- 21 Sep 2016:iPhone passcodes can be bypassed using just £75 ($100) of electronic components, research suggests.
- 20 Sep 2016:Microsoft will shut down Skype's London offices, making most of its employees redundant, and terminating the headquarters of a rare European technology champion. The closure comes at a time when the British tech industry is desperate to indicate that it is thriving and open for business in the wake of Britain's vote to leave the EU.
- The sales come as Samsung is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 phone after reports of fires caused by faulty batteries.
- Although the device does not have a fan, people have reported that the noise is similar to when a laptop fan whirs, usually from overheating.
- 19 Sep 2016:It is Apple, not AMD, that threatens Intel's hegemony
- iPhone 7 teardowns: Big Taptic Engine, Intel modems, waterproofing, and more (Sep 17) - Ars TechnicaIntel appears to be dual-sourcing modems from both Intel and Qualcomm (which has historically provided all modems for all iPhones)-the iFixit iPhone is all-Qualcomm, while Chipworks' teardown includes an Intel part.
- 14 Sep 2016:A new report suggests that Samsung is 'actively and aggressively' looking into the development of its own proprietary headphone jack following Apple's unveiling of the Lightning port-only iPhone 7.
- T-Mobile CEO John Legere said iPhone 7 preorders hit record levels, totaling almost four times more that the prior record holder, the iPhone 6 in 2014.
- 13 Sep 2016:
- Although volumes are still small, fully depleted silicon-on-insulator could grow rapidly in the wake of Globalfoundries' plans for a 12nm process. Whether Samsung or a new fab coming up in Shanghai will adopt FD-SOI will be a big factor, said veteran market watcher Handel Jones of International Business Strategies.
- Google's two new smartphones, believed to be the Pixel and the Pixel XL, are reckoned to be the first to be released into the United States market using the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 flagship System-on-Chip.
- Renesas Electronics has agreed to buy US chipmaker Intersil for a total of $3.2 billion, as the Japanese chipmaker accelerates efforts to sell more automotive components.
- 12 Sep 2016:More than half of Chinese infrastructure investments have "destroyed, not generated" economic value as the costs have been larger than the benefits, according to researchers at Oxford university.
- Looking at 2017, the semiconductor industry should see tight DRAM/NAND supply due to unbalanced supply conditions. Mea
- Chipmakers plan to significantly expand capacity in China, with total investment expected to reach US$50 billion in the next five years, more than double what they spent during the preceding five years, according to a Nikkei survey.
- Tech giant Samsung Electronics is gearing up to fully operate a production line for 3D NAND flash memory at its plant in Hwaseong City, Gyeonggi Province. Considering the one-month period to build the equipment and tools, it is expected that the facility will likely be in full operation around the end of 2016.
- Samsung wants to use AMD or Nvidia GPUs in its Exynos chipsets, plans to ditch Qualcomm for good in 2018 (Sep 9) - GsmarenaAccording to a new "exclusive" report from behind the scenes, Samsung is in talks with both AMD and Nvidia for GPU tech. Namely, the Korean company wants to stop using the ARM-developed Mali GPUs in its Exynos chipset designs, and instead use ones created by AMD or Nvidia.
- 9 Sep 2016:SK Hynix to mass-produce its first non-memory semiconductors at 300mm factories (Sep 9) - ETNews.comSK Hynix made a plan to mass-produce 13 million-pixel CMOS Image Censor (CIS) from 300 wafer factory called M10, which is located in Icheon, in 2017.
- 8 Sep 2016:Samsung Electronics is selling about half of its stake in chip-equipment supplier ASML Holding in a private placement valued at about EUR606 million (US$681 million).
- Apple was the only vendor among the market leaders to post a year-over-year decrease in shipment volumes, primarily because it did not launch a new model on the anniversary of its first generation Watch.
- Apple's products announced today pack at least three new chips including its first wireless SoC to date, showing the company's increasing silicon prowess.
- 7 Sep 2016:
- 6 Sep 2016:
- Innodisk launches digital input/output expansion cards suitable for industrial systems
- AVerMedia introduces video capture and streaming solutions, targeting application opportunities in four major sectors
- PALWONN/ABONTOUCH's AbonMax series touch panel took challenges against Microsoft Surface Hub and Google Jamboard
- Join CAYIN at InfoComm MEA 2016 to discover the next-gen digital signage
- Clientron to introduce new 12" all-in-one POS Bello620
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...