- 23 Dec 2014:China said to push Qualcomm to lower patent fees for phonemakers (Dec 22) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)China wants Qualcomm to accept lower royalty payments for technology used by domestic smartphone manufacturers, people familiar with the matter said, in a proposal that would hurt the chipmaker's main source of profit.
- China is promoting the yuan as an alternative to the dollar for global trade and finance and the PBOC has signed currency-swap agreements with 28 other central banks to encourage this.
- China's national airline, Air China, is to buy 60 Boeing 737 aircraft in a deal worth more than US$6 billion at list prices.
- 22 Dec 2014:STATS ChipPAC and Chinese firm Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics Technology (JCET) have extended talks on a proposed takeover for a second time.
- 19 Dec 2014:Poor treatment of workers in Chinese factories which make Apple products has been discovered by an undercover BBC Panorama investigation.
- Chinese companies spent almost US$5 billion in five major chip-related takeovers in the past 18 months, data compiled by Bloomberg show, with most deals getting state funding.
- China is planning to purge foreign technology and replace with homegrown suppliers (Dec 18) - BloombergChina is aiming to purge most foreign technology from banks, the military, state-owned enterprises and key government agencies by 2020, stepping up efforts to shift to Chinese suppliers, according to people familiar with the effort.
- 17 Dec 2014:Qualcomm commits to invest US$40 million into several promising Chinese companies (Dec 12) - Company releaseQualcomm and its subsidiaries have committed to invest an aggregate of US$40M into four Chinese companies and the China Walden Venture Investments, L.P. fund, which is primarily focused on investing in semiconductor or semiconductor-related companies with business in China.
- China's factory activity is in contraction, based on a private survey, reinforcing calls for more stimulus.
- 16 Dec 2014:Qualcomm is vulnerable in China, and the company knows it.
- 12 Dec 2014:In India, probably the most important market for Xiaomi after China, Swedish electronics maker Ericsson has alleged that the Chinese company is infringing on eight Ericsson patents.
- 11 Dec 2014:
- 4 Dec 2014:Intel said it would invest up to US$1.6 billion over the next 15 years in its chip plant in Chengdu, China, as the company continues to expand its operations in the country.
- 2 Dec 2014:China UnionPay, the largest issuer of credit and debit cards in China, is said to be promoting its mobile payment service AndroidPay for Android-based smartphone makers and will probably launch the service in the third quarter of 2015, Shanghai's China Business News reports.
- China has been selected as the official Partner Country for CeBIT 2015 - hosted from 16 to 20 March in Hannover.
- 30 Nov 2014:Taiwan's China-friendly ruling party lost a slew of traditional strongholds in local elections on Saturday, triggering the resignation of the island's premier and the cabinet.
- 25 Nov 2014:Marvell's ARMADA Mobile PXA1802 5-mode 4G LTE modem is at the core of Meizu's flagship MX4 Pro Premium smartphone, now available for more than one billion of combined subscribers of China Mobile and China Unicom.
- 18 Nov 2014:Marvell has announced two new 64-bit mobile processors targeting the fast growing global LTE market: a new mobile SoC based on octa-cores for high performance smartphones and tablets and another that uses quad-cores for economy models.
- 13 Nov 2014:Trade negotiators from China and the US have reached a preliminary deal they say could end tariffs on as much as a trillion dollars in annual global sales of high-tech goods, eliminating tariffs as high as 25% on some next-generation semiconductors. The deal requires approval of the World Trade Organization, which could take up the issue as early as December.
- 12 Nov 2014:Intel CEO Brian Krzanich expects new semiconductor partners in China to migrate to the US chipmaker's architecture within a few years and give up on ARM technology more widely used in smartphones and tablets.
- 10 Nov 2014:Regulators have approved a long-awaited plan to connect the Hong Kong and Shanghai stock exchanges.
- The leaders of China and South Korea have reached broad agreement on a bilateral free-trade deal, allowing Korean firms enhanced access to China's huge market and marking a diplomatic victory of sorts for Beijing.
- 8 Nov 2014:Korean manufacturers' smartphone exports dropped by 35.5% year-on-year in October 2014 due to the release of Apple's iPhone 6 and a rapid sales decline in China and the ASEAN region.
- 7 Nov 2014:Social media giant Twitter has said it will open an office in Hong Kong in the first quarter of 2015.
- 5 Nov 2014:Samsung was replaced by the iPhone maker as No. 1 in China's mobile sector this year, according to the China Brand Research Center's 2014 China Brand Power Index ranking report released Tuesday.
- 4 Nov 2014:China's Xiaomi Technology said on Tuesday it would spend US$1 billion to expand its internet TV content as the world's third largest smartphone maker ramps up its push into the living room, and a market estimated to be worth US$3 billion.
- 31 Oct 2014:Microchip Technology missed revenue targets for its second fiscal quarter ending September 30 and said the next quarter will see single-digit declines.
- 30 Sep 2014:The iPhone 6 will be sold in China from Oct 17, after rigorous regulator scrutiny led to Apple reassuring the Chinese government that the smartphones did not have security "backdoors" through which US agencies can access users' data.
- 26 Sep 2014:
- 21 Aug 2014:Amazon has stepped up its presence in China with a strategic partnership with the Shanghai Free Trade Zone (FTZ).
- 28 Jul 2014:China warns US solar anti-dumping duties will damage trade relations (Jul 28) - International Bussiness TimesChina has condemned the US move to impose sky-high anti-dumping duties on solar imports, saying the action would strain the trade relations between the countries further.
- 17 Jun 2014:Foreign investment in China fell in May to its lowest level in 16 months, partly due to slowing growth.
- 4 Jun 2014:
- 3 Jun 2014:
- 28 May 2014:
- 16 Apr 2014:Despite the increase, it is a slowdown from 7.7% growth in the final quarter of last year.
- 7 Mar 2014:At an IBM factory in southern China, more than 1,000 workers have staged a strike to protest the company's plan to transfer employees to the Chinese PC arm, the Lenovo Group.
- 27 Feb 2014:The companies are already selling lots of phones. But most of those sales are coming in China, and both companies admit they have work cut out for them elsewhere, including in the United States.
- 25 Feb 2014:Profits at Sina, owner of China's largest Twitter-like site Weibo, surged in the fourth quarter, boosted by a jump in advertising revenue.
- 20 Feb 2014:Qualcomm is under investigation in China for allegedly overcharging and exploiting its market position, which will see the US chipmaker facing fines of over US$1 billion.
- Armed with strong system integration capabilities, Tatung launches smart green building solutions
- Taiwan ICT manufactures at CeBIT 2015
- Clientron announces PCoIP Zero Client availability for Amazon WorkSpaces
- Gigabyte Secret OC session unlocks 9 World Records
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Sub-US$300 15.6-inch Chromebooks to fuel notebook competition in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: GoPro to further integrate social media and platform services into 2015 products
- Digitimes Research: AMOLED offers competitive wearable displays
- Digitimes Research: Verizon to ship three million own-brand tablets in 2015
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo mobile device shipments to lead Samsung by 9 million units in 2015
The development of network functions virtualization (NFV) solutions will become mature in 2015 and...
The move by Globalfoundries to acquire IBM's semiconductor business unit and to team up with Samsung...
The global wireless charging market is set for an explosive growth in 2015 as wireless charging applications...
NAND flash chip controller maker Phison Electronics has seen its sales grow robustly in 2014. And under...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...