- 30 Jul 2015:A painful reversal in fortunes for Samsung Electronics' smartphone business continued in the second quarter, the company confirmed on Thursday, adding to scepticism about its strategy to halt its sliding market share.
- 27 Jul 2015:Lalvani has more than 20 years of experience in sales, business development, strategic planning and business operations across the IT and telecom sectors.
- 23 Jul 2015:New York City has backed down in a row with taxi hailing app Uber, dropping plans to limit the number of cars it operates in the City.
- 22 Jul 2015:Microsoft reported a $3.2 billion quarterly net loss, its biggest ever, as the company wrote down its Nokia phone business and demand fell for its Windows operating system.
- ARM, the chip designer whose technology powers almost all smartphones, reported sales that missed analysts' estimates after device shipments by customers including Apple Inc. trailed predictions.
- 17 Jul 2015:Apple and Samsung are in advanced talks to join the rest of the telecoms industry to launch electronic Sim cards, in a move could fundamentally change how consumers sign up to mobile operators.
- 16 Jul 2015:Tsinghua Unigroup, controlled by China's Tsinghua University, has agreed to invest US$100 million in a mobile operating system start-up founded by Mozilla Corp's former China head, according to a company announcement.
- 9 Jul 2015:Microsoft also announced the reduction of up to 7,800 positions, primarily in the phone business.
- 7 Jul 2015:"S6 didn't sell as well as the market had hoped for, partly because of continued outperforming of iPhones combined with the supply constraint," said Greg Roh, a Seoul-based analyst at HMC Investment Securities Co. "Sales sharply missed the market expectation, which implies that overall technology industry demand for smartphones, TVs and PCs is weakening."
- India market: Apple iPhone 4s, priced at Rs 13,000, an unlikely hit among buyers (Jul 7) - Economic TimesApple distributors have slashed iPhone 4s to below Rs 13,000 (US$205.08), taking the battle right to the doors of domestic and Chinese smartphone players such as Micromax and Xiaomi in the popular mid-range smartphone market.
- 6 Jul 2015:Doubts over the sales prospects of Samsung Electronics' new flagship smartphones are damping expectations of a rapid turnaround for the South Korean giant, even though profit likely continues to recover from last year's troughs.
- On June 29, 2007, Apple released the original iPhone with a sleek form factor and revolutionary multi-touch screen and significantly disrupted an industry then dominated by companies such as Nokia, BlackBerry, Sony and Motorola.
- 3 Jul 2015:Tired of recording 'just' 1080p video on your iPhone while your friends produce clips in glorious 4K? You
- Xilinx, China Mobile collaborate on next-generation fronthaul interface development for 5G wireless networks (Jun 30) - Company releaseXilinx has announced its collaboration with China Mobile Research Institute for the development of the next generation fronthaul interface (NGFI).
- Smartphone thieves suffered a setback Wednesday when new laws took effect requiring all smartphones sold in California to come with an opt-out "kill switch," which slashes the phone's value if stolen and resold on the black market.
- French microchip maker STMicro signed a US$500 million with China's Huawei on Thursday to bolster its supply relationship with the Chinese telecom equipment provider, the French government said in a statement.
- 30 Jun 2015:Nokia Android smartphones manufactured by Foxconn coming to India, China & Europe (Jun 29) - SoftpediaSources familiar with Nokia's plans claim the Finnish company will launch its first smartphones as early as 2016. They will be powered by Google's Android mobile platform and will be manufactured by Foxconn.
- 25 Jun 2015:Pantech, which has been in court receivership since August last year, has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Seoul Central District Court's approval for a possible merger and acquisition with a consortium led by South Korean optical disc drive (ODD) manufacturer Optis on June 16.
- 23 Jun 2015:ITU has established the overall roadmap for the development of 5G mobile and defined the term it will apply to it as "IMT-2020".
- Gigaset, a name normally associated with landline phones, is to enter the smartphone race.
