- 28 Jul 2016:ARM Holdings said second-quarter revenue rose to $387.6 million, an increase of 9% from the same period in 2015, while profit climbed 17% to 90 million pounds ($118 million).
- LG Innotek said July 28 that it would invest US$230 million by 2018 to build a camera module factory in Haiphong, the third largest city of Vietnam.
- 26 Jul 2016:
- 25 Jul 2016:The Wi-Fi Alliance industry group is now certifying products that can deliver multi-gigabit speeds and improve coverage in dense networks by delivering data to multiple devices simultaneously.
- The deal includes Yahoo real estate assets, while some intellectual property is to be sold separately.
- 22 Jul 2016:
- 21 Jul 2016:Son also briefly mentioned during the Japanese press conference that as soon as SoftBank announced the ARM acquisition deal, Son received a call from Alibaba's Jack Ma. "He was very enthusiastic. He told me that he is really interested in driving the China-ARM relationship."
- Although based in Japan, Softbank is very much a Chinese company.
- 20 Jul 2016:
- 19 Jul 2016:ARM founder Hermann Hauser said the result of the Softbank deal meant the "determination of what comes next for technology will not be decided in Britain any more, but in Japan".
- 18 Jul 2016:SoftBank Group is nearing a deal to buy ARM Holdings for more than $32 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said, securing a slice of virtually every mobile computing gadget on the planet and future connected devices.
- 15 Jul 2016:It is no secret that smartphone component manufacturing is slowing down, so is Samsung aiming for the next booming business, supplying batteries to electric vehicles?
- 14 Jul 2016:Nokia and Samsung have expanded their patent cross-licensing deal, leading Nokia to anticipate a significant boost to its licensing sales.
- 12 Jul 2016:While we know nothing official about the next iPhone -- currently expected to be called the iPhone 7 -- all rumors and leaks suggest that it's going to be a pretty mediocre upgrade. But pent-up demand for a new iPhone from the two-thirds of owners who, by the time the new iPhone launches will be running hardware that's two or more years old, might buoy sales.
- Samsung Galaxy S7 active fails Consumer Reports water-resistance test (Jul 8) - Consumer Reports.orgThe phone is supposed to survive 30 minutes in 5 feet of water. In our testing, it didn't.
- Microsoft has confirmed it will close its mobile phone unit in Finland, cutting 1,350 jobs.
- 7 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics expects to post its most profitable quarter in more than two years because of strong sales of its flagship S7 line of smartphones.
- Taiwan is bracing itself for the arrival of a vast typhoon, expected to hit the island on Friday.
- 6 Jul 2016:Apple iPhone 7 shipments could disappoint; Skyworks, Cirrus Logic dive (Jul 5) - Investor's Business DailySkyworks Solutions and Cirrus Logic shares nosedived Tuesday after Pacific Crest analyst Michael McConnell downgraded the stocks and predicted a 15%-20% decline in Apple iPhone 7 shipments later this year compared with shipments of the iPhone 6S after that product was released last September.
- 5 Jul 2016:The Galaxy S7 has been well received with some industry experts predicting Samsung sold 16 million devices.
- 4 Jul 2016:According to a recent memo, Senate staffers will no longer receive any BlackBerry devices going forward-it's an Android and iPhone world on the hill now. BlackBerry will continue to support any devices still in use, but that's it.
- Japan's NEC will sell most of its interest in a personal computer joint venture with Lenovo Group to the Chinese partner for about JPY20 billion (US$195 million), using the proceeds for growth investment.
- The company has decided to put more focus on growth in East Asia, Europe and the Middle East, while they expect that their Latin American and Asia Pacific businesses will prevail.
- 28 Jun 2016:The US government has extended through August 30 a reprieve to ZTE on tough export restrictions imposed on the Chinese smartphone maker in March for allegedly breaking sanctions against Iran, the Commerce Department said on Monday.
- Leaked photos that first surfaced on the French tech blog Nowhereelse.fr on June 25 appear to show the casing on the iPhone 7 with a much larger camera sensor opening than the previous iPhone, as well as a possible dual-camera configuration for the larger iPhone 7 Plus.
- 27 Jun 2016:A TCL device with the product name DTEK 50 has been certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance, which is odd because DTEK is the name of the privacy suite that ships on the BlackBerry Priv.
- 24 Jun 2016:More than 300,000 people have signed a petition urging Apple not to ditch the headphone socket from the version of the iPhone due for release this autumn.
- UKIP leader Nigel Farage hailed it as the UK's "independence day" but the Remain camp called it a "catastrophe."
- 23 Jun 2016:Low-cost iPhone SE cannibalizing sales Of pricier Apple handsets (Jun 21) - Investor's Business DailyApple's low-cost iPhone SE appears to be cannibalizing sales of more expensive handsets, including the flagship iPhone 6S, says Nomura Securities.
- 22 Jun 2016:In a speech at the National Press Club Monday (June 20), FCC chairman Tom Wheeler called 5G "a national priority" and set July 14 as the date the FCC will vote on new rules to open up high-band spectrum for high-speed, low-latency 5G wireless applications.
- Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 20 Jun 2016:The intellectual property tribunal said the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus looked too similar to the 100C model made by Shenzhen Beili, a small Chinese brand.
- 17 Jun 2016:Swedish mobile telecom gear maker Ericsson is being investigated by US authorities over possible corruption related to its business in China, Swedish daily Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) reported late on Thursday, citing unnamed sources.
- 16 Jun 2016:The acquisition makes up for the South Korean tech giant's lack in software, especially cloud, that has made it dependent on other vendors.
- 2 Jun 2016:Google is seeking to raise between $218 million and $221 million by selling shares in Chinese personal computer maker Lenovo, according to a deal term sheet seen by IFR on Wednesday.
- 1 Jun 2016:Apple will likely take three years between full-model changes of its iPhone devices, a year longer than the current cycle. In a typical two-year term, fall 2016 was supposed to see a major upgrade. But the changes on the model to be launched this autumn will be minor, such as improved camera quality.
- A patent-licensing firm is seeking to force Apple to suspend its Facetime and iMessage services claiming it has suffered "irreparable harm" as a result of the tech giant's actions.
- Xiaomi has agreed to purchase around 1,500 patents from Microsoft in an example of the rising costs facing the Chinese smartphone startup as it expands outside China.
- 30 May 2016:Globalfoundries releases performance-enhanced 130nm SiGe RF technology to advance next-generation wireless network communications (May 23) - Company releaseGlobalfoundries has announced a next-generation radio-frequency (RF) silicon solution for its Silicon Germanium (SiGe) high-performance technology portfolio. The technology is optimized for customers who need improved performance solutions for automotive radar, satellite communications, 5G millimeter-wave base stations and other wireless and wireline communication network applications.
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Next stage of visionary mobile technology development: Virtual reality and IoT
- NVIDIA Pascal taking us one step closer to a VR world
- Introduction of LYNwave smart antenna solution
- GSMA announces further details for Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2016
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
HTC's latest development
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Buoyed by its ZenFone series smartphones, Asustek Computer has captured a portion of the global smartphone...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...