- 23 Feb 2017:Beijing's Tsinghua Unigroup seeks 2018 IPO for chip unit: sources (Feb 23) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaChina's state-backed Tsinghua Unigroup is pushing for an initial public offering of its mobile chip unit, Unigroup Spreadtrum RDA, in 2018, sources told Nikkei Asian Review.
- 8 Feb 2017:"China will find it very tough to buy US high-tech companies and difficult to leverage Chinese joint ventures or wholly-owned enterprises to access key US intellectual property," Andrew Lu wrote in a Jan. 10 report for Smartkarma. "We thus expect more senior Taiwan veterans to join China's semiconductor industry as a second wave of talent moves to China."
- Nexperia is NXP's former Standard Products division which was sold to Chinese financial investors JAC Capital and Wise Road Capital for $2.75 billion last June. The company is a leader in discretes, logic and MOSFETs.
- Samsung SDI, a supplier of batteries to explosion-prone Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, said a "minor fire" broke out at a plant in northern China but was quickly put out.
- 3 Feb 2017:Qualcomm's $39 billion acquisition of NXP, expected to close at the end of this year, could hit a snag, according to a recent report by the Capitol Forum.
- 24 Jan 2017:Xiaomi was little known outside China in 2013, when Hugo Barra left a top job at Alphabet's Google and signed on to make the Chinese smartphone maker a force internationally.
- 23 Jan 2017:China's economy grew by 6.7% in 2016, compared with 6.9% a year earlier, according to official data, marking its slowest growth since 1990.
- 20 Jan 2017:International Data Group, the owner of PCWorld magazine and market researcher IDC, on Thursday said it was being acquired by China Oceanwide Holdings Group and IDG Capital, the investment management firm run by IDG China executive Hugo Shong.
- 18 Jan 2017:China's government has conveyed its concern over Foxconn Technology Group billionaire Terry Gou's plan to expand the Apple assembler's operations in the US after President-elect Donald Trump takes office, people familiar with the matter said.
- 17 Jan 2017:China's push to develop its domestic semiconductor technology threatens to harm US chipmakers and put America's national security at risk, the Obama administration warned in a report that called for greater scrutiny of Chinese industrial policy.
- 14 Jan 2017:Rosenblatt Securities's Jun Zhang today reiterates a Buy rating on shares of Qualcomm, and raises his price target to $75 from $70, writing that the company's set to ride the wave of smartphone sales by Chinese phone makers Vive and Oppo.
- 13 Jan 2017:Two senior China executives defended the country's big bet on its semiconductor industry here a week after a White House report called for international action against practices it called unfair. Executives from fab and capital equipment companies said the China government is not being unfair in the way it supports its still-infant industry.
- 12 Jan 2017:Hard-disk drive maker Seagate Technology said it would cut more than 2,000 jobs as it shuts down its Suzhou factory in China.
- 10 Jan 2017:Ma said he would help US businesses create a million new jobs by using his website to sell to China.
- 3 Jan 2017:The Obama administration is finalizing a study that could lead to restrictions on Chinese investment in the US semiconductor sector.
- 9 Dec 2016:
- 8 Dec 2016:At its Windows Hardware Engineering (WinHEC) conference in Shenzhen, China, Microsoft said Thursday morning that it's partnered with Qualcomm to enable new, low-cost PCs. These are intended to replace Windows tablets built around Intel's Atom, a chip the company's essentially discontinued.
- China's National Silicon Industry Group, a state-backed semiconductor investment fund, is interested in acquiring a majority stake in German silicon-wafer maker Siltronic, the latest potential Chinese takeover that could face political opposition, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 7 Dec 2016:In the latest signal from Washington that it's protecting its semiconductor industry from Beijing, US President Barack Obama on Friday issued an executive order barring a Chinese deal to buy a German semiconductor company's California-based subsidiary, citing national security reasons.
- Eight users have complained to Shanghai's consumer watchdog that their iPhone 6 series handsets spontaneously combusted or exploded. Apple said it had conducted tests on the devices and had found "no cause for concern with these products".
- 29 Nov 2016:Canyon Bridge Capital Partners, a buyout fund that agreed to acquire US-based chipmaker Lattice Semiconductor for $1.3 billion earlier this month, is funded partly by cash originating from China's central government and also has indirect links to its space program, Chinese corporate filings show.
