- Digitimes Research: Youngfast, Melfas looking beyond G1F touch
MediaTek has taken up to 60% of the 3G handset solution market in China, pushing the market value of...
AMD has been reorganizing its businesss, such as moving its desktop business headquarters to Beijing,...
Intel president Renee James, during a recent interview, told Digitimes that the company and its partners...
According to a recent IDC research note, the transition toward mobile and cloud-based computing is...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...