- 13 Aug 2009:"During the boom, there were significant capacity increases. There were also, by the way, significant announcements of capacity that may or may not have happened..."
- 12 Aug 2009:India expects one trillion rupees (US$21 billion) of investments over a five-year period ending March 2012 for renewable-power generation, according to the chairman of Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency.
- 11 Aug 2009:China's exports and new loans tumbled in July and industrial output rose less than estimates, underscoring government concern that the economy is yet to establish a solid recovery.
- 10 Aug 2009:China will maintain its current macroeconomic policy stance aimed at bolstering domestic spending as the nation continues to experience fallout from the global recession, Premier Wen Jiabao said.
- 7 Aug 2009:China is on its way to becoming a solar power - with financial incentives coming from every corner of the country - but a lack of experienced project developers and equipment installers may cast a shadow over the growing industry.
- Elpida Memory may sign up today (August 7) with the Development Bank of Japan, becoming eligible for about 30 billion yen (US$314 million) in government aid, Nikkei English News said.
- 5 Aug 2009:The Chinese authorities in July predicted 8% growth for 2009, thanks to a four trillion yuan (US$585 billion) economic stimulus plan. But the global downturn has still put millions of Chinese out of work.
- 17 Jul 2009:Beijing now expects China to achieve 8% growth for 2009 as a whole, which compares with a predicted contraction of between 1% and 1.5% in the US. However, the Chinese government warned that some economic challenges remain.
- Experts at Semicon West 2009 were in broad agreement that the industry must change its business model in the face of global recession and ever-advancing R&D costs.
- 15 Jul 2009:Governments across Asia have launched massive stimulus packages focused on renewable energy in recent months, and some analysts think the new infusion of cash could reshape a solar industry reeling from the economic downturn.
- 1 Jul 2009:Japanese chipmaker Elpida was thrown a 160-billion-yen (US$1.7 billion) financial lifeline on June 30, including public funds, to help it survive the economic downturn, officials said.
- Japan has passed the worst of its current slump and is on course for growth in its next fiscal year, but the recovery of the world's second-largest economy could yet prove vulnerable, Kaoru Yosano, finance minister, has warned. The comment came just before a survey showed that business confidence had risen for the first time in two and a half years.
- China's manufacturing expanded for a fourth month as a 4 trillion yuan (US$585 billion) stimulus plan and record bank lending revive the world's third-largest economy.
- 30 Jun 2009:Elpida Memory will receive 50 billion yen (US$521 million) from the Japanese government and a Taiwanese partner after falling semiconductor prices led to a net loss last fiscal year, Japan's economy ministry said.
- 29 Jun 2009:Japanese PC chip maker Elpida Memory will receive financial support of about 200 billion yen ($2.1 billion) from the government and public and private sector banks, the Nikkei business daily said on Saturday.
- 25 Jun 2009:Struggling chip maker Elpida Memory has applied for a new government financial aid program in a bid to shore up its capital base and ride out a severe industry downturn, sources said.
- 19 Jun 2009:Elpida Memory is still considering applying for a public funds injection, a company spokeswoman said Friday.
- 18 Jun 2009:China, which has criticized protectionist moves elsewhere, is pushing ahead with efforts to ensure that its gargantuan economic stimulus package benefits domestic firms.
- President Barack Obama has faced new concerns among the American public about the budget deficit and government intervention in the economy as he works to enact ambitious health and energy legislation, a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll finds.
- The World Bank has raised its forecast for growth in China this year from 6.5% to 7.2% amid signs that the economy is doing better than expected.
- Canadian Solar plans to boost its annual production capacity from 620 megawatts to 800 MW by end-August, to meet an expected surge in demand, according to company president and CEO Shawn Qu.
- 16 Jun 2009:Beijing is expected to unveil subsidized prices for solar power production as soon as the second half of the year, the South China Morning Post reported on Monday, citing an industry official.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that politicians needed to consider whether to aid struggling chipmaker Qimonda and its peers in Germany.
- 12 Jun 2009:Call them philanthropic or just call them smart investors, the bottom line is that Google wants to provide an alternate solution to the greenhouse gases of laden coal power generation in the US.
- 11 Jun 2009:A senior Chinese official has said China wants to produce one-fifth of its energy needs from renewable sources by 2020, a significant increase on the current target.
- 5 Jun 2009:The economic slowdown could last five to 10 years and cost trillions of dollars, a top US economist has warned. He is urging the US government to introduce a second stimulus package of $500bn to boost the economy.
- 4 Jun 2009:Solar power leaders remain hopeful in what could be a huge upturn in US solar demand, but continue to be careful about the rest of 2009 after being hit hard from the global credit predicament.
- 3 Jun 2009:China said it will introduce a preferential tariff it will pay energy companies that use solar power for their generating capacity, as part of the government's push for greater use of clean technology.
- Geithner said the two countries had already demonstrated they could co-operate in laying a foundation for economic recovery.
- Optimists argue that the government's loose credit and fiscal policies have succeeded in staving off the worst of the economic downturn. However, there are growing concerns about the impact of these policies on the public finances.
- Pioneering Taiwan industry leader Morris Chang says better focus is needed. "I think that the Chinese side is still intent on building their own integrated supply chain. They are assisting their design companies and their foundries. It's such a shortsighted policy..."
- 1 Jun 2009:President Obama said on May 27 that he will use US$467 million in economic-stimulus money for initiatives that in two years will double the country's capacity for clean, renewable energy.
- The SEMI PV Group has recommended that China should accelerate its adoption of PV-generated electricity to reach the global average by 2014.
- 22 May 2009:Industry chieftains at the Reuters Global Technology Summit have debated the impact of the Obama administration's tax policies and bailout. Some railed against attempts to chip away at the deficit by cracking down on offshore tax havens. Others say a heavy government hand will hurt competitiveness at a time hardware and software firms are slugging it out for a slice of a stagnant pie.
- 18 May 2009:China's unprecedented growth in recent years has come at a terrible price. Ahead of most forecasts, China in 2008 passed the US to become the world's largest source of greenhouse gases.
- 15 May 2009:"It looks to me now as if the markets are now pricing in a rapid recovery, that they're pricing in a V-shaped recession, which I consider extremely unlikely," said Krugman at a forum in Shanghai on May 12.
- 14 May 2009:As more banks raise money to repay bailout loans, that means big fees for Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Morgan Stanley.
- 12 May 2009:China's consumer prices fell by 1.5% in the year to April, figures show, the third consecutive month of declines.
- 6 May 2009:The manufacturing sector in the US continues to shrink ?X but could the renewable-energy rush spur a manufacturing revival?
- 5G Asia 2016 breakfast briefing hosted by F5
- JJPLUS leads the way in creating a new wireless charging ecosystem
- ABB to divest cable business to NKT Cables
- Smart mobile video systems for police patrol cars, a state-of-the-art technology
- OEM servers featuring Aptio V UEFI firmware support for Diablo technologies' Memory1 module shipping now
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...