- 18 Oct 2013:Lenovo Group is actively considering a bid for all of struggling Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest sign of the voracious appetite of Chinese companies for foreign acquisitions.
- 1 Oct 2013:Intel will take over a plant in Israel's Kiryat Gat city after it was shut down by the US microchip manufacturer Micron in a bid to save 800 jobs, it was announced Sunday.
- 24 Sep 2013:The BlackBerry melodrama may finally be coming to a close. Just days after announcing apocalyptic cuts in its workforce, the company revealed that its largest stakeholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings, has offered to buy the company out for US$4.7 billion, or US$9 a share.
- 3 Sep 2013:Verizon has agreed to pay US$130 billion to take full control of Verizon Wireless from UK partner Vodafone, the companies said Monday.
- Microsoft has posted the presentation it's used to explain its decision to acquire Nokia's mobile phone business and it reveals the key reason for the acquisition: hitting back at Apple and Google.
- 14 Aug 2013:The cuts will not come from among the employees acquired along with Elpida, Micron said.
- 8 Aug 2013:Nokia completes acquisition of Siemens' stake in Nokia Siemens Networks (August 7) - Company releaseNokia has completed the acquisition of Siemens' stake in Nokia Siemens Networks. The transaction was originally announced on July 1, 2013.
- 31 Jul 2013:Micron Technology anticipates the closing of its acquisition of 100% of Elpida's equity to occur on July 31, 2013, Tokyo time. Micron also anticipates concurrently closing its acquisition of a 24% share of Rexchip Electronics from Powerchip Technology and certain of its affiliates.
- 25 Jun 2013:
- 11 Jun 2013:Google is on the cusp of paying more than US$1 billion for navigation and traffic application Waze, said a person familiar with the negotiations, as the Internet giant looks to boost its own navigation offerings around the world.
- 29 May 2013:ST-Ericsson, which focuses on mobile and wireless chips, announced the sale on Tuesday without naming the buyer. An Intel spokesman later said the US chipmaker bought the assets.
- 16 Apr 2013:Altera has agreed to acquire TPACK, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Applied Micro Circuits. TPACK delivers complete FPGA-based OTN (optical transport network) products targeting packet and optical networking equipment suppliers.
- 15 Apr 2013:
- 28 Mar 2013:A former CIO and vice president at networking hardware vendor Foundry Networks has been charged with insider trading over the company's acquisition in 2008 by Brocade Communications Systems, the US Department of Justice said.
- 26 Mar 2013:Micron Technology is poised to get a US$400 million discount on the acquisition of Japanese rival Elpida Memory, after a 16% slump in the yen against the US dollar.
- 15 Mar 2013:Cadence Design Systems has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Tensilica, a leader in dataplane processing IP, for approximately US$380 million in cash.
- 12 Mar 2013:
- 6 Feb 2013:
- 28 Jan 2013:Lenovo has signalled it is a potential acquirer of Research In Motion, lifting the shares in the troubled Canadian maker of BlackBerry smartphones.
- 16 Jan 2013:Dell is in buyout talks with private-equity firms, two people with knowledge of the matter said. The shares surged.
- 7 Dec 2012:
- 29 Nov 2012:Sony is in talks with suitors including Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision over the sale of its battery business, a Nikkei report said Thursday, as the Japanese firm tries to repair its dented balance sheet.
- 22 Nov 2012:British microprocessing firm Imagination Technologies' US$60 million pursuit of the operating business of MIPS Technologies faces competition after the US company received a higher bid from a rival firm.
- 6 Nov 2012:ARM is part of a consortium buying the rights to MIPS' portfolio of 580 patents, contributing US$167.5 million to the total US$350 million purchase price. As for ARM itself and its consortium colleagues, its part of the deal will reduce the risk of any infringement of MIPS' patents.
- MIPS agrees to sale of patent properties to AST and acquisition by Imagination (November 5) - Company releaseMIPS Technologies has entered into separate definitive agreements with Bridge Crossing, an acquisition vehicle of Allied Security Trust, and Imagination Technologies with net proceeds of approximately US$7.31 per share in cash to each holder of MIPS common stock. The total value of the transaction represents a 40% premium to the closing price on April 11, 2012, the day prior to the first public rumor of a potential sale of MIPS.
- 30 Oct 2012:ALi has acquired Abilis, a fabless semiconductor company providing RF modulators, secure media processors and broadcast-to-IP solutions, according to the Taiwan-based set-top box IC firm.
- 26 Oct 2012:Elpida's main bankruptcy proceeding is being handled by a district court in Tokyo, but Christopher Sontchi, the Delaware Bankruptcy Court judge overseeing Elpida's parallel US case, said the company was taking a risk by not keeping creditors better informed.
- 16 Oct 2012:The takeover of the number three mobile carrier in the US will make Softbank one of the world's three biggest mobile phone operators, with 96 million users.
- Amazon.Com is in advanced talks to buy the supplier of processors for its Kindle tablet computer, Israeli financial newspaper Calcalist reported on Monday, a step toward vertical integration that could portend a push into smartphones.
- 19 Sep 2012:A Japanese court has delayed its ruling on two competing plans to restructure failed chipmaker Elpida Memory, a source with direct knowledge of the matter said.
- 6 Sep 2012:Elpida Memory said it opposes moves by a group of bondholders to block its sale to Micron Technology because it would interfere with an "entirely fair" reorganization.
- 5 Sep 2012:FormFactor will acquire MicroProbe, a provider of advanced SOC wafer test solutions, for US$100 million in cash and US$16.8 million in stock, subject to customary adjustments. The merger is expected to close in the first half of FormFactor's fiscal quarter ending December 29, 2012.
- 31 Aug 2012:US private equity firm KKR & Co has approached struggling Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics and its shareholders with an offer of investment, people with knowledge of the proposal said Wednesday.
- About 20 bondholders of Elpida Memory are negotiating with alternative sponsors to replace a takeover offer by Micron Technology they consider too low, a representative said.
- 24 Aug 2012:DesignArt, based in Israel, focuses on small-cell modem and system design for cellular base stations and high-speed wireless infrastructure.
- 21 Aug 2012:Elpida Memory, the bankrupt Japanese chipmaker being bought by Micron Technology, will get JPY280 billion (US$3.5 billion) in support from the US company, the Asahi newspaper said.
- 15 Aug 2012:On Tuesday, the group - Linden Advisors, LIM Advisors, Owl Creek Asset Management and Taconic Capital Advisors - reiterated its opposition to Micron Technology?�s US$2.5 billion offer for Elpida.
- 14 Aug 2012:Elpida bondholders said to argue Micron buyout bid too low (August 13) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Elpida Memory bondholders plan to tell a Tokyo court today that Micron Technology's takeover offer for the bankrupt Japanese memory-chip maker is too low, according to a person familiar with the matter.
- LitePoint integrates flexible PA/FEM testing in one chassis
- 'Smart IoT Testing for Wireless Future' – An enlightenment on IoT testing technologies, innovative applications, and new thinking
- Thunder: Custom and Big Data analysis layout solution
- IoT of tomorrow can change mankind
- Advantest joins with Malaysian OSAT Fabtronic and government group to establish first shared-services lab in Southeast Asia
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
Notebook vendor Acer aims to ship at least five million smartphones in 2015 and plans to hike the shipments...
The acquisition of Freescale by NXP Semiconductors will make NXP the world's second largest MCU supplier...
Competition in the graphics card market has grown fierce as demand for graphics cards from the gaming...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...