- 1 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is facing a patent lawsuit from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology in the US, the institute confirmed Wednesday.
- 25 Nov 2016:Samsung's decision to sell its printing business to HP for over $1 billion showed that the company is serious in its efforts to become a leaner organization. A new report out of South Korea claims that Samsung now wants to sell its PC business and that it's talking to Chinese giant Lenovo about a potential deal.
- 17 Nov 2016:According to the Korea International Trade Association, South Korea recorded a trade surplus of US$29.8 billion in its trade with China for the first 10 months of this year. The amount fell 24% from a year ago whereas South Korea's total exports showed a negative growth of 12% during the same period. The trade surplus is estimated to reach US$35.7 billion at the end of this year. For reference, South Korea posted its all-time high trade surplus with respect to China, US$62.8 billion, in 2013.
- 16 Nov 2016:According to the latest rumor from its home country of South Korea, Samsung is thinking about making the Galaxy S8 come with a pressure-sensitive display. If you're wondering what that means, just think Apple's 3D Touch on iPhones - that's basically it. The technology detects how hard you press on the screen, and this can be used by software to enable different functionality depending on the pressure level applied. The rumor is reportedly coming from multiple industry sources, as well as a senior executive at Samsung's component division.
- 8 Nov 2016:The influence-peddling scandal shadowing South Korean President Park Geun-hye is raising fresh questions about decades of cozy ties between the nation's big conglomerates and those in power.
- 1 Nov 2016:Samsung Note 7 debacle, Hyundai Motor strike undermine South Korean exports (Nov 1) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaSouth Korea's exports fell in October because of problems at two of its biggest companies, with Samsung Electronics abandoning its trouble-plagued Galaxy Note 7 and Hyundai Motor suffering a lengthy labor strike.
- The fund will have a size of about KRW200 billion (US$175.4 million), of which KRW50 billion will be financed by Samsung Electronics and KRW25 billion by SK Hynix.
- 17 Oct 2016:Samsung and the South Korean government launched separate investigations last week to find the cause of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone that caught fire in several instances across the globe.
- 26 Sep 2016:Samsung said on Sunday that it would be delaying the restart of sales in the country by three days until October 1st. The reason is apparently that the company needs more time and stock to speed up the completion of the recall in the country. The problem also seems to be compounded by the fact that Samsung believes the return of regular sales will cause a decline in the number of customers returning their phones.
- 22 Aug 2016:China's Tsinghua Unigroup, which has been active in overseas semiconductor investment, is eyeing small and mid-sized South Korean chip firms with specialty solutions, a local report has said.
- 21 Jul 2016:After 17 months of investigation, the Fair Trade Commission of South Korea is set to fine Qualcomm up to KRW1 trillion (US$900 million) for abusing its patents.
- 15 Jul 2016:It is no secret that smartphone component manufacturing is slowing down, so is Samsung aiming for the next booming business, supplying batteries to electric vehicles?
- 5 Jul 2016:Samsung has officially denied The Korea Times report that it has split off its OLED display business and plans to get rid of its LCD production lines. While the statement denies Samsung has already split off its OLED business, it doesn't necessarily mean it might not do so in the future.
- 1 Jun 2016:A clone of the Facebook social media site has briefly appeared in North Korea before quickly going offline.
- 6 Apr 2016:The patent application, filed in South Korea, shows a contact lens equipped with a tiny display, a camera, an antenna, and several sensors that detect movement and the most basic form of input using your eyes: blinking. The display projects images directly into the eye of the wearer. An external device, a smartphone, is needed for processing.
- 26 Feb 2016:Now though a new rumor out of South Korea claims that Apple's big spring event has been pushed back - though just by exactly one week. Hence, it's apparently going to take place on March 22.
- 8 Jan 2016:South Korea's No. 2 mobile carrier KT has suspended selling China-based Xiaomi's smartphone, industry sources said Wednesday, only two days after it started sales.
- 19 Nov 2015:Qualcomm says South Korea recommends fine for alleged antitrust violations (Nov 18) - Wall Street JournalQualcomm faces new antitrust charges in South Korea that focus on a foundation of the chipmaker's lucrative patent-licensing business.
- 8 Sep 2015:Samsung is targeting workers in the human resources, public relations and finance departments, Korea Economic Daily reported Tuesday, citing people it didn't identify.
- 22 Aug 2015:North Korea had earlier issued a deadline for the dismantling of banks of loudspeakers, which have been blasting news bulletins, weather forecasts and music from the South. It had moved artillery into positions to fire on them.
- 3 Jul 2015:South Korea's government has proposed pumping billions of dollars into its economy as it struggles with falling exports and an outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers).
