- 15 May 2015:Finland's Nokia is planning to cut up to 70 jobs from its technologies unit in Finland, its spokeswoman said on Wednesday.
- 7 May 2015:Siemens AG, Europe's largest engineering company, will cut another 4,500 jobs after second-quarter profit fell more than analysts estimated, burdened by the declining oil price.
- 4 May 2015:The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge have recently been plagued by serious memory problems, as poor memory management is leading to massive slowdowns and random app crashes, including force closes.
- 29 Apr 2015:Qualcomm has announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, is powering LG's latest flagship smartphone, the LG G4. The new smartphone is the first to feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor with X10 LTE.
- In a year that's seen Panasonic giving up on plasma TVs and consumer mobile phones, the Japanese company has finally returned to profit.
- 28 Apr 2015:Lenovo and Acer have both unveiled smartphones with much larger than normal batteries.
- Microsoft has lost the first round in a patent battle that could see its handsets banned from import into the US.
- 21 Apr 2015:
- 16 Apr 2015:Singapore's Flextronics International is in advanced talks to buy part of the Chinese business of Alcatel-Lucent, the French telecoms firm currently being taken over by Nokia, two people told Reuters.
- 15 Apr 2015:Nokia says it has agreed to buy smaller French rival Alcatel-Lucent in a 15.6 billion euro takeover deal.
- 13 Apr 2015:Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi plans to assemble its products in Indonesia this year in a bid to boost the percentage of local content ahead of the government's "made in Indonesia" plan that will impose a mandatory 40-percent local content requirement for 4G handsets.
- Samsung Electronics' mobile chief warned on Thursday of limited supplies of its new curved-screen smartphones because of challenges in manufacturing the screens.
- 8 Apr 2015:Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi has decided to sell devices through a leading electronics retail chain in India, part of its effort to move away from online-only sales and boost growth in the world's third-largest smartphone market.
- 7 Apr 2015:Researchers at Stanford University have developed a new battery that can be recharged in about a minute and is safer than the lithium ion cells used in everything from smartwatches to passenger jets.
- The guidance is slightly better than an average 35% decline forecast by a Dow Jones survey of eight analysts.
- 29 Mar 2015:Chip investors were handed a buying opportunity last week, as the group fell off a cliff on signs that the rising US dollar is crimping demand. But there is nothing fundamentally wrong with their industry.
- 20 Mar 2015:Gianfranco Lanci has been named corporate president of Lenovo effective April 1.
- 11 Mar 2015:
- HP acquires Aruba Networks: Key strategic move for HP's unified access solution, says IDC (Mar 10) - IDCThis is the largest acquisition that HP has made since it acquired Autonomy for nearly US$12 billion in 2011. Aruba Networks is expected to be a part of the new HP Enterprise Company by October this year.
- 26 Feb 2015:Cisco, Apple, McAfee and Citrix have all been dropped from China's official list of approved products. The change means the companies' products are no longer on a list used by government departments to equip offices and data centres.
- 25 Feb 2015:Qualcomm Technologies has announced the Snapdragon 620, 618, 425 and 415 processors, supporting a wide range of mobile devices with high-end features - at a broader range of price points.
- 24 Feb 2015:Sony has said it will spin off its video-and-audio business into a separate company as part of a three-year plan to return to profit.
- The new owner of Pantech is set to be announced soon, industry sources said Monday, with a US asset management firm highly likely to win the bid through a private contract.
- 13 Feb 2015:Shares of all three Chinese telecommunications carriers rose on Thursday following speculation on social media of consolidation in the sector that would see China Telecom and China Unicom merge.
- 10 Feb 2015:The fine is the largest in China's corporate history and will require the firm to lower royalty rates on patents used in China's mobile phone market.
- 7 Feb 2015:Motorola Solutions is what is left of Motorola, the wireless-communications pioneer which has been dismantled in recent years.
- 6 Feb 2015:Twitter CEO Dick Costolo has confirmed that Twitter has signed a firehose deal with Google, which will bring tweets back into Google searches, more eyeballs to those tweets - and hopefully more clicks onto pages where Twitter can subsequently monetise that activity.
- Twitter's closely watched user growth nearly ground to a halt in the fourth quarter, a continued sore point for the company even as revenue keeps surging.
- 5 Feb 2015:Samsung Electronics has appointed a new smartphone marketing chief, less than a month before the expected unveiling of its next flagship Galaxy S handset.
- 28 Jan 2015:Sony plans to cut around 1,000 additional jobs in its struggling smartphone division as it tries to bring its electronics business back into the black, sources said on Wednesday.
- 27 Jan 2015:Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group, the world's largest contract electronics manufacturer, will cut its massive workforce, the company told Reuters, as the Apple supplier faces declining revenue growth and rising wages in China.
- 25 Jan 2015:The owner of the mobile network Three has confirmed it is in exclusive negotiations to acquire O2 UK from Spanish telco Telefonica.
- 20 Jan 2015:Twitter has acquired Indian startup ZipDial, a Bangalore-based mobile VAS company that came into prominence with its implementation of missed calls for user verification, alerts and other use cases.
- 19 Jan 2015:Among big changes in the works are China Mobile's shift in procurement policy from five-mode smartphones to three-mode models, and big plans among Chinese apps processor vendors to embrace connectivity (WiFi and Bluetooth Low Energy).
- 16 Jan 2015:
- Google is ending sales of its Google Glass eyewear. But the company insists it is still committed to launching the smart glasses as a consumer product, but will stop producing Glass in its present form.
- 15 Jan 2015:BlackBerry and Samsung Electronics have denied reports that they are in talks about Samsung potentially acquiring the Canadian smartphone maker.
- 13 Jan 2015:Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has weathered a crisis over a cyberattack on its Hollywood studio and its controversial comedy "The Interview", but his toughest moment may be just arriving as he prepares a new business revival plan.
- 10 Jan 2015:Although the show is over 40 years old, this year's event, held from January 6 - 9, saw some of the most futuristic products ever, from driverless vehicles to a revolutionary battery which, according to its makers, could let you fully charge a cell phone in minutes.
- 7 Jan 2015:TCL said on Tuesday that it had acquired the rights to the Palm name and would "re-create" a new company based in Silicon Valley.
- Digitimes Research: Sony CIS capacity ramp to affect Taiwan supply chain
- Digitimes Research: AP suppliers adopting different strategies for 4G CA solutions
- Digitimes Research: China tablet AP shipments to ebb nearly 30% on year in 2H15
- Digitimes Research: Smartphone shipments by China vendors grow at moderate pace in 2Q15
- Imagination joins 5G Innovation Centre to drive development of next-generation mobile data networks
- Smart Taiwan Pavilion at MWC Shanghai: Exploring innovative Taiwan 4G mobile applications
- A leading Taiwan IC fabless crafts versatile RF technology: Interview with Peter Chen, product marketing manager of AMICCOM
- Jorjin launch SimpleLink module solutions for Internet of Everything
- AZUL Design provides integrated services for UI/UX and program design in Asia Pacific
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
HTC has launched its flagship smartphone M8
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
Computex has evolved into one of the biggest and most important ICT trade shows in the world since...
Although the company has not been operating in the gaming notebook industry for long, Gigabyte Technology...
The Cortex-A72 processor is ARM's highest-performance and most advanced processor. Based on the ARMv8-A...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...