- 21 Sep 2016:ARM has launched a new real-time processor with advanced safety features for autonomous vehicles and medical and industrial robots. The ARM Cortex-R52 was designed to address functional safety in systems that must comply with ISO 26262 ASIL D and IEC 61508 SIL 3, the most stringent safety standards in the automotive and industrial markets.
- 6 Sep 2016:SoftBank surprised the technology world with a plan to acquire British chip designer ARM Holdings for £23.4 billion ($31.4 billion) back in July, the biggest ever purchase of a European technology company. After less than two months, SoftBank is announcing today that the transaction is complete.
- 31 Aug 2016:More than 95% of the microchip designer's investors voted in favour of the deal at a meeting in London
- 24 Aug 2016:High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f22852f8-549e-11e6-9664-e0bdc13c3bef.html#ixzz4IEwuqbQI Ahead of the ARM deal, SoftBank had sold $20bn worth of its most valuable assets, including shares in Chinese ecommerce group Alibaba, Finnish game developer Supercell and Japan's GungHo Online Entertainment.
- 28 Jul 2016:ARM Holdings said second-quarter revenue rose to $387.6 million, an increase of 9% from the same period in 2015, while profit climbed 17% to 90 million pounds ($118 million).
- 22 Jul 2016:It won't be just Apple that might be interested in making a counter-offer. Google, whose Android smartphones are based on ARM, Samsung and TSMC could all benefit from an acquisition of the UK firm.
- 21 Jul 2016:Son also briefly mentioned during the Japanese press conference that as soon as SoftBank announced the ARM acquisition deal, Son received a call from Alibaba's Jack Ma. "He was very enthusiastic. He told me that he is really interested in driving the China-ARM relationship."
- Although based in Japan, Softbank is very much a Chinese company.
- 19 Jul 2016:
- ARM founder Hermann Hauser said the result of the Softbank deal meant the "determination of what comes next for technology will not be decided in Britain any more, but in Japan".
- 18 Jul 2016:It's buying an established titan that's well-placed for the Internet of things.
- SoftBank Group is nearing a deal to buy ARM Holdings for more than $32 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said, securing a slice of virtually every mobile computing gadget on the planet and future connected devices.
- 19 May 2016:UK chip designer Arm Holdings has bought imaging specialist Apical as the tech company shifts its focus away from smartphones and steps up its investments in new markets.
- 19 Feb 2016:Google's new holding company, Alphabet, has announced the latest piece in its corporate restructuring plans: Jigsaw. It's the jovial rebrand of Google Ideas, the web giant's controversial diplomatic arm, founded in 2010 and headed by ex-US State Department policy wonk Jared Cohen. Jigsaw's stated mission is to use technology to tackle geopolitics.
- 18 Feb 2016:Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM says (Feb 16) - VenturebeatThat supercomputer in your pocket will soon make Sony's and Microsoft's latest home gaming consoles look old and crusty.
- 22 Jan 2016:
- 8 Jan 2016:A secretive Amazon.com unit broke its silence Wednesday about plans to market computer chips and related components to other companies.
- 30 Nov 2015:Toshiba on Friday said it is considering selling a minority stake in its semiconductor business to raise funds in the wake of a drawn-out accounting scandal.
- 13 Oct 2015:Qualcomm has revealed its plans to enter the server CPU market with a custom processor based on a design from UK chip company ARM.
- 28 Sep 2015:Apple A9 chip cores in iPhone 6s and 6s Plus deliver a processor punch to Samsung, Qualcomm (Sep 25) - Apple InsiderPreliminary testing of Apple's latest A-series mobile Application Processor shows that it brings a big jump in general CPU performance over last year's already speedy A8. It also advances Apple's lead in proprietary ARM core design performance over Samsung and Qualcomm.
- 8 Sep 2015:IBM's Internet of Things platform can now work with IoT processors designed by ARM, thanks to a new partnership between the two companies.
- 3 Sep 2015:The two firms plan to improve data analysis relating to IoT devices across a variety of industries.
- 22 Jul 2015:"There are rumors all the time about us being acquired. But when you look at our business model... for any one company it's much less expensive for them to license our technology than to buy the whole company," said ARM CEO Simon Segars.
- ARM, the chip designer whose technology powers almost all smartphones, reported sales that missed analysts' estimates after device shipments by customers including Apple Inc. trailed predictions.
- 25 Jun 2015:The Japanese company's Synergy Platform joins similar efforts by such vendors as Intel, ARM, Broadcom and MediaTek.
- 23 Jun 2015:Applied Micro Circuits recently appointed hedge fund manager Christopher Zepf as one of its board of directors, which has led many to believe that perhaps the company might soon present itself for sale.
- 15 May 2015:With the adoption rate of the ARM mbed IoT Device Platform increasing rapidly, the company has announced a new assurance standard, the ARM mbed Enabled program.
- 28 Apr 2015:Cramer said competitors like Intel, Samsung, Qualcomm, ARM and Nvidia will fight the deal in Washington because it has the potential to crunch their gross margins by bringing up costs. He also pointed out that Washington has been relatively unfriendly to larger mergers this year.
- 7 Apr 2015:There are a few possible explanations for the lack of Cortex-A57 design wins, and they involve physics and economics.
- 11 Feb 2015:ARM has acquired Offspark, a Netherlands-based supplier of Transport Layer Security, that will get folded into its mbed operating system for its Cortex-M cores.
- 3 Dec 2014:Broadcom scores quad win with quad-core processor in latest smartwatch from Sony (Nov 24) - ABI ResearchThis is the first Android smartwatch based on the Broadcom system-on-chip (SoC) platform which includes a 1.2GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex A7 processor (BCM23550), an improved GPS and Sensor processing SOC (BCM47531) capable of simultaneously tracking five satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS, QZSS, SBAS, and BeiDou), the now popular Wi-Fi/BT/NFC/FM quad-combo connectivity chip (BCM43341), and a highly integrated power management IC (BCM59054).
- 23 Nov 2014:Qualcomm, which uses processor technology licensed from ARM, follows a handful of other ARM chip suppliers that are trying to offer server chips.
- 12 Nov 2014:Intel CEO Brian Krzanich expects new semiconductor partners in China to migrate to the US chipmaker's architecture within a few years and give up on ARM technology more widely used in smartphones and tablets.
- 23 Oct 2014:
- 3 Oct 2014:
- 2 Oct 2014:
- 23 Sep 2014:
- 25 Jul 2014:
- 14 Feb 2014:ARM enhances IP suite for 2015 mid-range mobile and consumer markets (February 11) - Company releaseARM has announced an enhanced suite of higher performance and more energy-efficient products specifically designed for the rapidly growing mid-range mobile and consumer electronics markets.
- 5G Asia 2016 breakfast briefing hosted by F5
- JJPLUS leads the way in creating a new wireless charging ecosystem
- ABB to divest cable business to NKT Cables
- Smart mobile video systems for police patrol cars, a state-of-the-art technology
- OEM servers featuring Aptio V UEFI firmware support for Diablo technologies' Memory1 module shipping now
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...