- 23 Sep 2016:Apple investigating iPhone 7 bug causing 'no service' after turning off Airplane Mode (Sep 19) - Mac RumorsIn a video shared with MacRumors by reader Yasser El-Haggan, an iPhone 7 can be seen with no service alongside an iPhone 6s with two bars of LTE after Airplane Mode is toggled off on both devices. Both of the iPhones are said to be AT&T models, which means the iPhone 7 has an Intel modem rather than a Qualcomm modem used for Verizon and Sprint models.
- 22 Sep 2016:Japan government may divest Japan Display stake if its technology is commoditized, says industry minister (Sep 20) - NASDAQ.comJapan's industry minister said the government would consider divesting its stake in a money-losing maker of smartphone displays unless the company can demonstrate it is more than just a commodity supplier to Apple.
- 19 Sep 2016:It is Apple, not AMD, that threatens Intel's hegemony
- 13 Sep 2016:
- 8 Sep 2016:Apple was the only vendor among the market leaders to post a year-over-year decrease in shipment volumes, primarily because it did not launch a new model on the anniversary of its first generation Watch.
- Apple's products announced today pack at least three new chips including its first wireless SoC to date, showing the company's increasing silicon prowess.
- 6 Sep 2016:In its rush to beat rival products to market, notably Apple's new iPhone, Samsung Electronics has accelerated new phone launch cycles, but its haste is raising concerns that it fell short on quality testing.
- With the help of Apple's iPhone 7 ramp and a big increase in the amount of revenue the company will get from each iPhone, Broadcom's results and guidance were a little better than analysts forecast.
- 5 Sep 2016:Apple Watch 2 components show 'noticeably thinner' display, expected battery boost (Sep 1) - 9to5Mac.comWe're expecting to see Apple introduce the Apple Watch 2 alongside the iPhone 7 at next week's September 7 event, and now alleged components from the updated watch are finally starting to leak.
- 4 Sep 2016:Samsung is replacing all 2.5m units that it has shipped of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone just weeks after its release, because to a spate of exploding batteries.
- 30 Aug 2016:Apple has been sued by owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus smartphones who say a design defect causes the phones' touchscreens to become unresponsive, making them unusable
- 29 Aug 2016:Apple could never recreate the success of the iPhone. But it doesn't need to (Jul 30) - The GuardianWith so many iPhones in use, the combination of replacement sales, adjunct sales (such as its Watch, which currently needs an iPhone to function) and services - its newest focus - has enough momentum to keep Apple profitable.
- Apple invents sapphire coating equipment to strengthen glass for future OLED displays (Aug 26) - Patently AppleThe US Patent and Trademark Office has published a patent application from Apple titled "Electronic Devices with Sapphire-Coated Substrates." The invention is designed to add a sapphire coating to future OLED displays like those that will begin shipping in 2017 and beyond.
- Apple's iOS devices like iPhones and iPads crashed twice as often in the second quarter compared to the previous one, new data shows.
- Intel's recent pledge to expand its business making chips for others highlights its ambition to snatch chip orders for Apple's popular iPhones from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. as early as 2018, industry experts said.
- 28 Aug 2016:Apple may need to contend with a supply shortage of the soon-to-be-released new model of its iPhone during the first round of the rollout, due to problems with faulty components, the Nikkei Asian Review has learned.
- 24 Aug 2016:After the unprecedented breach of hacking tools and exploits stolen from the US National Security Agency's elite hacking unit, some privacy advocates see it as clear vindication of Apple in its fight with the FBI earlier this year.
- Apple accounted for 75% of the smartphone industry's profits in the second quarter, but that's down from more than 90% a year ago due to Samsung's Galaxy device lineup, according to Canaccord Genuity.
- One way Apple will aim to keep the "iPhone 7" competitive is the addition of new fast-charge technology, according to one rumor.
- 18 Aug 2016:
- 16 Aug 2016:Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' predicted to face supply constraints due to new dual-lens camera (Aug 5) - Mac RumorsAmit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets issued a note to investors this week, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, discussing features widely rumored for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" series. Thanks to growing demand for larger "phablet" screens, he predicts that the "iPhone 7 Plus" will account for one-third of production at launch.
- 11 Aug 2016:Given Apple's focus on pushing the performance of its silicon, and TSMC's packaging advancements, it makes sense that TSMC has been able to gain sole possession of Apple's chip orders for at least this generation.
- 10 Aug 2016:RBC Capital analyst Amit Daryanani sees pressure on prices for suppliers, and thinks companies that have something of a "monopoly" should survive this better than others, in particular Broadcom and Analog Devices.
- Russia is investigating Apple over allegations of fixing prices for the iPhone in the country.
- 3 Aug 2016:
- 1 Aug 2016:Apple was awarded a patent in May for several new methods for using biometric technology. Most importantly, the patent enabled Apple to embed the Touch ID fingerprint sensor directly into the screen and use ultrasound imaging to help the fingerprint sensor find a match.
- 26 Jul 2016:
- 22 Jul 2016:It won't be just Apple that might be interested in making a counter-offer. Google, whose Android smartphones are based on ARM, Samsung and TSMC could all benefit from an acquisition of the UK firm.
- 21 Jul 2016:
- 15 Jul 2016:
- Apple supplier LG Display pivots towards OLEDs in face of slower iPhone sales, Chinese competition (Jul 13) - Apple InsiderSamsung is rumored to be in exclusive talks with Apple about OLED supply, and could be set to ship panels as soon as 2017. LG will presumably miss out on supplying OLED screens for 2017 iPhones, but could be in a position to join the supply chain for 2018.
- 14 Jul 2016:After a strong 2H16, TSMC's growth could slow in 2017 (JPMe 4% sales growth), due to already 100% share in iPhone 7 and lack of further customer traction at 10nm, said JP Morgan analyst Gokul Hariharan.
- LG Innotek is expected to exclusively supply dual camera module to Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, which will come out in September this year.
- 13 Jul 2016:
- 12 Jul 2016:
- Financial research firm Cowen and Company believes Intel will supply Apple with 50% or more of the LTE modems needed for "iPhone 7," a win that could generate some $1.5 billion in incremental revenue over the next year for the chipmaker.
- 7 Jul 2016:
- 6 Jul 2016:Apple iPhone 7 shipments could disappoint; Skyworks, Cirrus Logic dive (Jul 5) - Investor's Business DailySkyworks Solutions and Cirrus Logic shares nosedived Tuesday after Pacific Crest analyst Michael McConnell downgraded the stocks and predicted a 15%-20% decline in Apple iPhone 7 shipments later this year compared with shipments of the iPhone 6S after that product was released last September.
- 5 Jul 2016:
- 5G Asia 2016 breakfast briefing hosted by F5
- JJPLUS leads the way in creating a new wireless charging ecosystem
- ABB to divest cable business to NKT Cables
- Smart mobile video systems for police patrol cars, a state-of-the-art technology
- OEM servers featuring Aptio V UEFI firmware support for Diablo technologies' Memory1 module shipping now
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...