- 5 Oct 2016:Micron Technology has said it is seeing signs of tight supplies of memory chips, a good omen for the company's bottom line but a potential worry for makers of smartphones, computers and other high-tech products.
- 12 Sep 2016:Looking at 2017, the semiconductor industry should see tight DRAM/NAND supply due to unbalanced supply conditions. Mea
- Tech giant Samsung Electronics is gearing up to fully operate a production line for 3D NAND flash memory at its plant in Hwaseong City, Gyeonggi Province. Considering the one-month period to build the equipment and tools, it is expected that the facility will likely be in full operation around the end of 2016.
- 21 Jul 2016:Toshiba is planning to start the manufacturing of the world's first 64-layer 3D NAND flash memory chips in the third quarter of 2016 with Samsung Electronics being expected to release the same type of products in the following quarter.
- 5 Jul 2016:Report : Toshiba, Western Digital commit JPY1.5 trillion on flash memory production (Jul 4) - NASDAQ.comToshiba and US partner Western Digital will commit 1.5 trillion yen or US$14.6 billion over three years toward stepping up flash memory production at their jointly run Japanese plant, in a bid to widen global market share, Nikkei reported.
- 15 Jun 2016:The announcement comes after Korean news media reported that Samsung is planning to invest around KRW25 trillion (US$21.2 billion)- some claimed KRW2.5 trillion - to beef up its production lines for 3D NAND flash memory in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province.
- 2 Mar 2016:SK Hynix plans to invest up to KRW15.5 trillion (US$12.5 billion) to build a new memory chip plant next to its Cheongju facility in North Chungcheong Province.
- 15 Feb 2016:Micron announced that it is shipping 2 bit per cell flash memory (MLC) and three bit per cell (TLC) 3D flash memory and that the majority of its total NAND flash output will be on 3D NAND by the second half of 2016.
- 23 Dec 2015:The estimate of its first loss in more than two years sent the company's shares down 5.7% to $13.78 in extended trading on Tuesday.
- 21 Oct 2015:Intel to spend at least $3.5 billion converting China plant for memory chips (Oct 20) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Intel's move comes as the chip industry undergoes a wave of consolidation and China steps up efforts to build local technology manufacturing capacity.
- 13 Oct 2015:
- 18 Aug 2015:SK Group is considering pouring about 46 trillion won ($38 billion) over the next few years to expand the production facilities of its chipmaking unit SK hynix, officials said Monday.
- 17 Jul 2015:Altera has developed a storage reference design based on its Arria 10 SoCs, which doubles the life of NAND flash and can increase the number of program-erase cycles by up to 7X compared to current NAND flash implementations.
- 15 Jul 2015:The deal, if true, could have broad implications for Micron's technology partner, Intel and NAND-chip competitor SanDisk.
- SanDisk has shipped more than two billion microSD cards since it started commercial shipment of the technology ten years ago.
- 1 Jul 2015:Micron Technology was bullish about the coming year at a conference in May, but its latest quarterly earnings released in late June have investors less optimistic.
- 26 Jun 2015:Micron Technology said it expects a further decline in prices of chips used in personal computers, and forecast revenue for the current quarter well below market estimates.
- 27 Mar 2015:
- 12 Jan 2015:Toshiba will decide during the next business year from April on where to build an additional memory chip plant and will consider overseas locations for the facility, according to company CEO Hisao Tanaka.
- 10 Nov 2014:According to industry sources, Apple has decided to discontinue its use of triple-level cell (TLC) NAND, since the company believes that the functional defects plaguing the 64GB iPhone 6 and the 128GB iPhone 6+ stem from a problem in the controller IC of the TLC NAND flash. The controller IC in question is reportedly made by SSD maker Anobit, which was sold to Apple in 2011.
- 5 Nov 2014:Reports of possible 128GB iPhone 6 Plus recall are false, crashing bug is very rare (Nov 4) - 9to5Mac.comUsers in Apple's support forums have recently highlighted a rare issue that causes iPhones to crash, specifically for users with a large amount of apps installed.
- 4 Nov 2014:As numerous reports of low read performance of the Samsung SSD 840 and 840 EVO using TLC NAND flash have surfaced on the Internet, a problem in the controller IC is considered to be the more likely cause of the defects.
