- 26 Oct 2016:In a surprise move on Monday, the German authorities withdrew approval for the takeover of a domestic semiconductor firm by a Chinese bidder, a deal that was set to be an emblem of a new push by Chinese companies to acquire cutting-edge technology businesses and a sign of Berlin's tolerance for such moves.
- 21 Oct 2016:Qualcomm is willing to offer 75 percent cash and 25 percent stock, while NXP reportedly prefers an all-cash offer.
- 19 Oct 2016:Europe needs to wake up to the fact that its best technology companies are being snapped up by overseas buyers at a rapid rate, and to decide whether its laissez-faire approach to these strategic takeovers is sensible.
- 14 Oct 2016:Apple poaching GPU designer Imagination Technologies' talent, hiring key personnel away (Oct 13) - Apple InsiderFollowing Apple's decision to not pursue an acquisition of mobile GPU developer Imagination Technologies, at least 25 staffers and management personnel have jumped ship to Apple in the last few months.
- 12 Oct 2016:With the takeover of Dutch fabless MEMS company Innoluce is Infineon complementing its sensor assortment for the booming market of technology for automated driving. Innoluce's expertise will help Infineon to close its gap in the future-prone field of lidar sensors.
- 7 Oct 2016:Qualcomm is the only company in talks to acquire NXP Semiconductors and is making progress toward an agreement with the Dutch chipmaker on a fair price, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- 4 Oct 2016:Qualcomm has held early talks with several potential targets, including NXP Semiconductors and Xilinx.
- 30 Sep 2016:Qualcomm is in talks to acquire NXP Semiconductors, a deal that likely would cost more than $30 billion and accelerate a consolidation rush in the semiconductor industry.
- 20 Sep 2016:
- 13 Sep 2016:
- 6 Sep 2016:SoftBank surprised the technology world with a plan to acquire British chip designer ARM Holdings for £23.4 billion ($31.4 billion) back in July, the biggest ever purchase of a European technology company. After less than two months, SoftBank is announcing today that the transaction is complete.
- The courtship of Intersil is turning into a duel between Japan's Renesas Electronics and San Jose, Calif.-based Maxim Integrated Products.
- 1 Sep 2016:Slow overall chip market growth, rising cost, diminished venture capital investments in the semiconductor industry, and cheap interest rates are among the reasons tempting chip vendors to keep buying.
- 31 Aug 2016:More than 95% of the microchip designer's investors voted in favour of the deal at a meeting in London
- ON Semiconductor has agreed to sell its ignition IGBT power device business to Littelfuse for $104 million to allow its acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor to go ahead.
- 24 Aug 2016:High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email email@example.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f22852f8-549e-11e6-9664-e0bdc13c3bef.html#ixzz4IEwuqbQI Ahead of the ARM deal, SoftBank had sold $20bn worth of its most valuable assets, including shares in Chinese ecommerce group Alibaba, Finnish game developer Supercell and Japan's GungHo Online Entertainment.
- 22 Aug 2016:China's Tsinghua Unigroup, which has been active in overseas semiconductor investment, is eyeing small and mid-sized South Korean chip firms with specialty solutions, a local report has said.
- 10 Aug 2016:Intel has announced plans to pay an undisclosed amount for Nervana Systems, a 48-employee company working on semiconductors, software and services to exploit a popular AI technique called deep learning.
- 8 Aug 2016:Sony plans to raise some JPY100 billion (US$982 million) by issuing bonds to institutional investors, perhaps in September. The Japanese corporate icon wants to be ready to pounce on future acquisitions and make other growth investments.
- 5 Aug 2016:Japan's TDK has offered ??8.65 million (about $55 million) to buy Tronics Microsystems the listed MEMS manufacturer.
- 2 Aug 2016:Tesla's offer represented about half of SolarCity's value a year ago, a tumble reflecting the solar company's slowing growth, complex financial structure and the increased scrutiny of government incentives for rooftop solar.
- GCS shares under pressure as deal with China's Sanan breaks down (Aug 2) - Focus Taiwan news channelShares of GCS Holding came under pressure Tuesday morning after a planned acquisition of GCS by China-based LED chipmaker Sanan Optoelectronics fell through, dealers said.
- 1 Aug 2016:Chinese investors led by Shanghai Giant Network Technology Co. agreed to buy Caesars Entertainment's online casino-style games unit Playtika for US$4.4 billion, in a bet on the rising popularity of mobile play.
- 30 Jul 2016:Murata Manufacturing and Sony have entered into a non-binding memorandum of understanding that confirms their intent to negotiate the transfer of the Sony Group's battery business to the Murata Group.
- STMicroelectronics has acquired ams' assets related to NFC and RFID reader business.
- The US market isn't the only reason to buy Vizio, but it's a big one.
- 26 Jul 2016:An acquirer from China or Intel Corp., which has a joint venture with Micron, would be the most likely buyers, analysts said.
- 25 Jul 2016:The deal includes Yahoo real estate assets, while some intellectual property is to be sold separately.
- 22 Jul 2016:It won't be just Apple that might be interested in making a counter-offer. Google, whose Android smartphones are based on ARM, Samsung and TSMC could all benefit from an acquisition of the UK firm.
- 21 Jul 2016:
- Son also briefly mentioned during the Japanese press conference that as soon as SoftBank announced the ARM acquisition deal, Son received a call from Alibaba's Jack Ma. "He was very enthusiastic. He told me that he is really interested in driving the China-ARM relationship."
- Although based in Japan, Softbank is very much a Chinese company.
- 18 Jul 2016:It's buying an established titan that's well-placed for the Internet of things.
- SoftBank Group is nearing a deal to buy ARM Holdings for more than $32 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said, securing a slice of virtually every mobile computing gadget on the planet and future connected devices.
- 15 Jul 2016:Infineon Technologies, Europe's biggest chipmaker by revenue, agreed to buy Cree's Wolfspeed Power unit for $850 million to expand in fast-growing markets such as electric cars, renewable energy and the Internet of Things.
- 12 Jul 2016:Microsoft has confirmed it will close its mobile phone unit in Finland, cutting 1,350 jobs.
- 7 Jul 2016:
- 28 Jun 2016:German robotics maker Kuka is on the brink of agreeing to an investor agreement with Chinese bidder Midea that includes a long-term commitment to existing headquarters, factories and jobs, a source close to the negotiations said.
- 27 Jun 2016:Intel is looking at options for Intel Security, including potentially selling the antivirus software maker formerly known as McAfee which it bought for $7.7bn almost six years ago.
- 23 Jun 2016:Microchip executives have quelled most of the dissent from its acquisitions of Atmel and Micrel. However, small pockets of discontent remain on three continents.
- Orbotech presents new, innovative digital production solutions at TPCA 2016
- Microsoft IoT Expo 2016 builds partnership and seeks service-oriented and touched applications
- Heraeus Introduces New Series of Pastes as Solar Market Accelerates Moving to PERC Technology
- Microsoft bridging IoT innovation to seek new growth drivers for Taiwan
- Industry 4.0-based network manager ensures solid industrial connectivity
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...