- 16 Apr 2015:China's biggest chipmaker's possible tie-up with HP values unit at up to US$5 billion (April 15) - Wall Street JournalTsinghua Unigroup is in talks to buy a controlling stake in Hewlett-Packard's China data-networking operations. Discussions are still taking place over the 51% stake in HP subsidiary, H3C Technologies.
- Cadian Capital Management and TIG Advisors are among Altera shareholders that have sent letters to the company's management, urging them to return to the negotiating table with Intel, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- Singapore's Flextronics International is in advanced talks to buy part of the Chinese business of Alcatel-Lucent, the French telecoms firm currently being taken over by Nokia, two people told Reuters.
- 15 Apr 2015:Nokia says it has agreed to buy smaller French rival Alcatel-Lucent in a 15.6 billion euro takeover deal.
- 7 Apr 2015:Some US and European chipmakers, such as Intel, could benefit from China's push to build up its semiconductor industry into a global power, said Jefferies in a new research report.
- 2 Apr 2015:The volumes of the FPGA market are tiny by comparison to Intel's computer markets. Some have questioned a deal that would require spending as much as $13 billion to acquire just less than $2 billion in annual revenues.
- 31 Mar 2015:
- 29 Mar 2015:Integrated Silicon Solution (ISSI) and a Chinese consortium of investors led by Summitview Capital have entered into a definitive merger agreement under which the consortium will acquire all of the outstanding shares of ISSI for US$19.25 per share in cash. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of 2015.
- Intel is in advanced talks to buy chip partner Altera, according to people familiar with the matter, a move that would represent the semiconductor giant's biggest-ever acquisition.
- 5 Mar 2015:
- 26 Feb 2015:Aruba makes hardware and software used to build Wi-Fi networks for customers including China's Dalian Wanda Group Co., which uses the technology in shopping malls.
- Avago Technologies and Emulex entered into a definitive agreement under which Avago will acquire Emulex, a leader in network connectivity, monitoring and management, in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately US$606 million, or US$609 million net of cash and debt acquired.
- 25 Feb 2015:Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) of China is seeking to take over Dongbu HiTek, industry sources said Monday.
- 24 Feb 2015:The new owner of Pantech is set to be announced soon, industry sources said Monday, with a US asset management firm highly likely to win the bid through a private contract.
- 7 Feb 2015:Motorola Solutions is what is left of Motorola, the wireless-communications pioneer which has been dismantled in recent years.
- 2 Feb 2015:Morgan Stanley analyst Joseph Moore commented on the rumor that BLX IC Design is interested in acquiring Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and outlined some obstacles that may face a potential suitor for the company.
- 20 Jan 2015:Twitter has acquired Indian startup ZipDial, a Bangalore-based mobile VAS company that came into prominence with its implementation of missed calls for user verification, alerts and other use cases.
- 19 Jan 2015:We note some investor speculation that Marvell Technology Group's mobile and wireless business is for sale, though we have no particular insight and Marvell does not comment.
- 15 Jan 2015:BlackBerry and Samsung Electronics have denied reports that they are in talks about Samsung potentially acquiring the Canadian smartphone maker.
- 12 Jan 2015:Vishay Intertechnology has acquired all of the remaining outstanding shares of Taiwan based Capella Microsystems for approximately NT$668.2 million or US$21.0 million.
- 19 Dec 2014:Chinese companies spent almost US$5 billion in five major chip-related takeovers in the past 18 months, data compiled by Bloomberg show, with most deals getting state funding.
- 18 Dec 2014:With its main activities located in Fremont, Calif., TR Manufacturing is a provider of fiber-optic and copper cable/component interconnects and electro-mechanical assemblies to OEMs in a wide range of technology industries. Upon closing, TR Manufacturing will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Corning.
- 26 Nov 2014:The Quintic Wearable & BTLE team of approximately 65 world class engineers located in China (Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai) and Sunnyvale, CA, and its leadership is expected to join NXP at close of this transaction which is targeted for Q1 2015.
