- 29 Nov 2016:Instinet's Romit Shah today asks whether Intel's surprising step-up in its spending outlook presages greater investment in its relationship with Apple or some other project as yet undisclosed.
- 25 Nov 2016:Apple will switch to an all-glass casing for next year's entire iPhone lineup in order to support wireless charging, with Pegatron being the exclusive supplier of the wireless charger.
- Qualcomm's X12 is capable of dealing with more channels of data simultaneously than its Intel rival, according to a report by Milan Milanovic, an analyst at Cellular Insights, which tests phones and networks. Apple didn't enable this feature "to level the playing field between Qualcomm and Intel," Milanovic wrote.
- 24 Nov 2016:Apple plans to ship at least one new iPhone with an OLED screen next year, the 10th anniversary of the smartphone's debut, people with knowledge of the matter said. A pair of other new iPhone models will likely feature screens that use older LCD technology, partly because there won't be enough OLED displays to satisfy anticipated demand, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
- 2017 4.7-inch LCD 'iPhone 7s' predicted to become Apple's new mid-range affordable handset (Nov 23) - Apple InsiderWith Apple expected to launch three new iPhone models next year, a new report suggests the company could slash prices on the 4.7- and 5.5-inch models with legacy LCD technology, allowing them to appeal to a new segment of consumers.
- Apple is cutting orders for assembly of iPhone for the March quarter, which raises some risk to sales outlook, Rosenblatt Securities's Jin Zhang said.
- 23 Nov 2016:Apple's iPhone secured 103.6% of the smartphone industry's profits during the third quarter, BMO Capital Markets analyst Tim Long said in a research note on Thursday. That's the highest share of profits Apple has nabbed in recent memory and easily topped its approximately 70% share of profits in the second quarter. In the third quarter of 2015, Apple's iPhone profit share hovered above 90%.
- 19 Nov 2016:
- 16 Nov 2016:
- According to the latest rumor from its home country of South Korea, Samsung is thinking about making the Galaxy S8 come with a pressure-sensitive display. If you're wondering what that means, just think Apple's 3D Touch on iPhones - that's basically it. The technology detects how hard you press on the screen, and this can be used by software to enable different functionality depending on the pressure level applied. The rumor is reportedly coming from multiple industry sources, as well as a senior executive at Samsung's component division.
- 9 Nov 2016:Filing suggests Apple investing big in OLED supply, increasing capital expenditure (Nov 8) - Apple InsiderAn investment firm has delved deeply into Apple's most recent Securities and Exchange Commission 10-K filing, and sees purchase orders extending over one year in duration which suggests to them that Apple is in the middle of a big OLED buy from Samsung -the main supplier of the technology.
- 8 Nov 2016:Apple will get 3-5 year lead in augmented reality; use it for autonomous driving - KGI (Nov 2) - 9to5Mac.comA rather speculative KGI note suggests that Apple's focus on augmented reality (AR) instead of virtual reality (VR) will give the company a 3-5 year lead on the rest of the industry when it launches its first products. The report also suggests that Apple could use augmented reality as part of an autonomous driving system.
- Apple captured an estimated 104% of total smartphone industry profits during Q3. How is this possible? Because the Android vendors were busy losing money.
- Apple will not refresh the iPhone SE in the first half of 2017, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The lack of refresh comes as Apple attempts to maintain high margins on its high-end iPhone models, Kuo said in a new research note.
- After pooh-poohing the iPhone years ago, Steve Ballmer just praised Apple (Nov 4) - Business InsiderWhen Apple launched the iPhone in 2007, one of the biggest and loudest skeptics was Steve Ballmer, who was CEO of Microsoft at the time.
- 3 Nov 2016:Apple wins surprising patent for a future bendable or foldable iPhone using advanced carbon nanotube structures (Nov 1) - Patently AppleApple's granted patent 9,485,862 was filed in Q3 2014 and published today by the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- 21 Oct 2016:iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm LTE modem outperforms Intel LTE modem by significant margin (Oct 20) - Mac RumorsWith the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, Apple elected to use LTE modems from two different sources, Qualcomm and Intel. The A1778 and A1784 iPhone models use a GSM-only Intel XMM7360 modem while the A1660 and 1661 iPhone models use a GSM/CDMA-compatible Qualcomm MDM9645M modem.
