- 24 Nov 2015:Tsinghua's ambitions in the memory chip business are well known. It is reportedly targeting an investment in Renesas as a vehicle for China to gain a foothold in the logic business - especially in the automotive and MCU segments.
- 17 Nov 2015:Authorities bust group stealing Win Semiconductors trade secrets (Oct 6) - Focus Taiwan news channelTaiwan's police have busted a group of seven suspects who plotted to steal business secrets from GaAs wafer fab Win Semiconductors and sell them to China.
- 16 Nov 2015:Chairman Zhao Weiguo also told Reuters in an interview that Tsinghua Unigroup was in talks with a US-based company involved in the chip industry. A deal could be finalised as early as the end of this month.
- 5 Nov 2015:Qualcomm said Wednesday that its revenue and profits fell in both the fourth quarter and the year as it struggled to get Chinese customers to pay for licenses.
- 4 Nov 2015:Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou will meet his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Singapore on Saturday - the first ever meeting between leaders of the two sides.
- 27 Oct 2015:This is a huge development for the company's data center business, as its long-term goal is to become a complete provider of data center solutions.
- 22 Oct 2015:
- 21 Oct 2015:Intel to spend at least $3.5 billion converting China plant for memory chips (Oct 20) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Intel's move comes as the chip industry undergoes a wave of consolidation and China steps up efforts to build local technology manufacturing capacity.
- 20 Oct 2015:The two companies could reach a deal as soon as this week.
- 7 Oct 2015:Western Digital and Unisplendour have entered into an agreement under which a subsidiary of Unis will make a US$3.775 billion equity investment in Western Digital.
- 5 Oct 2015:The chairman of China's Tsinghua Unigroup traveled to the United States this week to meet with board members of Micron Technology and try to revive a politically fraught takeover bid of the US chipmaker, people familiar with the matter said.
- 2 Oct 2015:Synaptics, the maker of touch-screen technology used in phones, tablets and computers, rejected an offer from a state-backed Chinese investment group that valued the company at almost US$4 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- 1 Oct 2015:Chinese interest in Synaptics and Western Digital shows Beijing is accelerating efforts to buy the building blocks for a domestic technology industry.
- China's analog chipmaker Montage Technology has offered to buy Pericom Semiconductor in a deal valued at about US$430 million, trumping an offer from Diodes earlier this month.
- 24 Sep 2015:
- 21 Sep 2015:
- 17 Sep 2015:CEC is discussing a bid for Atmel, a maker of chips used in industrial machinery and cars, at about US$8.50 a share and the two sides are negotiating, people with knowledge of the process said.
- A China Railway Group-led consortium and XpressWest Enterprises LLC will form a joint venture to build a high-speed railway linking Las Vegas and Los Angeles, the first Chinese-made bullet-train project in the US.
- 14 Sep 2015:China's decades-long economic boom, based on manufacturing for export, is now going in reverse. With orders in some Chinese manufacturing industries declining, the country is facing factory closures and massive worker layoffs.
- 13 Sep 2015:Growth in China's investment and factory output in August has come in below forecasts, in a further indication that the world's second-largest economy is losing steam.
- 8 Sep 2015:China's imports in August fell 14.3% in yuan-denominated terms from a year ago, while exports fell by 6.1%.
- 4 Sep 2015:Slower growth in China and continuing stock market uncertainty pose a threat to global economic growth, the International Monetary Fund has warned.
- 26 Aug 2015:The People's Bank of China on Tuesday announced cuts to benchmark interest rates, lowering its lending and deposit rates by 0.25 percentage point.
- 24 Aug 2015:Stock markets in London, Paris and Frankfurt have fallen sharply as fears of a Chinese economic slowdown continue to haunt investors.
- 17 Aug 2015:China's surprise devaluation of the yuan couldn't have come at a worse time for some Asian currencies.
- 13 Aug 2015:Taiwan's dollar fell to a five-year low as the central bank eased monetary policy to spur economic growth and China slashed the yuan's fixing by the most on record.
- As China ties fester, senator calls for US to block bid for American chipmaker (Aug 12) - Wall Street JournalChina's efforts to expand its reach into advanced semiconductors in the US drew fire on Capitol Hill as a key senator called on US officials to block a state-controlled firm's effort to buy an American memory chipmaker.
- 12 Aug 2015:China's Central Bank has again cut the guiding rate for the national currency, the yuan, a day after Tuesday's record 1.9% devaluation.
- "To catch up with Qualcomm as soon as possible, we will pour 30 billion yuan, and probably even more, into the R&D of mobile chips in the next few years," Chairman Xu Jinghong was quoted as saying in an interview. A Tsinghua Holdings spokeswoman confirmed Xu's comments to the newspaper.
- 7 Aug 2015:Mainland Chinese shares made solid gains after reports that a government agency and Chinese funds are looking to add billions into the stock market.
- Leadcore Technology and Shanghai Pudong Science & Technology Investment are weighing offers for Marvell Technology's wireless chip unit, which Marvell values at about $1 billion.
- 31 Jul 2015:Taiwan's economy grew at the slowest pace in three years as exports collapsed amid weaker global demand and rising competition from regional rivals.
- Results from Europe's big chipmakers show business conditions have deteriorated quickly in previously healthy markets for auto electronics and industrial components, adding to concerns over the industry's traditional drivers - computers and phones.
- 28 Jul 2015:China has tried to calm investors by reassuring it will implement prudent monetary policy to stabilise markets.
- 23 Jul 2015:China's Tsinghua Holdings is still discussing a potential deal to buy US chipmaker Micron Technology and hopes it could eventually go through, the state-backed investment company's chairman told Reuters on Thursday.
- 22 Jul 2015:Imagination appoints industry veteran to lead its expanding China operations (Jul 22) - Company releaseImagination Technologies has announced the appointment of industry veteran James Liu as general manager for its expanding China operations. Liu brings to Imagination 20+ years of experience in the China electronics design industry.
- 21 Jul 2015:Micron Technology has told China's Tsinghua Unigroup that its US$23 billion acquisition offer is not realistic because US authorities would block the deal due to national security concerns, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 17 Jul 2015:Swatch Group AG will launch its own Internet-enabled smartwatch this summer in the US, China and its Swiss home market, CEO Nick Hayek said Thursday.
- 16 Jul 2015:Tsinghua Unigroup, controlled by China's Tsinghua University, has agreed to invest US$100 million in a mobile operating system start-up founded by Mozilla Corp's former China head, according to a company announcement.
- 15 Jul 2015:The deal, if true, could have broad implications for Micron's technology partner, Intel and NAND-chip competitor SanDisk.
- PEZY and Imagination team up to develop next-generation HPC systems
- Orbotech shares vision for future electronics manufacturing models; leverages rebranding efforts
- Indium Corporation's EZ-Pour Gallium Trichloride simplifies room temperature processes
- Imagination and Testin partner to accelerate time-to-market for app development in Greater China
- CAYIN Enters Video Wall Battle Field with the Launch of SMP-8000
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
China-based Tsinghua Unigroup is currently riding high in the global semiconductor industry with a...
While the product life cycles of analog ICs are getting shorter and shorter, the technical standards...
Notebook vendor Acer aims to ship at least five million smartphones in 2015 and plans to hike the shipments...
The acquisition of Freescale by NXP Semiconductors will make NXP the world's second largest MCU supplier...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...