- 27 Apr 2017:Samsung rides components business to highest quarterly profit in 3 years (Apr 26) - Wall Street JournalSamsung Electronics' flourishing components business helped the South Korean technology giant notch up its highest quarterly profit in more than three years, as the company said that it would not adopt a holding company structure after a monthslong internal review.
- 7 Apr 2017:Samsung Electronics is expecting operating profits of KRW9.9 trillion ($8.8 billion) for the first quarter of 2017, its second-highest quarterly profit, thanks to strong performance from its chip business and despite the absence of the Galaxy Note 7.
- 6 Apr 2017:A Chinese court has ordered Samsung Electronics' mainland subsidiaries to pay CNY80 million ($11.60 million) to Huawei Technologies for patent infringement, the China firm's first victory against Samsung on its legal challenges over intellectual property.
- Samsung Electronics and SK hynix will adopt the world's first spray-type electromagnetic interference, or EMI shielding technology, for their respective chip production lines from June, according to industry sources.
- 5 Apr 2017:Record earnings at Samsung Electronics' chip division are set to propel the tech giant's first-quarter profit to a three-and-a-half-year high, and the quarters ahead could be even better if its newest smartphone, Galaxy S8, is a success.
- 29 Mar 2017:The supply of Samsung Electronics' upcoming flagship smartphone, presumably the Galaxy S8, may fail to meet demand due to the sluggish production of Qualcomm chipsets, industry sources said Tuesday.
- 27 Mar 2017:Qualcomm prevented Samsung Electronics, its biggest client for Snapdragon chip-sets, from selling its own Exynos counterpart to third-parties, South Korea's Fair Trade Commission claimed.
- High-end smartphones took up less than 30% of Samsung Electronics' combined sales of handsets, data showed Monday, although the figure is expected to rebound after the launch of the tech giant's upcoming new flagship model this week.
- 23 Mar 2017:Samsung Electronics is considering large-scale marketing activities for the upcoming Galaxy S8, including unconditional refunds after up to three-month use.
- 21 Mar 2017:Samsung Electronics said Tuesday its chip factory under construction in southern Seoul is expected to start production in the first half of 2017 as scheduled. The new line is expected to focus on the production of 3-D Vertical NAND (V-NAND) flash memory.
- Samsung Electronics will invest about KRW10 trillion (US$8.7 billion) in Hwaseong Campus in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea to build a new line to produce memory DRAMs.
- 20 Feb 2017:Despite the calamities surrounding Samsung's heir apparent Lee Jae-Yong right now, the shareholders of Harman International have voted to approve the company's merger with Samsung Electronics.
- 15 Feb 2017:Apple is in discussions with China's BOE Technology to supply next-generation displays for future iPhones, a key component that's being provided by a Samsung Electronics unit, people familiar with the matter said.
- 6 Feb 2017:Samsung Electronics and SK hynix are expected to engage in the automotive semiconductor industry in earnest as the global market is expected to grow 7.1% annually by 2020.
- 3 Feb 2017:Samsung Electronics may build a US plant for its home appliances business, a person familiar with the matter said, the latest global firm to consider a response to criticism about imports from new US President Donald Trump.
- Samsung Electronics is discussing a supply deal with Japan's Murata Manufacturing for batteries for its next-generation smartphone.
- 2 Feb 2017:According to electronics and display industry sources, LG Display recently agreed with Samsung Electronics to supply its two to three models of 40- to 60-inch LCD TV panels. The two companies are discussing the contract details, such as model, price and supply time, and are about to enter into a final agreement.
- LG Display has scored a deal to supply television displays to rival Samsung Electronics from as soon as 2017, people with direct knowledge of the matter said.
- 23 Jan 2017:The higher battery density of the Galaxy Note 7 compared to its predecessor was not the root cause of the phones catching fire, according to Samsung Electronics' mobile boss DJ Koh.
- 16 Jan 2017:The results of the investigation will likely be announced on Jan. 23, a day before it announces detailed fourth-quarter earnings results, said the person, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter and declined to be identified.
- 7 Jan 2017:Apple is planning to open its first retail store in South Korea, moving onto the home turf of smartphone rival Samsung Electronics.
- Samsung Electronics has reported a 50% profit surge in its guidance for the fourth quarter despite the fiasco with its flagship Note 7 phone. The earnings estimate is higher than analysts predicted and would mark its highest quarterly profit since 2013.
- 6 Jan 2017:The Galaxy Note 8 should be released in the second half of 2017, following the Galaxy S8 series that's set to be released in April.
