- 1 Oct 2015:China's analog chipmaker Montage Technology has offered to buy Pericom Semiconductor in a deal valued at about US$430 million, trumping an offer from Diodes earlier this month.
- 28 Sep 2015:Slowing smartphone and tablet demand growth and declining PC sales in the next 12 months are likely to drive further consolidation in the highly fragmented USD25bn IC outsourced semiconductor assembly and test (OSAT) industry, Fitch Ratings says.
- 21 Sep 2015:Dialog Semiconductor Plc fell the most in almost seven years in Frankfurt trading after agreeing to buy Atmel for about US$4.6 billion - more than its own market value - to expand into the automotive industry and everyday objects that are increasingly connected to the Internet.
- 17 Sep 2015:CEC is discussing a bid for Atmel, a maker of chips used in industrial machinery and cars, at about US$8.50 a share and the two sides are negotiating, people with knowledge of the process said.
- Freescale Semiconductor has announced the acquisition of CogniVue, an image cognition IP developer based in Ottawa, Canada.
- 30 Jul 2015:Qualcomm, the world's largest maker of chips for mobile phones, won't sit on the sidelines as rivals get larger, according to its chief executive officer.
- 23 Jul 2015:China's Tsinghua Holdings is still discussing a potential deal to buy US chipmaker Micron Technology and hopes it could eventually go through, the state-backed investment company's chairman told Reuters on Thursday.
- 22 Jul 2015:"There are rumors all the time about us being acquired. But when you look at our business model... for any one company it's much less expensive for them to license our technology than to buy the whole company," said ARM CEO Simon Segars.
- 21 Jul 2015:Micron Technology has told China's Tsinghua Unigroup that its US$23 billion acquisition offer is not realistic because US authorities would block the deal due to national security concerns, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 17 Jul 2015:Facebook's Oculus to pay about US$60 million for gesture-control firm Pebbles (Jul 16) - The Wall Street JournalOculus, the virtual-reality headset maker that Facebook bought last year, said Pebbles "will be joining the hardware engineering and computer vision teams at Oculus to help advance virtual reality, tracking, and human-computer interactions."
- 15 Jul 2015:Sales of PCs that used Micron's memory chips dropped faster than the company expected in 2015 triggering a 50% stock plunge. That drop helped set the stage for Micron, which is known for buying other companies' chip operations, to become a target.
- 14 Jul 2015:Tsinghua Unigroup Chairman Zhao Weiguo signaled the company is interested in Micron Technology after the Wall Street Journal reported the Chinese company made a US$23 billion bid for the US semiconductor maker.
- 9 Jul 2015:Microsoft also announced the reduction of up to 7,800 positions, primarily in the phone business.
- 30 Jun 2015:Shares of chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are up 7 cents, or 3%, at $2.41, after PC and gaming gear enthusiast site KitGuru this afternoon said the company is attracting buyout interest from Microsoft.
- Xilinx CEO Moshe Gavrielov is trying to take advantage of increased interest in his company since Intel said it would acquire his main rival in the programmable logic-chip market for US$16.7 billion.
- 25 Jun 2015:Pantech, which has been in court receivership since August last year, has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Seoul Central District Court's approval for a possible merger and acquisition with a consortium led by South Korean optical disc drive (ODD) manufacturer Optis on June 16.
- The bidding war for Integrated Silicon Solution (ISSI) intensified with rival chipmaker Cypress Semiconductor further sweetening its offer to US$22.60 per share.
- 23 Jun 2015:Applied Micro Circuits recently appointed hedge fund manager Christopher Zepf as one of its board of directors, which has led many to believe that perhaps the company might soon present itself for sale.
- 18 Jun 2015:The proximate source of a lot of this pressure is China, say SouthBay Economics' Andrew Zatlin. Semiconductors are suffering a fallout stemming from China's slowing economy just like other commodities have.
