- 14 Dec 2015:The deal includes the century-old newspaper, outdoor advertising, digital assets and magazines.
- 2 Dec 2015:China's unabashed interest in foreign chipmakers in an already record year of deals has been quickly read by rivals as a sign that mergers and acquisitions (M&As) will get more competitive and target companies will get more expensive.
- 1 Dec 2015:Abu Dhabi's investment arm is considering a sale of all or part of chipmaker Globalfoundries as the emirate explores asset disposals amid a slump in crude oil, people familiar with the matter said.
- 30 Nov 2015:Integrated Device Technology (IDT) has announced an agreement to acquire privately held ZMDI (Zentrum Mikroelektronik Dresden) for total consideration of US$310 million in cash. The acquisition provides IDT with a highly regarded Automotive & Industrial business, and extends their technology leadership in high performance programmable power devices and timing & signal conditioning.
- Toshiba on Friday said it is considering selling a minority stake in its semiconductor business to raise funds in the wake of a drawn-out accounting scandal.
- 24 Nov 2015:European antitrust regulators cleared on Monday Avago Technologies planned US$37 billion takeover of rival chipmaker Broadcom without conditions.
- SK said late Monday that it has decided to purchase OCI Materials, the world's top supplier of the specialty gas, nitrogen trifluoride (NF3), to strengthen its memory chip business.
- If Tsinghua Unigroup is unable to acquire the necessary IP to build 3D NAND, I believe the Chinese company will scrap its plan to build the new fab.
- Tsinghua's ambitions in the memory chip business are well known. It is reportedly targeting an investment in Renesas as a vehicle for China to gain a foothold in the logic business - especially in the automotive and MCU segments.
- 20 Nov 2015:Why Tsinghua Unigroup might buy a minority stake or get a joint venture with AMD (Nov 17) - Seeking AlphaI know Intel partnered up with Tsinghua Unigroup last year to buy a 20% stake in Chinese fabless chipmakers RDA Microlectronics and Spreadtrum. However, I do not think Intel would be a major partner in Tsinghua Unigroup's $47 billion plan to become the world's third-largest chipmaker. I believe troubled AMD is more likely to be desperate enough to welcome Tsinghua's money.
- 17 Nov 2015:UK-based chip vendor Dialog Semiconductor announced its proposed $4.6 billion acquisition of Atmel has cleared regulatory review in the US in Germany-even as an activist hedge fund opposed to the deal boosted its stake in Dialog in hopes of blocking the transaction.
- 12 Nov 2015:So far this year, chip companies have announced $100.6 billion in mergers and acquisitions, according to Dealogic, exceeding the $37.7 billion total for all of 2014.
- 10 Nov 2015:One of the greatest risks to Apple's iPhone and iPad sales is its ability to secure enough DRAM (at a reasonable cost) when the inevitable shortage occurs in the future.
- 6 Nov 2015:
- Infineon Technologies, Germany's largest chipmaker, is the front-runner to acquire Fairchild Semiconductor International because it's willing to pay more for the company, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- 5 Nov 2015:
- 2 Nov 2015:PMC-Sierra said Microsemi's $2.35 billion takeover offer wasn't superior to a bid from Skyworks Solutions because the Skyworks deal "provides more value certainty to shareholders" than the Microsemi proposal, which was "nominally higher."
- 28 Oct 2015:Share on Facebook Share on Twitter STMicroelectronics is considering a bid for Fairchild Semiconductor International as Europe's largest chipmaker seeks to boost growth and shore up its digital products business, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 26 Oct 2015:Philips has announced that its $3.3bn sale of Lumileds could be blocked by US authorities.
- 23 Oct 2015:Texas Instruments' chief financial officer said Wednesday (Oct. 21) that the company doesn't have immediate plans to join the consolidation frenzy currently taking place in the semiconductor industry.
- 20 Oct 2015:The two companies could reach a deal as soon as this week.
