- 26 Sep 2013:
- Wind power is no longer an insignificant energy source in the United States. Turbines across the country provided 4 percent of the nation's electricity last year - enough to power half of Mexico.
- German Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems, Soitec, CEA-Leti and the Helmholtz Center Berlin announced the development of 44.7 percent efficiency solar cell.
- Apple Uses Bluetooth LE To Enable Apple TV ??Touch To Set Up' Via iOS 7 Devices (Sep 25) - TechCrunchApple is leveraging the Bluetooth LE technology that it has been building into every iPhone since the iPhone 4S to enable automatic setup of an Apple TV 3G.
- Do a growing number of "cord-cutters" and "cord-nevers" mean the TV business is about to be battered like other traditional industries? Media investor Terry Kawaja doesn't think so. Here's why.
- The customizable smartwatch spreads its reach as it becomes available on the mobile carrier's Web site and in select retail stores.
- 25 Sep 2013:Ultra-low-power, context-aware motion-recognition platform to result from STMicroelectronics and Movea cooperation (September 20) - Company releaseSTMicroelectronics and Movea have announced their agreement to integrate Movea's SmartMotion technology into the STM32F401 microcontroller operating as a low-power sensor-hub controller.
- 24 Sep 2013:Samsung Display and LG Display have let the lawsuits fly in a patent battle over LCD- and OLED-related technology, but today that is apparently all over.
- SolarCity (SCTY), an IPO back in December 2012, has pioneered the US solar installation marketplace. But with competition rising and the company still working toward profitability, it's been looking for new ways to boost its customer count.
- Despite having one of the hottest summers on record and taking nuclear power stations offline, Japan has had no power rationing or blackouts this year. How did they do it? They cut back.
- Netflix has stated that the company's goal is to stream content in the 4K format by 2014 or so.
- The Securities and Exchange Commission has charged a former Qualcomm executive and his financial adviser with insider trading, alleging he used a secret offshore brokerage account to make trades based on inside information about the chipmaker.
- First Wind Holdings agreed to sell 333 megawatts of capacity from two Maine projects to Massachusetts utilities.
- A solar-energy group is offering a plan to resolve a trade dispute between the US and China, saying import duties currently in place are crippling the industry in both nations.
- Chinese Internet TV company BesTV New Media said it will set up a joint venture with global software giant Microsoft to develop "family games and related services" with a total investment of up to $237 million.
- Apple sold nine million of its latest iPhones in their first three days, but assessing the popularity of the less-expensive iPhone 5C model was difficult.
- Apple has sold nine million of its new iPhone models in three days.
- The BlackBerry melodrama may finally be coming to a close. Just days after announcing apocalyptic cuts in its workforce, the company revealed that its largest stakeholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings, has offered to buy the company out for US$4.7 billion, or US$9 a share.
- 23 Sep 2013:
- Apple is preparing to ship iPhones to China Mobile, people familiar with the matter say, an arrangement that would significantly increase Apple's distribution in the world's biggest smartphone market.
- India To Build World's Largest Solar Power Plant In Rajasthan (Sep 21) - International Bussiness TimesThe Indian government will set up the world's largest solar power plant in its northwestern state of Rajasthan and the venture is expected to significantly reduce solar power taxes in the country.
- Stake holders, experts and state level policy makers are seeking reforms must to facilitate growth of solar energy sector up to its potential.
- Ephesus Lighting CFO Mike Lorenz discusses recent trends in LED lighting with Pimm Fox on Bloomberg Television's "Taking Stock."
- The iPhone is like an old house - just when you think you know all its secrets, you discover something new hidden away where you'd never think to look. One of the lesser-known functions of this popular smartphone is the LED light, located next to the camera on iPhone models 4 through 5S.
- Chinese flat screen makers, once dismissed as second-class players in the global LCD market, are drawing envious looks from big names such as LG and Samsung.
- After downloading the update, some Apple TV users have reported losing device functionality as well as stored content.
- 4G chipmaker Sequans Communications has announced that Verizon Wireless has certified its VZ20Q LTE module.
- Dialog Semi PWM controller IC lowers cost and standby power in smartphone power supplies (September 17) - Company releaseDialog Semiconductor has launched what it claims is the industry's first digital pulse width modulation (PWM) controller that can easily and efficiently drive low-cost, 10W power bipolar junction transistor (BJT) switches to reduce the BOM cost in 5V/2A smartphone adapters and chargers.
- JEDEC has announced the publication of Universal Flash Storage (UFS) version 2.0, which offers performance and power saving features over the prior version of the standard.
- A7 processor manufactured by Samsung, M7 is standalone processor from NXP (September 20) - Mac RumorsChipworks found that the A7 chip is manufactured by Samsung. Chipworks also found what it believes to be the M7 motion coprocessor, which iFixit dubbed the "magical" chip because it couldn't be found on the logic board during the original teardown. Instead, the M7 is a discrete processor from NXP.
- Blackberry has announced it is planning to cut 4,500 jobs, or 40% of its worldwide workforce, in an attempt to staunch huge losses.
- Tronics Microsystems, a MEMS manufacturer headquartered in Grenoble, France, has appointed Pascal Langlois as CEO.
- EverFocus announces their upgraded version of Award-winning IP Speed Dome
- GIGABYTE announces 'Feel the Force' OC contest winners
- Internet of Things to provide new business opportunities and enable business model changes
- MOEA recognizes alliances between foreign and Taiwanese IT firms for creating new value
- Advantech Accelerates Intelligent Video Designs with Complete Solutions
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
Smartphone ODM Arima Communications has decided to expand its product lines to include tablets, smart...
OCZ Technology shifted its corporate focus away from legacy DRAM memory modules in 2011, and has since...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...