- South Korea's LG Display said it was in talks with Samsung Electronics about a supply agreement for television display panels.
- 4 Jan 2017:Samsung's chip, screen sales to drive fourth quarter profit to three-year high - analysts (Jan 4) - Reuters UKSamsung Electronics is likely to forecast its best quarterly profit in nearly three years on Friday, analysts said, with robust memory chip sales easing the pain of the costly failure of a flagship smartphone.
- 30 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics plans to mass produce 64-layer NAND flash memory for the first time in the world early in 2017, while SK hynix plans to mass produce 72-layer NAND flash in the second half of 2017 jumping over 64-layer NAND flash.
- 29 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is expected to rack up a handsome profit of almost KRW9 trillion over the fourth quarter, demonstrating a major turnaround from the disappointing third quarter performance due to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle.
- 26 Dec 2016:SK Hynix, one of South Korea's leading manufacturers of memory semiconductors, plans to leapfrog rival Samsung Electronics to mass produce the most-advanced generation of NAND flash - chips that feature 72 layers of data-storing cells.
- 15 Dec 2016:SK Hynix is going to mass-produce 10-nano-range DRAMs in 2017 and this will be the world's second mass-production of 10-nano-range DRAMs followed by Samsung Electronics. At the same time when it is finished with development of 1x DRAM, it is going to start developing 1y DRAM and also build up its competitive edge for the future by establishing a development team for 1z DRAM.
- 14 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is considering a reorganization of the System LSI division in order to systematically grow the system semiconductor business. The company is planning to separate the design and manufacturing sectors in the business unit and divide or spin off it to fabless and foundry business divisions.
- 1 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is facing a patent lawsuit from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology in the US, the institute confirmed Wednesday.
- 29 Nov 2016:Samsung Electronics said it will disclose plans to boost shareholder value on Tuesday - a move that comes amid pressure from US fund Elliott Management to split the company in two and provide more in payouts.
- 23 Nov 2016:South Korean authorities have raided the offices of Samsung and the national pension fund as part of a corruption investigation linked to the president.
- 1 Nov 2016:Samsung Note 7 debacle, Hyundai Motor strike undermine South Korean exports (Nov 1) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaSouth Korea's exports fell in October because of problems at two of its biggest companies, with Samsung Electronics abandoning its trouble-plagued Galaxy Note 7 and Hyundai Motor suffering a lengthy labor strike.
- The fund will have a size of about KRW200 billion (US$175.4 million), of which KRW50 billion will be financed by Samsung Electronics and KRW25 billion by SK Hynix.
- Samsung Electronics said strength in its semiconductor business offset the impact to its mobile phone business caused by exploding batteries in its flagship Galaxy Note 7 products.
- 19 Oct 2016:A chat with Meizu's VP of sales and marketing, Li Nan, revealed that the manufacturer encountered problems with the chipset and 4G network compatibility. It seems something about the chip's integrated modem has troubled Meizu, hence the company doesn't want to risk developing a potentially faulty device.
- 11 Oct 2016:Samsung Electronics tumbled after asking retail partners to stop sales and exchanges of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, the latest blow for South Korea's largest company in the midst of a crisis over exploding batteries.
- 12 Sep 2016:Tech giant Samsung Electronics is gearing up to fully operate a production line for 3D NAND flash memory at its plant in Hwaseong City, Gyeonggi Province. Considering the one-month period to build the equipment and tools, it is expected that the facility will likely be in full operation around the end of 2016.
- 8 Sep 2016:Samsung Electronics is selling about half of its stake in chip-equipment supplier ASML Holding in a private placement valued at about EUR606 million (US$681 million).
- eCloudvalley-AWS leader in the greater China region
- Advantest to showcase ATE Solutions at SEMICON Southeast Asia, April 25-27 in Penang
- Innodisk's latest SSD hits the sweet spot
- Microtips pioneers wireless charging platform development to jointly create an industry ecosystem
- Celebrating its 20th anniversary, Microtips focuses on continuing revenue growth rather than rapid expansion
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Taiwan market: Paypal enhances service by disabling domestic payment processing
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
As part of Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen's five-plus-two innovative industries initiative, Taiwan is...
The global reaction to the aggressive investment strategy adopted by China-based Tsinghua Unigroup...
AMD has been aggressively looking to expand its presence in the PC market. It has released its new...
Kuka Robotics, as the world's leading maker of robots used in automobile manufacturing, has been making...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...