- 4 Dec 2014:Intel said it would invest up to US$1.6 billion over the next 15 years in its chip plant in Chengdu, China, as the company continues to expand its operations in the country.
- 2 Dec 2014:China UnionPay, the largest issuer of credit and debit cards in China, is said to be promoting its mobile payment service AndroidPay for Android-based smartphone makers and will probably launch the service in the third quarter of 2015, Shanghai's China Business News reports.
- 25 Nov 2014:South Korea's Samsung Electronics has secured a licence to invest US$3 billion to expand its production in northern Vietnam, the Vietnamese government said.
- Xilinx and NXP collaborate to reduce capex and opex costs of wireless infrastructure radios (Nov 19) - Company releaseXilinx and NXP have announced their collaboration to reduce capex and opex costs of wireless infrastructure radios.
- Marvell's ARMADA Mobile PXA1802 5-mode 4G LTE modem is at the core of Meizu's flagship MX4 Pro Premium smartphone, now available for more than one billion of combined subscribers of China Mobile and China Unicom.
- Japan, which once looked like a world leader as it pushed its Home Energy Management System (HEMS) and the smart home standard, is now trying to get her groove back via the Internet of Things.
- 23 Nov 2014:Qualcomm said it is holding "difficult discussions" with Chinese authorities as the world's largest maker of mobile-phone chips tries to resolve an investigation that's hurting the collection of licensing revenue.
- 20 Nov 2014:Apple is planning to push its Beats streaming music service to every iPhone in the new year, according to a report in the Financial Times newspaper.
- Early adopters of Google's latest Android operating system are warning others of problems with the software.
- 19 Nov 2014:Chinese smartphone group Xiaomi is increasing its ownership of internet content by snapping up a $300m stake in Iqiyi, the country's second-largest online video site, from search engine Baidu.
- 18 Nov 2014:
- 16 Nov 2014:At its analyst meeting today in London, Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri detailed where the company's focus will be for the next few years for its Networks unit, the Here mapping subsidiary, and its Technologies business.
- 14 Nov 2014:BlackBerry and Samsung partner to provide end-to-end security for Android (Nov 13) - Company releaseThe companies are looking to offer an integrated, end-to-end secure solution that brings together BES12, a cross-platform EMM solution by BlackBerry with Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets that are embedded with Samsung KNOX.
- 13 Nov 2014:A California judge has ruled that a former iPhone user can sue Apple for damages after she found that she would no longer be able to receive Apple iMessage text messages once she switched from an iPhone 4 to an Android smartphone.
- 11 Nov 2014:Samsung Electronics has announced plans to spend up to $3bn (£1.8bn) to create a new smartphone factory in Vietnam.
- 10 Nov 2014:
- 8 Nov 2014:Worldwide smartphone shipments increase 25.2% in 3Q14 with heightened competition and growth beyond Samsung and Apple, Says IDC (Oct 29) - IDCNew smartphone releases and an increased emphasis on emerging markets drove global smartphone shipments above 300 million units for the second consecutive quarter.
- Korean manufacturers' smartphone exports dropped by 35.5% year-on-year in October 2014 due to the release of Apple's iPhone 6 and a rapid sales decline in China and the ASEAN region.
- The new smartphone, set to debut on November 11, drops the Nokia logo and marks a new chapter for the Lumia family of mobile devices.
- 6 Nov 2014:Lenovo Group On Thursday said its net profit for the quarter through September rose 19% on growing sales of both personal computers and smartphones.
- 5 Nov 2014:Samsung was replaced by the iPhone maker as No. 1 in China's mobile sector this year, according to the China Brand Research Center's 2014 China Brand Power Index ranking report released Tuesday.
- "This announcement reinforces our commitment to building the ZTE brand in the United States...," said ZTE USA's CEO Lixin Cheng.
- In a sign that LG and Google are tightening their Android alliance, the two companies have announced a deal to enter into a "long-term patent cross-licensing agreement" covering both existing and future products.
- 4 Nov 2014:China's Xiaomi Technology said on Tuesday it would spend US$1 billion to expand its internet TV content as the world's third largest smartphone maker ramps up its push into the living room, and a market estimated to be worth US$3 billion.
- 3 Nov 2014:Sony is to pull back significantly from the Chinese mobile market and appoint a new executive to head its mobile division as the company steps up efforts to fix its struggling smartphone business.
- 31 Oct 2014:Samsung Electronics on Thursday said it would revamp its smartphone line-up to take on competitors in the rapidly growing mid-to-low range segment, after third-quarter earnings set it on course for its worst year since 2011.
- The precipitous deterioration of Samsung Electronics Co.'s mobile-phone business raises the question: Will Chinese companies soon rule the smartphone market?
- 29 Oct 2014:
- 23 Oct 2014:Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand name from new devices, less than a year after acquiring the Finnish mobile firm.
- 21 Oct 2014:Tim Cook not worried about China slowdown, says Apple is "investing like crazy" (Oct 21) - VenturebeatIn an otherwise gonzo quarter for Apple, there were two notable soft spots. One was declining iPad sales, which was not a surprise.
- 30 Sep 2014:The iPhone 6 will be sold in China from Oct 17, after rigorous regulator scrutiny led to Apple reassuring the Chinese government that the smartphones did not have security "backdoors" through which US agencies can access users' data.
- 18 Sep 2014:
- 17 Sep 2014:Panasonic has unveiled a hybrid smartphone-camera at the Photokina trade show in Cologne.
- 16 Sep 2014:
- 9 Sep 2014:Marc Newson has become the latest world-renowned designer to join Apple, it has been announced. Newson, who has designed watches in the past, has worked on designs with Apple recently, prompting further speculation the company is planning to move into new product areas.
- Apple is hosting an event that starts at 10 a.m. Pacific time, 1 p.m Eastern, on Tuesday Sept. 9 at the Flint Performing Arts Center in Cupertino, Calif., Apple's hometown.
- 14 Aug 2014:Big data analytics and data from wearable computing offer potential to improve monitoring and treatment of Parkinson's disease. Intel-built big data analytics platform combines hardware and software technologies to provide researchers with a way to more accurately measure progression of disease symptoms.
- 25 Jul 2014:BlackBerry is in talks with rival technology groups about partnerships to compete with the newly forged alliance between Apple and IBM.
- IP-based Communications Build up Smart Factories
- 2015 Taipei international cycle show: HOLUX exhibits wearable Heart-Rate Smartwatch WRL-8100
- Last Mile to Conquer: Tatung's Bendable Optical Cables Cleverly Resolve Problems Related to Optical Fiber Establishment
- Wilocity showcase WiGig solution for mobile phone
- Conexant debuts AudioSmart software for PCs, tablets
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo smartphone shipments reach only 8-9 million units in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments drop over 30% sequentially in 1Q15 as small regional vendors suffer
- Digitimes Research: Samsung to adopt MediaTek APs for smartphones
- Digitimes Research: Smartphone AP suppliers looking to offload inventory to tablet market
HTC has launched its flagship smartphone M8
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
Through intensified cooperation with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and MediaTek,...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
The development of network functions virtualization (NFV) solutions will become mature in 2015 and...
Despite years of enthusiasm for wireless charging technology, the market for wireless charging applications...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...