- 26 Jan 2016:Sprint has axed at least 2,500 jobs across six customer care centers and its Kansas headquarters as part of its plan to cut $2.5 billion in costs, a company spokeswoman said on Monday.
- 19 Jan 2016:China's economy grew by 6.9% in 2015, compared with 7.3% a year earlier, marking its slowest growth in a quarter of a century.
- 12 Jan 2016:Foxconn plans to double smartphone capacity at Andhra Pradesh facility, build (Jan 12) - The Economic TimesFoxconn plans to take total production capacity to 2.5 million smartphones a month by year-end 2016 and add 1,000 people to its existing workforce at the India plant.
- 11 Jan 2016:China's economic slowdown, coupled with turbulence in the stock market, is prompting investors to take a second look at China's high startup valuations. Startups such as Xiaomi, which raised vast sums on China's mobile Internet boom, are now facing growing pressure to live up to expectations.
- 8 Jan 2016:Samsung Electronics says its operating profit is likely to rise 15% in the fourth quarter from a year ago, missing market expectations.
- South Korea's No. 2 mobile carrier KT has suspended selling China-based Xiaomi's smartphone, industry sources said Wednesday, only two days after it started sales.
- Qualcomm Chief Executive Steve Mollenkopf has reason to be glad 2015 is over, after a series of disruptions and disappointments for the big chip maker. At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, he launched a fusillade of Snapdragon processors designed to ensure a better year to come by taking that brand beyond its stronghold in smartphones.
- Apple COO says company takes heat on child labor because it goes out looking for it (Jan 7) - 9to5Mac.comApple COO Jeff Williams says that the reason Apple has come under attack for the use of child labor in its supply chain is that the company actively goes out looking for it. Other companies, he claims, simply keep their heads down.
- 30 Dec 2015:Chinese tech website MyDrivers.com posted a picture that supposedly includes telecom giant China Mobile's presentation of its plans for 2016. On the right hand column of the presentation labeled "April or later," one product reads "future Apple iPhone 7C."
- 27 Dec 2015:Just over a week after Samsung paid Apple more than $548 million for infringing the patents and designs of the iPhone, Apple has asked a US court to force its biggest smartphone rival to cough up even more.
- Fujitsu is planning to spin off its mobile phone handset business, as well as the PC operations, next spring so that it can respond swiftly to changes in market trends and boost profitability.
- 23 Dec 2015:Samsung Securities said on Dec. 13 that it trimmed Samsung Electronics' operating profit forecast for the fourth quarter by KRW300 trillion (US$253.91 million) to KRW6.8 trillion from the previous KRW7.1 trillion (US$6.01 billion) estimate due to sluggish sales in its component business.
- 22 Dec 2015:The video shows the phone from a few angles with a look at the innovative display as well as a lack of a physical home button and a main camera that doesn't have a flash LED.
- Apple cut prices of its latest iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus by up to 16% just two months after their launch in India.
- 21 Dec 2015:
- More and more analysts think the iPhone is about to go into decline for the first time ever (Dec 16) - Business Insider2015 might have been the year of "peak iPhone."
- 15 Dec 2015:Europe's competition regulator has accused Qualcomm of predatory pricing and paying a major handset maker to use its 4G baseband chips exclusively.
- 10 Dec 2015:
- Samsung has established new organizations that target and pursue new business initiatives to prepare for future growth. The company has formed an automotive components team, which will initially focus on building its competencies in infotainment and autonomous driving vehicles.
- 1 Dec 2015:The new head of Samsung Electronics' phone business helped develop its mobile payment and security platforms, exemplifying Vice Chairman Lee Jae Yong's focus on software innovations as a way to gain distance from rival devices.
- Samsung Group vice Chairman Lee Jae Yong faces his first real test as the conglomerate's de facto leader, and it doesn't look good for executives at the mobile-phone division.
- 25 Nov 2015:Google's revamp of its Android One operating system for smartphones does not appear to have helped the search giant much, if shipment data from market research firm Cybex Exim Solutions is anything to go by.
