- 29 Aug 2014:IKEA has invested in a Scottish company that specialises in energy efficient LED lighting technologies.
- The firm said a curved 65in (165cm) set would go on sale in Europe, South Korea and North America in September.
- The Korea tech giant wants to persuade you to fork out for 4K by offering movies and TV shows from Amazon and Netflix in eye-watering detail.
- 27 Aug 2014:
- 22 Aug 2014:
- Experts can't agree which is best: LG's new OLED or Samsung's year-old plasma (August 20) - Digital TrendsEach year, a group of videophiles, professional calibrators, and tech journalists gather together at Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY for a shootout of the consumer electronics industry's best televisions.
- Despite the concerns that the display panel market is becoming saturated, Udo Heider, vice president of Merck's OLED unit, predicted continued growth for the future.
- The solar industry is facing a looming shortage of photovoltaic panels, reversing a two-year slump triggered by a global glut, Bloomberg reports.
- SolarWorld is recalling approximately 1.3 million solar panel systems in the U.S. and 210,000 in Canada because of a possible electric shock, electrocution or fire hazard.
- 21 Aug 2014:Amazon has stepped up its presence in China with a strategic partnership with the Shanghai Free Trade Zone (FTZ).
- Infineon to acquire International Rectifier for US$40 per share, approximately US$3 billion in cash (Aug 20) - Company releaseBy integrating International Rectifier, Infineon complements its offerings and will be able to provide customers with a broader range of products and services. Infineon will also benefit significantly from greater economies of scale as well as a larger regional footprint.
- 20 Aug 2014:
- 19 Aug 2014:ON Semiconductor has announced the completion of its acquisition of Aptina Imaging. The total consideration of approximately US$400 million in cash for the acquisition of Aptina was funded by cash on the balance sheet and ON Semiconductor's existing revolving line of credit.
- The National Association of Broadcasters filed a lawsuit on Monday arguing the Federal Communications Commission's plan to auction off airwaves next year would hurt TV stations in both their coverage areas and their wallets.
- Low-price Hisense and TCL sets with Roku's brains built in may have the best shot yet at moving smart TVs from niche shopping consideration to popular norm.
- 18 Aug 2014:
- 15 Aug 2014:
- Applied Materials' profit rises 79% on higher sales, improved margins (Aug 14) - The Wall Street JournalApplied Materials has reported a 79% jump in its third-quarter profit, aided by solid demand for computer chips and the machines used to make them.
- 14 Aug 2014:
- The cuts come as Cisco continues to struggle in emerging markets and in its service provider video business.
- Lenovo's notebook sales outperformed industry average.
- Big data analytics and data from wearable computing offer potential to improve monitoring and treatment of Parkinson's disease. Intel-built big data analytics platform combines hardware and software technologies to provide researchers with a way to more accurately measure progression of disease symptoms.
- 13 Aug 2014:
- Conquer Electronics' Innovation - Industrial Micro Fuses
- OSTAR Takes the Lead to Drive Smart Medical Applications
- Chilisin expanding via process capacity to handle surging orders for 0201 high-frequency chip inductors
- Last Mile to Conquer: Tatung's Bendable Optical Cables Cleverly Resolve Problems Related to Optical Fiber Establishment
- You know EverFocus! But do you really know EverFocus?
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Digitimes Research: Enterprise segment to benefit, but PC segment to suffer from HP spin-off
- Digitimes Research: MediaTek, Rockchip to join Chromebook market
- Digitimes Research: China 4G smartphone demand fails to surge; CoolPad, Lenovo, Xiaomi unlikely to achieve 2014 targets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to release new inexpensive notebook solution; unlikely to receive full support from vendors
US-based Cree will invest US$83 million to take a 13.32% stake in Taiwan-based Lextar Electronics,...
Karbonn, the second-largest India-based handset vendor, is looking into in-house production. Digitimes...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...