- 25 Aug 2016:Better-than-expected demand for Samsung Electronics' new Galaxy Note 7 is causing supply constraints globally, the South Korean tech giant said on Wednesday, suggesting strong initial sales for the new premium smartphone.
- 23 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics is slated to hold a foundry forum in China later this month (August 2016) to attract Chinese fabless firms amid its growing idle foundry lines, industry experts said on Tuesday.
- Samsung Electronics plans to launch a program to sell refurbished used versions of its premium smartphones as early as 2017, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
- 22 Aug 2016:Japan's Renesas Electronics is in the final stages of negotiations to acquire US chipmaker Intersil for as much as JPY300 billion ($2.99 billion), the Nikkei business daily reported on Monday.
- 11 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics has announced that it is now the world's number one supplier of enterprise solid state drives used in corporate data centers, as reported by a number of analyst firms.
- 4 Aug 2016:After Samsung Electronics' success in selling components for rivals' smartphones, Vice Chairman Lee Jae Yong is considering a similar strategy for the world of automobiles.
- 28 Jul 2016:Shares surged on Thursday after the Japanese electronics manufacturer reported better than expected first quarter profits - albeit it a reading which showed a 70 per cent slide year-on-year.
- South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics said on Thursday it expects solid earnings to continue in the second half of 2016, with stronger components demand likely offsetting heightened margin pressures for smartphones.
- 21 Jul 2016:Toshiba is planning to start the manufacturing of the world's first 64-layer 3D NAND flash memory chips in the third quarter of 2016 with Samsung Electronics being expected to release the same type of products in the following quarter.
- 15 Jul 2016:It is no secret that smartphone component manufacturing is slowing down, so is Samsung aiming for the next booming business, supplying batteries to electric vehicles?
- 7 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics expects to post its most profitable quarter in more than two years because of strong sales of its flagship S7 line of smartphones.
- 5 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics, which has continued streamlining its workforce on its home turf, reduced more than 10,000 employees in the all-important Chinese market during 2015.
- 30 Jun 2016:Samsung is also reported to considering relocating its European headquarters in London to a location in Europe.
- 20 Jun 2016:Tech giant Samsung Electronics said a power supply disruption at its China memory chip plant will have minimal market impact, with full-scale operations expected to resume in a few days.
- Operations at Samsung Electronics' semiconductor plant in China were disrupted on Saturday following a blast at a local power station.
- 17 Jun 2016:Advantest has installed its 800th V93000 Port Scale RF test system, with the landmark unit going into the production facility of Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics Technology (JCET), a leading Chinese semiconductor packaging assembly and test company.
- 25 May 2016:Sluggish sales of Apple's iPhones are starting to hit Sony's bottom line, with the electronics company warning Tuesday that it expects the business that makes components for smartphones to post a wider operating loss.
- 17 May 2016:Toshiba posted a wider-than-forecast operating loss after the troubled electronics conglomerate wrote down the value of its Westinghouse power unit.
- 28 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics said on Thursday that its first-quarter operating profit rose 12% from a year earlier, propelled by strong initial sales for its flagship Galaxy S7 smartphones.
- 19 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics is co-developing EMI shielding process that uses spray method with Protec, which is a South Korean company specializing in dispenser, Asymtek from the US, Hansol Chemical and Ntrium. While Protec and Asymtek are developing equipment, Hansol Chemical and Ntrium are developing EMI masking material that is in a form of ink. Samsung is planning to supply NAND-flash package with EMI shield to Apple when equipment and material are developed. It is predicted that supply will be possible starting from 2017.
- 14 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics is widening its lead with competitors in the solid-state drive (SSD) market, which is considered a growing field in the NAND memory semiconductor industry, dominating the market.
- 28 Mar 2016:The takeover bid by Hon Hai of Taiwan for Sharp, a chronically loss-making Japanese electronics firm, is being watched closely as a test of Japan's openness to foreign investment. But it is also being scrutinised back in Taiwan.
- 22 Mar 2016:Samsung Electronics is aiming to change its decades-long hierarchical system to adapt to the rapidly changing business environment.
- Samsung Electronics plans to sharply cut its investments in memory chips as part of plans to focus on offsetting the growing risks of the industry's downturn.
- 15 Mar 2016:Toshiba is in late-stage negotiations to sell its white goods business to Chinese household appliance giant Midea Group, a move that would mark another chapter in Japan's drastically changing home electronics industry.
- 11 Mar 2016:Orange and MediaTek announce collaboration to speed adoption of cellular connectivity for connected objects (Feb 22) - Company releaseMediaTek and Orange have announced a new collaboration to market IoT tailored offerings embedding ready-to-use cellular connectivity to address the growing industrial demand for connected objects. The agreement will address professional developers and manufacturers of IoT devices including consumer electronics products.
- 3 Mar 2016:Samsung Electronics Display is ceasing the operations of its TV manufacturing plant in Seremban due to challenging business environment and changing market conditions.
- 22 Feb 2016:Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics unveiled their latest smartphones at the Mobile World Congress industry show in Barcelona on Sunday, seeking to buck the slowdown in industry growth.
- 11 Jan 2016:Two United States Marshals raided a booth at the Consumer Electronics Show on Thursday afternoon, walking away with several one-wheeled electric scooters. The company that makes the scooters, Changzhou First International Trade Co., was sued by American company Future Motion, on two claims of alleged patent infringement.
- 8 Jan 2016:Samsung Electronics says its operating profit is likely to rise 15% in the fourth quarter from a year ago, missing market expectations.
- Qualcomm Chief Executive Steve Mollenkopf has reason to be glad 2015 is over, after a series of disruptions and disappointments for the big chip maker. At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, he launched a fusillade of Snapdragon processors designed to ensure a better year to come by taking that brand beyond its stronghold in smartphones.
- 27 Dec 2015:The chief executive of semiconductor maker Renesas Electronics abruptly resigned Friday six months after he took the post, a move that comes as the company's principal shareholder considers strategic options.
- 23 Dec 2015:A US trade judge said Nvidia infringed Samsung Electronics patents, offering another win for the Korean gear-maker in a running legal battle between the electronics companies.
- 17 Dec 2015:It has been found that Chinese companies in the LCD and semiconductor industries are trying to acquire Korean firms in partnership with Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix as well as technical engineers.
- 30 Nov 2015:
- 20 Nov 2015:German chip maker Infineon Technologies has expressed interest in investing in Japanese semiconductor firm Renesas Electronics, and Renesas is examining that idea along with other strategic options, according to people familiar with the situation.
- 12 Nov 2015:Samsung Electronics plans to mass-produce a new processor that will be used in the company's next mobile devices, according to industry officials.
- 29 Oct 2015:Samsung Electronics is tapping its $50 billion cash pile to buy back shares and invest in its components business after struggles in the smartphone division battered investors. Shares surged.
- 12 Oct 2015:Tsinghua Unigroup, the state-backed Chinese firm that recently agreed to buy a stake in Western Digital, is close to acquiring local chip company Tongfang Guoxin Electronics, a person familiar with the matter said.
- Micron Technology is spending over 100 billion yen ($830 million) to enable its Japanese facility in Hiroshima to mass-produce the next generation of memory chips in an attempt to take on global leader Samsung Electronics.
- Picowork builds collaborative cloud environment, an essential tool for IoT and Industry 4.0 data communication
- UMC Enters Mass Production for 14nm Customer ICs
- Clientron to present its POS Solution at EuroShop 2017
- Entegris announces higher-purity gas purification system platform with expanded manufacturing in Asia
- Spirox resolved to propose termination of exclusive distributor agreement with Xcerra Corporation
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...