- 11 Nov 2014:Samsung Electronics has announced plans to spend up to $3bn (£1.8bn) to create a new smartphone factory in Vietnam.
- 31 Oct 2014:Samsung Electronics on Thursday said it would revamp its smartphone line-up to take on competitors in the rapidly growing mid-to-low range segment, after third-quarter earnings set it on course for its worst year since 2011.
- Three of Japan's biggest electronics companies reported modest earnings gains Thursday for the first half of the financial year ending March, helped by the yen's weakness and restructuring, but held back by a soft domestic economy.
- 24 Feb 2014:Renesas develops 28nm embedded flash memory technology for microcontrollers (February 18) - Company releaseRenesas Electronics has developed what it claims is the industry's first 28-nanometer (nm) flash memory intellectual property (IP) for microcontrollers (MCUs) using a 28nm process technology.
- 17 Feb 2014:Samsung Electronics Co said a memory chip plant being built in China will start operations as planned in the first half of 2014 and the company will remain flexible about further investment in the factory.
- 14 Feb 2014:ARM enhances IP suite for 2015 mid-range mobile and consumer markets (February 11) - Company releaseARM has announced an enhanced suite of higher performance and more energy-efficient products specifically designed for the rapidly growing mid-range mobile and consumer electronics markets.
- 10 Feb 2014:Struggling chip-maker Renesas Electronics will withdraw from the market for small liquid crystal displays as part of efforts to turn around its business, an industry source said Saturday.
- 27 Jan 2014:Samsung Electronics will pay Ericsson $650 million along with years of royalties to end a technology licence spat, the Swedish company said on Monday.
- 22 Jan 2014:Renesas Electronics will slash 5,400 jobs in Japan, or about one quarter of its domestic workforce, reports said Wednesday, as the struggling Japanese chipmaker overhauls its money-losing business.
- 7 Jan 2014:A major theme at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas this year will be wearable technology - especially gadgets that track fitness levels.
- Samsung Electronics wants to parlay that technology into automotive navigation and entertainment systems for an industry that makes more than 80 million vehicles a year.
- 3 Jan 2014:Samsung Electronics saw billions of dollars wiped off its market cap in the first hours of 2014 trading after investors bucked on concerns that the company's profit growth could slow in the new year.
- 18 Dec 2013:Electronics giant Sharp is ceasing solar panel production at its Wrexham factory with the loss of hundreds of jobs.
- 12 Dec 2013:Samsung Electronics built the world's largest smartphone business by tapping China's cheap and abundant workforce. Not for much longer: it's shifting output to Vietnam to secure even lower wages and defend profit margins as growth in sales of high-end handsets slow.
- 4 Dec 2013:Electronics firm Sony is considering the purchase of a Japanese chip plant from Renesas Electronics so that it can enhance production of smartphone image sensors, reports said.
- 27 Nov 2013:Japan's Panasonic will sell three domestic semiconductor factories to Israel's TowerJazz as early as the current business year ending March, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, bringing the embattled electronics giant closer to completing the overhaul of its loss-making businesses.
- 5 Nov 2013:Nokia and Samsung Electronics agreed to extend a broad licensing agreement through 2018, representing a rare example of harmony as patent wars rage on in the technology industry.
- 4 Nov 2013:Shares in Japanese electronics giant Sony plunged 11% to JPY1,668 on the Tokyo Stock Exchange after the firm cut its profit forecast.
- Secrecy has served Samsung Electronics well. Keeping its rivals guessing has helped Samsung, the South Korean technology giant, build a formidable lead in the smartphone industry, where it now sells more than one in three handsets worldwide.
- 24 Oct 2013:Japanese consumer electronics giant Panasonic will slash its 14,000-strong chipmaking workforce by half and possibly sell some of its plants, the Nikkei business daily reported Wednesday.
- 16 Oct 2013:Chipmakers including Broadcom and Renesas Electronics are ramping up in-car entertainment with faster processors and networks for wireless HD movies and navigation, aiming to keep drivers informed and passengers entertained.
- 2 Oct 2013:Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Gear smartwatch is seen as an extension of the smartphone, but research is under way to see how the wearable device could work with electronics such as TVs.
- Foxconn Technology, a subsidiary of the world's largest electronics contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry, will likely begin construction of its factory in Indonesia in the second half of 2013, a minister has said.
