- 25 May 2016:Sluggish sales of Apple's iPhones are starting to hit Sony's bottom line, with the electronics company warning Tuesday that it expects the business that makes components for smartphones to post a wider operating loss.
- Cowen & Co.'s semi analyst Timothy Arcuri reiterates an Outperform rating on shares of Qualcomm, apparently a likely potential bidder. Writes Arcuri, "While not specifically mentioned, QCOM is often cited as a potential buyer."
- Taiwan's tech suppliers will get significantly fewer orders from Apple in the second half of 2016 compared with a year ago, no thanks to an ongoing slump in demand for premium smartphones and a lack of groundbreaking features for the upcoming iPhone 7, sources familiar with the matter told the Nikkei Asian Review.
- 24 May 2016:Synopsys has completed the acquisition of Gold Standard Simulations, a leading provider of TCAD and EDA simulation solutions for design technology co-optimization (DTCO) of advanced process nodes.
- The study finds that the companies with the greatest number of IoT patents globally are the chip-makers Qualcomm and Intel, followed by Chinese network-gear maker ZTE.
- Japan's Toshiba plans to more than halve its capital base, a move that may enable it to resume paying dividends quicker and get a fresh capital injection as it aims to recover from a $1.3 billion accounting scandal last year.
- 23 May 2016:
- 22 May 2016:There have been many rumors swirling around the news Samsung Galaxy Note 6, which will be arriving, most likely, in August.
- 20 May 2016:Applied Materials said orders hit a 15-year high in its latest quarter, prompting the maker of semiconductor manufacturing tools to project a major rebound in its business later in 2016 as those transactions are completed.
- 19 May 2016:Amidst a phase of double-digit growth, Infineon reported a major reshuffle of its management board. Arunjai Mittal, responsible for the chipmaker's strategy development, sales and marketing, announced plans to leave the company. At the same time, the company announced to increase the top-level body from three to four members.
- Although Skyworks posted revenue growth, it missed analysts' estimates. This indicated that the slowdown in iPhone sales hit the company's earnings more than what was expected. This saw the company's stock fall by 6.9% after the announcement of the earnings.
- Google has developed its own accelerator chips for artificial intelligence it calls tensor processing units (TPUs) after the open source TensorFlow algorithms it released last year.
- UK chip designer Arm Holdings has bought imaging specialist Apical as the tech company shifts its focus away from smartphones and steps up its investments in new markets.
- 18 May 2016:Apple staffing up on wireless charging experts, including former uBeam engineers (May 17) - The VergeIn the last four months two former uBeam engineers with expertise in wireless charging and ultrasonic technology had been hired by Apple.
- 17 May 2016:Power semiconductor and power supply vendors are poised to cash in on strong growth anticipated for LED lighting in coming years, according to the latest forecast from market research firm IHS.
- Toshiba posted a wider-than-forecast operating loss after the troubled electronics conglomerate wrote down the value of its Westinghouse power unit.
- The MIT team is one of several working on Hyperloop, a vision for rapid travel put forth by Silicon Valley's most interesting man, Elon Musk.
- 16 May 2016:Analyst Steve Mullane of BlueFin Research Partners said that TSMC is "planning to double the production starts" of Intel's XMM 7360 LTE modem in the current quarter. The analyst says that this "correlates with the timing of the Apple A10 processor production ramp in preparation for the iPhone 7 launch in September.
- 15 May 2016:China's Tsinghua Holdings has disclosed an unspecified investment in Marvell Technology Group, a Silicon Valley chipmaker that recently replaced its leadership team in the wake of an accounting investigation and other problems.
- 12 May 2016:Renesas expects to be able to restore full pre-earthquake production capacity on May 22.
- 11 May 2016:Bosch said revenue rose 44% to an all-time high of EUR70.6 billion ($79.9 billion) last year helped by sales of car safety and assistance systems but cautioned that momentum had slowed at the start of 2016.
- SanDisk announces final regulatory approval for acquisition by Western Digital (May 10) - Company releaseSanDisk has announced that the Ministry of Commerce of China has approved the acquisition of SanDisk by Western Digital.
- 10 May 2016:IPhone supplier Imagination Technologies has jumped nearly 13% following news that a Chinese state-backed business has taken a 3% stake in the chip designer.
- GSA announces appointment of Leo Li as chairman of the GSA board of directors (May 9) - Company releaseThe GSA Board chairman is a coveted position throughout the industry reserved for the most innovative leaders who represent the semiconductor industry's most active global regions. Dr. Li will be the first chairman to serve from mainland China.
- 9 May 2016:
- STMicroelectronics has found that it is now analog and MEMS business unit that is dragging the company down and keeping it in loss.
- Beleaguered chipmaker Marvell Technology has announced it is appointed tech turnaround expert Richard S. Hill to be the chairman of its board of directors.
