- 4 Jul 2016:Japan's NEC will sell most of its interest in a personal computer joint venture with Lenovo Group to the Chinese partner for about JPY20 billion (US$195 million), using the proceeds for growth investment.
- The company has decided to put more focus on growth in East Asia, Europe and the Middle East, while they expect that their Latin American and Asia Pacific businesses will prevail.
- 28 Jun 2016:The US government has extended through August 30 a reprieve to ZTE on tough export restrictions imposed on the Chinese smartphone maker in March for allegedly breaking sanctions against Iran, the Commerce Department said on Monday.
- Leaked photos that first surfaced on the French tech blog Nowhereelse.fr on June 25 appear to show the casing on the iPhone 7 with a much larger camera sensor opening than the previous iPhone, as well as a possible dual-camera configuration for the larger iPhone 7 Plus.
- 27 Jun 2016:A TCL device with the product name DTEK 50 has been certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance, which is odd because DTEK is the name of the privacy suite that ships on the BlackBerry Priv.
- 24 Jun 2016:More than 300,000 people have signed a petition urging Apple not to ditch the headphone socket from the version of the iPhone due for release this autumn.
- UKIP leader Nigel Farage hailed it as the UK's "independence day" but the Remain camp called it a "catastrophe."
- 23 Jun 2016:Low-cost iPhone SE cannibalizing sales Of pricier Apple handsets (Jun 21) - Investor's Business DailyApple's low-cost iPhone SE appears to be cannibalizing sales of more expensive handsets, including the flagship iPhone 6S, says Nomura Securities.
- 22 Jun 2016:In a speech at the National Press Club Monday (June 20), FCC chairman Tom Wheeler called 5G "a national priority" and set July 14 as the date the FCC will vote on new rules to open up high-band spectrum for high-speed, low-latency 5G wireless applications.
- Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 20 Jun 2016:The intellectual property tribunal said the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus looked too similar to the 100C model made by Shenzhen Beili, a small Chinese brand.
- 17 Jun 2016:Swedish mobile telecom gear maker Ericsson is being investigated by US authorities over possible corruption related to its business in China, Swedish daily Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) reported late on Thursday, citing unnamed sources.
- 16 Jun 2016:The acquisition makes up for the South Korean tech giant's lack in software, especially cloud, that has made it dependent on other vendors.
- 2 Jun 2016:Google is seeking to raise between $218 million and $221 million by selling shares in Chinese personal computer maker Lenovo, according to a deal term sheet seen by IFR on Wednesday.
- 1 Jun 2016:Apple will likely take three years between full-model changes of its iPhone devices, a year longer than the current cycle. In a typical two-year term, fall 2016 was supposed to see a major upgrade. But the changes on the model to be launched this autumn will be minor, such as improved camera quality.
- A patent-licensing firm is seeking to force Apple to suspend its Facetime and iMessage services claiming it has suffered "irreparable harm" as a result of the tech giant's actions.
- Xiaomi has agreed to purchase around 1,500 patents from Microsoft in an example of the rising costs facing the Chinese smartphone startup as it expands outside China.
- 30 May 2016:Globalfoundries releases performance-enhanced 130nm SiGe RF technology to advance next-generation wireless network communications (May 23) - Company releaseGlobalfoundries has announced a next-generation radio-frequency (RF) silicon solution for its Silicon Germanium (SiGe) high-performance technology portfolio. The technology is optimized for customers who need improved performance solutions for automotive radar, satellite communications, 5G millimeter-wave base stations and other wireless and wireline communication network applications.
- Apple watchers can add "OLED display" to the list of features we're expecting in the iPhone 7, as hinted by the CEO of Applied Materials.
- 24 May 2016:The study finds that the companies with the greatest number of IoT patents globally are the chip-makers Qualcomm and Intel, followed by Chinese network-gear maker ZTE.
- 23 May 2016:
- 22 May 2016:Nomura's Chris Chang thinks Sony is now behind schedule, which means that Apple will have to go to LG Innotek for assembly.