- For a few hundred dollars, a US consumer can visit a local telecoms dealer and pick up a device manufactured by Samsung Electronics. But buying shares of the Korea-listed technology giant? Not so easy.
- 1 Oct 2013:Samsung Electronics has begun commissioning equipment orders for its newly constructed semiconductor plant in Xian, China.
- 23 Sep 2013:Luis Arbulu, a former Google business development and investment executive, has joined Samsung Electronics, Fortune has learned. He will be a Menlo Park-based director in Samsung's new Open Innovation Center, whose strategy includes making small early-stage investments into promising hardware and software startups.
- 6 Sep 2013:Broadcom has announced a definitive agreement to acquire LTE-related assets from affiliates of Renesas Electronics.
- 6 Aug 2013:Japan's Renesas Electronics said Friday it will close a plant that makes system LSI chips for Nintendo's game consoles and other consumer electronics after failing to find a buyer for the facility in Tsuruoka in northern Japan.
- 31 Jul 2013:Micron Technology anticipates the closing of its acquisition of 100% of Elpida's equity to occur on July 31, 2013, Tokyo time. Micron also anticipates concurrently closing its acquisition of a 24% share of Rexchip Electronics from Powerchip Technology and certain of its affiliates.
- 15 Jul 2013:Samsung Electronics will supply 14nm A9 chips that will be used for Apple's iPhone 7.
- 2 Jul 2013:Samsung Electronics lost US$25.3 billion in market capitalization last month, more than the value of competitor Sony, as sales of its flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone fell short of investor expectations.
- 26 Jun 2013:Samsung Electronics has decided to ditch its unprofitable desktop PC business and devote itself to tablet computers and all-in-one laptops, company officials said Monday.
- 25 Jun 2013:Chipmaker Qualcomm is now Sharp's third-largest shareholder following the completion of a US$120 million investment in the ailing electronics firm.
- 19 Jun 2013:Globalfoundries and Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics announced that Rockchip's next-generation mobile processors are ramping to production on Globalfoundries' 28nm HKMG process technology.
- 18 Jun 2013:The smartphone and consumer electronics maker is close to launching an incubator space for startups that are developing software and services for phones, tablet computers and televisions.
- 14 Jun 2013:Samsung's Galaxy S4 handset is well on its way to becoming the company's bestselling smartphone. Samsung Electronics co-CEO Shin Jong-kyun told The Korea Times the Galaxy S4 is set to surpass the 10 million sales mark next week.
- 3 Jun 2013:Samsung Electronics has chosen an Intel processor to power a new version of one of its top-tier Android tablets, a source with knowledge of the plans told Reuters.
- 29 May 2013:Samsung Electronics announced that global channel sales of its Galaxy S4 has surpassed 10 million units sold in less than one month after its commercial debut.
- 23 May 2013:Samsung Electronics will buy new shares in unlisted South Korean smartphone maker Pantech, making Samsung the third-largest Pantech shareholder with a 10% stake.
- 22 May 2013:Toshiba said it will soon begin mass producing a new type of 64Gbit NAND flash that is the smallest and fastest in its class, though it still lags rival Samsung Electronics in the development of an even denser flash technology.
- Indium Corporation features ultra-low residue no-clean Flip-Chip Flux at SEMICON Taiwan
- Indium Corporation's patented BiAgX: A drop-in replacement for high-Pb solders
- Echoing Government's Productivity 4.0, IoT Automation Boosts Taiwan's Competitiveness
- ASUS selects Pixelworks' Iris mobile display processor and True Clarity enhancements for ZenPad tablet
- Etasis promotes new 350W 1U slim redundant power supply to market
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Tablets with phone functionality from white-box players to suffer over 15% decline in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments see weaker-than-expected growth in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: Intel 28nm SoFIA 4G AP delayed to early 2016; may face overlap issue with 14nm version
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Silicon providers main beneficiaries of enthusiast PC growth; opportunities exist for vendors to raise profits with innovative products, says HWinsights
- Zoom Storage looking to become media library for mobile device users
- AMD unveils sixth-generation A-series APUs for mobile products
- Computex 2015: Startup company Endless pushing PC for developing countries
- Computex 2015: Nvidia unveils GTX 980 Ti and G-Sync technology
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
Competition in the graphics card market has grown fierce as demand for graphics cards from the gaming...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
Computex has evolved into one of the biggest and most important ICT trade shows in the world since...
Although the company has not been operating in the gaming notebook industry for long, Gigabyte Technology...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...