- 16 Feb 2017:
- For what Intel's data center chief Diane Bryant called the upcoming "10nm+" node, as well as the 7nm manufacturing node to follow, Intel's data center chips will be first on those lines.
- 15 Feb 2017:Intel's Atom C2000 processor family has a fault that effectively bricks devices, costing the company a significant amount of money to correct. But the semiconductor giant won't disclose precisely how many chips are affected nor which products are at risk.
- 14 Feb 2017:Intel's 8th-gen 'Coffee Lake' chips reuse 14nm process as other Core CPUs ease into new tech (Feb 13) - PC WorldWhen Intel added a third 14nm chip 2015, signalling the end of the company's vaunted "tick-tock" manufacturing process, the industry freaked out. A fourth, then, would be absolutely unprecedented.
- 13 Feb 2017:
- 9 Feb 2017:Intel chief executive Brian Krzanich met with President Donald Trump on Wednesday, where the company announced it will invest $7 billion in a factory employing up to 3,000 people.
- 8 Feb 2017:
- 7 Feb 2017:
- 2 Feb 2017:Apple is designing a new chip for future Mac laptops that would take on more of the functionality currently handled by Intel processors, according to people familiar with the matter.
- Intel's next big Moore's Law advance will be a 7nm pilot plant it is establishing this year to explore the upcoming manufacturing process.
- For the coming year, Intel said that revenues would be flat on 2016, in part due to the sale of its security business, but with earnings returning to growth, up from $2.12 a share last year to $2.53 in 2017.
- 26 Jan 2017:
- 12 Jan 2017:
- 10 Jan 2017:
- 6 Jan 2017:After being the first to reach 22nm then subsequently 14nm FinFET, Intel's chip development pace has slowed considerably for the move to 10nm with many losing confidence in Intel's ability to maintain a chip manufacturing advantage over competitors such as TSMC, Samsung, and Globalfoundries.
- 5 Jan 2017:Intel announced a new modem chip for smartphones using faster 5G technologies as it seeks to outpace rival Qualcomm in the battle for next generation mobile gear.
- 4 Jan 2017:
- Transistors on Intel's 10nm generation will still be denser than those on today's 14nm chips-as well as other companies' 10nm offerings, said Intel senior fellow Mark Bohr.
- 30 Dec 2016:
- 29 Dec 2016:Intel aims to gain the upper hand in the budding field of artificial intelligence with a new lineup of chip products in 2017, a senior executive said.
- 15 Dec 2016:
- 9 Dec 2016:After more than half a decade in the making, ARM server chips should have struck gold by now, but they haven't. ARM servers were projected to be approaching a double-digit server market share, but they still are virtually non-existent.
- 8 Dec 2016:
- 6 Dec 2016:Northland Capital Markets's Tom Sepenzis today urges investors to "buy on the dip" Qualcomm's shares, which he rates Outperform, with a $75 price target.
- 30 Nov 2016:Fresh blood and a little reorganizations might be the key for Intel to succeed in two hot new markets - IoT and automotive - that will be crucial for its hopes to reduce its reliance on PCs as the company's main growth generator.
- 29 Nov 2016:As Linley Gwennap, the head of the eponymous research firm Linley Group, sees it, the "16nm" technology of TSMC and the others "is really 19nm," and the planned 7nm "will be about 13nm relative to Intel processes." Intel, he concludes, is a "a full node" ahead of the foundries, "Just as they have been for the past decade."
- Instinet's Romit Shah today asks whether Intel's surprising step-up in its spending outlook presages greater investment in its relationship with Apple or some other project as yet undisclosed.
- 25 Nov 2016:If you ask Anthony Yen, who leads EUV lithography development at TSMC, how critical EUV is to Moore's Law, he won't beat around the bush: "Totally critical. 100 percent critical. Very, very critical." TSMC expects to adopt EUV in 2020, when the company aims to begin producing chips on its 5-nm manufacturing line.
- Qualcomm's X12 is capable of dealing with more channels of data simultaneously than its Intel rival, according to a report by Milan Milanovic, an analyst at Cellular Insights, which tests phones and networks. Apple didn't enable this feature "to level the playing field between Qualcomm and Intel," Milanovic wrote.
- 21 Nov 2016:Intel is denying that the company is stepping back from wearables, though has not directly commented on the layoff news.
- 10 Nov 2016:
- 7 Nov 2016:Among its early backers are technology group Samsung, German engineer Bosch and Hermann Hauser, the founder of Cambridge-based chip designer ARM.
- 4 Nov 2016:
- Zeiss SMT has been a supplier to ASML for 30 years. It makes lenses and other equipment needed to focus the energy beams ASML uses to help companies such as Intel and Samsung create the circuitry of semiconductor chips.
- 26 Oct 2016:
- 21 Oct 2016:iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm LTE modem outperforms Intel LTE modem by significant margin (Oct 20) - Mac RumorsWith the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, Apple elected to use LTE modems from two different sources, Qualcomm and Intel. The A1778 and A1784 iPhone models use a GSM-only Intel XMM7360 modem while the A1660 and 1661 iPhone models use a GSM/CDMA-compatible Qualcomm MDM9645M modem.
- Clientron to present its POS Solution at EuroShop 2017
- Entegris announces higher-purity gas purification system platform with expanded manufacturing in Asia
- Spirox resolved to propose termination of exclusive distributor agreement with Xcerra Corporation
- Litemax 7 products received the 25th Taiwan Excellence Award
- Advantest Will Showcase Products, Demonstrations and a Technical Paper at SEMICON Korea, February 8-10 in Seoul
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...