- 6 Nov 2014:Synaptics has completed its acquisition of Renesas SP Drivers (RSP), a supplier of small- and medium-size display driver ICs for smartphones and tablets.
- 21 Aug 2014:Infineon to acquire International Rectifier for US$40 per share, approximately US$3 billion in cash (Aug 20) - Company releaseBy integrating International Rectifier, Infineon complements its offerings and will be able to provide customers with a broader range of products and services. Infineon will also benefit significantly from greater economies of scale as well as a larger regional footprint.
- 19 Aug 2014:ON Semiconductor has announced the completion of its acquisition of Aptina Imaging. The total consideration of approximately US$400 million in cash for the acquisition of Aptina was funded by cash on the balance sheet and ON Semiconductor's existing revolving line of credit.
- 3 Jul 2014:
- 7 Mar 2014:At an IBM factory in southern China, more than 1,000 workers have staged a strike to protest the company's plan to transfer employees to the Chinese PC arm, the Lenovo Group.
- 5 Mar 2014:Intel is in the process of buying smartwatch startup Basis, as part of the tech giant's new focus on wearables and the Internet of Things.
- 21 Feb 2014:WhatsApp's jaw-dropping US$19 billion price tag took the world by surprise. But Facebook might have actually gotten WhatsApp for cheap.
- Nokia is considering buying Juniper Networks to merge into its telecommunications network gear business, German's Manager Magazin Online reported, citing unidentified sources.
- 20 Feb 2014:WhatsApp co-founder and CEO Jan Koum will join Facebook's board of directors.
- 13 Feb 2014:Lenovo reported Thursday it had made progress in its plan to expand beyond PCs, even before a planned acquisition of Motorola Mobility.
- Chipmaker Microchip Technology said it would buy Supertex for US$394 million in cash to bolster its business that supplies to the medical, LED lighting, industrial and telecommunication industries.
- 6 Feb 2014:Cadence to enhance high-level synthesis offering with acquisition of Forte Design Systems (February 5) - Company releaseCadence Design Systems has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Forte Design Systems, a provider of SystemC-based high-level synthesis (HLS) and arithmetic IP.
- 1 Feb 2014:Lenovo and Google have entered into a definitive agreement under which Lenovo plans to acquire the Motorola Mobility smartphone business. The purchase price is approximately US$2.91 billion (subject to certain adjustments).
- 27 Jan 2014:Google has acquired London-based artificial intelligence firm DeepMind Technologies, the latest in a series of start-up purchases by the tech giant.
- 22 Jan 2014:Lenovo's talks to buy part of IBM's server business show the Chinese PC giant's next ambition: challenging US rivals in the lucrative market for products and services aimed at corporate clients.
- 14 Jan 2014:Google has entered into an agreement to buy Nest Labs for US$3.2 billion in cash.
- 26 Dec 2013:The deal is undergoing a second-phase anti-trust probe by China's commerce watchdog, which is taking longer than the usual 30 days, reportedly due to concerns from domestic handset makers over a potential Nokia licensing fee hikes.
- Dahua and Seagate to pair up for Secutech 2015
- Seagate and QNAP to demonstrate a complete surveillance solution at Secutech Taipei 2015
- Posiflex wins Red Dot Award: Product design 2015
- Tatung promotes high-efficiency motors and electric vehicle motors to drive energy conservation and environmental protection
- IP-based Communications Build up Smart Factories
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Is Japan losing its influence in global semiconductor market?, asks IC Insights
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo smartphone shipments reach only 8-9 million units in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments drop over 30% sequentially in 1Q15 as small regional vendors suffer
Taiwan-based crystalline silicon solar cell makers have been impacted by the US imposing an average...
The IC backend service industry was capped by a flurry of merger and acquisition (M&A) activities...
Macronix International, which ranks as the world's second-largest NOR flash supplier with a 19% share...
The applications, demand and service areas for the global storage device industry have seen profound...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...