- 5 Sep 2012:FormFactor will acquire MicroProbe, a provider of advanced SOC wafer test solutions, for US$100 million in cash and US$16.8 million in stock, subject to customary adjustments. The merger is expected to close in the first half of FormFactor's fiscal quarter ending December 29, 2012.
- 31 Aug 2012:US private equity firm KKR & Co has approached struggling Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics and its shareholders with an offer of investment, people with knowledge of the proposal said Wednesday.
- About 20 bondholders of Elpida Memory are negotiating with alternative sponsors to replace a takeover offer by Micron Technology they consider too low, a representative said.
- 24 Aug 2012:DesignArt, based in Israel, focuses on small-cell modem and system design for cellular base stations and high-speed wireless infrastructure.
- 21 Aug 2012:Elpida Memory, the bankrupt Japanese chipmaker being bought by Micron Technology, will get JPY280 billion (US$3.5 billion) in support from the US company, the Asahi newspaper said.
- 15 Aug 2012:On Tuesday, the group - Linden Advisors, LIM Advisors, Owl Creek Asset Management and Taconic Capital Advisors - reiterated its opposition to Micron Technology?�s US$2.5 billion offer for Elpida.
- 14 Aug 2012:Elpida bondholders said to argue Micron buyout bid too low (August 13) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Elpida Memory bondholders plan to tell a Tokyo court today that Micron Technology's takeover offer for the bankrupt Japanese memory-chip maker is too low, according to a person familiar with the matter.
- 13 Aug 2012:Shares of AMD were buoyed nearly ten percent by rumors that Snapdragon master Qualcomm may be interested in acquiring the fabless chip company.
- 3 Aug 2012:A senior executive at Lenovo dismissed market speculation that the company was interested in buying struggling Finnish cellphone maker Nokia as a "joke."
- 30 Jul 2012:Apple agrees to buy AuthenTec for about US$350 million in cash (July 27) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)The deal may hurt Samsung Electronics, which last week said it would start using AuthenTec's technology in new devices. Samsung is unlikely to continue with plans to use AuthenTec under Apple's ownership.
- 23 Jul 2012:Analysts said an OCZ acquisition would boost Seagate's margins and help it establish a firmer foothold in the lucrative enterprise segment, where SSDs are gaining popularity.
- 11 Jul 2012:A group of Elpida Memory bondholders will vote against Micron Technology's plan to acquire the bankrupt Japanese chipmaker for about US$750 million, arguing that it undervalues the company's assets, a court filing shows.
- 3 Jul 2012:
- 29 Jun 2012:Micron Technology will purchase failed DRAM manufacturer Elpida Memory Inc., The Nikkei reported early Friday. The acquisition price is estimated at 200 billion yen.
- 19 Jun 2012:Qualcomm has acquired Summit Microelectronics, a developer and provider of programmable power ICs. Qualcomm's power management roadmap will be significantly enhanced with the addition of Summit's expertise and products.
- 13 Jun 2012:Microsoft and Samsung continue to fend off rumors that they have any intention of purchasing cell phone maker Nokia.
- 12 Jun 2012:Chipmaker Cypress Semiconductor has offered to buy smaller rival Ramtron International for about US$87.6 million in cash, revamping a bid it made last year.
- 11 Jun 2012:Shares of Nokia rose more than 7% Friday on speculation Samsung Electronics might be eyeing a takeover.
- 4 Jun 2012:Micron may ask creditors of the financially troubled Elpida Memory to forgive more than US$3.8 billion in debt.
- 24 Apr 2012:Facebook is paying Microsoft US$550 million for some of the patents it recently bought from AOL.
- 17 Apr 2012:
- 13 Apr 2012:MIPS Technologies is looking for a buyer, according to people with knowledge of the decision.
- 11 Apr 2012:Facebook has announced plans to acquire Instagram, a photo-sharing app for mobile devices, for approximately US$1 billion.
