- 23 Jun 2015:Gigaset, a name normally associated with landline phones, is to enter the smartphone race.
- 18 Jun 2015:Cisco plans to invest $10 billion in China, although its sales in the country are slumping due in part to persistent security concerns surrounding US technology.
- Microsoft on Wednesday announced the departure of former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop as part of a broad restructuring at the company, one that will see its Operating Systems Group and Microsoft Devices Group merge into one unit.
- 16 Jun 2015:BlackBerry is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Android software for the first time, an acknowledgement that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter.
- China's Huawei Technologies expects total shipments of smartphones in southeast Asia to rise 160% to 8 million units in 2015, boosted by strong demand in Myanmar, it said on Thursday.
- 12 Jun 2015:Foxconn has said it is aiming to develop 10-12 facilities in India, including factories and data centers, by 2020, but had given no detail.
- 10 Jun 2015:A new report says the Chinese phone maker is prepping a handset with a humongous 3,840x 2,160-pixel display.
- 9 Jun 2015:
- 8 Jun 2015:Chipmaker Qualcomm has put a chunk of spectrum up for sale in Britain which could appeal to mobile operators grappling with the demand for Internet access.
- 4 Jun 2015:Confirmed: Sony Mobile cuts 1,000 workers in Sweden as handset maker restructures (Jun 1) - TechCrunchSony Mobile is cutting 1,000 jobs in Sweden, as part of a larger restructuring to push the struggling handset maker into profitability.
- 2 Jun 2015:A new low-power, high-speed memory technology on the horizon could replace solid-state drives, hard drives and DRAM in PCs, and bring higher levels of storage capacity to mobile devices and wearables.
- 27 May 2015:Failing to find viable buyers, the debt-ridden South Korean smartphone-maker Pantech has decided to end court receivership.
- 21 May 2015:Huawei and Qualcomm jointly complete CAT11-based 3CC CA+256QAM test, reaching 600 Mbit/s rate - Company releaseHuawei and Qualcomm Technologies, a subsidiary of Qualcomm, have jointly announced the completion of tests using LTE CAT11 terminals.
- 15 May 2015:An increasing number of companies, mainly retailers, are launching low-cost smartphone services in Japan by taking advantage of a regulatory step designed to help users easily switch mobile operators.
- Finland's Nokia is planning to cut up to 70 jobs from its technologies unit in Finland, its spokeswoman said on Wednesday.
- 7 May 2015:Siemens AG, Europe's largest engineering company, will cut another 4,500 jobs after second-quarter profit fell more than analysts estimated, burdened by the declining oil price.
- 4 May 2015:The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge have recently been plagued by serious memory problems, as poor memory management is leading to massive slowdowns and random app crashes, including force closes.
- 29 Apr 2015:Qualcomm has announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, is powering LG's latest flagship smartphone, the LG G4. The new smartphone is the first to feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor with X10 LTE.
- In a year that's seen Panasonic giving up on plasma TVs and consumer mobile phones, the Japanese company has finally returned to profit.
- 28 Apr 2015:Lenovo and Acer have both unveiled smartphones with much larger than normal batteries.
- Microsoft has lost the first round in a patent battle that could see its handsets banned from import into the US.
- 21 Apr 2015:
- 16 Apr 2015:Singapore's Flextronics International is in advanced talks to buy part of the Chinese business of Alcatel-Lucent, the French telecoms firm currently being taken over by Nokia, two people told Reuters.
- 15 Apr 2015:Nokia says it has agreed to buy smaller French rival Alcatel-Lucent in a 15.6 billion euro takeover deal.
- 13 Apr 2015:Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi plans to assemble its products in Indonesia this year in a bid to boost the percentage of local content ahead of the government's "made in Indonesia" plan that will impose a mandatory 40-percent local content requirement for 4G handsets.
- Samsung Electronics' mobile chief warned on Thursday of limited supplies of its new curved-screen smartphones because of challenges in manufacturing the screens.
- 8 Apr 2015:Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi has decided to sell devices through a leading electronics retail chain in India, part of its effort to move away from online-only sales and boost growth in the world's third-largest smartphone market.
- 7 Apr 2015:Researchers at Stanford University have developed a new battery that can be recharged in about a minute and is safer than the lithium ion cells used in everything from smartwatches to passenger jets.
- The guidance is slightly better than an average 35% decline forecast by a Dow Jones survey of eight analysts.
- 29 Mar 2015:Chip investors were handed a buying opportunity last week, as the group fell off a cliff on signs that the rising US dollar is crimping demand. But there is nothing fundamentally wrong with their industry.
- 20 Mar 2015:Gianfranco Lanci has been named corporate president of Lenovo effective April 1.
- 11 Mar 2015:
- HP acquires Aruba Networks: Key strategic move for HP's unified access solution, says IDC (Mar 10) - IDCThis is the largest acquisition that HP has made since it acquired Autonomy for nearly US$12 billion in 2011. Aruba Networks is expected to be a part of the new HP Enterprise Company by October this year.
- 26 Feb 2015:Cisco, Apple, McAfee and Citrix have all been dropped from China's official list of approved products. The change means the companies' products are no longer on a list used by government departments to equip offices and data centres.
- 25 Feb 2015:Qualcomm Technologies has announced the Snapdragon 620, 618, 425 and 415 processors, supporting a wide range of mobile devices with high-end features - at a broader range of price points.
- 24 Feb 2015:Sony has said it will spin off its video-and-audio business into a separate company as part of a three-year plan to return to profit.
- The new owner of Pantech is set to be announced soon, industry sources said Monday, with a US asset management firm highly likely to win the bid through a private contract.
- 13 Feb 2015:Shares of all three Chinese telecommunications carriers rose on Thursday following speculation on social media of consolidation in the sector that would see China Telecom and China Unicom merge.
- 10 Feb 2015:The fine is the largest in China's corporate history and will require the firm to lower royalty rates on patents used in China's mobile phone market.
- 7 Feb 2015:Motorola Solutions is what is left of Motorola, the wireless-communications pioneer which has been dismantled in recent years.
- Good Way Technology's DU 3900 granted the winner of HKEIA Award
- LitePoint integrates flexible PA/FEM testing in one chassis
- 'Smart IoT Testing for Wireless Future' – An enlightenment on IoT testing technologies, innovative applications, and new thinking
- Paving the Way to Flexible, Customer-centric Telco Services with SDN and NFV
- Imagination joins 5G Innovation Centre to drive development of next-generation mobile data networks
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Perforce and Interset Deliver Industry's First Intellectual Property Threat Detection Integrated with Source Code and Content Management
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
HTC has launched its flagship smartphone M8
A portal for information about Taiwan's WiMAX industry.
TD-LTE is the mainstream global choice for 4G asymmetric frequency spectrum networks
Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, hosted from March 2-5 in Barcelona, Spain gathered mobile device vendors worldwide to showcase their latest mobile...
Buoyed by its ZenFone series smartphones, Asustek Computer has captured a portion of the global smartphone...
Notebook vendor Acer aims to ship at least five million smartphones in 2015 and plans to hike the shipments...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
Computex has evolved into one of the biggest and most important ICT trade shows in the world since...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...