- 23 Jan 2017:Apple has sued Qualcomm accusing it of monopolizing the market for chips for wireless devices and withholding $1 billion in retaliation for cooperating with South Korean antitrust authorities.
- 18 Jan 2017:China's government has conveyed its concern over Foxconn Technology Group billionaire Terry Gou's plan to expand the Apple assembler's operations in the US after President-elect Donald Trump takes office, people familiar with the matter said.
- 17 Jan 2017:Samsung's Galaxy S7 is currently the only smartphone with a device boasting a IP68 rating, but Apple allegedly plans to catch up this year with an iPhone that can can be submerged just as deep.
- 13 Jan 2017:
- 12 Jan 2017:
- ARM opens its chips for x86 support to all manufacturers including Apple, Samsung (Jan 10) - WCCF TechRecently Qualcomm claimed that it'll be the only ARM partner that will support x86 apps on its platform. Now, ARM executives clarify that not only Qualcomm, but any other manufacturer out there will be able to run x86 apps on its platform - whether its Samsung, Apple, Huawei or others.
- 10 Jan 2017:
- 7 Jan 2017:Apple is planning to open its first retail store in South Korea, moving onto the home turf of smartphone rival Samsung Electronics.
- 3 Jan 2017:Apple will trim production of its iPhone family around 10% on the year in the first quarter of 2017, according to calculations by The Nikkei based on data from suppliers.
- 30 Dec 2016:
- The success of the new Apple AirPods must have got the attention of the company's biggest rival in the smartphone industry and according to the latest rumor, Samsung is preparing a competitor that will most likely be launched with the announcement of the Galaxy S8.
- 29 Dec 2016:
- 27 Dec 2016:
- 26 Dec 2016:
- Canon Tokki, surrounded by rice fields in the city of Mitsuke in Niigata prefecture, has a near monopoly on the machines capable of making screens with organic light-emitting diodes, which enable sharp, vibrant displays that use less energy.
- 23 Dec 2016:Nokia said on Wednesday it had filed a number of lawsuits against Apple for violating 32 technology patents, striking back at the iPhone maker's legal action targeting the one-time cellphone industry leader a day earlier.
- 21 Dec 2016:Apple Inc. is discussing with the Indian government the possibility of manufacturing its products in the country, according to two senior government officials, as the company seeks to expand its sales and presence in the South Asian nation.
- 20 Dec 2016:Analysts with BlueFin Research Partners say that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) will begin manufacturing Apple's A11 processor in late April.
- Samsung was Apple's main supplier for the iPhones from the very beginning, making the A-series processors and supplying both NAND flash and DRAM memory chips.
- 16 Dec 2016:
- 13 Dec 2016:
- Apple has held talks to invest up to $1 billion in a new $100 billion tech fund being set up by Japan's SoftBank Group, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Monday.
- 12 Dec 2016:Apple reportedly introducing a red chassis color option with new 'iPhone 7s' in 2017 (Dec 7) - 9to5Mac.comUnlike KGI, Macotakara says that the 7s series would not include features like wireless charging or a glass casing. It would be a straightforward internal component update, moving from the A10 chip to the A11 chip, alongside the introduction of the red color option for the exterior.
- 9 Dec 2016:
- 8 Dec 2016:Apple argued in a Beijing court on Wednesday that its iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus mobile designs do not copy a Chinese product and should be allowed to be sold on the Chinese mainland.
- Foxconn Technology, which manufactures Apple's iPhone and other products, said it is in talks to expand in the US. The statement comes amid President-elect Donald Trump's push for a return of manufacturing to the US.
- When a Beijing regulator recently ruled against Apple in a patent dispute, it handed a victory to a Chinese company that barely exists.
- 7 Dec 2016:Eight users have complained to Shanghai's consumer watchdog that their iPhone 6 series handsets spontaneously combusted or exploded. Apple said it had conducted tests on the devices and had found "no cause for concern with these products".
- 29 Nov 2016:Instinet's Romit Shah today asks whether Intel's surprising step-up in its spending outlook presages greater investment in its relationship with Apple or some other project as yet undisclosed.
- 25 Nov 2016:Apple will switch to an all-glass casing for next year's entire iPhone lineup in order to support wireless charging, with Pegatron being the exclusive supplier of the wireless charger.
- Qualcomm's X12 is capable of dealing with more channels of data simultaneously than its Intel rival, according to a report by Milan Milanovic, an analyst at Cellular Insights, which tests phones and networks. Apple didn't enable this feature "to level the playing field between Qualcomm and Intel," Milanovic wrote.
- 24 Nov 2016:Apple plans to ship at least one new iPhone with an OLED screen next year, the 10th anniversary of the smartphone's debut, people with knowledge of the matter said. A pair of other new iPhone models will likely feature screens that use older LCD technology, partly because there won't be enough OLED displays to satisfy anticipated demand, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
- 2017 4.7-inch LCD 'iPhone 7s' predicted to become Apple's new mid-range affordable handset (Nov 23) - Apple InsiderWith Apple expected to launch three new iPhone models next year, a new report suggests the company could slash prices on the 4.7- and 5.5-inch models with legacy LCD technology, allowing them to appeal to a new segment of consumers.
- Apple is cutting orders for assembly of iPhone for the March quarter, which raises some risk to sales outlook, Rosenblatt Securities's Jin Zhang said.
- 23 Nov 2016:Apple's iPhone secured 103.6% of the smartphone industry's profits during the third quarter, BMO Capital Markets analyst Tim Long said in a research note on Thursday. That's the highest share of profits Apple has nabbed in recent memory and easily topped its approximately 70% share of profits in the second quarter. In the third quarter of 2015, Apple's iPhone profit share hovered above 90%.
- 19 Nov 2016:
- 16 Nov 2016:
- According to the latest rumor from its home country of South Korea, Samsung is thinking about making the Galaxy S8 come with a pressure-sensitive display. If you're wondering what that means, just think Apple's 3D Touch on iPhones - that's basically it. The technology detects how hard you press on the screen, and this can be used by software to enable different functionality depending on the pressure level applied. The rumor is reportedly coming from multiple industry sources, as well as a senior executive at Samsung's component division.
- Quanmax opens up 'Blue Ocean' infotainment opportunities with OPS compliant display
- TUV NORD launches SECURITY 4 SAFETY service to build Industry 4.0 foundation for customers
- ABB wins $100 million order to upgrade historic HVDC link in the U.S.
- Supermicro introduces latest SUPERO desktop and gaming solutions at CES 2017
- Wanshih Electronic will exhibit USB3.1 cable assemblies with type C in 2017 Consumer Technology Association (CES)
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$4.7 billion in the biggest-ever...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...