- 2 Jan 2014:Toshiba and SK Hynix will begin joint production of next-generation memory chips as early as fiscal 2016, bringing them to market ahead of US firm Micron Technology, The Nikkei learned Wednesday.
- 23 Dec 2013:An executive of SK hynix said Thursday the firm will cooperate with Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) to supply highly-advanced chips for data-intensive devices.
- 29 Nov 2013:David Einhorn's hedge fund Greenlight Capital reported a stake of about 23.02 million shares in US memory chipmaker Micron Technology, according to a filing on Monday.
- 25 Nov 2013:DRAM's days numbered as Japan-US chip alliance homes in on MRAM (November 24) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaMore than 20 Japanese and US semiconductor-related companies are teaming up to develop a mass production method for next-generation memory chips.
- 18 Oct 2013:SanDisk more than tripled its quarterly profit, beating analysts' estimates, after a fire at a rival chipmaker increased prices at a time when Apple and other users of its flash memory chips were launching new products.
- 5 Sep 2013:SK Hynix Inc said on Wednesday it had suspended operations at its China plant, which produces around 12% of global computer memory chips, because of a fire.
- 25 Jun 2013:Toshiba also may be among the initial customers since the three companies partner with SK Hynix on the development of resistive random access memory, or ReRam.
- 30 Apr 2013:SK Hynix Semiconductor will be supplying Samsung Electronics with memory chips as early as June, industry sources said on Monday. The firm will supply enough to make up 20% of Samsung's mobile business.
- 18 Apr 2013:Samsung Electronics is considering purchasing mobile memory chips from rival SK Hynix Inc for future products including its new flagship Galaxy S smartphone to be launched this month, JK Shin, head of Samsung's mobile business, said on Thursday.
- 20 Feb 2013:South Korean chipmaker SK Hynix has appointed its research and development (R&D) chief Park Sung-wook as the new chief executive.
- 4 Jan 2013:The company plans to produce three-dimensional (3D) flash memory chips using fine-tuned vertical-stacked-array-transistor (VSAT) technology.
- 18 Oct 2012:Dutch semiconductor-manufacturing equipment maker ASML said Wednesday it sees weak demand in memory chips, and adjusted its second half net sales guidance to the lower end of its earlier EUR2.2 billion-EUR2.4 billion range.
- 8 Sep 2012:Apple instead picked Japan's Toshiba, Elpida Memory and Korea's SK Hynix to supply DRAM and NAND chips.
- 26 Jun 2012:
- 19 May 2012:Researchers have revealed details of a promising way to make a fundamentally different kind of computer memory chip.
- 25 Apr 2012:Sandisk's first quarter results were messy and the outlook wasn't much better. The problem: Sandisk is making all the wrong moves and focusing on the wrong customers in the flash memory market.
- 17 Apr 2012:Micron Technology intends to restructure its balance sheet in a manner that effectively increases its debt.
- 10 Apr 2012:Private equity firms TPG Capital LP and China's Hony Capital are to bid jointly for Elpida Memory, a source familiar with the matter said on Friday, joining an increasingly international battle for the bankrupt Japanese chipmaker.
- 5 Apr 2012:Shares of SanDisk, which makes memory chips, fell Wednesday after it cut its revenue guidance for the first quarter.
- 2 Apr 2012:Micron Technology has reached an agreement to settle a lawsuit filed by Oracle over an alleged conspiracy to increase DRAM prices.
- 30 Mar 2012:Hynix Semiconductor has submitted an initial proposal to bid for Elpida Memory, the Japanese chipmaker that filed for bankruptcy last month. Hiynix said in a regulatory filing that it will decide whether to make a final bid after due diligence.
- Toshiba will bid against Micron Technology to become the sponsor of Japan's failed chipmaker Elpida Memory, the Nikkei newspaper said.
- 29 Mar 2012:Micron Technology facility operations were unaffected after an explosion forced workers to evacuate a company building in Boise, Idaho, according to the city's fire department.
- 23 Mar 2012:Memory chipmaker Micron Technology, which rocked in February by the death of its CEO in a plane crash, on Thursday posted a US$224 million net loss in the second quarter as sales fell.
