- 24 Mar 2017:Micron shares jump as demand for memory chips leads to earnings beat (Mar 23) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Micron Technology gained more than 7% in late trading Thursday after the chipmaker reported better earnings than expected amid reported price hikes for its memory chips.
- 15 Mar 2017:Exclusive: Japan to vet bidders in Toshiba chip sale for national security risks - sources (Mar 10) - ReutersThe Japanese government, fretting over the future of Toshiba's flagship memory chips unit, is prepared to block a sale to bidders it deems a risk to national security, sources said, a stance that gives US suitors a major advantage.
- 7 Jan 2017:Samsung Electronics has reported a 50% profit surge in its guidance for the fourth quarter despite the fiasco with its flagship Note 7 phone. The earnings estimate is higher than analysts predicted and would mark its highest quarterly profit since 2013.
- 20 Dec 2016:Samsung was Apple's main supplier for the iPhones from the very beginning, making the A-series processors and supplying both NAND flash and DRAM memory chips.
- 1 Nov 2016:Toshiba raised its forecast for first-half operating profit by 36% to JPY95 billion (US$906 million), crediting growth in memory chips and hard disk drives, as well as cost-cutting measures.
- 5 Oct 2016:Micron Technology has said it is seeing signs of tight supplies of memory chips, a good omen for the company's bottom line but a potential worry for makers of smartphones, computers and other high-tech products.
- 29 Aug 2016:Phase change memory has a lot to recommend it as a long-term replacement for DRAM - it's fast, it can retain data for long periods of time, and Intel's Optane/3DXPoint is thought to be partially based on phase change memory technology.
- 5 Aug 2016:Seagate Technology said its earnings fell 49% in the latest quarter as the bottom line was hit by expenses related to the disk-drive maker's cost-cutting efforts and other items.
- 21 Jul 2016:Toshiba is planning to start the manufacturing of the world's first 64-layer 3D NAND flash memory chips in the third quarter of 2016 with Samsung Electronics being expected to release the same type of products in the following quarter.
- 14 Apr 2016:Abundant financial resources available from China's National IC Industry Investment Fund, often called the Big Fund, augmented local government-led funds, have lent China's "memory" dream an air of credibility. But setting aside China's aspirations, there is intense scrutiny here about the sources of IPs and engineering talent that China badly needs.
- 24 Mar 2016:Zhao Weiguo wants to create China's first giant in the global semiconductor industry and has a $30 billion investment plan to do it.
- 22 Mar 2016:Samsung Electronics plans to sharply cut its investments in memory chips as part of plans to focus on offsetting the growing risks of the industry's downturn.
- 27 Dec 2015:Toshiba is considering spinning off its mainstay memory-chip business to raise funds for capital investment in an initial public offering.
- 23 Dec 2015:The estimate of its first loss in more than two years sent the company's shares down 5.7% to $13.78 in extended trading on Tuesday.
- 30 Nov 2015:Toshiba on Friday said it is considering selling a minority stake in its semiconductor business to raise funds in the wake of a drawn-out accounting scandal.
- 2 Nov 2015:Samsung Electronic's earnings are heading in the right direction for the first time in nearly two years thanks to its semiconductor and display businesses.
- 27 Oct 2015:This is a huge development for the company's data center business, as its long-term goal is to become a complete provider of data center solutions.
- 21 Oct 2015:Intel to spend at least $3.5 billion converting China plant for memory chips (Oct 20) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Intel's move comes as the chip industry undergoes a wave of consolidation and China steps up efforts to build local technology manufacturing capacity.
- 12 Oct 2015:"We have cooperation with Micron on the business level," Unigroup Chairman Zhao Weiguo said in an interview Sunday, declining to elaborate on the nature of the cooperation. "We'd like to conduct business by cooperating with current memory giants, by setting up JV plants in China."
- Micron Technology is spending over 100 billion yen ($830 million) to enable its Japanese facility in Hiroshima to mass-produce the next generation of memory chips in an attempt to take on global leader Samsung Electronics.
