Although Intel has licensed both Nvidia SLI and AMD CrossfireX for its Core i7 and i5 CPUs, in order to ensure there is enough PCI Express bandwidth to meet the demands of even the fastest GPUs (perhaps for example Nvidia's upcoming Fermi range) running together at the same time, Gigabyte has also added the Nvidia NF200 chip to the GA-P55A-UD7 board.
Gigabyte has also included a chips from NEC to add support for SuperSpeed USB 3.0, an upgrade from the P55's native support for USB 2.0, and a SATA 6Gbps controller from Marvell, meaning owners will not find themselves limited to the current standard transfer rates once components and peripherals supporting the new faster standards become readily available on the market. Of course, USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps maintain backwards compatibility with existing devices.
Some might question the logic behind adding so many extra features, which increase the selling price of the board, to what is essentially a mid-range platform (Intel has its X58 chipset for the high-end segment). But with the potential for overclocking, the wider choice and more affordable pricing of LGA 1156 CPUs versus LGA 1366 models, as well as future-proofing thanks to USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps, the GA-P55A-UD7 could make a better long-term investment providing near enthusiast performance without the premium price.
- GIGABYTE Launches the BRIX Ultra Compact PC Kit
- AEWIN Introduces Newest Multiplayer Gaming System SGA-5010
- Carry Technology Highlights Thunderbolt and Wi-Fi Card Reader Series
- EverFocus launches ECOR960 X1 16CH with better image quality and more affordable price
- Leadtek to Show Total Cloud Solutions at Computex Taipei 2013
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- The Imaging Source: GigE Camera - 5 MegaPixel
- ATO SOLUTION CO., LTD Successfully Design-in Taiwan Tier One ODM DSC Manufacturer
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- ATO Solution to launch 256Mb SLC NAND Flash - for the first time in fabless industry
- Digitimes Research: Global tablet shipments in 1Q13 down sequentially, up on year
- Digitimes Research: Global top-5 notebook brands see over 20% shipment drop in April
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan 2Q13 digital camera shipments expected to rebound sequentially
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan 1Q13 digital camera shipments hit 16-quarter low
- Commentary: Price competition over 7-inch tablets erodes profits
- Taiwan FTC investigates Samsung over false advertising allegations
- Digitimes Research: Mobile devices to drive 2013 DRAM market
- Blog: Google Glass may enjoy demand from more than just regular users
- Galaxy S4 to extend Samsung lead in 2013 handset market, says IHS
The show will be held from June 4-8. It is expected to attract 40,000 international buyers and create business opportunities worth US$25 billion. The...
Taiwan notebook Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs) account for more than 90% of global notebook production and Digitimes is there to provide daily...
The early success Google's Android platform has achieved in the handset market has caused system makers, software developers and semiconductor players...
As Microsoft launched its latest Windows 8 and RT operating system, there are many players already launched the related products, while some expect the...
Chaintech, a motherboard/graphics card maker, which quit the market once and returned recently, has...
Digitimes recently spoke with Karen Lightman, the executive director of MEMS Industry Group (MIG),...
As the PC Industry is having trouble achieving growth, transformation has become a new trend among...
China-based Huawei Technologies has always been known for its telecom technologies and equipment, but...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - Jun 2011
The motherboard industry began 2010 with optimism and expected to see a reversal of the previous two years' declines in revenues and shipments as the impact of...