- 18 Jun 2015:Cisco plans to invest $10 billion in China, although its sales in the country are slumping due in part to persistent security concerns surrounding US technology.
- Microsoft on Wednesday announced the departure of former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop as part of a broad restructuring at the company, one that will see its Operating Systems Group and Microsoft Devices Group merge into one unit.
- 16 Jun 2015:BlackBerry is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Android software for the first time, an acknowledgement that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter.
- China's Huawei Technologies expects total shipments of smartphones in southeast Asia to rise 160% to 8 million units in 2015, boosted by strong demand in Myanmar, it said on Thursday.
- 12 Jun 2015:Foxconn has said it is aiming to develop 10-12 facilities in India, including factories and data centers, by 2020, but had given no detail.
- 10 Jun 2015:A new report says the Chinese phone maker is prepping a handset with a humongous 3,840x 2,160-pixel display.
- 9 Jun 2015:
- 8 Jun 2015:Chipmaker Qualcomm has put a chunk of spectrum up for sale in Britain which could appeal to mobile operators grappling with the demand for Internet access.
- 4 Jun 2015:Confirmed: Sony Mobile cuts 1,000 workers in Sweden as handset maker restructures (Jun 1) - TechCrunchSony Mobile is cutting 1,000 jobs in Sweden, as part of a larger restructuring to push the struggling handset maker into profitability.
- 2 Jun 2015:A new low-power, high-speed memory technology on the horizon could replace solid-state drives, hard drives and DRAM in PCs, and bring higher levels of storage capacity to mobile devices and wearables.
- 27 May 2015:Failing to find viable buyers, the debt-ridden South Korean smartphone-maker Pantech has decided to end court receivership.
- 21 May 2015:Huawei and Qualcomm jointly complete CAT11-based 3CC CA+256QAM test, reaching 600 Mbit/s rate - Company releaseHuawei and Qualcomm Technologies, a subsidiary of Qualcomm, have jointly announced the completion of tests using LTE CAT11 terminals.
- 15 May 2015:An increasing number of companies, mainly retailers, are launching low-cost smartphone services in Japan by taking advantage of a regulatory step designed to help users easily switch mobile operators.
- Finland's Nokia is planning to cut up to 70 jobs from its technologies unit in Finland, its spokeswoman said on Wednesday.
- 7 May 2015:Siemens AG, Europe's largest engineering company, will cut another 4,500 jobs after second-quarter profit fell more than analysts estimated, burdened by the declining oil price.
- 4 May 2015:The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge have recently been plagued by serious memory problems, as poor memory management is leading to massive slowdowns and random app crashes, including force closes.
- 29 Apr 2015:Qualcomm has announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, is powering LG's latest flagship smartphone, the LG G4. The new smartphone is the first to feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor with X10 LTE.
- In a year that's seen Panasonic giving up on plasma TVs and consumer mobile phones, the Japanese company has finally returned to profit.
- 28 Apr 2015:Lenovo and Acer have both unveiled smartphones with much larger than normal batteries.
- Microsoft has lost the first round in a patent battle that could see its handsets banned from import into the US.
- Imagination joins 5G Innovation Centre to drive development of next-generation mobile data networks
- Smart Taiwan Pavilion at MWC Shanghai: Exploring innovative Taiwan 4G mobile applications
- A leading Taiwan IC fabless crafts versatile RF technology: Interview with Peter Chen, product marketing manager of AMICCOM
- Jorjin launch SimpleLink module solutions for Internet of Everything
- AZUL Design provides integrated services for UI/UX and program design in Asia Pacific
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
HTC has launched its flagship smartphone M8
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
Computex has evolved into one of the biggest and most important ICT trade shows in the world since...
Although the company has not been operating in the gaming notebook industry for long, Gigabyte Technology...
The Cortex-A72 processor is ARM's highest-performance and most advanced processor. Based on the ARMv8-A...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...