- 8 Nov 2016:Sony (China) has signed a binding definitive agreement to transfer to Shen Zhen O-Film Tech all equity interest in its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sony Electronics Huanan, which manufactures camera modules. The sales price is approximately US$95 million, subject to customary post-closing adjustments.
- 1 Nov 2016:Samsung Note 7 debacle, Hyundai Motor strike undermine South Korean exports (Nov 1) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaSouth Korea's exports fell in October because of problems at two of its biggest companies, with Samsung Electronics abandoning its trouble-plagued Galaxy Note 7 and Hyundai Motor suffering a lengthy labor strike.
- LG Electronics is not going to apply modularized structure for its next smartphone called 'G6 (tentative)' that is expected to be released in 2017. It is basically withdrawing its strategy of modularization that was first introduced to G5 in just a year.
- The fund will have a size of about KRW200 billion (US$175.4 million), of which KRW50 billion will be financed by Samsung Electronics and KRW25 billion by SK Hynix.
- Sony and Panasonic, the Japanese electronics makers, have warned that profits would be hit by lower export income owing to the stronger yen and the retreat from lossmaking businesses.
- Samsung Electronics said strength in its semiconductor business offset the impact to its mobile phone business caused by exploding batteries in its flagship Galaxy Note 7 products.
- 11 Oct 2016:Samsung Electronics tumbled after asking retail partners to stop sales and exchanges of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, the latest blow for South Korea's largest company in the midst of a crisis over exploding batteries.
- 13 Sep 2016:Renesas Electronics has agreed to buy US chipmaker Intersil for a total of $3.2 billion, as the Japanese chipmaker accelerates efforts to sell more automotive components.
- 12 Sep 2016:Tech giant Samsung Electronics is gearing up to fully operate a production line for 3D NAND flash memory at its plant in Hwaseong City, Gyeonggi Province. Considering the one-month period to build the equipment and tools, it is expected that the facility will likely be in full operation around the end of 2016.
- 8 Sep 2016:Samsung Electronics is selling about half of its stake in chip-equipment supplier ASML Holding in a private placement valued at about EUR606 million (US$681 million).
- 6 Sep 2016:In its rush to beat rival products to market, notably Apple's new iPhone, Samsung Electronics has accelerated new phone launch cycles, but its haste is raising concerns that it fell short on quality testing.
- The courtship of Intersil is turning into a duel between Japan's Renesas Electronics and San Jose, Calif.-based Maxim Integrated Products.
- 1 Sep 2016:The head of Nokia's small, but highly profitable patent licensing division is leaving after two years in the role, the Finnish company said on Wednesday, weeks after he sealed a pace-setting patent deal with Samsung Electronics.
- 25 Aug 2016:Better-than-expected demand for Samsung Electronics' new Galaxy Note 7 is causing supply constraints globally, the South Korean tech giant said on Wednesday, suggesting strong initial sales for the new premium smartphone.
- 23 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics is slated to hold a foundry forum in China later this month (August 2016) to attract Chinese fabless firms amid its growing idle foundry lines, industry experts said on Tuesday.
- Samsung Electronics plans to launch a program to sell refurbished used versions of its premium smartphones as early as 2017, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
- 22 Aug 2016:Japan's Renesas Electronics is in the final stages of negotiations to acquire US chipmaker Intersil for as much as JPY300 billion ($2.99 billion), the Nikkei business daily reported on Monday.
- 11 Aug 2016:Samsung Electronics has announced that it is now the world's number one supplier of enterprise solid state drives used in corporate data centers, as reported by a number of analyst firms.
- 4 Aug 2016:After Samsung Electronics' success in selling components for rivals' smartphones, Vice Chairman Lee Jae Yong is considering a similar strategy for the world of automobiles.
- 28 Jul 2016:Shares surged on Thursday after the Japanese electronics manufacturer reported better than expected first quarter profits - albeit it a reading which showed a 70 per cent slide year-on-year.
- South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics said on Thursday it expects solid earnings to continue in the second half of 2016, with stronger components demand likely offsetting heightened margin pressures for smartphones.
- 21 Jul 2016:Toshiba is planning to start the manufacturing of the world's first 64-layer 3D NAND flash memory chips in the third quarter of 2016 with Samsung Electronics being expected to release the same type of products in the following quarter.
