- 6 Jun 2012:Call it the tweet that launched a thousand cries of sexism. Electronics company Asus tweeted, then deleted, a photo showing a woman demonstrating one of its products at Computex 2012. The caption of the picture, taken from behind and showcasing the woman's backside, read, "The rear looks pretty nice. So does the new Transformer AIO."
- 30 May 2012:Standalone versus integrated dilemma is major theme of US$37 billion mobile handset semiconductor market (May 25) - ABI ResearchRevenues for core semiconductor components used in mobile handsets, including platform ICs and wireless connectivity ICs, are expected to reach almost US$37 billion per annum in 2012.
- 24 May 2012:Spansion's five-year technology roadmap includes 1Gb-8Gb SLC NAND solutions on 4Xnm technology today, 3Xnm technology by end of 2012 and 2Xnm in 2014.
- 18 May 2012:
- 10 May 2012:Its semiconductor unit ATIC had an accumulated deficit of 4.1 billion dirhams (US$1.12 billion)as of the end of 2011 and made losses in the past two years, Mubadala said in the filing. "No assurance is given that ATIC will be profitable in 2012 or in subsequent years," Mubadala said.
- 8 May 2012:Toshiba has predicted profit will rise 83% as sales recover from a slump caused by the strong yen, falling prices and natural disasters.
- 3 May 2012:Unemployment in the eurozone reached a record high again in March 2012 as spending cuts continued to hit the working population.
- 17 Apr 2012:Barclays Capital is raising its total lithography units forecast by more than 10 systems, from 234 to 251 in 2012. As many as 260 litho tools could be purchased for semiconductor manufacturing, as foundries are seeing high demand for 28nm chips.
- 16 Apr 2012:
- 6 Apr 2012:Samsung Electronics has said it expects its profit for the first three months of 2012 to almost double as its smartphone sales continue to grow. While Samsung's phone unit has prospered, other divisions, including memory chip manufacturing, have been going through a tough time.
- 19 Mar 2012:"It is likely that it will be raised, but we can't confirm until April 26" when the company's quarterly investor conference will be held, Elizabeth Sun, a spokeswoman for the Hsinchu, Taiwan-based company, said by phone today, without commenting on the size of the increase.
- 16 Mar 2012:Despite an amended wafer supply agreement that gives AMD the right to use other foundries to make its 28nm accelerated processing units (APUs), Globalfoundries expects AMD to increase its business with the firm in 2012.
- 5 Mar 2012:Advanced Micro Devices has said it agreed to a negotiated wafer price mechanism with Globalfoundries for 2012 and also agreed to transfer its remaining ownership interest in that company to the firm itself.
- 23 Feb 2012:
- 21 Feb 2012:Flash memory vendor SanDisk is looking for a director of processing engineering management for a 3-D resistive RAM team based in Milpitas. A job ad for the position was posted in SanDisk's website dated Feb. 15, 2012.
- 20 Feb 2012:Konica Minolta IJ Technologies has announced that is has developed a silicon MEMS-based inkjet printhead for printed electronics applications. It is due to begin sampling in the second quarter of 2012.
- 10 Feb 2012:China's exports and imports both fell in January 2012, raising fresh concerns about the impact of a global slowdown on its economy.
- 6 Feb 2012:In its China Economic Outlook report released Monday, the IMF said China's growth rate, which stood at 9.2% last year, would drop abruptly if the euro zone experienced a sharp recession.
- The US economy created 243,000 jobs in January 2012, the highest total for nine months, official figures show.
- 20 Jan 2012:Dutch semiconductor equipment maker ASML said Wednesday it expects a healthy start to 2012, as its customers invest in chip production to drive faster and more powerful smartphones and tablets.
- 17 Jan 2012:2012 could bring a big boost to the category thanks to LEDs (light emitting diodes) - those long-lasting, energy-efficient and often colorful gems that are quickly replacing the disgraced incandescent.
- South Korea's Samsung Group announced it would invest a record 47.8 trillion won (US$41.56 billion) this year and hire an all-time high of 26,000 new employees despite global economic gloom.
- 11 Jan 2012:For years, Nokia has led all handset vendors in unit shipments. But this year (2012), Samsung believes it can change that.
- 10 Jan 2012:Globalfoundries and IBM have announced an agreement to jointly manufacture advanced computer chips at both companies' semiconductor fabs in New York's "Tech Valley." The new products recently began initial production at IBM's 300mm fab in East Fishkill and Globalfoundries' Fab 8 in Saratoga County, and are planned to ramp to volume production in the second half of 2012.
- 9 Jan 2012:Hard disk drive supplier Seagate Technology has provided a financial update, reiterating that demand for HDD units will exceed supply in 2012 in the wake of flooding last year in Thailand.
- 6 Jan 2012:After several years of rapid capacity expansion driven by high-brightness LED used in TV backlighting applications, a 40% decline in world metal organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) purchases in 2012 will reduce overall LED equipment spending for the first time in over five years.
- 4 Jan 2012:The world's top maker of memory chips and smartphones is set to report a robust quarterly profit rise on Friday, starting 2012 on an upbeat note aided by record-smashing sales of smartphones.
- Samsung, Hyundai tell workers to brace for economic uncertainty (January 3) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Samsung Electronics and Hyundai Motor, South Korea's largest companies, told employees to brace for intense competition in a weak global economy as the government called for contingency planning.
- 2 Jan 2012:But he said that the biggest goal was stability, and that aid-for-disarmament talks could resume if Pyongyang halted its nuclear activities.
- 29 Dec 2011:Rohm is scheduled to resume full-scale production of all products affected by the flooding in Thailand on January 1, 2012.
- 28 Dec 2011:
- 27 Dec 2011:
- 26 Dec 2011:
- 23 Dec 2011:
- "Our industry moves fast and changes faster. And so the way we communicate with our customers must change in equally speedy ways..."
- 22 Dec 2011:Micron Technology has posted a net loss of US$187 million, or US$0.19 per diluted share, on net sales of US$2.1 billion for the company's first quarter of fiscal 2012 (ended December 1, 2011).
- 21 Dec 2011:Samsung offers Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for Galaxy devices (December 20) - Company releaseSamsung Electronics has revealed plans to provide the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update for Galaxy devices. The platform update for Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note will start in the first quarter 2012, and other Galaxy devices will soon follow.
- GIGABYTE announces 'Feel the Force' OC contest winners
- Internet of Things to provide new business opportunities and enable business model changes
- MOEA recognizes alliances between foreign and Taiwanese IT firms for creating new value
- Advantech Accelerates Intelligent Video Designs with Complete Solutions
- Innovation through Partnership to Make IoT a Reality
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
Smartphone ODM Arima Communications has decided to expand its product lines to include tablets, smart...
OCZ Technology shifted its corporate focus away from legacy DRAM memory modules in 2011, and has since...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...