- 1 Oct 2013:Samsung Electronics has begun commissioning equipment orders for its newly constructed semiconductor plant in Xian, China.
- 23 Sep 2013:Luis Arbulu, a former Google business development and investment executive, has joined Samsung Electronics, Fortune has learned. He will be a Menlo Park-based director in Samsung's new Open Innovation Center, whose strategy includes making small early-stage investments into promising hardware and software startups.
- 6 Sep 2013:Broadcom has announced a definitive agreement to acquire LTE-related assets from affiliates of Renesas Electronics.
- 6 Aug 2013:Japan's Renesas Electronics said Friday it will close a plant that makes system LSI chips for Nintendo's game consoles and other consumer electronics after failing to find a buyer for the facility in Tsuruoka in northern Japan.
- 31 Jul 2013:Micron Technology anticipates the closing of its acquisition of 100% of Elpida's equity to occur on July 31, 2013, Tokyo time. Micron also anticipates concurrently closing its acquisition of a 24% share of Rexchip Electronics from Powerchip Technology and certain of its affiliates.
- 15 Jul 2013:Samsung Electronics will supply 14nm A9 chips that will be used for Apple's iPhone 7.
- 2 Jul 2013:Samsung Electronics lost US$25.3 billion in market capitalization last month, more than the value of competitor Sony, as sales of its flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone fell short of investor expectations.
- 26 Jun 2013:Samsung Electronics has decided to ditch its unprofitable desktop PC business and devote itself to tablet computers and all-in-one laptops, company officials said Monday.
- 25 Jun 2013:Chipmaker Qualcomm is now Sharp's third-largest shareholder following the completion of a US$120 million investment in the ailing electronics firm.
- 19 Jun 2013:Globalfoundries and Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics announced that Rockchip's next-generation mobile processors are ramping to production on Globalfoundries' 28nm HKMG process technology.
- 18 Jun 2013:The smartphone and consumer electronics maker is close to launching an incubator space for startups that are developing software and services for phones, tablet computers and televisions.
- 14 Jun 2013:Samsung's Galaxy S4 handset is well on its way to becoming the company's bestselling smartphone. Samsung Electronics co-CEO Shin Jong-kyun told The Korea Times the Galaxy S4 is set to surpass the 10 million sales mark next week.
- 3 Jun 2013:Samsung Electronics has chosen an Intel processor to power a new version of one of its top-tier Android tablets, a source with knowledge of the plans told Reuters.
- 29 May 2013:Samsung Electronics announced that global channel sales of its Galaxy S4 has surpassed 10 million units sold in less than one month after its commercial debut.
- 23 May 2013:Samsung Electronics will buy new shares in unlisted South Korean smartphone maker Pantech, making Samsung the third-largest Pantech shareholder with a 10% stake.
- 22 May 2013:Toshiba said it will soon begin mass producing a new type of 64Gbit NAND flash that is the smallest and fastest in its class, though it still lags rival Samsung Electronics in the development of an even denser flash technology.
- 21 May 2013:Samsung Electronics ranked first in terms of production of sub 28-32 nanometer chip foundry in the first quarter of the year, data showed on Monday.
- 17 May 2013:Imec and Renesas Electronics have entered into a new strategic research collaboration at Holst Centre. Together, the companies will collaborate to enhance ultra-low power (ULP) wireless technologies for short range communication, targeting sensor networks for automotive and industrial purposes.
- 30 Apr 2013:SK Hynix Semiconductor will be supplying Samsung Electronics with memory chips as early as June, industry sources said on Monday. The firm will supply enough to make up 20% of Samsung's mobile business.
- 18 Apr 2013:Samsung Electronics is considering purchasing mobile memory chips from rival SK Hynix Inc for future products including its new flagship Galaxy S smartphone to be launched this month, JK Shin, head of Samsung's mobile business, said on Thursday.
- 29 Mar 2013:The president of struggling Renesas Electronics said Thursday that the chipmaker is in talks with overseas companies on selling its loss-making mobile device chip operations as part of efforts to streamline its business.
- 10 Mar 2013:Texas Instruments, the largest maker of analog chips, raised the lower end of its forecasts for first-quarter sales and profit, as customers increase orders ahead of a projected rebound in electronics demand.
