- 7 May 2013:The EU's trade chief will recommend placing punitive import duties on billions of euros of solar panels from China, people close to the matter say, putting up a barrier to protect Europe-based producers but risking upsetting Beijing.
- 6 May 2013:German chipmaker Infineon brightened its gloomy outlook for this year, citing orders from carmakers hoping sales of higher-spec models in China will offset flagging demand in Europe.
- 30 Apr 2013:The European Commission (EC) has begun a countervailing duty (CVD) investigation into imports of glass from China used in solar manufacturing, based on a trade complaint filed by trade group EU ProSun Glass.
- 26 Apr 2013:Motorola Mobility China laying off 800 employees, closing one of last three R$D centers (April 24) - IBTimesMotorola's Mobility Unit in China has confirmed a plan to lay off 800 employees after two months of silence, according to Tencent. The company will make three rounds of cuts at the end of May, July and September.
- 12 Apr 2013:
- 10 Apr 2013:So far the virus has been limited to the east of the country, with infections reported in the Shanghai region, as well as in the provinces of Anhui, Jiangsu and Zhejiang.
- China has posted a surprise trade deficit in March as imports rose more-than-expected on stronger demand for commodities such as copper and oil.
- Data from Chinese semiconductor industry sources identifies Allwinner as, by far, the number one apps processor supplier for Chinese tablets in 2012, followed by Rockchip, ViaTech, Amlogic and Vimicro.
- 3 Apr 2013:A two-week long Chinese media campaign had focused on Apple's repair policies.
- Air pollution is driving expatriates out of Beijing, China, and making it harder for companies to recruit international talent, according to anecdotal accounts from diplomats, senior executives and businesses.
- 27 Mar 2013:Persistent speculation about a pending merger between Chinese fabless chip vendors RDA Microelectroics and Spreadtrum Communications may have some basis in reality, but word is that RDA has its sights set on a higher bidder.
- 26 Mar 2013:"China's smartphone market is now the largest in the world. DigiTimes Research pegged the country as accounting for 189 million of the more than 700 million smartphones shipped last year."
- Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC), for the first time in a long time, has a good story to tell.
- 22 Mar 2013:
- Manufacturing activity in China picked up speed in March, an initial HSBC survey has indicated, adding to hopes of a sustained recovery in its economy.
- 21 Mar 2013:The main subsidiary of Suntech Power, one of the world's largest makers of solar panels, collapsed into bankruptcy in a remarkable reversal for what had been part of a huge China government effort to dominate renewable energy industries.
- 20 Mar 2013:China-based solar-panel makers are set to follow the lead of Suntech as the industry enters a difficult period of consolidation and "adjustment", according to a senior industry executive.
- 19 Mar 2013:
- 18 Mar 2013:The trustee administering US$541 million in bonds from Suntech Power sent the solar company a notice of default yesterday as the deadline to redeem the notes passed, a person familiar with the matter said.
- Suntech Power Holdings said it didn't make a required payment on US$541 million of bonds that matured Friday.
- 15 Mar 2013:
- 14 Mar 2013:Xi Jinping was named China's president Thursday by the country's parliament, one of the final steps in China's once-in-a-decade leadership change.
- China is over-reliant on imported goods for its semiconductor industry, and local chip companies supply only about 10% of its domestic needs as they remain in the development stage despite years of investments.
- 13 Mar 2013:Five Wall Street investment and hedge funds have the most to lose as China's Suntech Power seeks more time to repay US$541 million of convertible debt.
- Korea, China and Japan will hold three days of talks starting on March 26 on forging a trilateral free trade agreement.
- 12 Mar 2013:Solar panel maker Suntech Power Holdings reached an agreement with some of its lenders to defer its obligations on a US$541 million loan due this Friday by two months, providing the company more time to restructure the debt.
- 8 Mar 2013:
- 6 Mar 2013:As of today, March 5, all China-made solar modules and their main components coming into the EU must register with national customs authorities.
- 5 Mar 2013:
- 1 Mar 2013:The European Union threatened to impose tariffs on solar glass from China to curb import competition for EU producers, heightening trade tensions over renewable energy.
- 26 Feb 2013:Growth in the giant China manufacturing sector in February withdrew from the highest point in nearly two years despite a fourth consecutive month of expansion, a private survey showed Monday, as foreign demand remained unsteady.
- 22 Feb 2013:
- 18 Feb 2013:Trading of the Chinese yuan in Taiwan got off to a slow start Wednesday, with many traders preferring to do business in Hong Kong because of the market's greater liquidity.
- 8 Feb 2013:
- 7 Feb 2013:In yet another wrinkle in the solar trade war with China, a consortium of European manufacturers filed an anti-dumping complaint with the European Commission against solar glass from China.
- 6 Feb 2013:For the last four months, Chinese hackers have persistently attacked The New York Times, infiltrating its computer systems and getting passwords for its reporters and other employees.
- 24 Jan 2013:Japan has posted a record high trade deficit for 2012, as exports to Europe and China continued their plunge.
- 15 Jan 2013:Tim Cook, making his second trip to China as Apple's CEO, predicted Friday that the world's most populous country will one day become Apple's number one customer.
- 28 Dec 2012:Fubon Financial, one of the most aggressive Taiwanese financial firms expanding into the Chinese market, said on Thursday it will buy an 80% stake in China's Firstsino Bank for CNY6.45 billion (US$1.03 billion).
- WD tiered portfolio of hard drives helps storage solutions providers address big data
- MSI introduces all new gaming products at CeBIT 2014
- EverFocus showcasing integration at Secutech 2014
- MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING - built to be perfect
- Tatung aggressively expanding in Middle East: Smart energy-saving solutions showcased at Middle East Electricity 2014
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- The developments of the security solutions market in Greater China: Q&A with EverFocus product marketing manager Tony Lin
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone vendors rely on international brands for overseas expansion
- Digitimes Research: Google to get the brunt of dual OS tablets while Microsoft to benefit the most
- Digitimes Research: Cortex-A17 to take over ARM high-end/mid-range 32-bit business
- A win-win situation for Toshiba and OCZ: Q&A with Alex Mei, CMO of OCZ Storage Solutions
- Intel unveils latest Education Tablet and Classmate PC
- AMD offers new 12- and 16-core additions to Opteron 6300 series
- CES 2014: Samsung unveils 12-inch tablet lineups
- CES 2014: HP unveils new 27-inch all-in-one workstation and new Android-based all-in-one PC
- CES 2014: LG unveils new wearable innovations
The security solutions market is an increasingly important market as the IT industry develops and security...
As part of Toshiba, OCZ Storage Solutions is able to leverage Toshiba's NAND and combine it with its...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...