- 10 Nov 2014:
- Regulators have approved a long-awaited plan to connect the Hong Kong and Shanghai stock exchanges.
- According to industry sources, Apple has decided to discontinue its use of triple-level cell (TLC) NAND, since the company believes that the functional defects plaguing the 64GB iPhone 6 and the 128GB iPhone 6+ stem from a problem in the controller IC of the TLC NAND flash. The controller IC in question is reportedly made by SSD maker Anobit, which was sold to Apple in 2011.
- The leaders of China and South Korea have reached broad agreement on a bilateral free-trade deal, allowing Korean firms enhanced access to China's huge market and marking a diplomatic victory of sorts for Beijing.
- Samsung overtakes ITC to become second-largest consumer-facing products company (Nov 6) - Economic TimesSamsung has overtaken ITC to become India's second-largest consumer-facing products company by revenues, and now looks set to better Maruti this fiscal to take the top slot.
- 8 Nov 2014:Worldwide smartphone shipments increase 25.2% in 3Q14 with heightened competition and growth beyond Samsung and Apple, Says IDC (Oct 29) - IDCNew smartphone releases and an increased emphasis on emerging markets drove global smartphone shipments above 300 million units for the second consecutive quarter.
- Korean manufacturers' smartphone exports dropped by 35.5% year-on-year in October 2014 due to the release of Apple's iPhone 6 and a rapid sales decline in China and the ASEAN region.
- The new smartphone, set to debut on November 11, drops the Nokia logo and marks a new chapter for the Lumia family of mobile devices.
- GT Advanced COO: Apple told us 'put on your big boy pants and accept the agreement' (Nov 7) - Mac RumorsApple and GT Advanced fought to keep key documents related to their sapphire agreement out of the public eye after the latter company filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection, but earlier this week, a judge ruled that the documents did not contain trade secrets or confidential information, and would thus be largely unsealed.
- 7 Nov 2014:Globalfoundries and Invecas intro new dedicated design service partner for leading-edge technologies (Nov 6) - Company releaseGlobalfoundries has announced a partnership with Invecas, a newly formed design services provider focused on accelerating customer introduction of new products on leading-edge semiconductor process technologies.
- Social media giant Twitter has said it will open an office in Hong Kong in the first quarter of 2015.
- While our policymakers in Washington, D.C., may think that energy has become an overly partisan issue, voters across the nation broadly support many energy-related measures.
- Utility Southern California Edison announced that it will acquire 2200 megawatts (MW) of new power generation assets, of which 250 MW will be energy storage systems.
- The new Ultra HD screen could be ready in time for Samsung's next Galaxy Note device, according to blog site Phone Arena.
- I have seen the future of high definition displays and lo, it is glorious. Not to mention rollable, foldable, and clearly superior to LCD/LED-really every other panel technology available today.
- 6 Nov 2014:Synaptics has completed its acquisition of Renesas SP Drivers (RSP), a supplier of small- and medium-size display driver ICs for smartphones and tablets.
- Lenovo Group On Thursday said its net profit for the quarter through September rose 19% on growing sales of both personal computers and smartphones.
- Next year's GOP-controlled Senate is expected to come out strongly against President Barack Obama 's most consequential energy and environment policies.
- Germany is home to solar-powered football stadiums and funfairs but the country's renewable energy future still faces obstacles.
- Could social media have predicted the failure of 3D TVs and its successor 4K?
- 5 Nov 2014:
- Samsung was replaced by the iPhone maker as No. 1 in China's mobile sector this year, according to the China Brand Research Center's 2014 China Brand Power Index ranking report released Tuesday.
- GT Advanced Technologies has announced a multi-year, US$578 million contract with Apple to supply advanced sapphire material.
- Reports of possible 128GB iPhone 6 Plus recall are false, crashing bug is very rare (Nov 4) - 9to5Mac.comUsers in Apple's support forums have recently highlighted a rare issue that causes iPhones to crash, specifically for users with a large amount of apps installed.
- "This announcement reinforces our commitment to building the ZTE brand in the United States...," said ZTE USA's CEO Lixin Cheng.
- In a sign that LG and Google are tightening their Android alliance, the two companies have announced a deal to enter into a "long-term patent cross-licensing agreement" covering both existing and future products.
- 4 Nov 2014:China's Xiaomi Technology said on Tuesday it would spend US$1 billion to expand its internet TV content as the world's third largest smartphone maker ramps up its push into the living room, and a market estimated to be worth US$3 billion.
- As numerous reports of low read performance of the Samsung SSD 840 and 840 EVO using TLC NAND flash have surfaced on the Internet, a problem in the controller IC is considered to be the more likely cause of the defects.
- It seems that it is not just towns in New South Wales that are looking to meet all their own electricity needs with renewable energy - a small township in Victoria is also looking to become 100% renewable within a decade.
- This imposingly named premium laptop line adds an Ultra HD screen for high-res PC gaming.
- There's typically two touchscreen devices consumers use in 2014: a smartphone and a tablet.
- Clientron announces PCoIP Zero Client availability for Amazon WorkSpaces
- Gigabyte Secret OC session unlocks 9 World Records
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- Knowles Corporation celebrates 40th anniversary in Taiwan, showcasing multiple innovative solutions
- Advantest announces newest handler for testing advanced memory ICs
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Verizon to ship three million own-brand tablets in 2015
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo mobile device shipments to lead Samsung by 9 million units in 2015
- Digitimes Research: iPad shipments to drop to 55 million units in 2015
- GamerGate block list bad for business as game devs, journalists and fried chicken linked to online harassment
- Will Xiaomi be a target for Foxconn's new collaboration with Innolux?
The move by Globalfoundries to acquire IBM's semiconductor business unit and to team up with Samsung...
The global wireless charging market is set for an explosive growth in 2015 as wireless charging applications...
NAND flash chip controller maker Phison Electronics has seen its sales grow robustly in 2014. And under...
With the global LED lighting application market taking off, and business opportunities emerging fast,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...