- The company, which completed its nearly $12 billion acquisition of Freescale last year, told investors it expects to outperform its peers until 2019 by growing at a compound annual rate of between 5% and 7%.
- 4 May 2016:Apple for months has been rumoured to be working on a new iPhone that will have no 3.5mm headphone jack. The company has been said to remove the 3.5mm jack from the iPhone 7 models and replace it with a Lightning port in order to make the smartphone slimmer. A new leaked image however tips that iPhone 7 will include a 3.5mm jack after all.
- 3 May 2016:As it proceeds with a massive restructuring plan announced earlier this month, Intel will exit the smartphone and tablet mobile SoC business by ending its struggling Atom chip product line. The discontinued products include those code-named SoFIA, Broxton and Cherry Trail.
- 29 Apr 2016:TJ Rodgers, one of the most prominent leaders of the microchip industry, plans to step down as chief executive of Cypress Semiconductor Corp after nearly 34 years running the company he founded.
- 28 Apr 2016:Though Xilinx beat FQ4 estimates, it's guiding for FQ1 revenue to be roughly flat relative to FQ4's $571.1M. That implies sales will miss a $578.7M consensus.
- Buoyed by strong sales of automotive chips and improved sales of devices for communications and industrial equipment, Texas Instruments Wednesday (April 27) reported higher than expected first quarter sales and profit and delivered a forecast for the second quarter that was within range of Wall Street's estimates.
- Samsung Electronics said on Thursday that its first-quarter operating profit rose 12% from a year earlier, propelled by strong initial sales for its flagship Galaxy S7 smartphones.
- Pulling back the outer shell on the Vive reveals a number of sensors-32 in total.
- 26 Apr 2016:Exclusive: AMD's Sunnyvale campus selling to Irvine Company (Apr 22) - Silicon Valley/San Jose Business JournalAdvanced Micro Devices, the struggling computer chipmaker, has long been identified with its sprawling white campus in Sunnyvale, its 1990s-era curved lobby greeting drivers at 1090 E. Duane Ave. But it looks like AMD's days at the 319,000-square-foot campus are numbered. The Irvine Company is in contract to acquire the 32.5-acre site, where the Newport Beach-based developer could build hundreds of apartments, according to multiple real estate sources.
- 25 Apr 2016:Chief Executive Officer Peter Wennink says most of his customers expect to incorporate EUV by 2019, and he's prepping for orders within the next year. "The industry needs EUV," he says.
- 24 Apr 2016:Samsung will have the thinner, 10-nanometer chipmaking technology in production later in 2016. Samsung also announced plans for a new cost-optimized 14-nanometer process as well as a second generation of 10-nanometer technology that it says will offer 10% better performance than the first generation.
- 21 Apr 2016:ASML forecast rising sales for this quarter, while predicting pressure on earnings as the introduction of new technology boosts costs.
- Apple A-series chip supplier Samsung this week announced plans to put a next-generation 10-nanometer chip fabrication process into production later in 2016, with the new technology supposedly affording a 10% increase in efficiency over existing iterations.
- UMC Holds 2016 Japan Technology Forum
- Securing a place in the high-end market: AVEXIR Technologies general manager Han-Hong Cheng gives a ten-year outlook on the company's future
- ASI is now Avexir official distributor in region of North America
- Macronix looks to build on automotive success with its high-performance Serial NOR Flash by eyeing ADAS opportunities
- With a decade of achievements, AVEXIR Technologies establishes itself as gamers' favorite
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
Earthquakes in Japan often cause huge damage. They have had strong impacts on the country's electronics industry.
A CNY120 billion (US$19 billion) national industry investment fund has been set up to help local foundries finance the build-up of advanced manufacturing...
Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) is seeking to acquire an up to 25% stake in fellow packaging house Siliconware Precision Industries (SPIL).
After acquiring MStar Semiconductor, MediaTek has announced more acquisitions.
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
China-based Tsinghua Unigroup is currently riding high in the global semiconductor industry with a...
While the product life cycles of analog ICs are getting shorter and shorter, the technical standards...
- Taiwan DRAM module industry overview - Jun 2011
The year 2010 represented a peak in recent years for the DRAM module industry. Optimism surfaced in the second half of 2009 thanks to a return of demand on the...
- Taiwan DRAM-module industry overview - May 2010
Back to 2006 when total revenues for the third-party module market reached US$12.2 billion, Taiwan had over 15 vendors shipping DRAM modules under their own brand...
- Taiwan semiconductor equipment industry overview - Aug 2008
Worries about a global economic downturn have taken a toll on a number of industries, with the semiconductor industry being no exception. Players in the semiconductor...
- Foundry overview - Sep 2006
Taiwan's semiconductor industry has begun to out-run its global peers, once more, in 2006. This followed a trough in 2004, caused by over-inventory, plus volatility...