- 24 Aug 2016:High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f22852f8-549e-11e6-9664-e0bdc13c3bef.html#ixzz4IEwuqbQI Ahead of the ARM deal, SoftBank had sold $20bn worth of its most valuable assets, including shares in Chinese ecommerce group Alibaba, Finnish game developer Supercell and Japan's GungHo Online Entertainment.
- growing number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices affected by insidious 'touch disease' (Aug 23) - Mac RumorsAs the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus approach their second birthday, a growing number of users are suffering from what appears to be a latent manufacturing issue that presents as a gray flickering bar at the top of the screen and a display that's unresponsive or less responsive to touch.
- 23 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics plans to launch a program to sell refurbished used versions of its premium smartphones as early as 2017, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
- 22 Aug 2016:Xiaomi is preparing to enter the US smartphone market "in the near future," employing the same online sales and social media marketing tactics that helped the six-year-old startup become China's largest privately funded startup.
- 19 Aug 2016:Qualcomm needs to help Xiaomi to grow beyond its Android phone business model. It's time Xiaomi makes Snapdragon-powered Windows phones.
- 18 Aug 2016:World's third largest smartphone seller Huawei will start manufacturing handsets in India soon, details of which will be announced in about a month.
- According to new reports, Samsung's monthly Note 7 shipments could eclipse those of the Note 5, coming in at as many as 3 million phones per month during the third quarter of 2016.
- Xiaomi plans to set up two more manufacturing facilities in India through Foxconn (Aug 13) - Economic TimesXiaomi is looking to set up two more manufacturing facilities in India through its contract manufacturer Foxconn Technology Group.
- 17 Aug 2016:HMD Global Oy, a new Finnish company looking to relaunch the Nokia brand for phones, said on Monday it has hired Pekka Rantala, the former CEO of Angry Birds maker Rovio, as its Chief Marketing Officer.
- Cisco Systems is laying off about 14,000 employees, representing nearly 20 percent of the network equipment maker's global workforce, technology news site CRN reported, citing sources close to the company.
- 16 Aug 2016:HTC's flagship handset, the HTC 10, is apparently not selling well. T-Mobile has decided to dump the device after just two months on the market.
- A new FCC listing mentions two HTC smartphones that go by the code names G-2PW2100 and G-2PW4100. The listing also points to Google's Nexus website as the location of the handset manuals.
- Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' predicted to face supply constraints due to new dual-lens camera (Aug 5) - Mac RumorsAmit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets issued a note to investors this week, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, discussing features widely rumored for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" series. Thanks to growing demand for larger "phablet" screens, he predicts that the "iPhone 7 Plus" will account for one-third of production at launch.
- 10 Aug 2016:Russia is investigating Apple over allegations of fixing prices for the iPhone in the country.
- 9 Aug 2016:Security researchers have found a series of security holes in almost a billion Android devices that use chipsets from Qualcomm.
- 8 Aug 2016:Serious security flaws that could give attackers complete access to a phone's data have been found in software used on tens of millions of Android devices.
- 4 Aug 2016:The recall impacts Basis Peak watches manufactured from August 2014 to July 2015, which were sold from November 2014 until June 2016.
- 1 Aug 2016:Chinese investors led by Shanghai Giant Network Technology Co. agreed to buy Caesars Entertainment's online casino-style games unit Playtika for US$4.4 billion, in a bet on the rising popularity of mobile play.
- 30 Jul 2016:
- 29 Jul 2016:Microsoft plans to lay off 2,850 employees, adding to previously announced job cuts as it retools its sales operations and dismantles its mobile phone hardware business.
- 28 Jul 2016:ARM Holdings said second-quarter revenue rose to $387.6 million, an increase of 9% from the same period in 2015, while profit climbed 17% to 90 million pounds ($118 million).
- LG Innotek said July 28 that it would invest US$230 million by 2018 to build a camera module factory in Haiphong, the third largest city of Vietnam.
- 26 Jul 2016:
- 25 Jul 2016:The Wi-Fi Alliance industry group is now certifying products that can deliver multi-gigabit speeds and improve coverage in dense networks by delivering data to multiple devices simultaneously.
- The deal includes Yahoo real estate assets, while some intellectual property is to be sold separately.
- 22 Jul 2016:
- 21 Jul 2016:Son also briefly mentioned during the Japanese press conference that as soon as SoftBank announced the ARM acquisition deal, Son received a call from Alibaba's Jack Ma. "He was very enthusiastic. He told me that he is really interested in driving the China-ARM relationship."
- Although based in Japan, Softbank is very much a Chinese company.
- 20 Jul 2016:
- 19 Jul 2016:ARM founder Hermann Hauser said the result of the Softbank deal meant the "determination of what comes next for technology will not be decided in Britain any more, but in Japan".
- 18 Jul 2016:SoftBank Group is nearing a deal to buy ARM Holdings for more than $32 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said, securing a slice of virtually every mobile computing gadget on the planet and future connected devices.
- 15 Jul 2016:It is no secret that smartphone component manufacturing is slowing down, so is Samsung aiming for the next booming business, supplying batteries to electric vehicles?
- 14 Jul 2016:Nokia and Samsung have expanded their patent cross-licensing deal, leading Nokia to anticipate a significant boost to its licensing sales.
- 12 Jul 2016:While we know nothing official about the next iPhone -- currently expected to be called the iPhone 7 -- all rumors and leaks suggest that it's going to be a pretty mediocre upgrade. But pent-up demand for a new iPhone from the two-thirds of owners who, by the time the new iPhone launches will be running hardware that's two or more years old, might buoy sales.
- Samsung Galaxy S7 active fails Consumer Reports water-resistance test (Jul 8) - Consumer Reports.orgThe phone is supposed to survive 30 minutes in 5 feet of water. In our testing, it didn't.
- Microsoft has confirmed it will close its mobile phone unit in Finland, cutting 1,350 jobs.
- 7 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics expects to post its most profitable quarter in more than two years because of strong sales of its flagship S7 line of smartphones.
- Taiwan is bracing itself for the arrival of a vast typhoon, expected to hit the island on Friday.
- 6 Jul 2016:Apple iPhone 7 shipments could disappoint; Skyworks, Cirrus Logic dive (Jul 5) - Investor's Business DailySkyworks Solutions and Cirrus Logic shares nosedived Tuesday after Pacific Crest analyst Michael McConnell downgraded the stocks and predicted a 15%-20% decline in Apple iPhone 7 shipments later this year compared with shipments of the iPhone 6S after that product was released last September.
- GMobi acquires leading performance mobile advertising platform MassiveImpact
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Next stage of visionary mobile technology development: Virtual reality and IoT
- NVIDIA Pascal taking us one step closer to a VR world
- Introduction of LYNwave smart antenna solution
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
HTC's latest development
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...