- 5 Oct 2015:The chairman of China's Tsinghua Unigroup traveled to the United States this week to meet with board members of Micron Technology and try to revive a politically fraught takeover bid of the US chipmaker, people familiar with the matter said.
- 17 Aug 2015:Rambus, known for patent battles against chipmakers, is becoming one itself.
- 23 Jul 2015:China's Tsinghua Holdings is still discussing a potential deal to buy US chipmaker Micron Technology and hopes it could eventually go through, the state-backed investment company's chairman told Reuters on Thursday.
- 15 Jul 2015:ASML reports Q2 results in line with guidance, on track for record 2015 sales (Jul 15) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)"We expect to see continued overall business strength in the second half of 2015 due to increased demand from memory and foundry customers compared with our previous expectations," ASML president and CEO Peter Wennink said.
- Sales of PCs that used Micron's memory chips dropped faster than the company expected in 2015 triggering a 50% stock plunge. That drop helped set the stage for Micron, which is known for buying other companies' chip operations, to become a target.
- 31 Oct 2014:Micron Technology said Monday that its board had authorized as much as $1 billion in share buybacks, its first such repurchases in three years.
- 2 Jan 2014:Toshiba and SK Hynix will begin joint production of next-generation memory chips as early as fiscal 2016, bringing them to market ahead of US firm Micron Technology, The Nikkei learned Wednesday.
- 23 Dec 2013:An executive of SK hynix said Thursday the firm will cooperate with Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) to supply highly-advanced chips for data-intensive devices.
- 29 Nov 2013:David Einhorn's hedge fund Greenlight Capital reported a stake of about 23.02 million shares in US memory chipmaker Micron Technology, according to a filing on Monday.
- 25 Nov 2013:DRAM's days numbered as Japan-US chip alliance homes in on MRAM (November 24) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaMore than 20 Japanese and US semiconductor-related companies are teaming up to develop a mass production method for next-generation memory chips.
- 18 Oct 2013:SanDisk more than tripled its quarterly profit, beating analysts' estimates, after a fire at a rival chipmaker increased prices at a time when Apple and other users of its flash memory chips were launching new products.
- 5 Sep 2013:SK Hynix Inc said on Wednesday it had suspended operations at its China plant, which produces around 12% of global computer memory chips, because of a fire.
- 25 Jun 2013:Toshiba also may be among the initial customers since the three companies partner with SK Hynix on the development of resistive random access memory, or ReRam.
- 30 Apr 2013:SK Hynix Semiconductor will be supplying Samsung Electronics with memory chips as early as June, industry sources said on Monday. The firm will supply enough to make up 20% of Samsung's mobile business.
- 18 Apr 2013:Samsung Electronics is considering purchasing mobile memory chips from rival SK Hynix Inc for future products including its new flagship Galaxy S smartphone to be launched this month, JK Shin, head of Samsung's mobile business, said on Thursday.
- 20 Feb 2013:South Korean chipmaker SK Hynix has appointed its research and development (R&D) chief Park Sung-wook as the new chief executive.
- 4 Jan 2013:The company plans to produce three-dimensional (3D) flash memory chips using fine-tuned vertical-stacked-array-transistor (VSAT) technology.
- 18 Oct 2012:Dutch semiconductor-manufacturing equipment maker ASML said Wednesday it sees weak demand in memory chips, and adjusted its second half net sales guidance to the lower end of its earlier EUR2.2 billion-EUR2.4 billion range.
- 8 Sep 2012:Apple instead picked Japan's Toshiba, Elpida Memory and Korea's SK Hynix to supply DRAM and NAND chips.
- 26 Jun 2012:
- CAYIN's latest digital signage player debuts at InfoComm China 2017
- Advantest VOICE 2017 U.S. and China keynote speakers announced
- QSAN launches XS3200 series SAN storage systems for SMB/enterprise market
- UMC and Synopsys collaboration speeds 14-nm custom design
- Advantest and W2BI to Exhibit Advanced Test Solutions at Mobile World Congress
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Kuka Robotics, as the world's leading maker of robots used in automobile manufacturing, has been making...
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...