- 8 Sep 2016:Apple was the only vendor among the market leaders to post a year-over-year decrease in shipment volumes, primarily because it did not launch a new model on the anniversary of its first generation Watch.
- 6 Sep 2016:Reportedly, 70% of Galaxy Note 7 devices came with batteries produced by Samsung SDI while the rest of 30% packed batteries made by Chinese company ATL.
- In its rush to beat rival products to market, notably Apple's new iPhone, Samsung Electronics has accelerated new phone launch cycles, but its haste is raising concerns that it fell short on quality testing.
- SoftBank surprised the technology world with a plan to acquire British chip designer ARM Holdings for £23.4 billion ($31.4 billion) back in July, the biggest ever purchase of a European technology company. After less than two months, SoftBank is announcing today that the transaction is complete.
- A gadget that makes smartphone videos look as if they were shot on a Steadicam and a plug-in that cuts the cost of 360-degree photography are among a range of new handset-enhancing camera products.
- With the help of Apple's iPhone 7 ramp and a big increase in the amount of revenue the company will get from each iPhone, Broadcom's results and guidance were a little better than analysts forecast.
- 5 Sep 2016:KGI: iPhone 7 to feature 2.4GHz A10 chip, IPX7 waterproofing, new 12 megapixel cameras, piano black color, more (Sep 3) - 9to5Mac.comIt is forecasting 65 million iPhone 7 units shipped by the end of the year, a significant decrease below the 82 million level set by the iPhone 6s in the same timeframe last year. KGI blames poor assembly yield and "limited innovative selling points."
- Apple Watch 2 components show 'noticeably thinner' display, expected battery boost (Sep 1) - 9to5Mac.comWe're expecting to see Apple introduce the Apple Watch 2 alongside the iPhone 7 at next week's September 7 event, and now alleged components from the updated watch are finally starting to leak.
- 4 Sep 2016:Leadership churn and fundamental challenges conspired against the modular smartphone.
- Samsung is replacing all 2.5m units that it has shipped of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone just weeks after its release, because to a spate of exploding batteries.
- 1 Sep 2016:One97 Communications Ltd., a New Delhi based mobile wallets and ecommerce company, has raised fresh funding in a move to build on its leadership position in India's hot payments and ecommerce scene.
- The head of Nokia's small, but highly profitable patent licensing division is leaving after two years in the role, the Finnish company said on Wednesday, weeks after he sealed a pace-setting patent deal with Samsung Electronics.
- It could be related to reports of exploding batteries.
- 31 Aug 2016:More than 95% of the microchip designer's investors voted in favour of the deal at a meeting in London
- 30 Aug 2016:Apple has been sued by owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus smartphones who say a design defect causes the phones' touchscreens to become unresponsive, making them unusable
- 29 Aug 2016:Apple could never recreate the success of the iPhone. But it doesn't need to (Jul 30) - The GuardianWith so many iPhones in use, the combination of replacement sales, adjunct sales (such as its Watch, which currently needs an iPhone to function) and services - its newest focus - has enough momentum to keep Apple profitable.
- Apple invents sapphire coating equipment to strengthen glass for future OLED displays (Aug 26) - Patently AppleThe US Patent and Trademark Office has published a patent application from Apple titled "Electronic Devices with Sapphire-Coated Substrates." The invention is designed to add a sapphire coating to future OLED displays like those that will begin shipping in 2017 and beyond.
- Images posted on Baidu show a Galaxy Note 7 which cannot be more than two weeks old, black and burnt, in the aftermath of the explosion.
- Apple's iOS devices like iPhones and iPads crashed twice as often in the second quarter compared to the previous one, new data shows.
- Paytm in talks to raise Rs 2,000 crore from Goldman Sachs, Temasek, Mediatek (Aug 29) - Economic TimesOne97 Communications, which runs mobile payment and ecommerce platform Paytm, is in advanced talks to raise fresh funding of about Rs 2,000 crore ($300 million) from Taiwanese semiconductor maker MediaTek, Goldman Sachs, Singapore's Temasek and other investors, according to two persons with knowledge of the development.
