- 11 Dec 2014:Many sensors, including MEMS devices, require thorough calibration and test before being assembled into the end node device.
- 31 Oct 2014:SiTime, a MEMS and analog semiconductor company, has signed a definitive agreement under which MegaChips, a top 25 fabless semiconductor company based in Japan, will acquire SiTime for US$200 million in cash.
- 11 Feb 2014:
- 8 Nov 2013:MEMS sensors and hands-free interfaces will revolutionize mobile devices, says ABI Research - ABI ResearchAccelerometers, gyroscopes, NFC and gesture recognition are predicted to be the big winners in mobile devices. These mobile technologies are projected to make the greatest penetration gains over the coming years, according to ABI Research.
- 1 Nov 2013:Hillcrest Labs launches low power sensor hub for smartphones, tablets, wearables and the Internet of Things (October 29) - Company releaseHillcrest's SH-1 sensor hub includes sensor fusion, gesture recognition, and ?˜always on' functions for context aware applications.
- InvenSense intros world's first motion tracking SoC optimized for Google Android KitKat 4.4 (October 31) - Company releaseInvenSense has announced the 6-axis MPU-6515 MEMS SoC and corresponding MotionApps software platform optimized to support key new functions introduced in Android KitKat.
- 15 Oct 2013:InvenSense to acquire MEMS microphone business line from Analog Devices (October 14) - Company releaseInvenSense and Analog Devices have entered into a definitive purchase agreement for InvenSense to acquire all of the assets of ADI that are exclusively related to ADI's MEMS microphone business line including intellectual property, goodwill and certain tangible and intangible assets.
- 23 Sep 2013:Tronics Microsystems, a MEMS manufacturer headquartered in Grenoble, France, has appointed Pascal Langlois as CEO.
- 22 Jul 2013:Wolfson Audio Hub adopted for Sharp's latest smartphone and tablet devices (July 11) - Company releaseWolfson's WM5102 HD audio hub has been adopted by Sharp for its new range of AQUOS smartphone and tablet devices.
- 25 Jun 2013:Chipmaker Qualcomm is now Sharp's third-largest shareholder following the completion of a US$120 million investment in the ailing electronics firm.
- 27 Mar 2013:I have to admit I missed this item of news that came out last October. And the news was that successful MEMS company InvenSense had announced that its founder and CEO, Steve Nasiri, would be stepping down from the company.
- 18 Mar 2013:Seven O-S-D product categories and device groups reached record-high sales in 2012 compared to 14 new records being set in 2011.
- 16 Jan 2013:Chipmaker InvenSense aims to guide you through malls, subways (January 9) - Reuters (via Yahoo! News)InvenSense , which makes gyroscopes and other motion sensors, plans to sell chips within a couple of years that let smartphones guide their owners up and down escalators, through subway stations and up to specific cubicles within skyscrapers - all places that GPS signals do not currently work well.
- 25 Dec 2012:Processors, memory, manufacturing processes, chip architecture, EDA, MEMS, RF, touch screens, servers and the Internet of Things are markets where startups can still make a difference.
- 12 Sep 2012:Kionix has announced the release of the KXCNL, a configurable accelerometer with dual state machines to allow designers to dynamically program the device for numerous applications.
- 24 Jul 2012:Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC) was the world's largest pure play foundry for MEMS devices in 2011, posting a phenomenal 201% increase in revenue as it gained share from rivals and capitalized on new income streams.
- 6 Jun 2012:STMicroelectronics is the first company in the world that mass-manufactures MEMS microphones in plastic packages. The patented technology breakthrough saves space and increases durability in consumer and professional voice-input applications, from mobile phones and tablets to noise-level meters and noise-cancelling headphones.
- 20 May 2012:STMicrolectronics has filed a complaint in the Northern District of California alleging that InvenSense infringes nine ST patents.
- 14 Mar 2012:STMicroelectronics has secured the business of Apple, supplying MEMS for its iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, as well as the business of Sony. InvenSense, however, has about 70% market share for Google Android-based smartphones.
- 20 Feb 2012:Konica Minolta IJ Technologies has announced that is has developed a silicon MEMS-based inkjet printhead for printed electronics applications. It is due to begin sampling in the second quarter of 2012.
- 15 Feb 2012:MagnaChip ramps 0.35-micron mixed-signal process for MEMS accelerometers (February 13) - Company releaseMagnaChip Semiconductor has announced its 0.35um mixed-signal process is in production for MEMS accelerometer applications.