- 24 Jan 2013:The successor to Samsung Electronics' blockbuster Galaxy S3 could launch in April. That's according to Samsung news Web site SamMobile, which pegs the phone's launch on April 15.
- 11 Jan 2013:Samsung Electronics is looking to supply chips to more Chinese and other emerging smartphone makers, the head of its system chip business said, to counter any fall-off in demand from Apple, which is weaning itself off Samsung chips used in its iPhones and iPads.
- 28 Dec 2012:China's largest private employer has pledged to sharply curtail workers' hours and significantly increase wages - reforms that, if fully carried out next year as planned, could create a ripple effect that benefits tens of millions of workers across the electronics industry.
- 25 Dec 2012:Renesas Electronics announced that its latest USB 3.0 hub controller (part number uPD720210) has passed USB 3.0 compliance and certification testing by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF).
- 20 Dec 2012:Samsung Electronics has acquired Nvelo, a Silicon Valley vendor of products for caching data on flash-based SSDs.
- 12 Dec 2012:There's nothing surprising about Japan going out of its way to bail out Renesas Electronics. The obvious objective is to maintain a steady flow of Renesas chips into domestic products, especially Toyota and Nissan automobiles.
- 7 Dec 2012:Qualcomm has said that a shortage of its advanced smartphone processors is almost resolved as manufacturing partners including Samsung Electronics boosted production.
- 30 Nov 2012:An investment fund controlled by Japan's government has agreed to rescue Renesas Electronics by buying a majority stake in the lossmaking chipmaker for about JPY180 billion (US$2.2 billion), people familiar with the deal said.
- 27 Nov 2012:Samsung Electronics said an internal audit of suppliers in China found "inadequate practices" that include employees working more overtime than allowed by law.
- 26 Nov 2012:Samsung Electronics has earmarked Malaysia to be its largest operations base outside South Korea by 2015.
- 8 Oct 2012:The 38th Taipei International Electronics Show, which will take place on Oct. 9-12, is estimated to draw around 50,000 buyers to strike deals up to US$350-400 million, up from last year's US$300 million, according to co-organizer Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA).
- 2 Oct 2012:A temporary sales ban on Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet computer in the US has been lifted by a US court.
- 19 Sep 2012:Samsung Electronics plans to unveil the latest in its Galaxy line, the S4, at a European technology exhibition in February, according to company officials and local parts suppliers for the technology giant.
- 8 Sep 2012:Apple instead picked Japan's Toshiba, Elpida Memory and Korea's SK Hynix to supply DRAM and NAND chips.
- 4 Sep 2012:Samsung Electronics said on Monday it would inspect 250 Chinese companies which make products for the South Korean firm to ensure no labour laws are broken.
- 15 Aug 2012:The Japanese electronics maker said in a statement that it's not introducing tablets based on Windows RT due to delayed components "that would make a timely launch impossible." Instead, Toshiba will focus on bringing Windows 8 devices, which run on chips from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), to market.
- 14 Aug 2012:Qualcomm working with Dell, Samsung on Windows RT devices - sources (August 13) - Wall Street JournalQualcomm is providing chips for new devices from Dell and Samsung Electronics that run Microsoft's Windows RT operating system, people familiar with the matter said.
- 9 Aug 2012:STMicroelectronics has acquired the intellectual property of Israeli company bTendo, and has hired most of the staff, as it aims to increase the popularity of consumer electronics with integrated projectors.
- Advantest opens registration for VOICE 2015 developer conference May 12-14
- G.SKILL releases the fastest DDR4-3400MHz memory kit
- Toes Opto-Mechatronics launches flexible thin-film battery, seizing smart wearable application opportunities
- Brand new fuel cell ferry in full service
- 2015 Digital Signage Trends - A New Era of Smart Applications
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Windows 10 unlikely to bring dramatic changes to mobile device market in 2015
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone industry to report shipment growth of 8.6% for 4Q14
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 ships as scheduled for Xiaomi and LG product launches
- Digitimes Research: TSMC SSL merger to enhance Epistar in the LED market
- Digitimes Research: Ultra HD BD players not likely to be available until end of 2015
Lenovo, which had the fourth-largest market share next to Asustek Computer, Acer and Apple in the Taiwan...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
The development of network functions virtualization (NFV) solutions will become mature in 2015 and...
The move by Globalfoundries to acquire IBM's semiconductor business unit and to team up with Samsung...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...