- 12 Nov 2015:Samsung Electronics plans to mass-produce a new processor that will be used in the company's next mobile devices, according to industry officials.
- 6 Nov 2015:BlackBerry has launched its first smartphone running the Android operating system. It is a new approach for the company which has struggled to attract customers to its own operating system, BB10.
- 3 Nov 2015:Qualcomm has signed a new worldwide 3G/4G license agreement with ZTE. The license includes terms that are consistent with the rectification measures that Qualcomm submitted to China's National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) in February, 2015.
- 29 Oct 2015:Samsung Electronics is tapping its $50 billion cash pile to buy back shares and invest in its components business after struggles in the smartphone division battered investors. Shares surged.
- 16 Oct 2015:Apple appears to be facing a fight over up to $400 million now that a jury has ruled it infringed on a patent owned by the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 7 Oct 2015:Samsung Electronics estimated July-September operating profit would leap 80% from a year earlier to 7.3 trillion won ($6.3 billion), higher than a 6.7 trillion won profit Thomson Reuters SmartEstimate derived from 30 analysts.
- 1 Oct 2015:Apple today announced it has sold more than 13 million new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models, a new record, just three days after launch.
- 28 Sep 2015:Qualcomm directly invests in Indian mobile and internet start-up companies to keenly foster the local ecosystem.
- 21 Sep 2015:Samsung could be forced to stop selling some phones after Apple won an appeal in a US court.
- 18 Sep 2015:Qualcomm is slashing more than 1,300 full-time jobs in San Diego and has cut hundreds more in other states.
- 10 Sep 2015:Samsung Electronics has lost about 15% of its market value this year as its new flagship Galaxy S6 failed to impress and the founding Lee family was seen solidifying its control over Samsung Group's crown jewel, raising corporate governance concerns.
- 8 Sep 2015:The first mobile phone manufacturer to take advantage of Google's Android software, HTC was once a strong player in the market, but in the past several years has steadily lost ground to competitors Samsung, Apple and, more recently, efficient Chinese manufacturers such as Xiaomi and Huawei.
- 3 Sep 2015:Mediatek bets big on 4G, plans to expand research and development team in India (Sep 2) - Economic TimesMediaTek, which works with India's local handset makers like Micromax, Karbonn and Lava, and has some 500 people across R&D and a design centre in Bangalore, plans to add "a few hundred" people over the next 1-2 years.
- 17 Aug 2015:A purported iPhone 6s benchmark posted by blog Ringer Blue Men shows that the new device only has 1GB of RAM, or just as much as last year's iPhone 6 had. If accurate, this would be a major disappointment.
- According to the website Tech Times, new information shows that the Surface Pro 4 is definitely on the way.
- 14 Aug 2015:Motorola Mobility began laying off about 500 employees Thursday, cutting 25% of its Chicago workforce just over a year after moving from Libertyville into a new headquarters in the Merchandise Mart.
- 13 Aug 2015:Lenovo is laying off 3,200 employees and trimming down its smartphone portfolio in response to a slowdown in its PC and handset sales.
- 12 Aug 2015:Apple is a company that's accustomed to being loved by its customers. Carriers, on the other hand, are companies consumers love to hate.
- Digitimes Research: Wi-SUN widely used in Japan, but internationalization faces problems
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan smartphone shipments set to decline in 2Q16
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone AP shipments to grow 11.3% sequentially in 2Q16
- Digitimes Research: Global tablet shipments in 1Q16 estimated at 44.89 million units
- GSMA announces further details for Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2016
- Good Way Technology's DU 3900 granted the winner of HKEIA Award
- LitePoint integrates flexible PA/FEM testing in one chassis
- 'Smart IoT Testing for Wireless Future' – An enlightenment on IoT testing technologies, innovative applications, and new thinking
- Paving the Way to Flexible, Customer-centric Telco Services with SDN and NFV
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
HTC's latest development
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Buoyed by its ZenFone series smartphones, Asustek Computer has captured a portion of the global smartphone...
Notebook vendor Acer aims to ship at least five million smartphones in 2015 and plans to hike the shipments...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...