- 7 Feb 2017:This is the new BlackBerry - software licensing powerhouse. With its latest signing, the once dominant smartphone maker now blankets the globe with its manufacturing deals, a completion of its prolonged pivot toward becoming a software and services-only company.
- 6 Feb 2017:After months of negotiations, Apple is set to start manufacturing iPhones in the Indian tech hub Bangalore, said Priyank Kharge, the state's information technology minister.
- 2 Feb 2017:Last year Nextbit launched the innovative Robin Android smartphone. It has just been acquired by Razer and will continue to operate as an independent entity within the larger company.
- Another top-ranking figure has left HTC as Global Executive Vice President Jason Mackenzie announced the end of his run with the Taiwanese consumer electronics firm via Twitter, saying Monday was his final day.
- With no Galaxy S8 announcement, Samsung downsizes its annual Mobile World Congress keynote (Feb 1) - VenturebeatBreaking with recent tradition, Samsung had already said it would not be introducing its new Galaxy S8 smartphone at the massive Mobile World Congress that starts in late February. Instead, the phone will be unveiled at a separate event on March 29.
- 27 Jan 2017:Facebook has appointed Xiaomi executive Hugo Barra to lead its virtual reality initiatives, including the Oculus VR business that was acquired in 2014.
- 26 Jan 2017:Apple is nearing a deal to manufacture its products in India, according to a senior government official, as the company seeks to boost its sales in a market that is home to more than 1.2 billion people.
- 25 Jan 2017:Samsung pegs 7nm chip production for 'early 2018,' in time for the Galaxy S9 processor (Jan 24) - PhoneArenaTSMC is expected to undergo risk production of 7nm chipsets this year, and mass production next year, while Samsung now also cites an aggressive roadmap for "early 2018," meaning that the Galaxy S9 will most likely flaunt a 7nm processor.
- "The Snapdragon 835 won't be available in large quantities until after the Galaxy S8 launches," source said.
- 24 Jan 2017:The core of the new attack from Apple and the FTC is aimed at Qualcomm's practice of charging royalties based on a device's total value, as opposed to just the value of the mobile chips inside the device.
- Xiaomi was little known outside China in 2013, when Hugo Barra left a top job at Alphabet's Google and signed on to make the Chinese smartphone maker a force internationally.
- 23 Jan 2017:The higher battery density of the Galaxy Note 7 compared to its predecessor was not the root cause of the phones catching fire, according to Samsung Electronics' mobile boss DJ Koh.
- 20 Jan 2017:Between January and March 2015, ride-sharing service Uber put out ads on Craigslist in the hope of attracting new drivers by offering attractive hourly rates of pay.
- 18 Jan 2017:China's government has conveyed its concern over Foxconn Technology Group billionaire Terry Gou's plan to expand the Apple assembler's operations in the US after President-elect Donald Trump takes office, people familiar with the matter said.
- Google is expanding its "Android One" program for low-cost smartphones to the US in coming months, promising phone makers major new promotional dollars if they play by its rules, say three people briefed on the plan.
- Qualcomm used anticompetitive tactics to maintain a monopoly over semiconductor supply, the Federal Trade Commission alleged in a complaint on Tuesday.
- 17 Jan 2017:Samsung's Galaxy S7 is currently the only smartphone with a device boasting a IP68 rating, but Apple allegedly plans to catch up this year with an iPhone that can can be submerged just as deep.
- 16 Jan 2017:The results of the investigation will likely be announced on Jan. 23, a day before it announces detailed fourth-quarter earnings results, said the person, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter and declined to be identified.
- 14 Jan 2017:Rosenblatt Securities's Jun Zhang today reiterates a Buy rating on shares of Qualcomm, and raises his price target to $75 from $70, writing that the company's set to ride the wave of smartphone sales by Chinese phone makers Vive and Oppo.
- 12 Jan 2017:Corephotonics, an Israeli maker of dual camera technologies for smartphones, said on Wednesday it raised $15 million in a funding round that included Samsung Ventures, iPhone manufacturer Foxconn and chipmaker MediaTek.
- HTC U Ultra / Ocean Note to have the same 12 MP camera found inside the Google Pixel (Jan 10) - PhoneArenaHTC is officially hosting a press event later this week, on January 12, when it's likely going to announce (at least) two new smartphones.
- 10 Jan 2017:
- 7 Jan 2017:Apple is planning to open its first retail store in South Korea, moving onto the home turf of smartphone rival Samsung Electronics.
- 6 Jan 2017:The Galaxy Note 8 should be released in the second half of 2017, following the Galaxy S8 series that's set to be released in April.
- The increased consumer interest in smartphones, according to Accenture, is based largely on the Chinese market. Nearly three out of four Chinese consumers said they would buy new smartphones in 2017, up from 61% in 2016.
- 5 Jan 2017:Intel announced a new modem chip for smartphones using faster 5G technologies as it seeks to outpace rival Qualcomm in the battle for next generation mobile gear.
- 4 Jan 2017:
- SoftBank has lined up chip maker Qualcomm as an investor in the Japanese firm's new technology fund, helping the massive portfolio reach its $100 billion goal, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 3 Jan 2017:More than 177,000 people attended CES last year, making CES 2016 a record-breaking year.
- Apple will trim production of its iPhone family around 10% on the year in the first quarter of 2017, according to calculations by The Nikkei based on data from suppliers.
- 30 Dec 2016:The success of the new Apple AirPods must have got the attention of the company's biggest rival in the smartphone industry and according to the latest rumor, Samsung is preparing a competitor that will most likely be launched with the announcement of the Galaxy S8.
- Two shops this morning offer data on China's mobile market, Cowen and Bernstein, with slightly different implications as far as the health of wireless chip vendor Qualcomm's business.
- 29 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is expected to rack up a handsome profit of almost KRW9 trillion over the fourth quarter, demonstrating a major turnaround from the disappointing third quarter performance due to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle.
- 26 Dec 2016:Canon Tokki, surrounded by rice fields in the city of Mitsuke in Niigata prefecture, has a near monopoly on the machines capable of making screens with organic light-emitting diodes, which enable sharp, vibrant displays that use less energy.
- 23 Dec 2016:Nokia said on Wednesday it had filed a number of lawsuits against Apple for violating 32 technology patents, striking back at the iPhone maker's legal action targeting the one-time cellphone industry leader a day earlier.
- 21 Dec 2016:Apple Inc. is discussing with the Indian government the possibility of manufacturing its products in the country, according to two senior government officials, as the company seeks to expand its sales and presence in the South Asian nation.
- 20 Dec 2016:Qualcomm Technologies, Ericsson and SK Telecom have announced plans to conduct interoperability testing and over-the-air field trials based on 5G New Radio (NR) standards being developed based on specifications in 3GPP.
- Samsung was Apple's main supplier for the iPhones from the very beginning, making the A-series processors and supplying both NAND flash and DRAM memory chips.
- 13 Dec 2016:Apple has held talks to invest up to $1 billion in a new $100 billion tech fund being set up by Japan's SoftBank Group, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Monday.
- Advantest and W2BI to Exhibit Advanced Test Solutions at Mobile World Congress
- Telecom companies' preference for NFV drives enterprise vCPE market forward
- G.fast IOP, a first in a Carrier Network environment; Swisscom makes it a reality that meets their network requirements
- GMobi acquires leading performance mobile advertising platform MassiveImpact
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
HTC's latest development
Asustek's smartphone shipments may have been disappointing in 2016, but the vendor is seeking a rebound in 2017.
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...