- 20 Mar 2012:Elpida Memory has filed court papers in US Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware, listing more than US$1 billion in assets and debt. It asked the court to recognize the Japanese case as the main bankruptcy proceeding.
- 13 Mar 2012:Hynix Semiconductor said the chip industry is set to recover from the second half of this year as the prices of DRAM chips have been rebounding following news of Japanese chip maker Elpida Memory's bankruptcy protection filing late last month.
- 2 Mar 2012:With DDR4 DRAM set to hit the market in 2013, two manufacturers took the opportunity at this year's ISSCC to demonstrate their DDR4 DRAM.
- 29 Feb 2012:Intel and Micron Technology have entered into agreements to expand their NAND flash memory joint venture relationship. The agreements include a NAND flash supply agreement for Micron to supply NAND products to Intel and agreements for certain joint venture assets to be sold to Micron.
- Elpida Memory, which filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday, intends to draw up a rehabilitation plan within six weeks, the Nikkei reported.
- 22 Feb 2012:The US Supreme Court Tuesday refused to consider a Hynix Semiconductor appeal that argued Rambus shouldn't be able to enforce certain patents because it misled an organization that sets industry-wide standards for computer memory chips.
- 21 Feb 2012:Flash memory vendor SanDisk is looking for a director of processing engineering management for a 3-D resistive RAM team based in Milpitas. A job ad for the position was posted in SanDisk's website dated Feb. 15, 2012.
- 15 Feb 2012:Hynix Semiconductor jumped to an eight-month high in Seoul trading after Hyundai Securities said contract prices for DRAM chips increased and as financing delays at Japan's Elpida Memory raised the prospect of less competition.
- 14 Feb 2012:Micron Technology president Mark Adams said prices of computer memory have probably hit their lowest after a slump that caused losses at three of the four largest companies in the industry.
- 8 Feb 2012:Renesas Electronics and two other big Japanese chip makers have begun talks to combine their system chip operations and outsource production in a government-backed deal, sources said.
- 1 Feb 2012:The last of three patents that Rambus used to win infringement lawsuits against Nvidia, Hewlett-Packard and others has been declared invalid, according to legal documents.
- 31 Jan 2012:
- 30 Jan 2012:"We delivered a solid fourth quarter amid challenging market conditions," said company president and CEO John Kispert. "2011 was a year of transition and intense product development. Spansion is now well-positioned for growth in the future in areas such as automotive, industrial, communications and gaming..."
- Elpida Memory has entered the final stage of negotiations on a merger with Micron Technology and Taiwan's Nanya Technology, sources said.
- 17 Jan 2012:South Korea's Samsung Group announced it would invest a record 47.8 trillion won (US$41.56 billion) this year and hire an all-time high of 26,000 new employees despite global economic gloom.
- 16 Jan 2012:Elpida Memory aims to put together a drastic restructuring plan by the end of January, which it then hopes to show to its creditor banks, as the struggling chipmaker faces a slew of upcoming corporate bond and loan repayments, the Mainichi Shimbun reported in its Sunday morning edition.
- Three new GKB SDI cameras to strengthen HD-SDI portfolio
- Software AG releases Intelligent Business Operations to handle next generation smart data applications
- Apotop i-Selfie brings you an innovative wireless Selfie snapshot experience
- ECS announces the whole new AMD FM2+ Platform motherboards
- EverFocus ENVR8304E wins Secutech Excellence Award 2014
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Windows tablets gaining traction in Japan
- Digitimes Research: ITO film price drop to slow metal mesh penetration in mid-size touch applications
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan ODMs losing out as PC brand vendors turn to China supply chain for tablets
- Digitimes Research: Over 50% white-box tablets to come with phone functions in 2H14; MediaTek to benefit most
- Digitimes Research: 3-mode smartphones to dominate China entry-level market
More and more players have made inroads into the MEMS microphone industry to cash in on the rising...
The security solutions market is an increasingly important market as the IT industry develops and security...
As part of Toshiba, OCZ Storage Solutions is able to leverage Toshiba's NAND and combine it with its...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...