- 4 Jan 2017:
- SoftBank has lined up chip maker Qualcomm as an investor in the Japanese firm's new technology fund, helping the massive portfolio reach its $100 billion goal, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 3 Jan 2017:More than 177,000 people attended CES last year, making CES 2016 a record-breaking year.
- Apple will trim production of its iPhone family around 10% on the year in the first quarter of 2017, according to calculations by The Nikkei based on data from suppliers.
- 30 Dec 2016:The success of the new Apple AirPods must have got the attention of the company's biggest rival in the smartphone industry and according to the latest rumor, Samsung is preparing a competitor that will most likely be launched with the announcement of the Galaxy S8.
- Two shops this morning offer data on China's mobile market, Cowen and Bernstein, with slightly different implications as far as the health of wireless chip vendor Qualcomm's business.
- 29 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is expected to rack up a handsome profit of almost KRW9 trillion over the fourth quarter, demonstrating a major turnaround from the disappointing third quarter performance due to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle.
- 26 Dec 2016:Canon Tokki, surrounded by rice fields in the city of Mitsuke in Niigata prefecture, has a near monopoly on the machines capable of making screens with organic light-emitting diodes, which enable sharp, vibrant displays that use less energy.
- 23 Dec 2016:Nokia said on Wednesday it had filed a number of lawsuits against Apple for violating 32 technology patents, striking back at the iPhone maker's legal action targeting the one-time cellphone industry leader a day earlier.
- 21 Dec 2016:Apple Inc. is discussing with the Indian government the possibility of manufacturing its products in the country, according to two senior government officials, as the company seeks to expand its sales and presence in the South Asian nation.
- 20 Dec 2016:Qualcomm Technologies, Ericsson and SK Telecom have announced plans to conduct interoperability testing and over-the-air field trials based on 5G New Radio (NR) standards being developed based on specifications in 3GPP.
- Samsung was Apple's main supplier for the iPhones from the very beginning, making the A-series processors and supplying both NAND flash and DRAM memory chips.
- 13 Dec 2016:Apple has held talks to invest up to $1 billion in a new $100 billion tech fund being set up by Japan's SoftBank Group, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Monday.
- 12 Dec 2016:Apple reportedly introducing a red chassis color option with new 'iPhone 7s' in 2017 (Dec 7) - 9to5Mac.comUnlike KGI, Macotakara says that the 7s series would not include features like wireless charging or a glass casing. It would be a straightforward internal component update, moving from the A10 chip to the A11 chip, alongside the introduction of the red color option for the exterior.
- 8 Dec 2016:Apple argued in a Beijing court on Wednesday that its iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus mobile designs do not copy a Chinese product and should be allowed to be sold on the Chinese mainland.
- Foxconn Technology, which manufactures Apple's iPhone and other products, said it is in talks to expand in the US. The statement comes amid President-elect Donald Trump's push for a return of manufacturing to the US.
- When a Beijing regulator recently ruled against Apple in a patent dispute, it handed a victory to a Chinese company that barely exists.
- 7 Dec 2016:Eight users have complained to Shanghai's consumer watchdog that their iPhone 6 series handsets spontaneously combusted or exploded. Apple said it had conducted tests on the devices and had found "no cause for concern with these products".
- 25 Nov 2016:Apple will switch to an all-glass casing for next year's entire iPhone lineup in order to support wireless charging, with Pegatron being the exclusive supplier of the wireless charger.
- 24 Nov 2016:Apple plans to ship at least one new iPhone with an OLED screen next year, the 10th anniversary of the smartphone's debut, people with knowledge of the matter said. A pair of other new iPhone models will likely feature screens that use older LCD technology, partly because there won't be enough OLED displays to satisfy anticipated demand, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
- 2017 4.7-inch LCD 'iPhone 7s' predicted to become Apple's new mid-range affordable handset (Nov 23) - Apple InsiderWith Apple expected to launch three new iPhone models next year, a new report suggests the company could slash prices on the 4.7- and 5.5-inch models with legacy LCD technology, allowing them to appeal to a new segment of consumers.
- Apple is cutting orders for assembly of iPhone for the March quarter, which raises some risk to sales outlook, Rosenblatt Securities's Jin Zhang said.
- 23 Nov 2016:Apple's iPhone secured 103.6% of the smartphone industry's profits during the third quarter, BMO Capital Markets analyst Tim Long said in a research note on Thursday. That's the highest share of profits Apple has nabbed in recent memory and easily topped its approximately 70% share of profits in the second quarter. In the third quarter of 2015, Apple's iPhone profit share hovered above 90%.