- 26 Mar 2012:
- 21 Mar 2012:Global chipmaker Broadcom has reportedly acquired Israeli startup BroadLight for at least US$200 million, two Israeli newspapers report Tuesday.
- 18 Mar 2012:STMicroelectronics should persuade Ericsson that they sell off their mobile chip joint venture ST-Ericsson, but probably to some aspiring Chinese company. That is likely to produce the quickest and most profitable - or least loss-making - exit for the two parent companies from what has become a failed project.
- 23 Feb 2012:
- 22 Feb 2012:Walmart is taking a 51% stake in Yihaodian, a leading Chinese e-commerce website, in a significant move by the US retailer to boost its online presence in China.
- 21 Feb 2012:SanDisk has extended its enterprise solid state disk drive (SSD) solutions portfolio with the acquisition of FlashSoft, a provider of innovative caching software products.
- 14 Feb 2012:Apple has filed a suit in San Diego federal court accusing Motorola of breaching its licensing agreement with Qualcomm over a chip used in the iPhone 4S.
- 30 Jan 2012:Micron Technology and Virtensys have announced that the companies have signed an agreement for Micron to acquire the assets of privately held Virtensys, a provider of PCIe-sharing solutions based in Manchester, England and Beaverton, Ore.
- Qualcomm has acquired display startup Pixtronix, which develops technology applicable to smartphone and tablet screens.
- MagnaChip Semiconductor announced that its Korean subsidiary has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Dawin Electronics, a privately held semiconductor company that designs and manufactures Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT), Fast Recovery Diode (FRD) and MOSFET modules.
- 20 Jan 2012:Samsung spokesman James Chung said that his company has not "considered acquiring" RIM and is "not interested" in buying the BlackBerry maker. He added that neither company approached the other to try to create an acquisition deal.
- 12 Jan 2012:Apple confirmed Wednesday that it has acquired Israeli semiconductor company Anobit technologies for US$390 million, providing it with significant technological boost in the mobile devices market.
- 7 Jan 2012:The Finnish handset giant scooped up Smarterphone, a small Norwegian company that has an operating system designed for more basic cell phones known in the industry as feature phones. The acquisition was disclosed by Smarterphone's Nordic investor parent, Ferd Capital. A Nokia representative confirmed the acquisition but declined to comment further on what it means for the company.
- 29 Dec 2011:China's Alibaba Group has hired a US lobbying firm, fuelling further speculation that it is preparing a bid for Yahoo.
- 28 Dec 2011:AT&T purchased 700MHz spectrum licenses covering more than 300 million people for approximately US$1.9 billion.
- 23 Dec 2011:Smartphones are relatively new, but will likely follow the path of more mature electronics industries, in which "you typically see large cross-licensing agreements between the big players because they've all got lots of patents the others are infringing."
- 21 Dec 2011:The acquisition is one of the most expensive for Apple since it acquired NeXT in 1996 - 15 years ago to the day, in fact-and should cement the company's strategic shift to solid-state flash storage for its products.
- AZUL Design provides integrated services for UI/UX and program design in Asia Pacific
- Universal Stylus Initiative launched to create a specification for an active stylus
- ASRock Rack presents the high specification EP2C612D24
- IoT Gateways Bridge Last Mile Connectivity Gap
- Clientron to exhibit its latest Thin Client and POS solutions along with the full product line at Computex Taipei 2015
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Is Japan losing its influence in global semiconductor market?, asks IC Insights
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo smartphone shipments reach only 8-9 million units in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments drop over 30% sequentially in 1Q15 as small regional vendors suffer
Through intensified cooperation with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and MediaTek,...
Taiwan-based crystalline silicon solar cell makers have been impacted by the US imposing an average...
The IC backend service industry was capped by a flurry of merger and acquisition (M&A) activities...
Macronix International, which ranks as the world's second-largest NOR flash supplier with a 19% share...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...