- 2 Jun 2015:Rohm has moved to acquire a 200mm wafer fab from Renesas Electronics for JPY450 million (US$3.7 million).
- 15 May 2015:Avago Technologies, looking to acquire a fellow chipmaker, has reached out to potential targets including Xilinx, Renesas Electronics and Maxim Integrated Products, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 28 Apr 2015:Samsung Electronics has inked an agreement to produce its 3D NAND solid state drives for Google, in a deal deemed to beef up the South Korean manufacturer's gameplay against its global competitors.
- 24 Apr 2015:Qualcomm's second-quarter profit dropped 46%, mainly because of a large fine the company had to pay in China for settling antitrust issues. The company also cut its revenue outlook for 2015, citing loss of business for its Snapdragon processor from key customer Samsung Electronics and a concentration of the premium market around two players - Apple and Samsung, among other factors.
- Samsung Electronics is set to spend at least another 10 trillion won (US$9.2 billion) to boost capacity at a new South Korean chip plant, a 64% increase over announced investment plans, domestic online news service MoneyToday reported.
- 23 Apr 2015:Texas Instruments has forecast current-quarter revenue below analysts' expectations, citing weak demand for its chips from communication equipment and consumer electronics markets and a strong dollar.
- 13 Apr 2015:Samsung Electronics' mobile chief warned on Thursday of limited supplies of its new curved-screen smartphones because of challenges in manufacturing the screens.
- Booming sales and manufacturing of smartphones in China by upstart brands such as Xiaomi have helped to make the country's electronics industry one of the world's largest.
- 8 Apr 2015:Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi has decided to sell devices through a leading electronics retail chain in India, part of its effort to move away from online-only sales and boost growth in the world's third-largest smartphone market.
- Samsung is already pushing out 14nm technology, using its own Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge smartphones to demonstrate its impressive new fabrication technology. But most don't know that the South Korean electronics giant has partnered with Globalfoundries, with the latter now spinning up its production of 14nm technology.
- 26 Mar 2015:RBC Capital Markets chip analyst Doug Freedman this morning writes that chip maker Nvidia, which makes no parts itself, appears to have moved some of its orders for making its chips from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC) to Samsung Electronics, and that this may presage giving some foundry business to Intel.
- 25 Feb 2015:Samsung Electronics, China trade deal give boost to South Korea's yuan hub ambitions (Feb 24) - ReutersSamsung Electronics gave a big boost on Wednesday to Seoul's ambitions to become a global hub for the offshore yuan business, saying it was preparing to start trading the Chinese currency directly with the South Korean won.
- 24 Feb 2015:Sony has said it will spin off its video-and-audio business into a separate company as part of a three-year plan to return to profit.
- 5 Feb 2015:Samsung Electronics has appointed a new smartphone marketing chief, less than a month before the expected unveiling of its next flagship Galaxy S handset.
- 28 Jan 2015:Sony plans to cut around 1,000 additional jobs in its struggling smartphone division as it tries to bring its electronics business back into the black, sources said on Wednesday.
- 27 Jan 2015:Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group, the world's largest contract electronics manufacturer, will cut its massive workforce, the company told Reuters, as the Apple supplier faces declining revenue growth and rising wages in China.
- 25 Jan 2015:Samsung Electronics said it is considering a stock split, the latest signal that the company is willing to bend to demands from shareholders and regulators as its shares trade at more than US$1,200 each.
- 19 Jan 2015:Regarding the occupational disease controversy over workers at its semiconductor plants, Samsung Electronics has announced that it will extend its scope of compensation to include its workers who developed any blood-related cancers, including leukemia, and all former workers who left the company a decade ago.
- 16 Jan 2015:Lee Don-tae, former co-president of UK design consulting firm Tangerine, founded by Apple's Jony Ive, has been hired by Samsung Electronics as its new head of global design.
- 15 Jan 2015:BlackBerry and Samsung Electronics have denied reports that they are in talks about Samsung potentially acquiring the Canadian smartphone maker.
- 12 Jan 2015:Canon and other Japanese electronics companies want to bring production of some goods back home, reversing a years-old trend of overseas manufacturing as a rapid decline in the value of the yen makes local goods more competitive.