- 15 Jul 2016:It is no secret that smartphone component manufacturing is slowing down, so is Samsung aiming for the next booming business, supplying batteries to electric vehicles?
- 7 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics expects to post its most profitable quarter in more than two years because of strong sales of its flagship S7 line of smartphones.
- 5 Jul 2016:Samsung Electronics, which has continued streamlining its workforce on its home turf, reduced more than 10,000 employees in the all-important Chinese market during 2015.
- 30 Jun 2016:Samsung is also reported to considering relocating its European headquarters in London to a location in Europe.
- 20 Jun 2016:Tech giant Samsung Electronics said a power supply disruption at its China memory chip plant will have minimal market impact, with full-scale operations expected to resume in a few days.
- Operations at Samsung Electronics' semiconductor plant in China were disrupted on Saturday following a blast at a local power station.
- 17 Jun 2016:Advantest has installed its 800th V93000 Port Scale RF test system, with the landmark unit going into the production facility of Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics Technology (JCET), a leading Chinese semiconductor packaging assembly and test company.
- 25 May 2016:Sluggish sales of Apple's iPhones are starting to hit Sony's bottom line, with the electronics company warning Tuesday that it expects the business that makes components for smartphones to post a wider operating loss.
- 17 May 2016:Toshiba posted a wider-than-forecast operating loss after the troubled electronics conglomerate wrote down the value of its Westinghouse power unit.
- 28 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics said on Thursday that its first-quarter operating profit rose 12% from a year earlier, propelled by strong initial sales for its flagship Galaxy S7 smartphones.
- 19 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics is co-developing EMI shielding process that uses spray method with Protec, which is a South Korean company specializing in dispenser, Asymtek from the US, Hansol Chemical and Ntrium. While Protec and Asymtek are developing equipment, Hansol Chemical and Ntrium are developing EMI masking material that is in a form of ink. Samsung is planning to supply NAND-flash package with EMI shield to Apple when equipment and material are developed. It is predicted that supply will be possible starting from 2017.
- 14 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics is widening its lead with competitors in the solid-state drive (SSD) market, which is considered a growing field in the NAND memory semiconductor industry, dominating the market.
- 28 Mar 2016:The takeover bid by Hon Hai of Taiwan for Sharp, a chronically loss-making Japanese electronics firm, is being watched closely as a test of Japan's openness to foreign investment. But it is also being scrutinised back in Taiwan.
- 22 Mar 2016:Samsung Electronics is aiming to change its decades-long hierarchical system to adapt to the rapidly changing business environment.
- Samsung Electronics plans to sharply cut its investments in memory chips as part of plans to focus on offsetting the growing risks of the industry's downturn.
- 15 Mar 2016:Toshiba is in late-stage negotiations to sell its white goods business to Chinese household appliance giant Midea Group, a move that would mark another chapter in Japan's drastically changing home electronics industry.
- 11 Mar 2016:Orange and MediaTek announce collaboration to speed adoption of cellular connectivity for connected objects (Feb 22) - Company releaseMediaTek and Orange have announced a new collaboration to market IoT tailored offerings embedding ready-to-use cellular connectivity to address the growing industrial demand for connected objects. The agreement will address professional developers and manufacturers of IoT devices including consumer electronics products.
- 3 Mar 2016:Samsung Electronics Display is ceasing the operations of its TV manufacturing plant in Seremban due to challenging business environment and changing market conditions.
- Innodisk's latest SSD hits the sweet spot
- Microtips pioneers wireless charging platform development to jointly create an industry ecosystem
- Celebrating its 20th anniversary, Microtips focuses on continuing revenue growth rather than rapid expansion
- QSAN Launches QCache 2.0 for XCubeSAN
- Hua Hong Semiconductor's power discrete platform crosses the shipment mark of 5-million wafers
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Taiwan market: Paypal enhances service by disabling domestic payment processing
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
As part of Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen's five-plus-two innovative industries initiative, Taiwan is...
The global reaction to the aggressive investment strategy adopted by China-based Tsinghua Unigroup...
AMD has been aggressively looking to expand its presence in the PC market. It has released its new...
Kuka Robotics, as the world's leading maker of robots used in automobile manufacturing, has been making...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...