- 24 Nov 2016:China has become the first country to receive more than 1m patent applications in a single year - a record the World Intellectual Property Organisation said reflected "extraordinary" levels of innovation in the world's most populous nation.
- 17 Nov 2016:According to the Korea International Trade Association, South Korea recorded a trade surplus of US$29.8 billion in its trade with China for the first 10 months of this year. The amount fell 24% from a year ago whereas South Korea's total exports showed a negative growth of 12% during the same period. The trade surplus is estimated to reach US$35.7 billion at the end of this year. For reference, South Korea posted its all-time high trade surplus with respect to China, US$62.8 billion, in 2013.
- 15 Nov 2016:Dolby drags Oppo and Vivo to court; demands royalties for unlicensed use of proprietary technology (Nov 11) - FirstpostDolby has dragged Vivo and Oppo to court for illegally selling phones with Dolby technology. The court has ordered the two companies to deposit Rs 32 per infringing device manufactured, imported and sold in escrow while royalty terms are discussed.
- 8 Nov 2016:Sony (China) has signed a binding definitive agreement to transfer to Shen Zhen O-Film Tech all equity interest in its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sony Electronics Huanan, which manufactures camera modules. The sales price is approximately US$95 million, subject to customary post-closing adjustments.
- A Canadian company is suing Sony in a Chinese court for alleged patent infringement, in a dispute that could establish the country as an important new venue for intellectual property cases.
- 4 Nov 2016:Massive government investment in China's semiconductor industry risks distorting the global market for integrated circuits, leading to damaging overcapacity and stifling innovation, US Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker has warned.
- 3 Nov 2016:Smartphone chipmaker Qualcomm, which agreed to buy NXP Semiconductors for about US$38 billion last week, reported a better-than-expected 13.3% rise in quarterly revenue, helped by strong demand, particularly in China.
- 28 Oct 2016:The three new iPhone models to be launched next year are likely to sport glass backs supplied by China's Biel Crystal Manufactory and Lens Technology, an industry source told the Nikkei Asian Review.
- 17 Oct 2016:Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry, also known as Foxconn, and its Japanese subsidiary Sharp might start making next-generation display panels for smartphones in China as early as 2019, sources familiar with the matter said on Saturday.
- 14 Oct 2016:Tokyo Electron and Disco appear to have logged record sales in China in the six months through September.
- 30 Sep 2016:Japan's Toshiba expects to post a bigger first-half profit than it previously forecast, boosted by rising flash memory chip prices and strong chip demand from Chinese smartphone manufacturers.
- 12 Sep 2016:More than half of Chinese infrastructure investments have "destroyed, not generated" economic value as the costs have been larger than the benefits, according to researchers at Oxford university.
- Chipmakers plan to significantly expand capacity in China, with total investment expected to reach US$50 billion in the next five years, more than double what they spent during the preceding five years, according to a Nikkei survey.
- 24 Aug 2016:Lenovo's stature in the mobile market is shaky, having recently experienced a 33% decline in sales-again, thanks to those other rising stars in China. However, it could still bounce back, and is therefore an important win for Microsoft.
- 23 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics is slated to hold a foundry forum in China later this month (August 2016) to attract Chinese fabless firms amid its growing idle foundry lines, industry experts said on Tuesday.
- 22 Aug 2016:China's Tsinghua Unigroup, which has been active in overseas semiconductor investment, is eyeing small and mid-sized South Korean chip firms with specialty solutions, a local report has said.
- 17 Aug 2016:
- 2 Aug 2016:GCS shares under pressure as deal with China's Sanan breaks down (Aug 2) - Focus Taiwan news channelShares of GCS Holding came under pressure Tuesday morning after a planned acquisition of GCS by China-based LED chipmaker Sanan Optoelectronics fell through, dealers said.
- Picowork builds collaborative cloud environment, an essential tool for IoT and Industry 4.0 data communication
- UMC Enters Mass Production for 14nm Customer ICs
- Clientron to present its POS Solution at EuroShop 2017
- Entegris announces higher-purity gas purification system platform with expanded manufacturing in Asia
- Spirox resolved to propose termination of exclusive distributor agreement with Xcerra Corporation
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...