- 28 Aug 2016:Apple may need to contend with a supply shortage of the soon-to-be-released new model of its iPhone during the first round of the rollout, due to problems with faulty components, the Nikkei Asian Review has learned.
- 25 Aug 2016:Better-than-expected demand for Samsung Electronics' new Galaxy Note 7 is causing supply constraints globally, the South Korean tech giant said on Wednesday, suggesting strong initial sales for the new premium smartphone.
- 24 Aug 2016:Lenovo's stature in the mobile market is shaky, having recently experienced a 33% decline in sales-again, thanks to those other rising stars in China. However, it could still bounce back, and is therefore an important win for Microsoft.
- Apple accounted for 75% of the smartphone industry's profits in the second quarter, but that's down from more than 90% a year ago due to Samsung's Galaxy device lineup, according to Canaccord Genuity.
- High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f22852f8-549e-11e6-9664-e0bdc13c3bef.html#ixzz4IEwuqbQI Ahead of the ARM deal, SoftBank had sold $20bn worth of its most valuable assets, including shares in Chinese ecommerce group Alibaba, Finnish game developer Supercell and Japan's GungHo Online Entertainment.
- growing number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices affected by insidious 'touch disease' (Aug 23) - Mac RumorsAs the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus approach their second birthday, a growing number of users are suffering from what appears to be a latent manufacturing issue that presents as a gray flickering bar at the top of the screen and a display that's unresponsive or less responsive to touch.
- 23 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics plans to launch a program to sell refurbished used versions of its premium smartphones as early as 2017, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
- 22 Aug 2016:Xiaomi is preparing to enter the US smartphone market "in the near future," employing the same online sales and social media marketing tactics that helped the six-year-old startup become China's largest privately funded startup.
- 19 Aug 2016:Qualcomm needs to help Xiaomi to grow beyond its Android phone business model. It's time Xiaomi makes Snapdragon-powered Windows phones.
- 18 Aug 2016:World's third largest smartphone seller Huawei will start manufacturing handsets in India soon, details of which will be announced in about a month.
- According to new reports, Samsung's monthly Note 7 shipments could eclipse those of the Note 5, coming in at as many as 3 million phones per month during the third quarter of 2016.
- Xiaomi plans to set up two more manufacturing facilities in India through Foxconn (Aug 13) - Economic TimesXiaomi is looking to set up two more manufacturing facilities in India through its contract manufacturer Foxconn Technology Group.
- 17 Aug 2016:HMD Global Oy, a new Finnish company looking to relaunch the Nokia brand for phones, said on Monday it has hired Pekka Rantala, the former CEO of Angry Birds maker Rovio, as its Chief Marketing Officer.
- Cisco Systems is laying off about 14,000 employees, representing nearly 20 percent of the network equipment maker's global workforce, technology news site CRN reported, citing sources close to the company.
- 16 Aug 2016:HTC's flagship handset, the HTC 10, is apparently not selling well. T-Mobile has decided to dump the device after just two months on the market.
- A new FCC listing mentions two HTC smartphones that go by the code names G-2PW2100 and G-2PW4100. The listing also points to Google's Nexus website as the location of the handset manuals.
- Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' predicted to face supply constraints due to new dual-lens camera (Aug 5) - Mac RumorsAmit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets issued a note to investors this week, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, discussing features widely rumored for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" series. Thanks to growing demand for larger "phablet" screens, he predicts that the "iPhone 7 Plus" will account for one-third of production at launch.
- 10 Aug 2016:Russia is investigating Apple over allegations of fixing prices for the iPhone in the country.
- 9 Aug 2016:Security researchers have found a series of security holes in almost a billion Android devices that use chipsets from Qualcomm.
- 8 Aug 2016:Serious security flaws that could give attackers complete access to a phone's data have been found in software used on tens of millions of Android devices.
- G.fast IOP, a first in a Carrier Network environment; Swisscom makes it a reality that meets their network requirements
- GMobi acquires leading performance mobile advertising platform MassiveImpact
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Next stage of visionary mobile technology development: Virtual reality and IoT
- NVIDIA Pascal taking us one step closer to a VR world
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
HTC's latest development
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...