- 8 Oct 2015:Following the launch of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus last month, it was discovered that Apple is dual sourcing the A9 chip for the new devices from both TSMC and Samsung, with the chips from the two companies measuring at slightly different sizes due to different processes used in manufacturing the chips.
- 7 Oct 2015:Samsung Electronics estimated July-September operating profit would leap 80% from a year earlier to 7.3 trillion won ($6.3 billion), higher than a 6.7 trillion won profit Thomson Reuters SmartEstimate derived from 30 analysts.
- Western Digital and Unisplendour have entered into an agreement under which a subsidiary of Unis will make a US$3.775 billion equity investment in Western Digital.
- If you have seen a 4K ultra-high-definition television, then you know the kind of sharp, vivid, and realistic-looking video quality they are capable of delivering.
- Some of the cheaper models can be bought for as little as just over $1000 without a lens and we've even seen a couple come out that are priced at well below the $1000 line.
- In what's been the worst-kept secret thanks to a number of leaks, including photographs of the new player, streaming media device maker Roku is at last officially announcing the launch of its latest product, the Roku 4.
- 6 Oct 2015:International Business Machines has formed a new business unit to capitalize on the recent groundswell in artificial intelligence.
- The new company will aim to commence operations on April 1, 2016.
- 5 Oct 2015:
- 2 Oct 2015:DISH has announced that it will bring its first ever 4K ultra HD set-top box, the 4K Joey to customers very soon, offering a connection to the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR System from the 4K TV of a user's choice.
- Micron Technology's fourth-quarter profit fell sharply as lower selling prices again drove down revenue, underscoring the effects of weakened demand for personal computers.
- Synaptics, the maker of touch-screen technology used in phones, tablets and computers, rejected an offer from a state-backed Chinese investment group that valued the company at almost US$4 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- Struggling chipmaker AMD has said it will cut about 500 jobs, or 5% of its global workforce, as it looks to rein in costs amid weak demand for its chips used in personal computers and intense competition.
- 1 Oct 2015:Chinese interest in Synaptics and Western Digital shows Beijing is accelerating efforts to buy the building blocks for a domestic technology industry.
- Toshiba Corp (6502.T) may lay off staff in its underperforming home appliances, TV and PC businesses and seek a partner for its nuclear operations to overhaul the company after a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, its chief executive said on Thursday.
- Apple today announced it has sold more than 13 million new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models, a new record, just three days after launch.
- 30 Sep 2015:On Tuesday, Dom Esposito at 9to5Mac shared a video demonstrating the 4K footage that millions of new iPhone 6s owners are probably trying out for the very first time this week.
- Amazon unveiled its 4K-capable Fire TV a few weeks ago, Roku is rumored to have its first 4K box waiting in the wings, and TiVo just jumped into the 4K streaming landscape as well.
- 28 Sep 2015:Slowing smartphone and tablet demand growth and declining PC sales in the next 12 months are likely to drive further consolidation in the highly fragmented USD25bn IC outsourced semiconductor assembly and test (OSAT) industry, Fitch Ratings says.
- Apple A9 chip cores in iPhone 6s and 6s Plus deliver a processor punch to Samsung, Qualcomm (Sep 25) - Apple InsiderPreliminary testing of Apple's latest A-series mobile Application Processor shows that it brings a big jump in general CPU performance over last year's already speedy A8. It also advances Apple's lead in proprietary ARM core design performance over Samsung and Qualcomm.
- Qualcomm directly invests in Indian mobile and internet start-up companies to keenly foster the local ecosystem.
- 25 Sep 2015:Amazon has revealed details of six new pilot TV shows scheduled to debut in the fall exclusively through the Amazon Prime services in the US, UK, Germany and Austria.
- Chipmaker Marvell Technology said it would cut about 17% of its global workforce as the company trims its mobile business.
- 24 Sep 2015:
- IoT of tomorrow can change mankind
- Leveraging smart automated SI energy, Toes helps manufacturers move towards Industry 4.0
- Paving the Way to Flexible, Customer-centric Telco Services with SDN and NFV
- AVEXIR Technologies announced brand new product series, S100 series SSD
- ASRock Rack 2U & 3U server solution supports the latest NVIDIA GRID 2.0
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Intel processor shipments rely on Windows tablets for growth
- Digitimes Research: Tablets with phone functionality from white-box players to suffer over 15% decline in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: Intel 28nm SoFIA 4G AP delayed to early 2016; may face overlap issue with 14nm version
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
The early success Google's Android platform has achieved in the handset market has caused system makers, software developers and semiconductor players...
Taiwan notebook Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs) account for more than 90% of global notebook production and Digitimes is there to provide daily...
Notebook brand vendors have been postponing their RFQ processores for 2016orders, lacking development direction and waiting for Intel new Skylake processors...
Apple has released its latest innovations including the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, iPad Pro and new Apple TV.
Notebook vendor Acer aims to ship at least five million smartphones in 2015 and plans to hike the shipments...
The acquisition of Freescale by NXP Semiconductors will make NXP the world's second largest MCU supplier...
Competition in the graphics card market has grown fierce as demand for graphics cards from the gaming...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - Jun 2011
The motherboard industry began 2010 with optimism and expected to see a reversal of the previous two years' declines in revenues and shipments as the impact of...