- 19 Nov 2016:
- 16 Nov 2016:RCS is a messaging standard set by GSMA that allows the sending of texts, group chat, and the sharing of large multimedia files. Unlike other messaging apps, it allows users to communicate on any network by telcos who have RCS infrastructure.
- According to the latest rumor from its home country of South Korea, Samsung is thinking about making the Galaxy S8 come with a pressure-sensitive display. If you're wondering what that means, just think Apple's 3D Touch on iPhones - that's basically it. The technology detects how hard you press on the screen, and this can be used by software to enable different functionality depending on the pressure level applied. The rumor is reportedly coming from multiple industry sources, as well as a senior executive at Samsung's component division.
- 15 Nov 2016:Dolby drags Oppo and Vivo to court; demands royalties for unlicensed use of proprietary technology (Nov 11) - FirstpostDolby has dragged Vivo and Oppo to court for illegally selling phones with Dolby technology. The court has ordered the two companies to deposit Rs 32 per infringing device manufactured, imported and sold in escrow while royalty terms are discussed.
- 10 Nov 2016:Will fingerprint swiping and gestures be the next big thing? We don't know for sure. But Google took a chance with it on the Google Pixel smartphones. And now it seems like Samsung will be having this technology in their phones soon, probably on the Samsung Galaxy S8 if all things go right.
- 9 Nov 2016:Filing suggests Apple investing big in OLED supply, increasing capital expenditure (Nov 8) - Apple InsiderAn investment firm has delved deeply into Apple's most recent Securities and Exchange Commission 10-K filing, and sees purchase orders extending over one year in duration which suggests to them that Apple is in the middle of a big OLED buy from Samsung -the main supplier of the technology.
- 8 Nov 2016:Amid anti-trust probe, Qualcomm says it will invest in a lab in Taiwan (Nov 7) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaReporters from Reuters and the Nikkei Asian Review were denied access to a post-event group interview with Qualcomm executive chairman Paul Jacobs, to which only journalists from Taiwan's local press were invited.
- South Korean prosecutors have raided the offices of Samsung Electronics as part of a probe into the political scandal around President Park Geun-hye.
- A Canadian company is suing Sony in a Chinese court for alleged patent infringement, in a dispute that could establish the country as an important new venue for intellectual property cases.
- Apple will get 3-5 year lead in augmented reality; use it for autonomous driving - KGI (Nov 2) - 9to5Mac.comA rather speculative KGI note suggests that Apple's focus on augmented reality (AR) instead of virtual reality (VR) will give the company a 3-5 year lead on the rest of the industry when it launches its first products. The report also suggests that Apple could use augmented reality as part of an autonomous driving system.
- Apple captured an estimated 104% of total smartphone industry profits during Q3. How is this possible? Because the Android vendors were busy losing money.
- Apple will not refresh the iPhone SE in the first half of 2017, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The lack of refresh comes as Apple attempts to maintain high margins on its high-end iPhone models, Kuo said in a new research note.
- After pooh-poohing the iPhone years ago, Steve Ballmer just praised Apple (Nov 4) - Business InsiderWhen Apple launched the iPhone in 2007, one of the biggest and loudest skeptics was Steve Ballmer, who was CEO of Microsoft at the time.
- 3 Nov 2016:Apple wins surprising patent for a future bendable or foldable iPhone using advanced carbon nanotube structures (Nov 1) - Patently AppleApple's granted patent 9,485,862 was filed in Q3 2014 and published today by the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- 2 Nov 2016:The all-American iPhone may remain somewhat of a fantasy for now, but at least a few more of its internal chips could end up being manufactured on home turf.
- Chipmaker Broadcom is nearing a deal to acquire network gear maker Brocade Communications Systems Inc in a deal that could be announced later this week, people familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.
- Telecom companies' preference for NFV drives enterprise vCPE market forward
- G.fast IOP, a first in a Carrier Network environment; Swisscom makes it a reality that meets their network requirements
- GMobi acquires leading performance mobile advertising platform MassiveImpact
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Next stage of visionary mobile technology development: Virtual reality and IoT
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
HTC's latest development
Asustek's smartphone shipments may have been disappointing in 2016, but the vendor is seeking a rebound in 2017.
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...