- 3 Jul 2014:
- Qualcomm has announced that it has taken two major steps to enable the industry to deliver multi-gigabit wireless with 60 GHz technology for mobile, computing and networking devices.
- 24 Jun 2014:
- 23 Jun 2014:Rumor: Foxconn to hire 100,000 workers for July 'iPhone 6' production, Pegatron gets 30% of orders (June 23) - Apple InsiderA report on Monday claims Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn will supposedly hire some 100,000 people in a ramp up toward July production of the next-generation iPhone, while secondary supplier Pegatron is also preparing to increase recruitment efforts after netting a 30% share of orders.
- The dueling operating systems from Apple Inc. and Google Inc. already run on 95 percent of the smartphones sold around the world. Now the two giants are about to go head to head in the next frontier of mobile computing: the automobile.
- Apple reportedly enlists Kobe and other star athletes to test iWatch fitness tech (June 23) - Tech RadarApple has called upon superstar athletes to put the rumoured iWatch through its paces in professional training environments, a report has claimed.
- 20 Jun 2014:Apple is planning multiple versions of its smartwatch, likely to be launched in the fall, people familiar with the matter said, as the company tries to counter wearable devices from rivals such as Google and Samsung Electronics.
- 9 Jun 2014:Amazon has launched a new video showing people being amazed at a something that appear to have a unique operation.
- 3 Jun 2014:Broadcom has announced it is exploring strategic alternatives for its cellular baseband business, including a potential sale or wind-down.
- 30 May 2014:A Chinese manufacturer of wireless charging coils has reportedly sent them to Apple for certification for the much-rumored smartwatch.
- 26 May 2014:Following up on a jury verdict, Apple has asked a court in California to order Samsung Electronics to stop using features that were found to infringe three of its patents.
- 13 May 2014:
- 6 May 2014:Samsung's new Tab S tablets will feature 2560?1600 AMOLED displays, fingerprint sensors - leak (May 5) - Andorid AuthoritySamsung is going to launch a brand new line of Android tablets soon, according to a credible report. Dubbed Galaxy Tab S, these devices will feature powerful specifications, fingerprint sensors, and high definition AMOLED displays.
- 29 Apr 2014:Samsung Electronics has reported a 4% fall in sales at its mobile phone unit.
- 23 Apr 2014:
- 21 Apr 2014:When Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's devices and services business closes, the software giant plans to rename Nokia Oyj to Microsoft Mobile Oy, according to a letter sent to suppliers.
- 18 Apr 2014:
- HTC hired the former head of marketing at Samsung Electronics' US mobile phone business as an adviser to chairman Cher Wang, according to two people familiar with the matter.
- 17 Apr 2014:Faulty charger forces Nokia to halt Lumia 2520 tablet sales for electric shock risk (April 17) - PC WorldNokia has temporarily halted sales of the Lumia 2520 in seven countries, because the tablet's AC-300 charger can give users an electric shock.
- 14 Apr 2014:Apple has only "60 days left to either come up with [an iWatch] or they will disappear," analyst Trip Chowdhry told CNBC last month. "It will become a zombie, if they don't come up with an iWatch."
- Samsung brought in heavyweight champion Google to fight in its corner in its latest patent bout with Apple in the US on Friday.
- Huawei has announced the appointment of Xu Wenwei (William Xu) as chief strategy marketing officer, Ding Yun (Ryan Ding) as president of Products & Solutions, Zou Zhilei as vice president of the Carrier Business Group and Yan Lida as vice president of the Enterprise Business Group.
- Google could come to Samsung Electronics' defense against Apple during their new patent trial that started Friday.
- 8 Apr 2014:Nokia has won approval from Chinese competition authorities to sell its mobile phone business to Microsoft without having to change its main technology patent practices, it said on Tuesday.
- 28 Mar 2014:One of the most lucrative software franchises in history, Microsoft Office, has finally come to the most influential computing device of the last few years, the iPad.
- 25 Mar 2014:Summary: Google is able to offer something with Android Wear that no other player, big like Apple or small like Pebble, can offer. And that's why it'll win...
- 21 Mar 2014:When Google announced its Project Glass for wearable augmented reality eyewear, there were mixed reactions all around. From disrupting privacy, to even being used in spying, there were numerous concerns and interesting myths that began floating. The truth of the times, both ancient and modern, is anything said repeatedly garners enough potential to actually make it sound like the truth.
