- 22 Feb 2012:Walmart is taking a 51% stake in Yihaodian, a leading Chinese e-commerce website, in a significant move by the US retailer to boost its online presence in China.
- 21 Feb 2012:SanDisk has extended its enterprise solid state disk drive (SSD) solutions portfolio with the acquisition of FlashSoft, a provider of innovative caching software products.
- 14 Feb 2012:Apple has filed a suit in San Diego federal court accusing Motorola of breaching its licensing agreement with Qualcomm over a chip used in the iPhone 4S.
- 30 Jan 2012:Micron Technology and Virtensys have announced that the companies have signed an agreement for Micron to acquire the assets of privately held Virtensys, a provider of PCIe-sharing solutions based in Manchester, England and Beaverton, Ore.
- Qualcomm has acquired display startup Pixtronix, which develops technology applicable to smartphone and tablet screens.
- MagnaChip Semiconductor announced that its Korean subsidiary has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Dawin Electronics, a privately held semiconductor company that designs and manufactures Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT), Fast Recovery Diode (FRD) and MOSFET modules.
- 20 Jan 2012:Samsung spokesman James Chung said that his company has not "considered acquiring" RIM and is "not interested" in buying the BlackBerry maker. He added that neither company approached the other to try to create an acquisition deal.
- 12 Jan 2012:Apple confirmed Wednesday that it has acquired Israeli semiconductor company Anobit technologies for US$390 million, providing it with significant technological boost in the mobile devices market.
- 7 Jan 2012:The Finnish handset giant scooped up Smarterphone, a small Norwegian company that has an operating system designed for more basic cell phones known in the industry as feature phones. The acquisition was disclosed by Smarterphone's Nordic investor parent, Ferd Capital. A Nokia representative confirmed the acquisition but declined to comment further on what it means for the company.
- 29 Dec 2011:China's Alibaba Group has hired a US lobbying firm, fuelling further speculation that it is preparing a bid for Yahoo.
- 28 Dec 2011:AT&T purchased 700MHz spectrum licenses covering more than 300 million people for approximately US$1.9 billion.
- 23 Dec 2011:Smartphones are relatively new, but will likely follow the path of more mature electronics industries, in which "you typically see large cross-licensing agreements between the big players because they've all got lots of patents the others are infringing."
- 21 Dec 2011:The acquisition is one of the most expensive for Apple since it acquired NeXT in 1996 - 15 years ago to the day, in fact-and should cement the company's strategic shift to solid-state flash storage for its products.
- Research In Motion has turned down takeover overtures from Amazon.com and other potential buyers because the BlackBerry maker prefers to fix its problems on its own, according to people with knowledge of the situation.
- 20 Dec 2011:AT&T says it has agreed with Deutsche Telekom to ends its bid to buy T-Mobile USA after facing fierce government objections.
- 16 Dec 2011:Lam Research has announced plans to buy Novellus Systems in an all-stock transaction valued at US$3.3 billion, as the company sought to expand its market share.
- 14 Dec 2011:Apple is reportedly going to use part of its enormous pile of cash to buy an Israeli fabless semiconductor company that specializes in flash storage solutions.
- 22 Nov 2011:
- 15 Nov 2011:SK Telecom to pay KRW3.4 trillion for Hynix to take on Samsung (November 14) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)SK Telecom has agreed to pay KRW3.4 trillion (US$3.1 billion) for 21% of Hynix Semiconductor.
- 10 Nov 2011:
- 9 Nov 2011:Olympus' admission that three of its top executives colluded to hide losses from investors fails to address the roles played by other officials, according to the company's biggest overseas shareholder.
- 4 Nov 2011:Prolific develops leading-edge IC design optimization software tools that significantly reduce development time and improve the performance of cell-based designs.
- 2 Nov 2011:A public-private fund that will acquire the small- and mid-size LCD operations of Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony will also buy a Panasonic factory for about JPY20 billion (US$255.5 million), Japanese business daily The Nikkei said.
