- 14 Dec 2011:Apple is reportedly going to use part of its enormous pile of cash to buy an Israeli fabless semiconductor company that specializes in flash storage solutions.
- 22 Nov 2011:
- 15 Nov 2011:SK Telecom to pay KRW3.4 trillion for Hynix to take on Samsung (November 14) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)SK Telecom has agreed to pay KRW3.4 trillion (US$3.1 billion) for 21% of Hynix Semiconductor.
- 10 Nov 2011:
- 9 Nov 2011:Olympus' admission that three of its top executives colluded to hide losses from investors fails to address the roles played by other officials, according to the company's biggest overseas shareholder.
- 4 Nov 2011:Prolific develops leading-edge IC design optimization software tools that significantly reduce development time and improve the performance of cell-based designs.
- 2 Nov 2011:A public-private fund that will acquire the small- and mid-size LCD operations of Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony will also buy a Panasonic factory for about JPY20 billion (US$255.5 million), Japanese business daily The Nikkei said.
- 1 Nov 2011:LSI will not limit the distribution of SandForce's flash chip controller technology, even to competitors, after its buyout of the company is completed. LSI's planned acquisition of SandForce was announced on October 26.
- 17 Oct 2011:Existing TI distributors to sell combined TI and National product portfolio (October 5) - Company releaseTI's authorized semiconductor distributors include Arrow, Avnet, WPG, WT Microelectronics, and so on.
- 14 Oct 2011:
- The completion of the acquisition also marks the official introduction of Skype as a new business division within Microsoft.
- 13 Oct 2011:Solar M&A activity in Q3 signals start of industry consolidation, says Mercom Capital (October 12) - PV-TechAccording to the latest quarterly report from Mercom Capital Group, M&A activity in the third quarter could signal the start of a period of consolidation within the PV industry. Mercom Capital reported that there was US$563 million spent in 20 M&A transactions in the quarter with details disclosed for only eight of these downstream market deals.
- 7 Oct 2011:Shares in the internet portal firm Yahoo have leapt 10% on rumours that Microsoft is considering a second attempt at a takeover.
- 6 Oct 2011:PLX's UK Design Team has built a reputation for designing innovative and reliable system-on-chip (SOC) solutions and the acquired engineering team's expertise provides OCZ with additional resources for controller design.
- 3 Oct 2011:Are Internet users in the US or Europe ready to entrust all their personal information to an online service controlled from China?
- 30 Sep 2011:Amkor to acquire Toshiba chip assembly and test operations in Malaysia (September 29) - Company releaseToshiba and Amkor Technology have announced that they have signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding for the acquisition by Amkor of Toshiba Electronics Malaysia, Toshiba's semiconductor assembly operation in Malaysia, together with a license to Amkor for certain related intellectual property rights.
- 29 Sep 2011:Atmel has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Advanced Digital Design, a Spain-based developer of power line communication solutions. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in October.
- 26 Sep 2011:TI will include National's contribution to financial performance in the company's third-quarter earnings announcement on October 24. TI's Analog semiconductor business now represents more than 50% of the company's revenues.
- 19 Sep 2011:Infineon sits on cash as main competitors 'aren't exciting' (September 19) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Infineon Technologies, flush with as much as US$3 billion in cash for acquisitions, is struggling to find an attractive target that would boost its most profitable business, power semiconductors.
- 13 Sep 2011:
- 8 Sep 2011:Integrated Device Technology (IDT) and Qualcomm have announced the signing of a definitive agreement to transfer the design team of IDT's Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) and Frame Rate Conversion (FRC) Video Processing product lines and certain related assets to Qualcomm.
- 7 Sep 2011:Research In Motion should explore transformational changes, including the breakup or sale of the company...
- 5 Sep 2011:Synopsys has completed the acquisition of nSys Design Systems, a provider of verification IP.
- 1 Sep 2011:IBM has announced a definitive agreement to acquire Algorithmics for US$387 million, subject to price adjustments at closing. Algorithmics is a risk analytics firm with operations in Toronto, Canada.
- 24 Aug 2011:"If you get a buyer who is a significant part of the ecosystem, in which they already play a part, it is likely that they would be excluding part of the market and therefore diminishing part of the value of ARM...
- MediaTek is looking at acquisition targets globally in a move to grow and acquire new technologies, its chief financial officer said in an interview with Dow Jones Newswires.
- Samsung Electronics said Wednesday that it has no intention of taking over Hewlett-Packard's personal computer business.
- 22 Aug 2011:Focusing on Bada may not be the answer, though. It seems as if the trend in the industry is to move from in-house proprietary platforms to more open models - look at Nokia's switch to the Windows Phone platform. With the struggles Nokia had in making Symbian a global success, I can't see how Samsung could do any better.
- 19 Aug 2011:A Wall Street analyst has predicted that Intel may acquire Micron Technology as the move would diversify its product offerings.
- 17 Aug 2011:Standard & Poor has downgraded Google's stock rating from "buy" to "sell" over a lack of confidence in the Motorola Mobility acquisition.
- 5 Aug 2011:Fusion-io announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire IO Turbine, a provider of caching solutions for virtual environments.
- 3 Aug 2011:Samsung Electronics has acquired Grandis, a maker of magnetic random access memory (MRAM) technology known as spin transfer torque (STT-RAM). Samsung said Grandis will be merged into its R&D operations "that are focused on developing the next evolution of memory, where new semiconductor materials and structures are reviewed for their long-term commercial value."
- 22 Jul 2011:As of the end of June 2011, it had US$76 billion in cash and investments. No tech company has more.
- 21 Jul 2011:Citing strong global smartphone adoption and the "expanded opportunities" afforded by its completed acquisition of Wi-Fi chipmaker Atheros, Qualcomm also raised its revenue and (non-GAAP) earnings guidance for the rest of the year.
- 14 Jul 2011:Nokia Siemens Networks will remain under the full ownership of Nokia and Siemens after buyout firms failed to come up with a compelling offer.
- 3 Jul 2011:Japan's Ricoh plans to acquire Pentax as part of a push to get into the digital single-lens reflex camera market, it said Friday.
- 20 Jun 2011:Skype Technologies, the Internet-calling service being bought by Microsoft, is firing senior executives before the deal closes, a move that reduces the value of their payout, according to three people familiar with the matter.
- 14 Jun 2011:Qualcomm has agreed to acquire substantially all of the assets of Rapid Bridge, a San Diego-based inventor of advanced techniques for the design and development of semiconductor products.
- GIGABYTE announces 'Feel the Force' OC contest winners
- Internet of Things to provide new business opportunities and enable business model changes
- Oracle Day 2013 Taipei Demonstrates B2B Mobile Marketing
- MOEA recognizes alliances between foreign and Taiwanese IT firms for creating new value
- Advantech Accelerates Intelligent Video Designs with Complete Solutions
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
Smartphone ODM Arima Communications has decided to expand its product lines to include tablets, smart...
OCZ Technology shifted its corporate focus away from legacy DRAM memory modules in 2011, and has since...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...