- 14 Mar 2014:Two phone makers in India will be spared the usual licensing fee for adopting Windows Phone, says The Times of India.
- 7 Mar 2014:OS X 10.9.2 was just released last week, but Apple has already begun testing for version 10.9.3, and the update will apparently come with some goodies for users of 4K displays. According to a report by 9to5Mac, the new update enables HiDPI "Retina" scaling on 4K displays that didn't offer the option in previous OS X versions.
- Samsung Electronics defeated Apple's bid for a court order barring US sales of some Samsung smartphones that were found to infringe Apple patents in a ruling that may affect a trial over current products.
- 4 Mar 2014:Broadcom collaborates with Datang Mobile to develop 4G LTE small cell solution (February 25) - Company releaseBroadcom has announced that Datang Mobile, a core subsidiary of the Datang Telecom Technology and Industry Group, has selected Broadcom's dual-mode TD-SCDMA/TD-LTE system-on-chip (SoC) to develop a new family of enterprise and residential small cell solutions.
- 27 Feb 2014:Project Ara: Google wants to turn mobile devices into pieces of clever Lego (Feb 27) - SiliconRepublicDespite ditching Motorola, Google's plans to disrupt the smartphone world continue apace and the internet giant is intent on converting phones from closed devices to modular devices whose components can be stuck together to achieve different outcomes.
- The companies are already selling lots of phones. But most of those sales are coming in China, and both companies admit they have work cut out for them elsewhere, including in the United States.
- 25 Feb 2014:Hillcrest Labs brings advanced motion control to Oppo mobile devices (February 24) - Company releaseHillcrest Labs has announced that Oppo, a China-based CE manufacturer and smartphone OEM, is using Hillcrest's patented Freespace software to provide advanced motion-based functionality on their latest smartphones.
- 24 Feb 2014:Qualcomm has leaped ahead of Apple in 64-bit mobile chip development with its first eight-core Snapdragon 615 chip for mobile devices, which has integrated LTE and 4K video rendering capabilities.
- Sony's flagships have struggled to find success, but that hasn't stopped the company from quickly iterating its smartphone line to keep up with its rivals.
- Chinese mobile technology leader Huawei unveiled the latest additions to its stable Sunday in Barcelona, ahead of the 2014 World Mobile Congress, including its "hybrid" fitness band/smart watch.
- LG Electronics said it will launch a computerized wristwatch later this year, entering a nascent market where Samsung Electronics, Sony and smaller companies such as Pebble are already jostling for dominance.
- 21 Feb 2014:Google has unveiled a prototype smartphone with "customised hardware and software" that enables it to create 3D maps of a user's surroundings.
- A smartwatch prototype based on Qualcomm's Toq device will be previewed to carriers at the Mobile World Congress trade show, with no plans to unveil the device publicly, the person said, asking not to be identified because the details haven't been released.
- Last Mile to Conquer: Tatung's Bendable Optical Cables Cleverly Resolve Problems Related to Optical Fiber Establishment
- Wilocity showcase WiGig solution for mobile phone
- Conexant debuts AudioSmart software for PCs, tablets
- Edge-Core Networks to showcase next generation cloud networking service with advanced could-based wired and wireless solutions at Computex 2014
- u-blox launches TOBY-L2, the fastest 4G LTE modules with 3G, 2G fallback in the world
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, white-box players looking to take over 10-15 million feature phone demand from Microsoft Mobile
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Digitimes Research: Enterprise segment to benefit, but PC segment to suffer from HP spin-off
- Digitimes Research: China 4G smartphone demand fails to surge; CoolPad, Lenovo, Xiaomi unlikely to achieve 2014 targets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to release new inexpensive notebook solution; unlikely to receive full support from vendors
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
HTC has launched its flagship smartphone M8
Apple has been pushing iPhone 6 Plus manufacturing in order to satisfy strong demand from the Asia Pacific region.
Apple has announced its new iPhone 6, 6 Plus and Apple Watch on September 9
Despite years of enthusiasm for wireless charging technology, the market for wireless charging applications...
Karbonn, the second-largest India-based handset vendor, is looking into in-house production. Digitimes...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
As India's handset market is continuing to grow, local vendors including Lava, Spice, Intex and GI...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...