- 1 Nov 2011:LSI will not limit the distribution of SandForce's flash chip controller technology, even to competitors, after its buyout of the company is completed. LSI's planned acquisition of SandForce was announced on October 26.
- 17 Oct 2011:Existing TI distributors to sell combined TI and National product portfolio (October 5) - Company releaseTI's authorized semiconductor distributors include Arrow, Avnet, WPG, WT Microelectronics, and so on.
- 14 Oct 2011:
- The completion of the acquisition also marks the official introduction of Skype as a new business division within Microsoft.
- 13 Oct 2011:Solar M&A activity in Q3 signals start of industry consolidation, says Mercom Capital (October 12) - PV-TechAccording to the latest quarterly report from Mercom Capital Group, M&A activity in the third quarter could signal the start of a period of consolidation within the PV industry. Mercom Capital reported that there was US$563 million spent in 20 M&A transactions in the quarter with details disclosed for only eight of these downstream market deals.
- 7 Oct 2011:Shares in the internet portal firm Yahoo have leapt 10% on rumours that Microsoft is considering a second attempt at a takeover.
- 6 Oct 2011:PLX's UK Design Team has built a reputation for designing innovative and reliable system-on-chip (SOC) solutions and the acquired engineering team's expertise provides OCZ with additional resources for controller design.
- 3 Oct 2011:Are Internet users in the US or Europe ready to entrust all their personal information to an online service controlled from China?
- 30 Sep 2011:Amkor to acquire Toshiba chip assembly and test operations in Malaysia (September 29) - Company releaseToshiba and Amkor Technology have announced that they have signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding for the acquisition by Amkor of Toshiba Electronics Malaysia, Toshiba's semiconductor assembly operation in Malaysia, together with a license to Amkor for certain related intellectual property rights.
- 29 Sep 2011:Atmel has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Advanced Digital Design, a Spain-based developer of power line communication solutions. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in October.
- 26 Sep 2011:TI will include National's contribution to financial performance in the company's third-quarter earnings announcement on October 24. TI's Analog semiconductor business now represents more than 50% of the company's revenues.
- 19 Sep 2011:Infineon sits on cash as main competitors 'aren't exciting' (September 19) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Infineon Technologies, flush with as much as US$3 billion in cash for acquisitions, is struggling to find an attractive target that would boost its most profitable business, power semiconductors.
- 13 Sep 2011:
- 8 Sep 2011:Integrated Device Technology (IDT) and Qualcomm have announced the signing of a definitive agreement to transfer the design team of IDT's Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) and Frame Rate Conversion (FRC) Video Processing product lines and certain related assets to Qualcomm.
- 7 Sep 2011:Research In Motion should explore transformational changes, including the breakup or sale of the company...
- 5 Sep 2011:Synopsys has completed the acquisition of nSys Design Systems, a provider of verification IP.
- MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING - built to be perfect
- Tatung aggressively expanding in Middle East: Smart energy-saving solutions showcased at Middle East Electricity 2014
- Fortrend Liquid Diamond layer provides anti-germ capability 4 times that of untreated glass
- W Hotel chooses EverFocus as a preferred Security System Provider
- Nimax 2014 new vision: customization and intelligentization
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Digitimes Research: Cortex-A17 to take over ARM high-end/mid-range 32-bit business
- A win-win situation for Toshiba and OCZ: Q&A with Alex Mei, CMO of OCZ Storage Solutions
- Is a US$25 smartphone possible?
- Digitimes Research: Apple triggers 64-bit AP battle
- Digitimes Research: MediaTek hikes turn-key value by virtue of Hotknot
- Intel unveils latest Education Tablet and Classmate PC
- AMD offers new 12- and 16-core additions to Opteron 6300 series
- CES 2014: Samsung unveils 12-inch tablet lineups
- CES 2014: HP unveils new 27-inch all-in-one workstation and new Android-based all-in-one PC
- CES 2014: LG unveils new wearable innovations
As part of Toshiba, OCZ Storage Solutions is able to leverage Toshiba's NAND and combine it with its...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...