- 19 May 2016:When Taiwan's new president takes the oath of office this week, two vital constituencies-one at home, the other across the strait in mainland China-will be listening hard, but for different things.
- For investors in Taiwan's $841 billion stock market, Tim Cook matters more than Tsai Ing-wen. "Any negative from Tsai can easily be washed out if the iPhone 7 does well," said JPMorgan.
- China's biggest home appliances manufacturer Midea has made an unsolicited takeover bid for German industrial robot maker Kuka.
- 16 May 2016:The investment looks misguided and suggests that Carl Icahn was right to sell all his Apple stock over concerns about the company's prospects in China.
- 11 May 2016:SanDisk announces final regulatory approval for acquisition by Western Digital (May 10) - Company releaseSanDisk has announced that the Ministry of Commerce of China has approved the acquisition of SanDisk by Western Digital.
- 10 May 2016:GSA announces appointment of Leo Li as chairman of the GSA board of directors (May 9) - Company releaseThe GSA Board chairman is a coveted position throughout the industry reserved for the most innovative leaders who represent the semiconductor industry's most active global regions. Dr. Li will be the first chairman to serve from mainland China.
- 9 May 2016:A Beijing court has ruled in favour of Facebook and against a Chinese company which had registered "face book" as a separate trademark.
- 21 Apr 2016:TCL's net profit fell 92% on year to HK$14.25 million in the first quarter of 2016 as sales in China shrank sharply during its ongoing business transition. Revenue for the period fell 17 per cent, it said in a regulatory filing.
- 14 Apr 2016:Abundant financial resources available from China's National IC Industry Investment Fund, often called the Big Fund, augmented local government-led funds, have lent China's "memory" dream an air of credibility. But setting aside China's aspirations, there is intense scrutiny here about the sources of IPs and engineering talent that China badly needs.
- China's Tsinghua Unigroup unveiled a stake of roughly 6% in Lattice Semiconductor on Wednesday, sending shares of the US chip manufacturer soaring 18% on speculation of a possible acquisition.
- 28 Mar 2016:
- 15 Mar 2016:Toshiba is in late-stage negotiations to sell its white goods business to Chinese household appliance giant Midea Group, a move that would mark another chapter in Japan's drastically changing home electronics industry.
- 9 Mar 2016:Chinese exports have seen their sharpest drop in almost seven years, adding to concerns over the health of the world's second largest economy.
- 2 Mar 2016:Computing giant International Business Machines (IBM) plans to sell up to $150 million worth of shares in China's Lenovo, IFR reported on Wednesday, citing a term sheet of the deal sent to investors.
- 1 Mar 2016:China's central bank is increasingly finding itself in a bind, balancing its need to continue easing credit to support economic growth against its stated goal of keeping the Chinese currency stable.
- 19 Feb 2016:Apple launched its Apple Pay mobile payments service in China on Thursday, opening the door to a vast market of smartphone users, as well as newfound competition in an established touchless systems segment leaders Tencent and Alibaba.
- Japan's value of exports fell by 12.9% in January from a year earlier, supporting concerns that the slowdown in China - one of the country's most important trading partners - is continuing to hurt demand.
- 18 Feb 2016:Ingram Micro to become part of China's HNA Group in US$6 billion deal (Feb 17) - The Wall Street JournalTechnology distributor Ingram Micro Inc. has agreed to be acquired for about US$6 billion by a unit of Chinese conglomerate HNA Group.
- 15 Feb 2016:Chinese trade started 2016 on a weak note as January exports declined far more than expected in the face of weak demand and slower production ahead of the just-ended Lunar New Year holiday.
- 22 Jan 2016:
- 19 Jan 2016:China's economy grew by 6.9% in 2015, compared with 7.3% a year earlier, marking its slowest growth in a quarter of a century.
- 17 Jan 2016:In her victory speech, she vowed to preserve the status quo in relations with China, adding Beijing must respect Taiwan's democracy and both sides must ensure there are no provocations.
