- 19 Jun 2012:Samsung Electronics' new CEO called for the company to redouble its focus on software, which could hint at a move away from Android and toward its own proprietary operating system.
- Samsung Electronics' new chief executive on Monday reiterated the need for the company to beef up its software competence in order to maintain its leading position in the technology industry.
- 15 Jun 2012:Japan's NEC will not provide a fresh capital injection to support loss-making chipmaker Renesas Electronics, a senior NEC executive said in a newspaper interview.
- 11 Jun 2012:Shares of Nokia rose more than 7% Friday on speculation Samsung Electronics might be eyeing a takeover.
- 6 Jun 2012:Multinational semiconductor companies are no longer able to compete with China's fabless chips vendors in the consumer electronics IC business, according to Vincent Tai, CEO of RDA Microelectronics. "It's game over" for them, Tai asserted in a recent interview.
- Call it the tweet that launched a thousand cries of sexism. Electronics company Asus tweeted, then deleted, a photo showing a woman demonstrating one of its products at Computex 2012. The caption of the picture, taken from behind and showcasing the woman's backside, read, "The rear looks pretty nice. So does the new Transformer AIO."
- 31 May 2012:
- 30 May 2012:Panasonic is mulling fresh job losses on top of 17,000 recent lay-offs as the Japanese electronics conglomerate looks to engineer a profit rebound, a source said.
- 22 May 2012:Loss-making Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics plans to cut 6,000 jobs, about 15% of its workforce, and raise JPY50 billion (US$630 million) through a third-party share allotment, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported on Tuesday.
- 20 May 2012:Samsung Electronics has started producing the industry's first 4Gb, low power double-data-rate 2 (LPDDR2) memory utilising 20nm class technology.
- 26 Apr 2012:LG Electronics Inc. posted its first profit in three quarters, beating expectations thanks to a revival in its mobile business and demand for high-end TVs.
- 13 Apr 2012:Samsung Electronics probably overtook Nokia as the top handset seller for the first time, helped by the popularity of the Galaxy smartphones, according to analyst estimates.
- 6 Apr 2012:Lextar Electronics Corp., an LED subsidiary of LCD maker AU Optronics Corp. (AUO), will target Europe, North America and Japan with the LED bulbs it recently rolled out as direct replacements for 40W and 75W incandescent bulbs.
- Samsung Electronics has said it expects its profit for the first three months of 2012 to almost double as its smartphone sales continue to grow. While Samsung's phone unit has prospered, other divisions, including memory chip manufacturing, have been going through a tough time.
- 5 Apr 2012:Intel and Qualcomm have provided US lawyers with source code that will help prove Apple isn't infringing patents of Samsung Electronics, an Australian lawyer for the maker of iPhones said.
- 21 Mar 2012:
- 20 Mar 2012:Chang-Sik Choi, former executive vice president of Samsung Electronics, has been named president and CEO while Chan-Hee Lee, former executive vice president of MagnaChip Semiconductor, has been named president in charge of Dongbu HiTek's foundry business.
- 16 Mar 2012:Pragmatus files new 337 complaint regarding certain consumer electronics (March 15) - ITC 337 Law BlogPatent holding company Pragmatus has filed an ITC compaint against six electronics vendors including Samsung and HTC.
- 21 Feb 2012:The chairman of South Korean electronics giant Samsung is being sued by his brother over a multi-million dollar inheritance of company shares.
- 20 Feb 2012:Konica Minolta IJ Technologies has announced that is has developed a silicon MEMS-based inkjet printhead for printed electronics applications. It is due to begin sampling in the second quarter of 2012.
- 1 Feb 2012:Toshiba and Fujitsu booked deep losses during the October-December quarter, blaming a spike in component costs caused by Thai flooding and a tough market for consumer electronics. Both companies slashed their earnings targets for the current fiscal year through March, but said they are still on track to book an annual profit.
- 30 Jan 2012:MagnaChip Semiconductor announced that its Korean subsidiary has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Dawin Electronics, a privately held semiconductor company that designs and manufactures Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT), Fast Recovery Diode (FRD) and MOSFET modules.
- 17 Jan 2012:"It's inevitable Intel will get a few smartphone design wins - we regard Intel as a serious competitor," said ARM CEO Warren East in an interview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. "Are they ever going to be the leaders in power efficiency? No, of course not. But they have a lot more to offer."
