- 23 Feb 2017:Intel's modems aren't as good as Qualcomm's, but the company scored a major victory last year when some of its modems began shipping in some models of Apple's iPhone 7.
- 18 Feb 2017:Apple has teamed up with Broadcom to build wireless charging for iPhone, says JPMorgan analyst (Feb 17) - CNBCAn upcoming Apple iPhone is likely to have a customized wireless charging system made with Broadcom, according to JPMorgan analyst Harlan Sur.
- Apple will in the coming months start assembling its lower-priced iPhone SE models at a contract manufacturer's plant in the southern Indian technology hub of Bengaluru, an industry source with direct knowledge of the matter said on Friday.
- 17 Feb 2017:Apple's widely expected 5.8-inch iPhone with an edge-to-edge OLED display will feature a front-facing 3D laser scanner for facial recognition, corroborating previous rumors, according to JPMorgan analyst Rod Hall.
- 15 Feb 2017:This amended complaint also expands the accused products to include the Apple iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus which use Intel's PMB5750 transceiver chip, which is based on Intel's SMARTi architecture.
- Apple patents screen tech capable of reading fingerprints without dedicated sensor (Feb 14) - Apple InsiderAn Apple patent grant on Tuesday suggests the company is looking to leverage its LuxVue acquisition to integrate display technology capable of reading a user's fingerprint without a dedicated sensor, a design feature rumored to see release with "iPhone 8."
- Apple is in discussions with China's BOE Technology to supply next-generation displays for future iPhones, a key component that's being provided by a Samsung Electronics unit, people familiar with the matter said.
- 13 Feb 2017:
- Apple may have paid Qualcomm approx. $40 per iPhone, accounted for third of Qualcomm's revenues (Feb 10) - Foss PatentsIf Qualcomm sold its baseband processors at approx. $20 per unit and collected or demanded royalties from Apple amounting to more or less the same amount, that would correspond to $40 per iPhone (or cellular iPad).
- 8 Feb 2017:Apple finally broke 60% share threshold in Japan smartphone market during Q4 2016, posting yet another record market share in this country, mostly driven by the robust sales of the new flagships iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
- John Solomon, hired by Apple to sell its products to big businesses and government, has left his position, the company said on Tuesday.
- 7 Feb 2017:
- 6 Feb 2017:After months of negotiations, Apple is set to start manufacturing iPhones in the Indian tech hub Bangalore, said Priyank Kharge, the state's information technology minister.
- 2 Feb 2017:"Apple would not exist without immigration, let alone thrive and innovate the way we do," Cook said.
- Apple is designing a new chip for future Mac laptops that would take on more of the functionality currently handled by Intel processors, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 26 Jan 2017:Apple is nearing a deal to manufacture its products in India, according to a senior government official, as the company seeks to boost its sales in a market that is home to more than 1.2 billion people.
- 24 Jan 2017:The core of the new attack from Apple and the FTC is aimed at Qualcomm's practice of charging royalties based on a device's total value, as opposed to just the value of the mobile chips inside the device.
- 23 Jan 2017:Apple has sued Qualcomm accusing it of monopolizing the market for chips for wireless devices and withholding $1 billion in retaliation for cooperating with South Korean antitrust authorities.
- 18 Jan 2017:China's government has conveyed its concern over Foxconn Technology Group billionaire Terry Gou's plan to expand the Apple assembler's operations in the US after President-elect Donald Trump takes office, people familiar with the matter said.
- 17 Jan 2017:Samsung's Galaxy S7 is currently the only smartphone with a device boasting a IP68 rating, but Apple allegedly plans to catch up this year with an iPhone that can can be submerged just as deep.
- 13 Jan 2017:
- 12 Jan 2017:
- ARM opens its chips for x86 support to all manufacturers including Apple, Samsung (Jan 10) - WCCF TechRecently Qualcomm claimed that it'll be the only ARM partner that will support x86 apps on its platform. Now, ARM executives clarify that not only Qualcomm, but any other manufacturer out there will be able to run x86 apps on its platform - whether its Samsung, Apple, Huawei or others.
- 10 Jan 2017:
- 7 Jan 2017:Apple is planning to open its first retail store in South Korea, moving onto the home turf of smartphone rival Samsung Electronics.
- 3 Jan 2017:Apple will trim production of its iPhone family around 10% on the year in the first quarter of 2017, according to calculations by The Nikkei based on data from suppliers.
- 30 Dec 2016:
- The success of the new Apple AirPods must have got the attention of the company's biggest rival in the smartphone industry and according to the latest rumor, Samsung is preparing a competitor that will most likely be launched with the announcement of the Galaxy S8.
- 29 Dec 2016:
- 27 Dec 2016:
- 26 Dec 2016:
- Canon Tokki, surrounded by rice fields in the city of Mitsuke in Niigata prefecture, has a near monopoly on the machines capable of making screens with organic light-emitting diodes, which enable sharp, vibrant displays that use less energy.
- 23 Dec 2016:Nokia said on Wednesday it had filed a number of lawsuits against Apple for violating 32 technology patents, striking back at the iPhone maker's legal action targeting the one-time cellphone industry leader a day earlier.
- 21 Dec 2016:Apple Inc. is discussing with the Indian government the possibility of manufacturing its products in the country, according to two senior government officials, as the company seeks to expand its sales and presence in the South Asian nation.
- 20 Dec 2016:Analysts with BlueFin Research Partners say that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) will begin manufacturing Apple's A11 processor in late April.
- Samsung was Apple's main supplier for the iPhones from the very beginning, making the A-series processors and supplying both NAND flash and DRAM memory chips.
- 16 Dec 2016:
- 13 Dec 2016:
- Picowork builds collaborative cloud environment, an essential tool for IoT and Industry 4.0 data communication
- UMC Enters Mass Production for 14nm Customer ICs
- Clientron to present its POS Solution at EuroShop 2017
- Entegris announces higher-purity gas purification system platform with expanded manufacturing in Asia
- Spirox resolved to propose termination of exclusive distributor agreement with Xcerra Corporation
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...