- 21 Feb 2017:Toshiba is looking to raise at least JPY1 trillion (US$8.8 billion) from the sale of its memory chip business and will aim to complete the transaction by March 2018, according to a person familiar with the matter.
- 20 Feb 2017:Despite the calamities surrounding Samsung's heir apparent Lee Jae-Yong right now, the shareholders of Harman International have voted to approve the company's merger with Samsung Electronics.
- 18 Feb 2017:Samsung hopes to avoid another disastrous recall by adding a third battery supplier for its new smartphone.
- Apple has teamed up with Broadcom to build wireless charging for iPhone, says JPMorgan analyst (Feb 17) - CNBCAn upcoming Apple iPhone is likely to have a customized wireless charging system made with Broadcom, according to JPMorgan analyst Harlan Sur.
- Infineon does not expect to be able to salvage its $850 million purchase of Cree's Wolfspeed Power, which is under US scrutiny over unspecified government security concerns, the German chipmaker said on Thursday.
- TetraVue raises $10 million from Samsung, Foxconn, others to give autonomous cars better eyesight (Feb 17) - VenturebeatTetraVue, a company setting out to arm autonomous cars with ultra high-resolution 3D image-capturing smarts, announced it has raised $10 million from Robert Bosch Venture Capital, Nautilus Venture Partners, Samsung Catalyst Fund, and Foxconn.
- Apple will in the coming months start assembling its lower-priced iPhone SE models at a contract manufacturer's plant in the southern Indian technology hub of Bengaluru, an industry source with direct knowledge of the matter said on Friday.
- 17 Feb 2017:Apple's widely expected 5.8-inch iPhone with an edge-to-edge OLED display will feature a front-facing 3D laser scanner for facial recognition, corroborating previous rumors, according to JPMorgan analyst Rod Hall.
- 16 Feb 2017:For what Intel's data center chief Diane Bryant called the upcoming "10nm+" node, as well as the 7nm manufacturing node to follow, Intel's data center chips will be first on those lines.
- Toshiba may delay the sale of its prized flash-memory chip unit after the conglomerate said it would consider selling most, even all, of the marquee business, a person with direct knowledge of the matter said.
- Micron no longer expects DRAM prices to increase in H2 of this year and 2018.
- 15 Feb 2017:This amended complaint also expands the accused products to include the Apple iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus which use Intel's PMB5750 transceiver chip, which is based on Intel's SMARTi architecture.
- Apple patents screen tech capable of reading fingerprints without dedicated sensor (Feb 14) - Apple InsiderAn Apple patent grant on Tuesday suggests the company is looking to leverage its LuxVue acquisition to integrate display technology capable of reading a user's fingerprint without a dedicated sensor, a design feature rumored to see release with "iPhone 8."
- Intel's Atom C2000 processor family has a fault that effectively bricks devices, costing the company a significant amount of money to correct. But the semiconductor giant won't disclose precisely how many chips are affected nor which products are at risk.
- New chip from MIT could mean power-efficient AI in all your electronics (Feb 14) - Andorid AuthorityResearchers at MIT have developed a low-power chip specialized for automatic speech recognition that could result in a power savings of up to 99%.
- Apple is in discussions with China's BOE Technology to supply next-generation displays for future iPhones, a key component that's being provided by a Samsung Electronics unit, people familiar with the matter said.
- Entegris announces higher-purity gas purification system platform with expanded manufacturing in Asia
- Spirox resolved to propose termination of exclusive distributor agreement with Xcerra Corporation
- Advantest opens registration for VOICE 2017 Developer Conference
- Innodisk introduces the world's smallest embedded RAID 1 Solution
- Toshio Maruyama of Advantest receives SEMI Marketing Excellence Award
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
TSMC and Samsung have been competing for clients for the 10nm node.
Earthquakes in Japan often cause huge damage. They have had strong impacts on the country's electronics industry.
A CNY120 billion (US$19 billion) national industry investment fund has been set up to help local foundries finance the build-up of advanced manufacturing...
Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) is seeking to acquire an up to 25% stake in fellow packaging house Siliconware Precision Industries (SPIL).
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
- Taiwan DRAM module industry overview - Jun 2011
The year 2010 represented a peak in recent years for the DRAM module industry. Optimism surfaced in the second half of 2009 thanks to a return of demand on the...
- Taiwan DRAM-module industry overview - May 2010
Back to 2006 when total revenues for the third-party module market reached US$12.2 billion, Taiwan had over 15 vendors shipping DRAM modules under their own brand...
- Taiwan semiconductor equipment industry overview - Aug 2008
Worries about a global economic downturn have taken a toll on a number of industries, with the semiconductor industry being no exception. Players in the semiconductor...
- Foundry overview - Sep 2006
Taiwan's semiconductor industry has begun to out-run its global peers, once more, in 2006. This followed a trough in 2004, caused by over-inventory, plus volatility...