- 20 Jan 2015:Twitter has acquired Indian startup ZipDial, a Bangalore-based mobile VAS company that came into prominence with its implementation of missed calls for user verification, alerts and other use cases.
- 19 Jan 2015:We note some investor speculation that Marvell Technology Group's mobile and wireless business is for sale, though we have no particular insight and Marvell does not comment.
- 15 Jan 2015:BlackBerry and Samsung Electronics have denied reports that they are in talks about Samsung potentially acquiring the Canadian smartphone maker.
- 12 Jan 2015:Vishay Intertechnology has acquired all of the remaining outstanding shares of Taiwan based Capella Microsystems for approximately NT$668.2 million or US$21.0 million.
- 19 Dec 2014:Chinese companies spent almost US$5 billion in five major chip-related takeovers in the past 18 months, data compiled by Bloomberg show, with most deals getting state funding.
- 18 Dec 2014:With its main activities located in Fremont, Calif., TR Manufacturing is a provider of fiber-optic and copper cable/component interconnects and electro-mechanical assemblies to OEMs in a wide range of technology industries. Upon closing, TR Manufacturing will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Corning.
- 26 Nov 2014:The Quintic Wearable & BTLE team of approximately 65 world class engineers located in China (Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai) and Sunnyvale, CA, and its leadership is expected to join NXP at close of this transaction which is targeted for Q1 2015.
- 6 Nov 2014:Synaptics has completed its acquisition of Renesas SP Drivers (RSP), a supplier of small- and medium-size display driver ICs for smartphones and tablets.
- 21 Aug 2014:Infineon to acquire International Rectifier for US$40 per share, approximately US$3 billion in cash (Aug 20) - Company releaseBy integrating International Rectifier, Infineon complements its offerings and will be able to provide customers with a broader range of products and services. Infineon will also benefit significantly from greater economies of scale as well as a larger regional footprint.
- 19 Aug 2014:ON Semiconductor has announced the completion of its acquisition of Aptina Imaging. The total consideration of approximately US$400 million in cash for the acquisition of Aptina was funded by cash on the balance sheet and ON Semiconductor's existing revolving line of credit.
- 3 Jul 2014:
- 7 Mar 2014:At an IBM factory in southern China, more than 1,000 workers have staged a strike to protest the company's plan to transfer employees to the Chinese PC arm, the Lenovo Group.
- 5 Mar 2014:Intel is in the process of buying smartwatch startup Basis, as part of the tech giant's new focus on wearables and the Internet of Things.
- 21 Feb 2014:WhatsApp's jaw-dropping US$19 billion price tag took the world by surprise. But Facebook might have actually gotten WhatsApp for cheap.
- Nokia is considering buying Juniper Networks to merge into its telecommunications network gear business, German's Manager Magazin Online reported, citing unidentified sources.
- 20 Feb 2014:WhatsApp co-founder and CEO Jan Koum will join Facebook's board of directors.
- 13 Feb 2014:Lenovo reported Thursday it had made progress in its plan to expand beyond PCs, even before a planned acquisition of Motorola Mobility.
- Chipmaker Microchip Technology said it would buy Supertex for US$394 million in cash to bolster its business that supplies to the medical, LED lighting, industrial and telecommunication industries.
- 6 Feb 2014:Cadence to enhance high-level synthesis offering with acquisition of Forte Design Systems (February 5) - Company releaseCadence Design Systems has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Forte Design Systems, a provider of SystemC-based high-level synthesis (HLS) and arithmetic IP.
- 1 Feb 2014:Lenovo and Google have entered into a definitive agreement under which Lenovo plans to acquire the Motorola Mobility smartphone business. The purchase price is approximately US$2.91 billion (subject to certain adjustments).
- 27 Jan 2014:Google has acquired London-based artificial intelligence firm DeepMind Technologies, the latest in a series of start-up purchases by the tech giant.
- 22 Jan 2014:Lenovo's talks to buy part of IBM's server business show the Chinese PC giant's next ambition: challenging US rivals in the lucrative market for products and services aimed at corporate clients.
- 14 Jan 2014:Google has entered into an agreement to buy Nest Labs for US$3.2 billion in cash.
