- 16 Jan 2017:The results of the investigation will likely be announced on Jan. 23, a day before it announces detailed fourth-quarter earnings results, said the person, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter and declined to be identified.
- 14 Jan 2017:A non-volatile memory technology based on carbon nanotubes that's poised for commercialization in 2018 is expected to be more disruptive to enterprise storage, servers and consumer electronics than flash memory, according to a new report from BCC Research.
- Momentum behind the push to transition the semiconductor industry to 450mm wafers - which seemed substantial just a few short years ago - now appears all but dead, at least for now.
- Rosenblatt Securities's Jun Zhang today reiterates a Buy rating on shares of Qualcomm, and raises his price target to $75 from $70, writing that the company's set to ride the wave of smartphone sales by Chinese phone makers Vive and Oppo.
- 13 Jan 2017:Two senior China executives defended the country's big bet on its semiconductor industry here a week after a White House report called for international action against practices it called unfair. Executives from fab and capital equipment companies said the China government is not being unfair in the way it supports its still-infant industry.
- 12 Jan 2017:Corephotonics, an Israeli maker of dual camera technologies for smartphones, said on Wednesday it raised $15 million in a funding round that included Samsung Ventures, iPhone manufacturer Foxconn and chipmaker MediaTek.
- HTC U Ultra / Ocean Note to have the same 12 MP camera found inside the Google Pixel (Jan 10) - PhoneArenaHTC is officially hosting a press event later this week, on January 12, when it's likely going to announce (at least) two new smartphones.
- ARM opens its chips for x86 support to all manufacturers including Apple, Samsung (Jan 10) - WCCF TechRecently Qualcomm claimed that it'll be the only ARM partner that will support x86 apps on its platform. Now, ARM executives clarify that not only Qualcomm, but any other manufacturer out there will be able to run x86 apps on its platform - whether its Samsung, Apple, Huawei or others.
- 10 Jan 2017:Panasonic, Qualcomm team up for next-generation Android-based in-vehicle infotainment system (Jan 5) - Company releaseUsing a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820A processor, this concept system is based on the latest version of the Android OS (7.0 Nougat), which is designed to provide automakers with a superior, high-performing platform to quickly develop cloud-connected infotainment systems.
- 7 Jan 2017:Samsung Electronics has reported a 50% profit surge in its guidance for the fourth quarter despite the fiasco with its flagship Note 7 phone. The earnings estimate is higher than analysts predicted and would mark its highest quarterly profit since 2013.
- 6 Jan 2017:After being the first to reach 22nm then subsequently 14nm FinFET, Intel's chip development pace has slowed considerably for the move to 10nm with many losing confidence in Intel's ability to maintain a chip manufacturing advantage over competitors such as TSMC, Samsung, and Globalfoundries.
- 5 Jan 2017:Intel announced a new modem chip for smartphones using faster 5G technologies as it seeks to outpace rival Qualcomm in the battle for next generation mobile gear.
- 4 Jan 2017:Renesas Electronics has created a prototype for a fully self-driving car equipped with company's own semiconductors, which help control the vehicle as it moves forward, turns and stops.
- Transistors on Intel's 10nm generation will still be denser than those on today's 14nm chips-as well as other companies' 10nm offerings, said Intel senior fellow Mark Bohr.
- Samsung's chip, screen sales to drive fourth quarter profit to three-year high - analysts (Jan 4) - Reuters UKSamsung Electronics is likely to forecast its best quarterly profit in nearly three years on Friday, analysts said, with robust memory chip sales easing the pain of the costly failure of a flagship smartphone.
- SoftBank has lined up chip maker Qualcomm as an investor in the Japanese firm's new technology fund, helping the massive portfolio reach its $100 billion goal, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 3 Jan 2017:More than 177,000 people attended CES last year, making CES 2016 a record-breaking year.
- The Obama administration is finalizing a study that could lead to restrictions on Chinese investment in the US semiconductor sector.
- Qualcomm accidentally reveals the ASUS ZenFone AR, another Tango-enabled device before CES 2017 (Jan 2) - WCCF TechAt CES 2017, Qualcomm plans to showcase its Snapdragon 835, but more than that, it also intends on unveiling another Tango-enabled smartphone, but this time belonging to ASUS, and it is named the ZenFone AR.
- Apple will trim production of its iPhone family around 10% on the year in the first quarter of 2017, according to calculations by The Nikkei based on data from suppliers.
- 30 Dec 2016:The sell-off of Toshiba shares continues following news that the Japanese electronics maker could write down US nuclear assets by several billion dollars - a strong blow the company's fragile finances could have difficulty handling, investors fear.
- Two shops this morning offer data on China's mobile market, Cowen and Bernstein, with slightly different implications as far as the health of wireless chip vendor Qualcomm's business.
- Samsung Electronics plans to mass produce 64-layer NAND flash memory for the first time in the world early in 2017, while SK hynix plans to mass produce 72-layer NAND flash in the second half of 2017 jumping over 64-layer NAND flash.
