- 29 Aug 2016:Taiwan's new digital minister is a transgender software programmer who wants to make government more open (Aug 26) - QuartzThe Taiwan government has appointed Audrey Tang, a transgender software developer and self-described "civic hacker," to its executive council to head digital policy.
- Apple invents sapphire coating equipment to strengthen glass for future OLED displays (Aug 26) - Patently AppleThe US Patent and Trademark Office has published a patent application from Apple titled "Electronic Devices with Sapphire-Coated Substrates." The invention is designed to add a sapphire coating to future OLED displays like those that will begin shipping in 2017 and beyond.
- Images posted on Baidu show a Galaxy Note 7 which cannot be more than two weeks old, black and burnt, in the aftermath of the explosion.
- Apple's iOS devices like iPhones and iPads crashed twice as often in the second quarter compared to the previous one, new data shows.
- The chip, called Piton, would "substantially increase processing speed while slashing energy usage."
- Intel's recent pledge to expand its business making chips for others highlights its ambition to snatch chip orders for Apple's popular iPhones from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. as early as 2018, industry experts said.
- Phase change memory has a lot to recommend it as a long-term replacement for DRAM - it's fast, it can retain data for long periods of time, and Intel's Optane/3DXPoint is thought to be partially based on phase change memory technology.
- Orders for semiconductor-manufacturing equipment are picking up at seven major Japanese producers, underpinned by brisk demand for 3D memory and ravenous investment in chip miniaturization.
- Paytm in talks to raise Rs 2,000 crore from Goldman Sachs, Temasek, Mediatek (Aug 29) - Economic TimesOne97 Communications, which runs mobile payment and ecommerce platform Paytm, is in advanced talks to raise fresh funding of about Rs 2,000 crore ($300 million) from Taiwanese semiconductor maker MediaTek, Goldman Sachs, Singapore's Temasek and other investors, according to two persons with knowledge of the development.
- 28 Aug 2016:Apple may need to contend with a supply shortage of the soon-to-be-released new model of its iPhone during the first round of the rollout, due to problems with faulty components, the Nikkei Asian Review has learned.
- 25 Aug 2016:Few companies enjoy the kind of dominance Intel does in chips for the computers found in data centers. But competitors keep trying to pry open its server stronghold, with IBM the latest to brandish a new tool.
- Better-than-expected demand for Samsung Electronics' new Galaxy Note 7 is causing supply constraints globally, the South Korean tech giant said on Wednesday, suggesting strong initial sales for the new premium smartphone.
- 24 Aug 2016:After the unprecedented breach of hacking tools and exploits stolen from the US National Security Agency's elite hacking unit, some privacy advocates see it as clear vindication of Apple in its fight with the FBI earlier this year.
- Lenovo's stature in the mobile market is shaky, having recently experienced a 33% decline in sales-again, thanks to those other rising stars in China. However, it could still bounce back, and is therefore an important win for Microsoft.
- Apple accounted for 75% of the smartphone industry's profits in the second quarter, but that's down from more than 90% a year ago due to Samsung's Galaxy device lineup, according to Canaccord Genuity.
- One way Apple will aim to keep the "iPhone 7" competitive is the addition of new fast-charge technology, according to one rumor.
- High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f22852f8-549e-11e6-9664-e0bdc13c3bef.html#ixzz4IEwuqbQI Ahead of the ARM deal, SoftBank had sold $20bn worth of its most valuable assets, including shares in Chinese ecommerce group Alibaba, Finnish game developer Supercell and Japan's GungHo Online Entertainment.
- growing number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices affected by insidious 'touch disease' (Aug 23) - Mac RumorsAs the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus approach their second birthday, a growing number of users are suffering from what appears to be a latent manufacturing issue that presents as a gray flickering bar at the top of the screen and a display that's unresponsive or less responsive to touch.
- 23 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics is slated to hold a foundry forum in China later this month (August 2016) to attract Chinese fabless firms amid its growing idle foundry lines, industry experts said on Tuesday.
- Samsung Electronics plans to launch a program to sell refurbished used versions of its premium smartphones as early as 2017, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
- 22 Aug 2016:Xiaomi is preparing to enter the US smartphone market "in the near future," employing the same online sales and social media marketing tactics that helped the six-year-old startup become China's largest privately funded startup.
- China's Tsinghua Unigroup, which has been active in overseas semiconductor investment, is eyeing small and mid-sized South Korean chip firms with specialty solutions, a local report has said.
- Applied Materials on Thursday said orders reached another record high in its third quarter, following a 15-year high the previous three months, as profit surged, stirring hope for robust results in coming quarters.
- Japan's Renesas Electronics is in the final stages of negotiations to acquire US chipmaker Intersil for as much as JPY300 billion ($2.99 billion), the Nikkei business daily reported on Monday.
- 21 Aug 2016:Specifications for DDR5 memory will be released this year, and deployment of the DRAM will begin in 2020, according to a slide deck presented at the Intel Developer Forum this week.
- 19 Aug 2016:Qualcomm needs to help Xiaomi to grow beyond its Android phone business model. It's time Xiaomi makes Snapdragon-powered Windows phones.
- Cypress Semiconductor led until recently by one of the chip industry's elder statesmen, settled on a much younger successor who started in another field.
- 18 Aug 2016:World's third largest smartphone seller Huawei will start manufacturing handsets in India soon, details of which will be announced in about a month.
- Globalfoundries CTO Gary Patton has confirmed the company will not be offering a 10nm process. They believe it will be short lived node and don't see the value proposition in it.
- TSMC now has all of Apple?˜s foundry business but is seen behind Intel on the more advanced 10nm processors.
- Analog Devices is a leading supplier of analog and DSP integrated circuits, and is solidly positioned in growth markets like industrial, auto and communication.
- Five of Samsung Group subsidiaries have slashed about 5,700 jobs so far in 2016 via voluntary retirement programs, according to the units' regulatory filings on Thursday.
- According to new reports, Samsung's monthly Note 7 shipments could eclipse those of the Note 5, coming in at as many as 3 million phones per month during the third quarter of 2016.
- Xiaomi plans to set up two more manufacturing facilities in India through Foxconn (Aug 13) - Economic TimesXiaomi is looking to set up two more manufacturing facilities in India through its contract manufacturer Foxconn Technology Group.
- Microsoft bridging IoT innovation to seek new growth drivers for Taiwan
- Industry 4.0-based network manager ensures solid industrial connectivity
- G.fast IOP, a first in a Carrier Network environment; Swisscom makes it a reality that meets their network requirements
- Heraeus introduces new series of PERC Metallization Pastes at PV Taiwan International Photovoltaic Exhibition
- VATek's modulator has been used on the world's first DTV transmitter crowdfunding project on Kickstarter
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...