- 23 Dec 2011:"Our industry moves fast and changes faster. And so the way we communicate with our customers must change in equally speedy ways..."
- 22 Dec 2011:Micron Technology has posted a net loss of US$187 million, or US$0.19 per diluted share, on net sales of US$2.1 billion for the company's first quarter of fiscal 2012 (ended December 1, 2011).
- 21 Dec 2011:Samsung offers Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for Galaxy devices (December 20) - Company releaseSamsung Electronics has revealed plans to provide the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update for Galaxy devices. The platform update for Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note will start in the first quarter 2012, and other Galaxy devices will soon follow.
- 15 Dec 2011:
- 12 Dec 2011:Panasonic will expand its smartphone business beyond its home country of Japan, starting with Europe in March 2012, the electronics giant said today.
- 10 Dec 2011:Micron Technology is seeking Taiwanese partners to supply solid-state drive (SSD) controller chips to cope with the company's expansion in NAND memory chips in 2012, an executive said yesterday.
- Worldwide semiconductor revenues are forecast to reach US$309 billion in 2012, a 2.2% increase from 2011, according to Gartner. This outlook is down from Gartner's previous projection in the third quarter for 4.6% growth in 2012.
- 6 Dec 2011:Hynix Semiconductor has set around KRW4 trillion (US$3.5 billion) for its 2012 capital expenditure, up 18% from the KRW3.4 trillion set for this year, an online news provider Edaily reported Thursday, citing industry sources.
- 1 Dec 2011:The challenging market conditions faced by all PV manufacturers in 2011 have led to many claiming poor visibility into business expectations next year. In recent third quarter conference calls many tier 1 suppliers refrained from giving any 2012 insight, with guidance provided near or during fourth quarter financial results early next year.
- 28 Nov 2011:
- 24 Nov 2011:Subject to approval, the final day of trading of Nokia shares on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange is estimated to be during the first half of 2012.
- 22 Nov 2011:
- 21 Nov 2011:"This is going to take a lot longer than people are assuming, until the end of 2012 at least..."
- 17 Nov 2011:ARM expects the semiconductor industry to grow by "a few percent" in 2012, but its licensing growth will be slower after an exceptionally strong year in 2011, its senior executive said on Thursday.
- Nokia is planning to launch a Windows-running tablet during the summer of 2012, the head of Nokia France said in an interview with a French newspaper.
- Apple's move to standardize on Qualcomm baseband chips will be helpful in bringing LTE to the iPhone and iPad in 2012 thanks to Qualcomm's next-generation mobile device modem chips. The company announced recently that updated chips with integrated LTE and 3G support will offer greater power efficiency for mobile devices, a sticking point that has so far kept Apple from offering compatibility with high-speed LTE networks.
- 16 Nov 2011:Infineon forecasts lower 2012 sales as customers hold back (November 16) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Infineon Technologies has said sales in fiscal 2012 will drop by a "mid-single-digit percentage" as customers hold off on orders.
- 14 Nov 2011:Samsung Electronics plans to invest a record KRW38 trillion (US$34 billion) in 2012, sharply up from around KRW30 trillion this year, local online news provider Edaily reported Wednesday, citing unnamed industry sources.
- 12 Nov 2011:Globalfoundries has postponed its plan to start building the Gulf's first microprocessor-fabrication plant in Abu Dhabi next year.
- 11 Nov 2011:ARM has said that co-founder and President Tudor Brown will retire in May 2012 after helping turn the firm into a dominant mobile processor company.
- 8 Nov 2011:Enterprise IT spending will stagger and fall this year but may back on one leg in 2012 despite swingeing public sector cuts and the looming Eurozone financial catastrophe.
- 4 Nov 2011:The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) board of directors has elected Freescale Semiconductor CEO Rich Beyer as its 2012 chairman.
- 3 Nov 2011:
- 31 Oct 2011:Samsung Electronics' president expects Thailand floods to further hit the computer memory chip market by hurting PC production until the first quarter of 2012.
- 24 Oct 2011:Japanese electronics maker Panasonic will scale back domestic semiconductor output by the end of March 2012 and cut about 1,000 jobs, reflecting its recent move to reduce TV panel production, the Nikkei business daily said.
- 14 Oct 2011:Sony Ericsson broke even in its third quarter and announced it will solely focus on smartphones from next year.
- 31 Aug 2011:In the latest look down its road map, Globalfoundries claims it is shipping thousands of 32nm wafers a week, gearing up multiple 28nm offerings for 2012 and planning first customer tape outs using a planar 20nm process at the end of next year.
- 29 Aug 2011:Apple's latest chip technology won't appear in the next-generation iPad until June 2012 at the earliest, according to a firm that tracks the mobile processor industry.
- 19 Aug 2011:
- 4 Aug 2011:Toshiba is planning to withdraw from its mobile phone joint venture with Fujitsu in the first half of 2012, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported Wednesday.
- 3 Aug 2011:While global semiconductor revenue is projected to expand by 7.2% in 2011, Walden Rhines, chairman and CEO of EDA vendor Mentor Graphics, sounds a note of caution about maintaining this growth in 2012.
- 24 Jun 2011:Nokia said the staff reductions will happen in phases until the end of 2012 and all the employees concerned can remain with the company until the end of 2011. Nokia previously said it plans to reduce its Finnish workforce by 1,400 people.
- 23 Jun 2011:
- 30 May 2011:Samsung's total capacity is expected to be eight million 4-inch OLED panels per month by the end of 2011. But the display maker is also said to have delayed investments for larger screen sizes of 6 inches to 9 inches until 2012.
- 23 May 2011:Chip manufacturing firm Globalfoundries will begin construction of a new manufacturing plant in Abu Dhabi next year, the majority stakeholder of the company said on Friday.
- 20 May 2011:
- 19 May 2011:Order Focus: GT Solar makes record-breaking polysilicon production equipment sale (May 18) - PV-TechGT Solar International has received the largest order to date for its polysilicon production equipment from South Korean firm OCI.
- GMobi shifting gears aiming for automotive market
- Taiwan Pavilion features innovative smart Taiwan at MWC Shanghai
- Open innovation platform helps shape the landscape of IoT applications
- Institute for information industry and open connectivity foundation join forces to enable global IoT market opportunities for Taiwan-based vendors
- USB-IF promotes USB Type-C connectors to enhance performance and user experience
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
The launch of virtual reality headsets for the consumer market and the increasing demand for ultra...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...