- 26 Dec 2013:The deal is undergoing a second-phase anti-trust probe by China's commerce watchdog, which is taking longer than the usual 30 days, reportedly due to concerns from domestic handset makers over a potential Nokia licensing fee hikes.
- 24 Dec 2013:
- 18 Dec 2013:
- 16 Dec 2013:The acquisition expands ARM's position at the forefront of the visual computing and graphics industries. Additionally, the agreement enables Geomerics to build on their existing partnerships as well as accelerate their development in mobile.
- 26 Nov 2013:Apple has agreed to acquire PrimeSense, the maker of motion-tracking chip technology that was used in Microsoft's Kinect game console.
- 22 Nov 2013:For years, technologies like Apple's Siri and Google's Google Now have been flying blind, awoken by the spoken command of their users. If Apple acquires PrimeSense, perceptual computing may finally open its eyes.
- 21 Nov 2013:Since Imagination's acquisition of MIPS Technologies in February 2013, the company has closed 22 MIPS related deals.
- 19 Nov 2013:A Wuxi court has approved Shunfeng Photovoltiac International's purchase of Suntech Power's manufacturing arm, taking the protracted saga closer to conclusion.
- 18 Oct 2013:Lenovo Group is actively considering a bid for all of struggling Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest sign of the voracious appetite of Chinese companies for foreign acquisitions.
- 1 Oct 2013:Intel will take over a plant in Israel's Kiryat Gat city after it was shut down by the US microchip manufacturer Micron in a bid to save 800 jobs, it was announced Sunday.
- 24 Sep 2013:The BlackBerry melodrama may finally be coming to a close. Just days after announcing apocalyptic cuts in its workforce, the company revealed that its largest stakeholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings, has offered to buy the company out for US$4.7 billion, or US$9 a share.
- 3 Sep 2013:Verizon has agreed to pay US$130 billion to take full control of Verizon Wireless from UK partner Vodafone, the companies said Monday.
- Microsoft has posted the presentation it's used to explain its decision to acquire Nokia's mobile phone business and it reveals the key reason for the acquisition: hitting back at Apple and Google.
- 14 Aug 2013:The cuts will not come from among the employees acquired along with Elpida, Micron said.
- 8 Aug 2013:Nokia completes acquisition of Siemens' stake in Nokia Siemens Networks (August 7) - Company releaseNokia has completed the acquisition of Siemens' stake in Nokia Siemens Networks. The transaction was originally announced on July 1, 2013.
- 31 Jul 2013:Micron Technology anticipates the closing of its acquisition of 100% of Elpida's equity to occur on July 31, 2013, Tokyo time. Micron also anticipates concurrently closing its acquisition of a 24% share of Rexchip Electronics from Powerchip Technology and certain of its affiliates.
- 25 Jun 2013:
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan shipments of large-size TFT LCD panels reach 66.99 million in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: LG Chem showcases highest lumen-price ratio OLED lighting panel at Lighting Japan 2015
- Digitimes Research: Korea makers to expand AMOLED production capacity 36% in 2015
- Digitimes Research: 3D, Ultra HD TV prices drop roughly 30% on year in January
- Indium Corporation features NC-SMQ75 die-attach solder paste at Productronica China
- Advantest opens registration for VOICE 2015 developer conference May 12-14
- G.SKILL releases the fastest DDR4-3400MHz memory kit
- Toes Opto-Mechatronics launches flexible thin-film battery, seizing smart wearable application opportunities
- Brand new fuel cell ferry in full service
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Windows 10 unlikely to bring dramatic changes to mobile device market in 2015
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone industry to report shipment growth of 8.6% for 4Q14
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 ships as scheduled for Xiaomi and LG product launches
- Digitimes Research: TSMC SSL merger to enhance Epistar in the LED market
- Digitimes Research: Ultra HD BD players not likely to be available until end of 2015
Lenovo, which had the fourth-largest market share next to Asustek Computer, Acer and Apple in the Taiwan...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
The development of network functions virtualization (NFV) solutions will become mature in 2015 and...
The move by Globalfoundries to acquire IBM's semiconductor business unit and to team up with Samsung...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...