- 15 Oct 2015:World No. 1 chipmaker Intel gained unconditional EU antitrust approval on Wednesday for its US$16.7 billion bid for Altera, its largest ever acquisition.
- 14 Oct 2015:Cypress Semiconductor has withdrawn its offer for Atmel, the second failed attempt by the company to acquire a chipmaker this year.
- Micron Technology and Western Digital are in talks with SanDisk about a possible acquisition, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the process is private.
- 12 Oct 2015:Tsinghua Unigroup, the state-backed Chinese firm that recently agreed to buy a stake in Western Digital, is close to acquiring local chip company Tongfang Guoxin Electronics, a person familiar with the matter said.
- EMC, the data storage company that is preparing to unveil an agreement to be acquired by personal computer maker Dell as early as Monday, is also planning to seek out other suitors, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 6 Oct 2015:Samsung Electronics and SK hynix have clinched no overseas takeover deals for the semiconductor business this year, in contract to their global peers who've been strongly engaged in the merger and acquisition (M&A) activities.
- Skyworks Solutions has announced a definitive agreement under which Skyworks will acquire PMC for US$10.50 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately US$2 billion. This acquisition solidifies Skyworks' position as a highly diversified analog, RF and mixed signal semiconductor leader.
- Micron gains SSD controller technology through Tidal Systems aquisition (Oct 2) - Tom's Hardware GuideOne day after an earnings call with investors, Micron Technology has acquired Tidal Systems for an undisclosed sum.
- 2 Oct 2015:Synaptics, the maker of touch-screen technology used in phones, tablets and computers, rejected an offer from a state-backed Chinese investment group that valued the company at almost US$4 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- PMC, which is based in Santa Clara, California, is being pitched to other semiconductor companies, rather than private-equity firms.
- 1 Oct 2015:Chinese interest in Synaptics and Western Digital shows Beijing is accelerating efforts to buy the building blocks for a domestic technology industry.
- As to whether it makes sense it all depends on how much Abu Dhabi and Mubadala would demand in payment and what assurances of collaboration with Samsung could be obtained.
- China's analog chipmaker Montage Technology has offered to buy Pericom Semiconductor in a deal valued at about US$430 million, trumping an offer from Diodes earlier this month.
- 28 Sep 2015:Slowing smartphone and tablet demand growth and declining PC sales in the next 12 months are likely to drive further consolidation in the highly fragmented USD25bn IC outsourced semiconductor assembly and test (OSAT) industry, Fitch Ratings says.
- 21 Sep 2015:Dialog Semiconductor Plc fell the most in almost seven years in Frankfurt trading after agreeing to buy Atmel for about US$4.6 billion - more than its own market value - to expand into the automotive industry and everyday objects that are increasingly connected to the Internet.
- 17 Sep 2015:CEC is discussing a bid for Atmel, a maker of chips used in industrial machinery and cars, at about US$8.50 a share and the two sides are negotiating, people with knowledge of the process said.
- Freescale Semiconductor has announced the acquisition of CogniVue, an image cognition IP developer based in Ottawa, Canada.
- 30 Jul 2015:Qualcomm, the world's largest maker of chips for mobile phones, won't sit on the sidelines as rivals get larger, according to its chief executive officer.
- 23 Jul 2015:China's Tsinghua Holdings is still discussing a potential deal to buy US chipmaker Micron Technology and hopes it could eventually go through, the state-backed investment company's chairman told Reuters on Thursday.
- Innodisk launches digital input/output expansion cards suitable for industrial systems
- AVerMedia introduces video capture and streaming solutions, targeting application opportunities in four major sectors
- PALWONN/ABONTOUCH's AbonMax series touch panel took challenges against Microsoft Surface Hub and Google Jamboard
- Join CAYIN at InfoComm MEA 2016 to discover the next-gen digital signage
- Clientron to introduce new 12" all-in-one POS Bello620
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...