- 15 Jan 2016:"In the next five years, there will be more innovation, more invention, more entrepreneurship happening in China, happening in Beijing than in Silicon Valley," said Travis Kalanick, CEO of Uber Technologies.
- 11 Jan 2016:China's economic slowdown, coupled with turbulence in the stock market, is prompting investors to take a second look at China's high startup valuations. Startups such as Xiaomi, which raised vast sums on China's mobile Internet boom, are now facing growing pressure to live up to expectations.
- 8 Jan 2016:Stocks around the world plunged again on Thursday. The market volatility in China has raised concerns that a new financial crisis may be just around the corner.
- 30 Dec 2015:Chinese tech website MyDrivers.com posted a picture that supposedly includes telecom giant China Mobile's presentation of its plans for 2016. On the right hand column of the presentation labeled "April or later," one product reads "future Apple iPhone 7C."
- 22 Dec 2015:
- 17 Dec 2015:It has been found that Chinese companies in the LCD and semiconductor industries are trying to acquire Korean firms in partnership with Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix as well as technical engineers.
- According to a rumor out of China, Samsung will have an exclusive on the Snapdragon 820 until April. So in the first three months of next year no other smartphone manufacturer will launch a device sporting this particular SoC.
- 16 Dec 2015:China will guarantee foreign companies' legal rights, President Xi Jinping said on Wednesday at the country's second annual World Internet Conference in Wuzhen.
- 15 Dec 2015:A group led by China Resources Holdings' semiconductor arm and Hua Capital Management has made an offer for Fairchild Semiconductor. That bid followed a November agreement with ON Semiconductor to buy Fairchild for $2.4 billion.
- 8 Dec 2015:On Monday, China's central bank reported $3.4 trillion in foreign exchange reserves, the lowest level since early 2013. November was one of the biggest drops ever.
- 2 Dec 2015:China's unabashed interest in foreign chipmakers in an already record year of deals has been quickly read by rivals as a sign that mergers and acquisitions (M&As) will get more competitive and target companies will get more expensive.
- 24 Nov 2015:Tsinghua's ambitions in the memory chip business are well known. It is reportedly targeting an investment in Renesas as a vehicle for China to gain a foothold in the logic business - especially in the automotive and MCU segments.
- 17 Nov 2015:Authorities bust group stealing Win Semiconductors trade secrets (Oct 6) - Focus Taiwan news channelTaiwan's police have busted a group of seven suspects who plotted to steal business secrets from GaAs wafer fab Win Semiconductors and sell them to China.
- 16 Nov 2015:Chairman Zhao Weiguo also told Reuters in an interview that Tsinghua Unigroup was in talks with a US-based company involved in the chip industry. A deal could be finalised as early as the end of this month.
- 5 Nov 2015:Qualcomm said Wednesday that its revenue and profits fell in both the fourth quarter and the year as it struggled to get Chinese customers to pay for licenses.
- 4 Nov 2015:Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou will meet his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Singapore on Saturday - the first ever meeting between leaders of the two sides.
- 27 Oct 2015:This is a huge development for the company's data center business, as its long-term goal is to become a complete provider of data center solutions.
- 22 Oct 2015:
- UMC Holds 2016 Japan Technology Forum
- Accumulating comprehensive smart living achievements, Tatung is devoted to building smart green communities
- AVerMedia Mini-PCIe Frame Grabber Solutions on NVIDIA Tegra K1 Platform
- QSAN introduces XCubeSAN XS5200 series and XCubeDAS XD5300 series at Computex 2016
- Schurter has expanded its presence in Europe by creating a new subsidiary in Poland, Schurter Electronics Sp. z o.o.
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Dassault Systemes, a European multinational software company that develops 3D design, 3D engineering,...
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
During a Digitimes interview, Global Sales and Operations senior vice president B.S. Teh for Seagate...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...