- 25 Jun 2015:Pantech, which has been in court receivership since August last year, has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Seoul Central District Court's approval for a possible merger and acquisition with a consortium led by South Korean optical disc drive (ODD) manufacturer Optis on June 16.
- 4 Jun 2015:Apple has announced Apple Watch will be available in Italy, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland and Taiwan beginning Friday, June 26 from the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.
- 27 May 2015:Failing to find viable buyers, the debt-ridden South Korean smartphone-maker Pantech has decided to end court receivership.
- South Korea confirmed a fourth case of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) on Tuesday, saying a daughter of the third patient was found to have been infected with the viral virus.
- 13 May 2015:The world's most expensive semiconductor fabrication plant - at over US$14 billion - was announced at the ground breaking ceremony Thursday (May 7) by Samsung. Located in the Godeok Industrial Complex at Pyeongtaek City Gyeonggi-do Province - called "Samsung Semiconductor Valley" - in South Korea, Samsung will be building 10-nanometer FinFET semiconductors there.
- 24 Apr 2015:Samsung Electronics is set to spend at least another 10 trillion won (US$9.2 billion) to boost capacity at a new South Korean chip plant, a 64% increase over announced investment plans, domestic online news service MoneyToday reported.
- 7 Apr 2015:Dow Chemical is under pressure to deal with financial troubles in its Korean businesses after its strategic plans were put on hold due to issues with two major Korean clients.
- 25 Feb 2015:Samsung Electronics, China trade deal give boost to South Korea's yuan hub ambitions (Feb 24) - ReutersSamsung Electronics gave a big boost on Wednesday to Seoul's ambitions to become a global hub for the offshore yuan business, saying it was preparing to start trading the Chinese currency directly with the South Korean won.
- Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) of China is seeking to take over Dongbu HiTek, industry sources said Monday.
- 24 Feb 2015:According to a new report (Korean) from South Korea, LG has started working on a next-generation high-end SoC that's going to use the recently announced Cortex-A72 CPU and an unnamed Mali GPU (likely the high-end Mali-T880).
- The new owner of Pantech is set to be announced soon, industry sources said Monday, with a US asset management firm highly likely to win the bid through a private contract.
- 27 Jan 2015:Korean businesses invested US$3.97 billion in China, up almost 30 percent compared to 2013 and the most since 2006, according to the Korea International Trade Association on Sunday.
- 25 Jan 2015:Growth in Asia's fourth largest economy, South Korea, fell to a six year low in the fourth quarter of 2014.
- 3 Dec 2014:Samsung's Exynos SoC could be built entirely in-house, in time for Galaxy Note 5 (Dec 2) - Tom's Hardware GuideAccording to sources from South Korea, Samsung may be planning to build not just its own CPU core based on the ARMv8 architecture, but also its own GPU technology. We could see the new GPU, and possibly the new CPU as well, inside next year's Galaxy Note 5 device.
- 25 Nov 2014:South Korea's Samsung Electronics has secured a licence to invest US$3 billion to expand its production in northern Vietnam, the Vietnamese government said.
- 19 Nov 2014:Korea Times claims Samsung will be lead supplier for next year's A-series chips (Nov 17) - 9to5Mac.comKorea Times is claiming that a deal has been struck with Apple for Samsung to supply 80% of the chips for next year's iPhones and iPads, with TSMC picking up the balance of orders.
- 10 Nov 2014:The leaders of China and South Korea have reached broad agreement on a bilateral free-trade deal, allowing Korean firms enhanced access to China's huge market and marking a diplomatic victory of sorts for Beijing.
- 18 Dec 2013:SK Hynix plans to build a new factory in South Korea to meet the growing demand for mobile devices, according to two people familiar with the matter.
- 4 Dec 2013:A reported deal between Chinese firm Huawei and South Korea to develop the country's broadband network, has prompted concerns in the US.
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan top foundries to enjoy particularly strong 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan server revenues may reach NT$600 billion in 2017
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Display dominance in AMOLED to face challenge from China makers beginning 2019
- Digitimes Research: China mobile AP shipments to rise 11.6% in 4Q16
- PALWONN/ABONTOUCH's AbonMax series touch panel took challenges against Microsoft Surface Hub and Google Jamboard
- Join CAYIN at InfoComm MEA 2016 to discover the next-gen digital signage
- Clientron to introduce new 12" all-in-one POS Bello620
- Tatung builds highly energy-efficient commercial air conditioning systems with air-cooled and parallel chiller units
- Advantest will present product exhibits, live demonstrations and a technical paper at SEMICON Japan, December 14-16 in Tokyo
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...