- Samsung Electronics may issue first overseas bond since 1997 (January 16) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)The company has sent requests for proposals to banks to borrow as much as US$1 billion to expand production capacity at its factory in Austin, Texas, said James Chung, a Seoul-based spokesman for Samsung. The bonds will be issued by Samsung's US unit and may have maturities of five years.
- 4 Jan 2012:Samsung Electronics has won government approval for its plans to set up a memory-chip factory in China.
- Samsung, Hyundai tell workers to brace for economic uncertainty (January 3) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Samsung Electronics and Hyundai Motor, South Korea's largest companies, told employees to brace for intense competition in a weak global economy as the government called for contingency planning.
- 23 Dec 2011:Smartphones are relatively new, but will likely follow the path of more mature electronics industries, in which "you typically see large cross-licensing agreements between the big players because they've all got lots of patents the others are infringing."
- 21 Dec 2011:Samsung offers Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for Galaxy devices (December 20) - Company releaseSamsung Electronics has revealed plans to provide the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update for Galaxy devices. The platform update for Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note will start in the first quarter 2012, and other Galaxy devices will soon follow.
- 20 Dec 2011:Toshiba plans to sign JPY150 billion in syndicated loans, according to three people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified because the details are private.
- 12 Dec 2011:Panasonic will expand its smartphone business beyond its home country of Japan, starting with Europe in March 2012, the electronics giant said today.
- 30 Nov 2011:The Black Friday glad tidings from consumer electronics makers continued on Tuesday, with Sony announcing a big rise in US sales and Microsoft reporting a record week for its Xbox 360 console and Kinect controller. The news followed Nintendo's announcement on Monday of receord sales of its Wii and 3DS gaming machines.
- 16 Nov 2011:Renesas to license Imagination Technologies' PowerVR Series6 graphics technologies (November 14) - Company releaseRenesas Mobile will initially deploy Imagination's technologies in its cellular platforms for high-performance smartphones, tablets and in-car infotainment, but the technology will also be used by Renesas Electronics in its SoC lineups for other consumer markets.
- 14 Nov 2011:Samsung Electronics plans to invest a record KRW38 trillion (US$34 billion) in 2012, sharply up from around KRW30 trillion this year, local online news provider Edaily reported Wednesday, citing unnamed industry sources.
- 9 Nov 2011:The deal provides LG with a license to IV's extensive patent portfolio.
- 31 Oct 2011:In the face of slumping TV sales and a glut of panels for liquid crystal displays, Sony is considering options for its LCD panel joint venture with South Korea's Samsung Electronics, including possibly ending the alliance, according to a person familiar with the matter.
- Samsung Electronics' president expects Thailand floods to further hit the computer memory chip market by hurting PC production until the first quarter of 2012.
- 28 Oct 2011:SMK Electronics has put together a new capacitive touchscreen that's designed to work not just with those wonderfully conductive fingers of yours, but also with gloved hands and perhaps more.
- Samsung Smart TVs record 50% growth in regional month-on-month sales since launch (October 26) - AME InfoSamsung Electronics Co., Ltd has revealed new figures highlighting a staggering 50% month-on-month growth in GCC sales of its Smart TVs since the product's regional launch just six months ago.
- 3M lowers full-year earnings outlook as 3Q11 earnings fall, miss Wall St. estimates (October 25) - Washington PostAmericans put the brakes on purchases of LCD TVs and other electronics this summer. That didn't help manufacturers like 3M Co. - which rely on those expensive goods to drive their business.
- 24 Oct 2011:Japanese electronics maker Panasonic will scale back domestic semiconductor output by the end of March 2012 and cut about 1,000 jobs, reflecting its recent move to reduce TV panel production, the Nikkei business daily said.
- Armed with strong system integration capabilities, Tatung launches smart green building solutions
- Taiwan ICT manufactures at CeBIT 2015
- Clientron announces PCoIP Zero Client availability for Amazon WorkSpaces
- Gigabyte Secret OC session unlocks 9 World Records
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: GoPro to further integrate social media and platform services into 2015 products
- Digitimes Research: AMOLED offers competitive wearable displays
- Digitimes Research: Verizon to ship three million own-brand tablets in 2015
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo mobile device shipments to lead Samsung by 9 million units in 2015
- Digitimes Research: iPad shipments to drop to 55 million units in 2015
The move by Globalfoundries to acquire IBM's semiconductor business unit and to team up with Samsung...
The global wireless charging market is set for an explosive growth in 2015 as wireless charging applications...
NAND flash chip controller maker Phison Electronics has seen its sales grow robustly in 2014. And under...
With the global LED lighting application market taking off, and business opportunities emerging fast,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...