- 20 Oct 2016:
- 18 Oct 2016:
- 14 Oct 2016:Apple poaching GPU designer Imagination Technologies' talent, hiring key personnel away (Oct 13) - Apple InsiderFollowing Apple's decision to not pursue an acquisition of mobile GPU developer Imagination Technologies, at least 25 staffers and management personnel have jumped ship to Apple in the last few months.
- 12 Oct 2016:Apple will set up a research and development center in China's manufacturing metropolis Shenzhen, the US tech giant said on Wednesday, as the firm looks to spur growth in the world's second largest economy amid growing competition.
- 7 Oct 2016:Samsung is turning its attention to personal assistants-the company has acquired Viv Labs, a startup founded by Dag Kittlaus, Adam Cheyer, and Chris Brigham, all of whom were part of the original Siri team that Apple bought in 2010.
- 5 Oct 2016:
- 4 Oct 2016:
- 30 Sep 2016:Apple is in negotiations with Sharp to secure organic LED displays for the iPhone maker's next-generation of devices, a person familiar with the matter said.
- 29 Sep 2016:
- 28 Sep 2016:First they came for the bulky 30-pin docking connector. Then the 3.5mm headphone jack was removed from the iPhone. What will Apple remove next? A newly granted patent published today by the US Patent and Trademark Office offers another clue. In a bid to reduce the physical imperfections on the iPhone's external design, Apple could drop the lightning port.
- Aetna will give some customers and employees discounts on Apple's smartwatch, offering the potential that incentives from the insurance industry could boost sales of the technology giant's wearable device.
- 23 Sep 2016:Apple investigating iPhone 7 bug causing 'no service' after turning off Airplane Mode (Sep 19) - Mac RumorsIn a video shared with MacRumors by reader Yasser El-Haggan, an iPhone 7 can be seen with no service alongside an iPhone 6s with two bars of LTE after Airplane Mode is toggled off on both devices. Both of the iPhones are said to be AT&T models, which means the iPhone 7 has an Intel modem rather than a Qualcomm modem used for Verizon and Sprint models.
- 22 Sep 2016:Japan government may divest Japan Display stake if its technology is commoditized, says industry minister (Sep 20) - NASDAQ.comJapan's industry minister said the government would consider divesting its stake in a money-losing maker of smartphone displays unless the company can demonstrate it is more than just a commodity supplier to Apple.
- 19 Sep 2016:It is Apple, not AMD, that threatens Intel's hegemony
- 13 Sep 2016:
- 8 Sep 2016:Apple was the only vendor among the market leaders to post a year-over-year decrease in shipment volumes, primarily because it did not launch a new model on the anniversary of its first generation Watch.
- Apple's products announced today pack at least three new chips including its first wireless SoC to date, showing the company's increasing silicon prowess.
- 6 Sep 2016:In its rush to beat rival products to market, notably Apple's new iPhone, Samsung Electronics has accelerated new phone launch cycles, but its haste is raising concerns that it fell short on quality testing.
- With the help of Apple's iPhone 7 ramp and a big increase in the amount of revenue the company will get from each iPhone, Broadcom's results and guidance were a little better than analysts forecast.
- 5 Sep 2016:Apple Watch 2 components show 'noticeably thinner' display, expected battery boost (Sep 1) - 9to5Mac.comWe're expecting to see Apple introduce the Apple Watch 2 alongside the iPhone 7 at next week's September 7 event, and now alleged components from the updated watch are finally starting to leak.
- 4 Sep 2016:Samsung is replacing all 2.5m units that it has shipped of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone just weeks after its release, because to a spate of exploding batteries.
- 30 Aug 2016:Apple has been sued by owners of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus smartphones who say a design defect causes the phones' touchscreens to become unresponsive, making them unusable
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan top foundries to enjoy particularly strong 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan server revenues may reach NT$600 billion in 2017
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Display dominance in AMOLED to face challenge from China makers beginning 2019
- Digitimes Research: China mobile AP shipments to rise 11.6% in 4Q16
- Join CAYIN at InfoComm MEA 2016 to discover the next-gen digital signage
- Clientron to introduce new 12" all-in-one POS Bello620
- Tatung builds highly energy-efficient commercial air conditioning systems with air-cooled and parallel chiller units
- Advantest will present product exhibits, live demonstrations and a technical paper at SEMICON Japan, December 14-16 in Tokyo
- TSTi establishes itself as a leading information service brand with implementation of ISO 20000
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...