- 12 May 2014:
- 26 Feb 2014:Toshiba develops device controller for embedded NAND flash memory module compliant with JEDEC UFS Ver.2.0 standard (February 25) - Company releaseToshiba has developed what it claims is the world's fastest device controller for embedded NAND flash memory modules compliant with the Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Ver.2.0 and UFS Unified Memory Extension (UME) Ver.1.0 standards defined by JEDEC Solid State Technology Association (JEDEC).
- 17 Feb 2014:Samsung Electronics Co said a memory chip plant being built in China will start operations as planned in the first half of 2014 and the company will remain flexible about further investment in the factory.
- 27 Nov 2013:The dynamics of the solid-state state drive market are shifting, and for Abhi Talwalkar it's been a disappointing shift in 2013.
- 26 Aug 2013:Solid-state drive adoption will continue to grow and it will be more than 10 years before it is ultimately replaced by a new memory technology, experts said.
- 3 Jul 2013:The two companies have reached an agreement to share patents for chipmaking technologies.
- 1 Jun 2013:
- 22 May 2013:Toshiba said it will soon begin mass producing a new type of 64Gbit NAND flash that is the smallest and fastest in its class, though it still lags rival Samsung Electronics in the development of an even denser flash technology.
- 16 Apr 2013:Increased spending in NAND and flash by Micron, LEDs by Philips and Osram, and continued investments by Globalfoundries will create new opportunities for equipment and materials suppliers in Southeast Asia.
- 10 Mar 2013:Industry consolidation to just three big DRAM suppliers and a reduction in capital expenditures among these manufacturers helped propel DRAM average selling prices (ASPs) up 13% year over year in January. Capex budgets are also being trimmed for NAND flash (though not nearly as much as DRAM), and that, along with ongoing unit demand, has put upward pressure on ASPs for these memory devices as well.
- 6 Feb 2013:Toshiba develops high-speed NANO Flash-100 flash memory for ARM core based microcontrollers (February 4) - Company releaseToshiba has subsequently brought this high level performance to its original microcontrollers and to ARM core-based microcontrollers. The newly-developed NANO Flash-100 achieves a zero-wait cycle during random access at 100MHz operation.
- 11 Jan 2013:New Micron and Crucial M500 SSDs offer affordable, high-capacity storage (January 10) - Company releaseThe M500 SSD utilizes Micron's 20nm multilevel cell (MLC) NAND flash to achieve terabyte-class capacity and enable a new level of SSD price competitiveness; the 960GB Crucial M500 SSD will be initially priced under US$600.
- 1 Aug 2012:Memory maker Spansion, which reported strong second-quarter earnings today, has an "aggressive" roadmap to boost its product-introduction rate and break its latest design-win record.
- 30 Jul 2012:Toshiba's first-quarter operating profit is expected to exceed JPY10 billion (US$127.9 million), the Nikkei reported, more than double the profit recorded in the same period a year earlier.
- 22 Jun 2012:Micron Technology has acquired Intel's 18% interest in IM Flash Singapore and the assets of IM Flash Technologies located at Micron's Virginia wafer fab. At the same time the scope of the JV between Intel and Micron has been expanded to include certain emerging memory technologies and Intel has prepaid US$300 million against future purchases of NAND flash memory.
- 11 Jun 2012:LSI has announced several demonstrations of its SandForce SF-2000 flash storage processors using Toshiba 19nm and Intel 20nm NAND flash memory - the most advanced flash memory technology currently available for SSD applications.
- 24 May 2012:Spansion's five-year technology roadmap includes 1Gb-8Gb SLC NAND solutions on 4Xnm technology today, 3Xnm technology by end of 2012 and 2Xnm in 2014.
- Innodisk launches digital input/output expansion cards suitable for industrial systems
- AVerMedia introduces video capture and streaming solutions, targeting application opportunities in four major sectors
- PALWONN/ABONTOUCH's AbonMax series touch panel took challenges against Microsoft Surface Hub and Google Jamboard
- Join CAYIN at InfoComm MEA 2016 to discover the next-gen digital signage
- Clientron to introduce new 12" all-in-one POS Bello620
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...