- 15 Feb 2017:Apple patents screen tech capable of reading fingerprints without dedicated sensor (Feb 14) - Apple InsiderAn Apple patent grant on Tuesday suggests the company is looking to leverage its LuxVue acquisition to integrate display technology capable of reading a user's fingerprint without a dedicated sensor, a design feature rumored to see release with "iPhone 8."
- 23 Jan 2017:EDA firm ATopTech has filed a voluntary petition under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- 14 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is considering a reorganization of the System LSI division in order to systematically grow the system semiconductor business. The company is planning to separate the design and manufacturing sectors in the business unit and divide or spin off it to fabless and foundry business divisions.
- 23 Nov 2016:Some insiders of the company are suggesting to reorganize the System LSI division in order to systematically grow the system semiconductor business. They are planning to separate the design and manufacturing sectors in the division and separate or spin off to fabless and foundry business divisions.
- 20 Oct 2016:Foxconn to enter chip market, partner with ARM on design center in Shenzhen (Oct 20) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaKey iPhone assembler Hon Hai Precision Industry, also known as Foxconn Technology Group, is trying to expand its foothold in the semiconductor industry by partnering with SoftBank Group-owned ARM to create a chip design center in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 3 Oct 2016:Samsung researchers are working on a new approach to computing that could revamp data centers, said a corporate strategist. Separately, at an event hosted by the Korean giant, a startup sketched out plans to bring magnetic resonance imaging to a wearable consumer device.
- 28 Sep 2016:First they came for the bulky 30-pin docking connector. Then the 3.5mm headphone jack was removed from the iPhone. What will Apple remove next? A newly granted patent published today by the US Patent and Trademark Office offers another clue. In a bid to reduce the physical imperfections on the iPhone's external design, Apple could drop the lightning port.
- 30 Aug 2016:Apple has been sued by owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus smartphones who say a design defect causes the phones' touchscreens to become unresponsive, making them unusable
- 26 Jul 2016:IBM has announced that, in collaboration with foundry-giant Samsung, it is using a spin-transfer torque (STT) design on its MRAM.
- 5 Jul 2016:Developed by Prof. Daniel Sanchez and team, Swarm is a 64-core chip that includes specialised circuitry for both executing and prioritizing tasks in a simple and efficient manner.
- 22 Jun 2016:Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 24 May 2016:Synopsys has completed the acquisition of Gold Standard Simulations, a leading provider of TCAD and EDA simulation solutions for design technology co-optimization (DTCO) of advanced process nodes.
- 30 Mar 2016:EDA and IP vendor Synopsys has introduced a new custom design tool that aims to help offset design challenges posed by the era of FinFETs with an intuitive concept dubbed visually assisted automation.
- 23 Mar 2016:Apple in "advanced talks" to acquire Imagination Technologies for PowerVR GPU (Mar 22) - Ars TechnicaApple is in "advanced talks" to acquire British chip design company Imagination Technologies, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions. When Ars sought comment, Imagination Technologies refused to deny any such planned takeover.
- 18 Feb 2016:
- 14 Jan 2016:Though the Apple Pencil is simple on the outside, the inner workings of the iPad Pro stylus are a major technological achievement, a new analysis from the silicon experts at Chipworks has found.
- 10 Dec 2015:The news that Apple is making its own GPU makes sense as the outfit has more money than it knows what to do with and it has some experience with inhouse chip design.
- 6 Nov 2015:
- 14 Oct 2015:SanDisk and HP launch partnership to create memory-driven computing solutions (Oct 8) - Company releaseSanDisk and HP have announced a long-term partnership to collaborate on a new technology within the Storage Class Memory (SCM) category. The partnership will center around HP's Memristor technology and expertise and SanDisk's non-volatile ReRAM memory technology and manufacturing and design expertise to create new enterprise-wide solutions for Memory-driven Computing.
- 13 Oct 2015:Qualcomm has revealed its plans to enter the server CPU market with a custom processor based on a design from UK chip company ARM.