- Nokia is cutting 1,032 jobs in Finland as part of a cost-cutting program following its acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent, the telecom network equipment maker said in a statement on Friday.
- 19 May 2016:About a decade after Apple's iPhone first hit the market, Nokia is seeking to relaunch its consumer business with health bands and connected scales by acquiring French startup Withings.
- Nokia, which has refashioned itself into a maker of wireless and Internet network equipment, won't make or sell cellphones and tablets directly. Rather, the company said Wednesday that it has entered a series of licensing pacts with Finnish and Asian partners.
- UK chip designer Arm Holdings has bought imaging specialist Apical as the tech company shifts its focus away from smartphones and steps up its investments in new markets.
- 12 May 2016:The European Commission has blocked Three's £10.25 billion takeover of O2 on competition grounds, more than a year after the deal to form Britain's biggest mobile phone operator was announced.
- 29 Apr 2016:TJ Rodgers, one of the most prominent leaders of the microchip industry, plans to step down as chief executive of Cypress Semiconductor Corp after nearly 34 years running the company he founded.
- Amazon delivered a blowout quarter on Thursday, joining Facebook as one of the rare bright spots in a technology sector that has recently produced a string of disappointing earnings reports.
- 28 Apr 2016:JEDEC Solid State Technology Association has announced the publication of several key updates to the Universal Flash Storage (UFS) family of standards. These include JESD220C UFS version 2.1, JESD223C UFSHCI version 2.1, JESD220-1A UFS UME version 1.1 and JESD223-1A UFSHCI UME version 1.1.
- Samsung Electronics said on Thursday that its first-quarter operating profit rose 12% from a year earlier, propelled by strong initial sales for its flagship Galaxy S7 smartphones.
- 26 Apr 2016:
- 25 Apr 2016:Decline in iPhone shipments could make Apple worst-performing top-5 smartphone brand of 2016 (Apr 24) - Mac RumorsApple's global iPhone shipments will fall short of analysts' consensus estimates of 210 to 230 million units in the 2016 fiscal year, according to a new research note issued by respected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. In a worst case scenario, iPhone shipments in 2016 are expected to reach just 190 million units, which is an 18% reduction in shipment growth and 3 million fewer iPhones than Apple sold in 2014.
- 21 Apr 2016:TCL's net profit fell 92% on year to HK$14.25 million in the first quarter of 2016 as sales in China shrank sharply during its ongoing business transition. Revenue for the period fell 17 per cent, it said in a regulatory filing.
- 11 Apr 2016:Huawei is in talks with Foxconn to make mobile phones in India, while new entrant LeEco intends to start local production as both Chinese companies look to make a mark in the world's fastest-growing smartphone market.
- 7 Apr 2016:The improved outlook comes amid reports of strong sales of its latest flagship smartphone models, the Galaxy S7.
- ZTE shares had been suspended from trading since 7 March, at the request of the company. That was when the US announced restrictions against ZTE for alleged violations of US export controls regarding Iran.
- Nokia launches headcount reductions as part of global synergy and transformation program (Apr 6) - Company releaseNokia is taking steps to adapt to challenging market conditions and to shift resources to future-oriented technologies such as 5G, cloud computing and Internet of Things.
- 1 Apr 2016:Chinese tech giant Huawei's net profit totaled US$5.7 billion for the full year to December 2015, boosted by demand for its smartphones, among other devices.
- 25 Mar 2016:The Facebook phone would have been an 'iPhone-like moment,' says the exec who led it (Mar 23) - RecodeFacebook was working on a "beautiful" and "groundbreaking" phone designed by Yves Béhar in 2010, but it didn't yet have the money to make a big bet.
- GMobi acquires leading performance mobile advertising platform MassiveImpact
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Next stage of visionary mobile technology development: Virtual reality and IoT
- NVIDIA Pascal taking us one step closer to a VR world
- Introduction of LYNwave smart antenna solution
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
HTC's latest development
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Buoyed by its ZenFone series smartphones, Asustek Computer has captured a portion of the global smartphone...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...