- 6 Dec 2012:Apple shares tumbled more than 6% on December 5, chalking up their biggest single-day loss in four years as fears grow about intensifying competition in the mobile device market.
- 3 Dec 2012:OmniVision Technologies' fiscal second-quarter profit dropped 50% as high manufacturing costs pressured the chip maker's margins, masking a jump in revenue.
- 22 Nov 2012:Apple is exploring ways to replace Intel processors in its Mac PCs with a version of the chip technology it uses in the iPhone and iPad, according to people familiar with the company's research.
- There's some irony in the notion that the next big new thing for Apple isn't a long-rumored smart television or long-awaited touchscreen Macs or even lower-price iPhones or iPads. It's a business deal. Investors polled by Morgan Stanley said that Apple getting the go-ahead to sell iPhones through China Mobile.
- 12 Nov 2012:Samsung has made no secret of the fact that it provides a number of the key components inside Apple's flagship iPhone and iPad devices, even while actively competing against them with its own Galaxy line of Android competitors. A major change in that relationship has now been reported out of Korea, however, where the Chosun Ilbo says Samsung has increased the price of manufacturing Apple's application processor by nearly 20%.
- 12 Oct 2012:The US Court of Appeals has overturned a ban on sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus phone, in a blow to Apple in the ongoing battle between the two rivals.
- 25 Sep 2012:
- 17 Sep 2012:
- 13 Sep 2012:TrendForce believes that, for the A6 and A7 chips, Apple will just as likely turn to Globalfoundries and Intel, which currently provides the Core i processors for Apple's notebooks. The ultimate choice will likely narrow down to whose products fits or performs up to Apple's product standards.
- 11 Sep 2012:
- 8 Sep 2012:Apple instead picked Japan's Toshiba, Elpida Memory and Korea's SK Hynix to supply DRAM and NAND chips.
- 5 Sep 2012:The invite says only "It's almost here," with a shadowed "5" underneath the September 12 date.
- 4 Sep 2012:Samsung has accused Apple of resorting to litigation in an effort to limit consumer choice after the iPhone maker said it was seeking to stop the sale of Galaxy S3 smartphones in the US.
- 24 Aug 2012:LG Display's chief executive said the company this month started mass producing so-called in-cell panels, a new display technology that is widely expected to be used in Apple's next iPhone.
- 22 Aug 2012:As Apple's stock rose to new high on Monday (August 20), the technology giant set another record: It became the most valuable public company in history.
- 13 Aug 2012:
- 2 Aug 2012:"Shipments will start in August," Sharp's new president, Takashi Okuda, said at a press briefing in Tokyo on Thursday after the company released its latest quarterly earnings.
- 25 Jul 2012:ARM, whose chip designs power Apple's iPhone, said second-quarter revenue climbed 15% beating analysts' estimates, even as some customers delayed orders.
- 24 Jul 2012:
- 19 Jul 2012:Qualcomm has lowered its forecast of global cellular device shipments for 2012 due to a gloomy economic outlook, though it expects device sales to surge in the fourth quarter because of upcoming products, a likely reference to Apple's iPhone and Microsoft's Windows 8 tablets.
- 29 Jun 2012:
- 19 Jun 2012:A former AT&T employee admitted on Monday to sharing company secrets such as sales numbers for Apple's iPhone to traders who illegally bought shares on the information.
- Apple and Samsung garner 50% of global smartphone market and 90% of its profits (June 15) - ABI ResearchAlthough smartphone shipments grew 41% year-over-year to 144.6 million as of the quarter ending March 2012, many smartphone OEMs are not enjoying the benefits of a rapidly expanding market. The question remains: can anyone break away to become a strong third in this market?
- 12 Jun 2012:
- 31 May 2012:The California trial between Samsung and Apple is now headed for a scheduled start in late June, after the companies could find "no clear agreement," a Samsung official told The Korea Times. Both companies reportedly held firm in their respective beliefs, as Samsung believes Apple should pay royalties for using wireless transmission technology, while Apple believes Samsung copied the design of its iPhone and iPad.
- 8 May 2012:
- 2 Apr 2012:Samsung's widely rumoured Galaxy S3 will come with a high resolution display that will rival Apple's iPhone. (March 29)
- 16 Mar 2012:Samsung was dealt another blow in its patent battle against Apple this week after a court in the Netherlands ruled that Samsung is not allowed to pursue injunctions on "essential" patents if Cupertino is willing to negotiate a licensing deal.
- 29 Feb 2012:Qualcomm has announced the next generation of its Gobi line of wireless modems-on-a-chip.
- 17 Feb 2012:Apple's share of China's booming smartphone market slipped for a second straight quarter in October-December, as it lost ground to cheaper local brands and as some shoppers held off until after the iPhone 4S launch last month.
- 14 Feb 2012:Apple has filed a suit in San Diego federal court accusing Motorola of breaching its licensing agreement with Qualcomm over a chip used in the iPhone 4S.
- 17 Jan 2012:Audience, a maker of sound processing chips used in Apple products, plans to raise as much as US$75 million in an initial public offering.
- 13 Jan 2012:Apple has said it will halt the sale of all iPhone models from its stores in China, after large crowds disrupted the launch of the iPhone 4S.
- 28 Dec 2011:
- 20 Dec 2011:It is not that Apple's iPhones and iPads are losing favour among Chinese consumers. The iconic products are flying off the shelves at Apple's five flagship stores in Shanghai and Beijing, unauthorized sellers, and even from fake shops dressed up to look eerily like the real thing.
- Apple is famous for relying on low-cost Asian manufacturers to both source and assemble its popular gadgets, but the consumer device giant recently started receiving a critical component in its iPad and iPhones from closer to home - Texas.
- 8 Dec 2011:
- Apple's 4S topped the list at all major carriers offering the device in the US, while the Samsung Galaxy S2 took the crown at T-Mobile. The S2 also came in second at Sprint and AT&T, sandwiched in between Apple's 4S and iPhone 4, while the Motorola Droid Razr and HTC Rezound rounded out the top three at Verizon, where the S2 is not sold.
- 28 Nov 2011:Apple is well ahead of rivals in building brand loyalty among its users in a mobile market where the key brands are rushing to build as large a foothold as possible, a study by research firm GfK showed.
- Indium Corporation features ultra-low residue no-clean Flip-Chip Flux at SEMICON Taiwan
- Indium Corporation's patented BiAgX: A drop-in replacement for high-Pb solders
- Echoing Government's Productivity 4.0, IoT Automation Boosts Taiwan's Competitiveness
- ASUS selects Pixelworks' Iris mobile display processor and True Clarity enhancements for ZenPad tablet
- Etasis promotes new 350W 1U slim redundant power supply to market
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Tablets with phone functionality from white-box players to suffer over 15% decline in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: Intel 28nm SoFIA 4G AP delayed to early 2016; may face overlap issue with 14nm version
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Silicon providers main beneficiaries of enthusiast PC growth; opportunities exist for vendors to raise profits with innovative products, says HWinsights
- Zoom Storage looking to become media library for mobile device users
- AMD unveils sixth-generation A-series APUs for mobile products
- Computex 2015: Startup company Endless pushing PC for developing countries
- Computex 2015: Nvidia unveils GTX 980 Ti and G-Sync technology
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
Competition in the graphics card market has grown fierce as demand for graphics cards from the gaming...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
Computex has evolved into one of the biggest and most important ICT trade shows in the world since...
Although the company has not been operating in the gaming notebook industry for long, Gigabyte Technology...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...