- 29 Dec 2014:Samsung Electronics plans to invest KRW13.5 trillion (US$12 billion) in semiconductor facilities next year, up from the KRW13 trillion spent in 2014.
- 12 Dec 2014:In India, probably the most important market for Xiaomi after China, Swedish electronics maker Ericsson has alleged that the Chinese company is infringing on eight Ericsson patents.
- 2 Dec 2014:Samsung Electronics has joined hands with US-based Thermo Fisher Scientific in a bid to expand its presence in the medical industry with its smartphone business slowing down.
- Samsung Group announced annual management changes at its business units on Monday but said top executives at its flagship unit Samsung Electronics will remain in their current positions as the company seeks to reverse recent profit declines.
- 30 Nov 2014:Samsung Electronics' semiconductor sales are expected to jump 15.6% on year in 2014, closing the gap with industry leader Intel, a global market tracker said Sunday.
- 25 Nov 2014:South Korea's Samsung Electronics has secured a licence to invest US$3 billion to expand its production in northern Vietnam, the Vietnamese government said.
- Samsung Electronics spent KRW1.38 trillion (US$1.2 billion) in patent fees in the nine months to September, the most in four years, the company said.
- 24 Nov 2014:Samsung Electronics is considering a major leadership shake-up, according to people familiar with the matter, part of an attempt to revive its fortunes after a difficult year that has hurt its profitability, market share and stock price.
- 23 Nov 2014:Nokia is launching an Android-powered tablet, marking the Finnish company's return to consumer electronics. The surprise launch pits the firm against Microsoft, which completed its takeover of Nokia's previous mobile-devices business in April.
- 14 Nov 2014:Toshiba has become the latest electronics giant to move into a very different business line - the production of vegetables.
- 11 Nov 2014:Imagination PowerVR Series7 GPUs target applications from wearables to servers (Nov 10) - Company releasePowerVR Series7 is architected for the broadest range of next-generation products from wearables and IoT through automotive, mobile and consumer electronics devices, up to high-performance GPU compute.
- Samsung Electronics has announced plans to spend up to $3bn (£1.8bn) to create a new smartphone factory in Vietnam.
- 31 Oct 2014:Samsung Electronics on Thursday said it would revamp its smartphone line-up to take on competitors in the rapidly growing mid-to-low range segment, after third-quarter earnings set it on course for its worst year since 2011.
- Three of Japan's biggest electronics companies reported modest earnings gains Thursday for the first half of the financial year ending March, helped by the yen's weakness and restructuring, but held back by a soft domestic economy.
- 24 Feb 2014:Renesas develops 28nm embedded flash memory technology for microcontrollers (February 18) - Company releaseRenesas Electronics has developed what it claims is the industry's first 28-nanometer (nm) flash memory intellectual property (IP) for microcontrollers (MCUs) using a 28nm process technology.
- 17 Feb 2014:Samsung Electronics Co said a memory chip plant being built in China will start operations as planned in the first half of 2014 and the company will remain flexible about further investment in the factory.
- 14 Feb 2014:ARM enhances IP suite for 2015 mid-range mobile and consumer markets (February 11) - Company releaseARM has announced an enhanced suite of higher performance and more energy-efficient products specifically designed for the rapidly growing mid-range mobile and consumer electronics markets.
- 10 Feb 2014:Struggling chip-maker Renesas Electronics will withdraw from the market for small liquid crystal displays as part of efforts to turn around its business, an industry source said Saturday.
- 27 Jan 2014:Samsung Electronics will pay Ericsson $650 million along with years of royalties to end a technology licence spat, the Swedish company said on Monday.
- Elo expands projective capacitive touchscreen line
- GSMA announces further details for Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2016
- With a decade of achievements, AVEXIR Technologies establishes itself as gamers' favorite
- KMF protection class II: Compact power entry module for protection class II equipment
- Prize-winning design quality: Raiden series triumphs in Red Dot Award: Product Design 2016
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Dassault Systemes, a European multinational software company that develops 3D design, 3D engineering,...
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
During a Digitimes interview, Global Sales and Operations senior vice president B.S. Teh for Seagate...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...