- 14 Nov 2014:BlackBerry and Samsung partner to provide end-to-end security for Android (Nov 13) - Company releaseThe companies are looking to offer an integrated, end-to-end secure solution that brings together BES12, a cross-platform EMM solution by BlackBerry with Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets that are embedded with Samsung KNOX.
- 13 Nov 2014:A California judge has ruled that a former iPhone user can sue Apple for damages after she found that she would no longer be able to receive Apple iMessage text messages once she switched from an iPhone 4 to an Android smartphone.
- 11 Nov 2014:Samsung Electronics has announced plans to spend up to $3bn (£1.8bn) to create a new smartphone factory in Vietnam.
- 10 Nov 2014:
- 8 Nov 2014:Worldwide smartphone shipments increase 25.2% in 3Q14 with heightened competition and growth beyond Samsung and Apple, Says IDC (Oct 29) - IDCNew smartphone releases and an increased emphasis on emerging markets drove global smartphone shipments above 300 million units for the second consecutive quarter.
- Korean manufacturers' smartphone exports dropped by 35.5% year-on-year in October 2014 due to the release of Apple's iPhone 6 and a rapid sales decline in China and the ASEAN region.
- The new smartphone, set to debut on November 11, drops the Nokia logo and marks a new chapter for the Lumia family of mobile devices.
- 6 Nov 2014:Lenovo Group On Thursday said its net profit for the quarter through September rose 19% on growing sales of both personal computers and smartphones.
- 5 Nov 2014:Samsung was replaced by the iPhone maker as No. 1 in China's mobile sector this year, according to the China Brand Research Center's 2014 China Brand Power Index ranking report released Tuesday.
- "This announcement reinforces our commitment to building the ZTE brand in the United States...," said ZTE USA's CEO Lixin Cheng.
- In a sign that LG and Google are tightening their Android alliance, the two companies have announced a deal to enter into a "long-term patent cross-licensing agreement" covering both existing and future products.
- 4 Nov 2014:China's Xiaomi Technology said on Tuesday it would spend US$1 billion to expand its internet TV content as the world's third largest smartphone maker ramps up its push into the living room, and a market estimated to be worth US$3 billion.
- 3 Nov 2014:Sony is to pull back significantly from the Chinese mobile market and appoint a new executive to head its mobile division as the company steps up efforts to fix its struggling smartphone business.
- 31 Oct 2014:Samsung Electronics on Thursday said it would revamp its smartphone line-up to take on competitors in the rapidly growing mid-to-low range segment, after third-quarter earnings set it on course for its worst year since 2011.
- The precipitous deterioration of Samsung Electronics Co.'s mobile-phone business raises the question: Will Chinese companies soon rule the smartphone market?
- 29 Oct 2014:
- 23 Oct 2014:Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand name from new devices, less than a year after acquiring the Finnish mobile firm.
- 21 Oct 2014:Tim Cook not worried about China slowdown, says Apple is "investing like crazy" (Oct 21) - VenturebeatIn an otherwise gonzo quarter for Apple, there were two notable soft spots. One was declining iPad sales, which was not a surprise.
- 30 Sep 2014:The iPhone 6 will be sold in China from Oct 17, after rigorous regulator scrutiny led to Apple reassuring the Chinese government that the smartphones did not have security "backdoors" through which US agencies can access users' data.
- 18 Sep 2014:
- 17 Sep 2014:Panasonic has unveiled a hybrid smartphone-camera at the Photokina trade show in Cologne.
- 16 Sep 2014:
- 9 Sep 2014:Marc Newson has become the latest world-renowned designer to join Apple, it has been announced. Newson, who has designed watches in the past, has worked on designs with Apple recently, prompting further speculation the company is planning to move into new product areas.
- Apple is hosting an event that starts at 10 a.m. Pacific time, 1 p.m Eastern, on Tuesday Sept. 9 at the Flint Performing Arts Center in Cupertino, Calif., Apple's hometown.
- 14 Aug 2014:Big data analytics and data from wearable computing offer potential to improve monitoring and treatment of Parkinson's disease. Intel-built big data analytics platform combines hardware and software technologies to provide researchers with a way to more accurately measure progression of disease symptoms.
- 25 Jul 2014:BlackBerry is in talks with rival technology groups about partnerships to compete with the newly forged alliance between Apple and IBM.
- Baidu will focus on investing and marketing its mobile applications in the second half to compete with services backed by Tencent after posting earnings that beat analyst estimates.
- 22 Jul 2014:In China, more people now access the internet from a mobile device than a PC (July 20) - The Next WebChina Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC) shows that the percentage of Chinese users accessing the Internet via mobile grew to 83.4% as of June 2014, for the first time surpassing the percentage of users who access the internet via PCs (80.9%).
- 21 Jul 2014:Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei has reported a 19% jump in sales to 135.8bn yuan (US$21.9bn) for the first six months of 2014.
- 15 Jul 2014:
- KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the issues may be related to the new in-cell touch panels, which struggle with touch sensitivity on larger screens.
- 4 Jul 2014:Online bookseller Amazon is not keen on making changes to the operation of freemium in-app charging software sold through its application stores, according to reports.
- 3 Jul 2014:
- Qualcomm has announced that it has taken two major steps to enable the industry to deliver multi-gigabit wireless with 60 GHz technology for mobile, computing and networking devices.
- 24 Jun 2014:
- 23 Jun 2014:Rumor: Foxconn to hire 100,000 workers for July 'iPhone 6' production, Pegatron gets 30% of orders (June 23) - Apple InsiderA report on Monday claims Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn will supposedly hire some 100,000 people in a ramp up toward July production of the next-generation iPhone, while secondary supplier Pegatron is also preparing to increase recruitment efforts after netting a 30% share of orders.
- The dueling operating systems from Apple Inc. and Google Inc. already run on 95 percent of the smartphones sold around the world. Now the two giants are about to go head to head in the next frontier of mobile computing: the automobile.
- Apple reportedly enlists Kobe and other star athletes to test iWatch fitness tech (June 23) - Tech RadarApple has called upon superstar athletes to put the rumoured iWatch through its paces in professional training environments, a report has claimed.
- 2015 Taipei international cycle show: HOLUX exhibits wearable Heart-Rate Smartwatch WRL-8100
- Last Mile to Conquer: Tatung's Bendable Optical Cables Cleverly Resolve Problems Related to Optical Fiber Establishment
- Wilocity showcase WiGig solution for mobile phone
- Conexant debuts AudioSmart software for PCs, tablets
- Edge-Core Networks to showcase next generation cloud networking service with advanced could-based wired and wireless solutions at Computex 2014
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digitimes Research: Samsung to adopt MediaTek APs for smartphones
- Digitimes Research: Smartphone AP suppliers looking to offload inventory to tablet market
- Commentary: Why smart thermostats have a limited market in China
- Digitimes Research: Intel simplifies Atom product lines for mobile devices
- Digitimes Research: LG focuses on mid-range/entry-level smartphones and smartwatches at MWC 2015
HTC has launched its flagship smartphone M8
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
The development of network functions virtualization (NFV) solutions will become mature in 2015 and...
Despite years of enthusiasm for wireless charging technology, the market for wireless charging applications...
Karbonn, the second-largest India-based handset vendor, is looking into in-house production. Digitimes...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...