- 22 Mar 2016:The US will temporarily lift trade sanctions against ZTE. The Chinese communications company was hit with sanctions earlier this month after the US said the company improperly exported US technology to Iran.
- 17 Mar 2016:Globalfoundries has announced new advanced radio-frequency (RF) silicon solutions, further expanding the portfolio of Silicon Germanium (SiGe) power amplifier (PA) technologies designed to enable performance-optimized cellular and Wi-Fi solutions in increasingly sophisticated mobile devices and hardware.
- 11 Mar 2016:Orange and MediaTek announce collaboration to speed adoption of cellular connectivity for connected objects (Feb 22) - Company releaseMediaTek and Orange have announced a new collaboration to market IoT tailored offerings embedding ready-to-use cellular connectivity to address the growing industrial demand for connected objects. The agreement will address professional developers and manufacturers of IoT devices including consumer electronics products.
- 9 Mar 2016:US chipmakers will feel the sting of the US government's decision to restrict technology exports to China's ZTE. Qualcomm and Intel are both suppliers to ZTE, as is Singapore's Broadcom.
- 2 Mar 2016:The news follows Cisco's Tuesday announcement of the acquisition of Cliqr Technologies for about $260 million to enhance offerings in cloud computing management software and services. Leaba's website doesn't elaborate on what its technology provides, but Ynet said it allowed for more efficient and intelligent routing of Internet traffic.
- 23 Feb 2016:Justice Department calls Apple's refusal to unlock iPhone a 'marketing strategy' (Feb 19) - New York TimesThe Justice Department, frustrated by its inability to unlock the iPhone of one of the attackers in the San Bernardino killings, demanded on Friday that a judge immediately order Apple to give it the technical tools to get inside the phone.
- 22 Feb 2016:Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics unveiled their latest smartphones at the Mobile World Congress industry show in Barcelona on Sunday, seeking to buck the slowdown in industry growth.
- The emergence of the fifth-generation (5G) mobile network is currently the big challenge, and the deepest mystery, in the technology world.
- NTT DOCOMO and MediaTek forge partnership for 5G technology development and trials (Feb 22) - Company releaseNTT DOCOMO and MediaTek have announced a joint effort to drive 5G technology development.
- 19 Feb 2016:
- 5G cellular is getting closer to becoming a reality as carriers such as AT&T, Verizon, and South Korea's KT prepare 5G tests.
- 18 Feb 2016:
- Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM says (Feb 16) - VenturebeatThat supercomputer in your pocket will soon make Sony's and Microsoft's latest home gaming consoles look old and crusty.
- 17 Feb 2016:
- 16 Feb 2016:Google's balloon-powered high-speed internet service known as "Project Loon" has started testing in Sri Lanka ahead of a planned joint venture with the government.
- 29 Jan 2016:Apple has issued a voluntary recall of millions of its two-prong AC wall plugs after incidents of them breaking and causing electric shocks.
- 27 Jan 2016:One of China's largest internet companies is intensifying its efforts to crack the African market with a bid to disrupt Facebook's WhatsApp with a rival messenging service.
- 26 Jan 2016:Sprint has axed at least 2,500 jobs across six customer care centers and its Kansas headquarters as part of its plan to cut $2.5 billion in costs, a company spokeswoman said on Monday.
- 19 Jan 2016:China's economy grew by 6.9% in 2015, compared with 7.3% a year earlier, marking its slowest growth in a quarter of a century.
- 12 Jan 2016:Foxconn plans to double smartphone capacity at Andhra Pradesh facility, build (Jan 12) - The Economic TimesFoxconn plans to take total production capacity to 2.5 million smartphones a month by year-end 2016 and add 1,000 people to its existing workforce at the India plant.
- 11 Jan 2016:China's economic slowdown, coupled with turbulence in the stock market, is prompting investors to take a second look at China's high startup valuations. Startups such as Xiaomi, which raised vast sums on China's mobile Internet boom, are now facing growing pressure to live up to expectations.
- 8 Jan 2016:Samsung Electronics says its operating profit is likely to rise 15% in the fourth quarter from a year ago, missing market expectations.
- South Korea's No. 2 mobile carrier KT has suspended selling China-based Xiaomi's smartphone, industry sources said Wednesday, only two days after it started sales.
- Qualcomm Chief Executive Steve Mollenkopf has reason to be glad 2015 is over, after a series of disruptions and disappointments for the big chip maker. At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, he launched a fusillade of Snapdragon processors designed to ensure a better year to come by taking that brand beyond its stronghold in smartphones.
- Apple COO says company takes heat on child labor because it goes out looking for it (Jan 7) - 9to5Mac.comApple COO Jeff Williams says that the reason Apple has come under attack for the use of child labor in its supply chain is that the company actively goes out looking for it. Other companies, he claims, simply keep their heads down.
- 30 Dec 2015:Chinese tech website MyDrivers.com posted a picture that supposedly includes telecom giant China Mobile's presentation of its plans for 2016. On the right hand column of the presentation labeled "April or later," one product reads "future Apple iPhone 7C."
- 27 Dec 2015:Just over a week after Samsung paid Apple more than $548 million for infringing the patents and designs of the iPhone, Apple has asked a US court to force its biggest smartphone rival to cough up even more.
- Fujitsu is planning to spin off its mobile phone handset business, as well as the PC operations, next spring so that it can respond swiftly to changes in market trends and boost profitability.
- 23 Dec 2015:Samsung Securities said on Dec. 13 that it trimmed Samsung Electronics' operating profit forecast for the fourth quarter by KRW300 trillion (US$253.91 million) to KRW6.8 trillion from the previous KRW7.1 trillion (US$6.01 billion) estimate due to sluggish sales in its component business.
- 22 Dec 2015:The video shows the phone from a few angles with a look at the innovative display as well as a lack of a physical home button and a main camera that doesn't have a flash LED.
- Apple cut prices of its latest iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus by up to 16% just two months after their launch in India.
- 21 Dec 2015:
- More and more analysts think the iPhone is about to go into decline for the first time ever (Dec 16) - Business Insider2015 might have been the year of "peak iPhone."
- 15 Dec 2015:Europe's competition regulator has accused Qualcomm of predatory pricing and paying a major handset maker to use its 4G baseband chips exclusively.
- 10 Dec 2015:
- Samsung has established new organizations that target and pursue new business initiatives to prepare for future growth. The company has formed an automotive components team, which will initially focus on building its competencies in infotainment and autonomous driving vehicles.
- 1 Dec 2015:The new head of Samsung Electronics' phone business helped develop its mobile payment and security platforms, exemplifying Vice Chairman Lee Jae Yong's focus on software innovations as a way to gain distance from rival devices.
- Samsung Group vice Chairman Lee Jae Yong faces his first real test as the conglomerate's de facto leader, and it doesn't look good for executives at the mobile-phone division.
- 25 Nov 2015:Google's revamp of its Android One operating system for smartphones does not appear to have helped the search giant much, if shipment data from market research firm Cybex Exim Solutions is anything to go by.
- 12 Nov 2015:Samsung Electronics plans to mass-produce a new processor that will be used in the company's next mobile devices, according to industry officials.
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Next stage of visionary mobile technology development: Virtual reality and IoT
- NVIDIA Pascal taking us one step closer to a VR world
- Introduction of LYNwave smart antenna solution
- GSMA announces further details for Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2016
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
HTC's latest development
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Buoyed by its ZenFone series smartphones, Asustek Computer has captured a portion of the global smartphone...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...