- 22 Oct 2013:
- Applied Materials extends leadership in metal oxide display manufacturing technology (October 16) - Company releaseApplied Materials has announced new technology systems for manufacturing large size and ultra-high definition (UHD) LCD and OLED displays that meet consumer demand for greater screen performance, clarity, color and brightness.
- The chief executive of HTC has handed some operational duties to the company's chairman and co-founder, as the beleaguered Taiwanese smartphone maker tries to claw its way back to prominence in the hyper-competitive mobile sector.
- 21 Oct 2013:
- The world's solar energy industry has been steadily advancing since Bell Labs invented the world's first modern solar cell in 1954.
- Mimicking the iconic design of Lego blocks, an international team of scientists discovered a better way to harvest the sun's energy.
- China Solar Energy Holdings, the solar panel maker that's lost 93% of its market value since 2007, said its chairman and two directors have been detained by Chinese authorities on allegations of fraud.
- Wind farms are in the wrong place, says Energy Minister (October 20) - telegraph.com.uk (USE Daily Telegraph (UK))Energy Minister Greg Barker has said on-shore wind farms have turned public opinion against renewable energy.
- Manufacturing large, ultra-high definition LCD and OLED displays (October 18) - Printed Electronics WorldApplied Materials, Inc. has announced new technology systems for manufacturing large size and ultra-high definition (UHD) LCD and OLED displays that meet consumer demand for greater screen performance, clarity, color and brightness.
- To say the past few months have been eventful for Universal Display investors seems like one heck of an understatement.
- Microsoft yanks Windows 8.1 update for Surface RT after "Blue Screen of Death" reports (October 20) - ComputerworldMicrosoft on Friday yanked the Windows RT 8.1 update from its Windows Store after some Surface RT owners reported their tablets had been crippled.
- 18 Oct 2013:California is fighting fossil fuels by forcing utilities to store green energy (October 17) - QuartzIt has not been a good time to own a carbon-spewing power plant in California and today it just got worse. Regulators have approved a first-in-the-nation rule requiring the state's three big utilities to obtain technology to store 1,325 megawatts (MW) of electricity from wind, solar and other renewable but intermittent sources of energy by 2020.
- Renewable Energy Generation Ltd. (WIND), a developer of low-carbon assets that's backed by BlackRock Inc. (BLK), may invest 300 million pounds (US$478 million) in onshore wind, solar and bio-energy projects over the next three to four years.
- ZTE is working with governments and enterprises across 15 African countries, including Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Niger, to deploy the use of renewable solar energy.
- Qualcomm's own Pixtronix and Sharp have collaborated on an all-new display that keeps image quality high while power consumption stays low.
- Will Apple's next generation of devices feature this display tech? (October 14) - Wall Street JournalWill Apple's next iPhones and iPads feature this new anti-reflective technology? A recently filed patent uncovered by Patently Apple suggests that the Cupertino-based company is close to implementing an improved display technology in its electronic devices.
- The new wrist computer is slim, waterproof and lasts at least three days on a single charge.
- The new manufacturing tech that will bring high-resolution displays to every device (October 17) - ExtremeTechApplied Materials is launching a trio of new manufacturing systems that are designed to address the limitations keeping next-generation displays out of reach of consumers.
- Samsung set-top box uses mediocre Smart TV software to compete with Roku, Apple TV (October 17) - The VergeSamsung isn't known for its software, but that hasn't stopped the company from pushing its Smart TV interface, which offers access to video streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and MLB.TV, as well as a selection of other utilities.
- Chinese tech giant Huawei said in a report Friday on cybersecurity that it never has been asked to provide information about a citizen to any government.
- The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.
- Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo said Apple Inc's iPhone 5C "undersold expectations" in the third quarter, while its pricier iPhone 5S was in short supply.
- Xilinx has reported adjusted earnings per share of 49 cents in the second quarter of fiscal 2014, which lagged the Zacks Consensus Estimate of 52 cents per share. However, reported earnings increased 6.6% from the year-ago quarter.
- The biggest selling point of the Adidas miCoach SMART RUN is that the user does not have to rely on a smartphone for it to work.
- SanDisk more than tripled its quarterly profit, beating analysts' estimates, after a fire at a rival chipmaker increased prices at a time when Apple and other users of its flash memory chips were launching new products.
- Lenovo Group is actively considering a bid for all of struggling Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest sign of the voracious appetite of Chinese companies for foreign acquisitions.
- 17 Oct 2013:
- ASML said it sees first-half sales in 2014 at similar levels to the second half of this year - which would translate into sales of about EUR3.12 billion if the company meets its full-year sales forecast of EUR5.2 billion in 2013.
- Windows XP users will get another 18 months free of worry from security holes in Google's Chrome browser.
- Samsung likes software. Anyone who bought the Galaxy S4 already knows this; the handset comes loaded with proprietary software. There's eye tracking, advanced touch functionality, and an enterprise package called Knox. There's also a custom camera app, a TV remote app, a workout app, a travel app, a translation app... the list goes on and on.
- Xbox One will not support AMD's Mantle, and PS4 is also unlikely. Is Mantle DOA? (Oct 15) - ExtremeTechOne of the highlights of AMD's Hawaii event last month was the introduction of AMD Mantle, a new, close-to-metal API that would supposedly unlock huge additional performance and address many of the issues that plague DirectX.
- 16 Oct 2013:Chipmakers including Broadcom and Renesas Electronics are ramping up in-car entertainment with faster processors and networks for wireless HD movies and navigation, aiming to keep drivers informed and passengers entertained.
- Taiwan Open Architecture Machine Tools Rise Up for Industry 4.0 Opportunity
- EverFocus launches new mobile mini vandal-proof IR dome camera
- Indium8.9HF1-P delivers high first pass yields for in-circuit testing
- EverFocus announces their upgraded version of Award-winning IP Speed Dome
- GIGABYTE announces 'Feel the Force' OC contest winners
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
Smartphone ODM Arima Communications has decided to expand its product lines to include tablets, smart...
OCZ Technology shifted its corporate focus away from legacy DRAM memory modules in 2011, and has since...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...