- 28 Sep 2015:Apple A9 chip cores in iPhone 6s and 6s Plus deliver a processor punch to Samsung, Qualcomm (Sep 25) - Apple InsiderPreliminary testing of Apple's latest A-series mobile Application Processor shows that it brings a big jump in general CPU performance over last year's already speedy A8. It also advances Apple's lead in proprietary ARM core design performance over Samsung and Qualcomm.
- 7 Aug 2015:
- 22 Jul 2015:Imagination appoints industry veteran to lead its expanding China operations (Jul 22) - Company releaseImagination Technologies has announced the appointment of industry veteran James Liu as general manager for its expanding China operations. Liu brings to Imagination 20+ years of experience in the China electronics design industry.
- 17 Jul 2015:Altera has developed a storage reference design based on its Arria 10 SoCs, which doubles the life of NAND flash and can increase the number of program-erase cycles by up to 7X compared to current NAND flash implementations.
- 23 Jun 2015:The design center will focus on the development of leading edge technologies targeting 4G/5G protocols and the Internet of Things.
- 26 May 2015:His name previously came to prominence during an Apple v Samsung patent fight in 2012, when court filings revealed he had played a key role in the design of the original iPhone.
- 6 May 2015:
- 7 Apr 2015:There are a few possible explanations for the lack of Cortex-A57 design wins, and they involve physics and economics.
- 16 Mar 2015:Synopsys Galaxy Design Platform enables 90% of volume-production FinFET designs (Mar 10) - Company releaseSynopsys has announced that its Galaxy Design Platform enables 90% of the production tapeouts of FinFET-based designs.
- 2 Feb 2015:Morgan Stanley analyst Joseph Moore commented on the rumor that BLX IC Design is interested in acquiring Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and outlined some obstacles that may face a potential suitor for the company.
- 16 Jan 2015:Lee Don-tae, former co-president of UK design consulting firm Tangerine, founded by Apple's Jony Ive, has been hired by Samsung Electronics as its new head of global design.
- 31 Dec 2014:
- 3 Dec 2014:
- 7 Nov 2014:Globalfoundries and Invecas intro new dedicated design service partner for leading-edge technologies (Nov 6) - Company releaseGlobalfoundries has announced a partnership with Invecas, a newly formed design services provider focused on accelerating customer introduction of new products on leading-edge semiconductor process technologies.
- 18 Aug 2014:
- 6 Feb 2014:Cadence to enhance high-level synthesis offering with acquisition of Forte Design Systems (February 5) - Company releaseCadence Design Systems has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Forte Design Systems, a provider of SystemC-based high-level synthesis (HLS) and arithmetic IP.
- 14 Oct 2013:ARM has opened a new Design Center in Noida, North India. The center will focus on IP design in specialized areas such as planar and FinFET CMOS technologies and address the growing needs of ARM partners.
- 2 Sep 2013:Imagination Technologies will release a new CPU design in 2014 for low-power servers.
- 15 Jul 2013:If Apple owned capacity at a fab, it would give the company the kind of control over both design and chip manufacturing that Intel has.
- 10 Apr 2013:Cadence, TSMC strengthen collaboration on design infrastructure for 16nm FinFET process (April 8) - Company releaseCadence Design Systems has announced an ongoing multi-year agreement with TSMC to develop the design infrastructure for 16-nanometer FinFET technology, targeting advanced node designs for mobile, networking, servers and FPGA applications.
- Digitimes Research: ADAS expected to become mainstream car-driving safety system
- Digitimes Research: NTT DoCoMo, KDDI, SoftBank step into power supply
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone AP shipments to fall 16% in 1Q17
- Digitimes Research: January shipments of Wintel notebooks down on month, up on year
- Spirox resolved to propose termination of exclusive distributor agreement with Xcerra Corporation
- Litemax 7 products received the 25th Taiwan Excellence Award
- Advantest Will Showcase Products, Demonstrations and a Technical Paper at SEMICON Korea, February 8-10 in Seoul
- ABB wins $640 million mega deal for long distance power transmission link in India
- ThroughTek listed as Taiwan's first IoT company on the emerging stock board
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...