- Japanese have been reluctant to split up their industrial empires, as the Sharp case shows, but if Tai can navigate the choppy waters of bruised egos and fiscal prudence to bring this turnaround to fruition then there's hope for the rest of the country. If Tai and Gou can't pull it off, there have to be doubts that anyone can.
- 29 Dec 2016:Huawei's Kirin 960 chip actually surpasses the Snapdragon 835 by racking up 1949 points in single-core and 6439 points in multi-core tests.
- Intel aims to gain the upper hand in the budding field of artificial intelligence with a new lineup of chip products in 2017, a senior executive said.
- Samsung Electronics is expected to rack up a handsome profit of almost KRW9 trillion over the fourth quarter, demonstrating a major turnaround from the disappointing third quarter performance due to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle.
- 28 Dec 2016:South Korea's pension fund head has been arrested in a probe into alleged corruption involving electronic firm Samsung and the country's president.
- South Korea's antitrust regulator slapped a record KRW1.03 trillion ($853 million) fine on Qualcomm for violating antitrust laws, the latest in a string of government actions that threaten the US chipmaker's most profitable business.
- 27 Dec 2016:Sumitomo Chemical is adding yet more capacity to produce touchscreens for smartphones with OLED displays in South Korea. The major Japanese chemical company plans to spend about JPY20 billion ($165 million) to increase capacity by 40% at the factory of its subsidiary in Pyeongtaek by October.
- 26 Dec 2016:IBM is set to top the list of patent holders for the 24th year in a row in the US. This is no ordinary feat. IBM is the only company to have ever exceeded over 7,000 US patent grants during a single year.
- Canon Tokki, surrounded by rice fields in the city of Mitsuke in Niigata prefecture, has a near monopoly on the machines capable of making screens with organic light-emitting diodes, which enable sharp, vibrant displays that use less energy.
- SK Hynix, one of South Korea's leading manufacturers of memory semiconductors, plans to leapfrog rival Samsung Electronics to mass produce the most-advanced generation of NAND flash - chips that feature 72 layers of data-storing cells.
- 22 Dec 2016:CEO Durcan sees supply-demand balance persisting in 2017.
- 21 Dec 2016:Apple Inc. is discussing with the Indian government the possibility of manufacturing its products in the country, according to two senior government officials, as the company seeks to expand its sales and presence in the South Asian nation.
- In a regulatory filing with the Financial Supervisory Service, SK Hynix said, "We are looking into various options, including setting up a joint venture with Seagate Technology, to strengthen the mid and long-term competitiveness of our nonvolatile storage flash chips. But no decision has yet been made."
- 20 Dec 2016:Qualcomm Technologies, Ericsson and SK Telecom have announced plans to conduct interoperability testing and over-the-air field trials based on 5G New Radio (NR) standards being developed based on specifications in 3GPP.
- As the demand for localized processing has grown, FPGAs have offered a way to keep devices running without quickly draining the battery. Lattice Semiconductor, while it has a small share of the FPGA market, has distinguished itself by reducing its FPGA power draw down to the microwatt level.
- Analysts with BlueFin Research Partners say that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) will begin manufacturing Apple's A11 processor in late April.
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan top foundries to enjoy particularly strong 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: China mobile AP shipments to rise 11.6% in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan top-3 foundries see combined revenues rise in 3Q16
- Digitimes Research: Global IC foundry output value to rise at 5% CAGR over 2016-2021
- Toshio Maruyama of Advantest receives SEMI Marketing Excellence Award
- Prize-winning: Raiden series triumphs in Taiwan Excellence Awards 2017
- Conexant working with Amazon to create AudioSmart 2-mic development kit for Amazon Alexa
- CEVA creates new value by enhancing IoT and machine learning applications
- DSP applications focus on IoT and computer vision to stimulate new industrial growth
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
TSMC and Samsung have been competing for clients for the 10nm node.
Earthquakes in Japan often cause huge damage. They have had strong impacts on the country's electronics industry.
A CNY120 billion (US$19 billion) national industry investment fund has been set up to help local foundries finance the build-up of advanced manufacturing...
Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) is seeking to acquire an up to 25% stake in fellow packaging house Siliconware Precision Industries (SPIL).
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
- Taiwan DRAM module industry overview - Jun 2011
The year 2010 represented a peak in recent years for the DRAM module industry. Optimism surfaced in the second half of 2009 thanks to a return of demand on the...
- Taiwan DRAM-module industry overview - May 2010
Back to 2006 when total revenues for the third-party module market reached US$12.2 billion, Taiwan had over 15 vendors shipping DRAM modules under their own brand...
- Taiwan semiconductor equipment industry overview - Aug 2008
Worries about a global economic downturn have taken a toll on a number of industries, with the semiconductor industry being no exception. Players in the semiconductor...
- Foundry overview - Sep 2006
Taiwan's semiconductor industry has begun to out-run its global peers, once more, in 2006. This followed a trough in 2004, caused by over-inventory, plus volatility...