- 17 Nov 2011:Arrow joins with SiTime to accelerate transition to MEMS-based timing solutions (November 16) - Company releaseSince entering into a global distribution agreement in February 2011, Arrow and SiTime have been actively promoting MEMS oscillators and clock generators in the Asian market to drive the replacement of quartz crystal products with silicon MEMS.
- 8 Nov 2011:MEMS foundry Silex Microsystems has licensed its Sil-Via technology for through silicon vias (TSVs) to Nanoshift for use in the early development of complex MEMS products.
- 28 Oct 2011:Pixtronix and Chimei Innolux jointly develop diagonal MEMS display prototypes (October 28) - AzonanoTFT-LCD manufacturer Chimei Innolux and Pixtronix, a company specialising in developing and licensing multi- media display technologies that are based on low power have jointly developed diagonal MEMS display prototypes measuring 5 in.
- 18 Oct 2011:X-FAB Silicon Foundries and Senodia Technologies (Shanghai) announced they have concluded development and are ramping production of microelectromechanical system (MEMS) gyroscopes for high-volume consumer applications.
- 27 May 2011:STMicroelectronics plans to significantly increase its MEMS production capacity to more than 3 million sensors a day by the end of 2011 to sustain exploding demand.
- 23 May 2011:Accelerometers and gyroscopes didn't attract much consumer notice until they found their way into smartphones. STMicroelectronics CEO Carlo Bozotti believes this business, known as MEMS, will soon generate 10% of the company's revenues.
- Knowles has reached another major milestone in the history of its MEMS technology with the shipment of its two billionth SiSonic MEMS microphone. SiSonicTM microphones are found in all Tier 1 mobile phones and in many other consumer electronic devices including notebooks, headsets and digital still cameras.
- 28 Dec 2010:Analog Devices (ADI) has announced the US ITC ruled decisively in favor of the company in its lawsuit against Knowles Electronics.
- 21 Dec 2010:Globalfoundries and the Institute of Microelectronics (IME), a research institute of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research, are joining hands to develop MEMS capacitive sensor platform technology for power-efficient and highly sensitive motion sensing applications that are relevant to consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace industries.
- 26 Nov 2010:Over the past five years, ST has reduced the size of MEMS accelerometers and gyroscopes from more than 500mm3 to less than 10mm3 while increasing resolution, accuracy, temperature stability and reducing power consumption by a factor 10.
- 6 Oct 2010:
- 16 Sep 2010:"The SiT8503 leverages its silicon MEMS technology and programmable architecture to offer many unique features that are not available from quartz, such as frequency and voltage configurability, small size, low power and extreme ruggedness," said Piyush Sevalia, VP of marketing at SiTime.
- 18 May 2010:An IC foundry has made it into the ranks of the Top 20 MEMS foundries for the first time, as TSMC's roughly US$10 million in MEMS foundry revenues put it into 14th place on Yole Developpement's 2009 listing.
- 3 Mar 2010:
- 21 Jan 2010:
- 18 Jan 2010:
- 24 Nov 2009:
- 16 Oct 2009:SVTC and TSMC to jointly accelerate commercialization of new technologies (Oct 14) - Company releaseSVTC and TSMC will work with developers to bring to market new applications in emerging technologies such as micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS), biochips and other devices incorporating new materials and novel structures.
- Indium Corporation introduces new halogen-free, Pb-free solder paste at APEX
- NEXCOM Fuses Digital & Physical Retail with Responsive Store Solutions
- Clientron to exhibit its latest POS and Thin Client solutions at EuroCIS 2015 and CeBIT 2015
- BIG SUN and SAS sign iPV Solar Tracker exclusive distribution agreement for Germany and Italy
- Nice and easy: IntervalZero speaks on cardless smart controllers
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm antitrust probe reshapes patent licensing in China
- Digitimes Research: Google to finish 2-in-1 Chromebook development in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, LG outsource TV orders to ODMs to secure panel supply
- Digitimes Research: Windows 10 unlikely to bring dramatic changes to mobile device market in 2015
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone industry to report shipment growth of 8.6% for 4Q14
Macronix International, which ranks as the world's second-largest NOR flash supplier with a 19% share...
The applications, demand and service areas for the global storage device industry have seen profound...
Lenovo, which had the fourth-largest market share next to Asustek Computer, Acer and Apple in the Taiwan...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...