- Intel's CEO, Brian Krzanich, made his commitment to wearable technology very clear shortly after assuming his current role in 2013.
- 16 Jun 2015:Chip makers are feeling pressures to find new sales, including by merging with rivals, amid declines in some businesses such as personal computers and rising expectations for margin growth.
- 10 Jun 2015:Cypress Semiconductor's latest acquisition ambitions have been stopped due to anti-trust concerns.
- 8 Jun 2015:Synopsys has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Atrenta, a privately held provider of SoC realization solutions for the semiconductor and consumer electronics industries.
- 2 Jun 2015:Altera has been a key customer at TSMC for years, especially at the advanced tech node, accounting for around 3% of TSMC's revenue at 20/28 nodes.
- 28 May 2015:Chip maker Avago Technologies is in advanced talks to buy rival Broadcom in a deal worth about US$35 billion, the latest in a wave of takeovers for the companies that supply parts to power smartphones, tablets and other gadgets.
- 25 May 2015:The deal brings together HP with the investment arm of China's Tsinghua University in a joint venture called H3C, worth $4.5bn.
- 16 Apr 2015:China's biggest chipmaker's possible tie-up with HP values unit at up to US$5 billion (April 15) - Wall Street JournalTsinghua Unigroup is in talks to buy a controlling stake in Hewlett-Packard's China data-networking operations. Discussions are still taking place over the 51% stake in HP subsidiary, H3C Technologies.
- Cadian Capital Management and TIG Advisors are among Altera shareholders that have sent letters to the company's management, urging them to return to the negotiating table with Intel, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- Singapore's Flextronics International is in advanced talks to buy part of the Chinese business of Alcatel-Lucent, the French telecoms firm currently being taken over by Nokia, two people told Reuters.
- 15 Apr 2015:Nokia says it has agreed to buy smaller French rival Alcatel-Lucent in a 15.6 billion euro takeover deal.
- 7 Apr 2015:Some US and European chipmakers, such as Intel, could benefit from China's push to build up its semiconductor industry into a global power, said Jefferies in a new research report.
- 2 Apr 2015:The volumes of the FPGA market are tiny by comparison to Intel's computer markets. Some have questioned a deal that would require spending as much as $13 billion to acquire just less than $2 billion in annual revenues.
- 31 Mar 2015:
- 29 Mar 2015:Integrated Silicon Solution (ISSI) and a Chinese consortium of investors led by Summitview Capital have entered into a definitive merger agreement under which the consortium will acquire all of the outstanding shares of ISSI for US$19.25 per share in cash. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of 2015.
- Intel is in advanced talks to buy chip partner Altera, according to people familiar with the matter, a move that would represent the semiconductor giant's biggest-ever acquisition.
- 5 Mar 2015:
- 26 Feb 2015:Aruba makes hardware and software used to build Wi-Fi networks for customers including China's Dalian Wanda Group Co., which uses the technology in shopping malls.
- Avago Technologies and Emulex entered into a definitive agreement under which Avago will acquire Emulex, a leader in network connectivity, monitoring and management, in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately US$606 million, or US$609 million net of cash and debt acquired.
- 25 Feb 2015:Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) of China is seeking to take over Dongbu HiTek, industry sources said Monday.
- 24 Feb 2015:The new owner of Pantech is set to be announced soon, industry sources said Monday, with a US asset management firm highly likely to win the bid through a private contract.
- EuroBLECH 2016 reflects trend towards smart manufacturing in sheet metal working
- Advantest rated as Advanced Masks Technology Center GmbH & Co. KG's (AMTC) best supplier 2015 for the second year in a row
- CAYIN to rollout system software upgrade and new product line
- Advantest introduces V93000 wave scale cards for cost-effective testing of current and next-generation RF semiconductors
- Computer-on-modules deliver an ideal solution for Industry 4.0 intelligent automation
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
The launch of virtual reality headsets for the consumer market and the increasing demand for ultra...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...