- 24 Aug 2016:After the unprecedented breach of hacking tools and exploits stolen from the US National Security Agency's elite hacking unit, some privacy advocates see it as clear vindication of Apple in its fight with the FBI earlier this year.
- Apple accounted for 75% of the smartphone industry's profits in the second quarter, but that's down from more than 90% a year ago due to Samsung's Galaxy device lineup, according to Canaccord Genuity.
- One way Apple will aim to keep the "iPhone 7" competitive is the addition of new fast-charge technology, according to one rumor.
- 18 Aug 2016:
- 16 Aug 2016:Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' predicted to face supply constraints due to new dual-lens camera (Aug 5) - Mac RumorsAmit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets issued a note to investors this week, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, discussing features widely rumored for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" series. Thanks to growing demand for larger "phablet" screens, he predicts that the "iPhone 7 Plus" will account for one-third of production at launch.
- 11 Aug 2016:Given Apple's focus on pushing the performance of its silicon, and TSMC's packaging advancements, it makes sense that TSMC has been able to gain sole possession of Apple's chip orders for at least this generation.
- 10 Aug 2016:RBC Capital analyst Amit Daryanani sees pressure on prices for suppliers, and thinks companies that have something of a "monopoly" should survive this better than others, in particular Broadcom and Analog Devices.
- Russia is investigating Apple over allegations of fixing prices for the iPhone in the country.
- 3 Aug 2016:
- 1 Aug 2016:Apple was awarded a patent in May for several new methods for using biometric technology. Most importantly, the patent enabled Apple to embed the Touch ID fingerprint sensor directly into the screen and use ultrasound imaging to help the fingerprint sensor find a match.
- 26 Jul 2016:
- 22 Jul 2016:It won't be just Apple that might be interested in making a counter-offer. Google, whose Android smartphones are based on ARM, Samsung and TSMC could all benefit from an acquisition of the UK firm.
- 21 Jul 2016:
- 15 Jul 2016:
- Apple supplier LG Display pivots towards OLEDs in face of slower iPhone sales, Chinese competition (Jul 13) - Apple InsiderSamsung is rumored to be in exclusive talks with Apple about OLED supply, and could be set to ship panels as soon as 2017. LG will presumably miss out on supplying OLED screens for 2017 iPhones, but could be in a position to join the supply chain for 2018.
- 14 Jul 2016:After a strong 2H16, TSMC's growth could slow in 2017 (JPMe 4% sales growth), due to already 100% share in iPhone 7 and lack of further customer traction at 10nm, said JP Morgan analyst Gokul Hariharan.
- LG Innotek is expected to exclusively supply dual camera module to Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, which will come out in September this year.
- 13 Jul 2016:
- 12 Jul 2016:
- Financial research firm Cowen and Company believes Intel will supply Apple with 50% or more of the LTE modems needed for "iPhone 7," a win that could generate some $1.5 billion in incremental revenue over the next year for the chipmaker.
- 7 Jul 2016:
- 6 Jul 2016:Apple iPhone 7 shipments could disappoint; Skyworks, Cirrus Logic dive (Jul 5) - Investor's Business DailySkyworks Solutions and Cirrus Logic shares nosedived Tuesday after Pacific Crest analyst Michael McConnell downgraded the stocks and predicted a 15%-20% decline in Apple iPhone 7 shipments later this year compared with shipments of the iPhone 6S after that product was released last September.
- 5 Jul 2016:
- 30 Jun 2016:An Apple patent application published on Tuesday backs the company's apparent interest in using micro-LED technology in future products, one possibility being the Apple Watch.
- With rumors strongly suggesting Apple's next-generation iPhone will lack a traditional headphone jack, supplier Cirrus Logic this week announced the release of a new development kit that will enable companies to make Made for iPhone-certified Lightning headphones.
- 29 Jun 2016:Contract manufacturer Jabil, which supplies Apple's iPhones, projected guidance for next quarter well below expectations, which analysts said might suggest a weak Apple product cycle.
- 24 Jun 2016:More than 300,000 people have signed a petition urging Apple not to ditch the headphone socket from the version of the iPhone due for release this autumn.
- 23 Jun 2016:Low-cost iPhone SE cannibalizing sales Of pricier Apple handsets (Jun 21) - Investor's Business DailyApple's low-cost iPhone SE appears to be cannibalizing sales of more expensive handsets, including the flagship iPhone 6S, says Nomura Securities.
- 22 Jun 2016:Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 20 Jun 2016:The intellectual property tribunal said the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus looked too similar to the 100C model made by Shenzhen Beili, a small Chinese brand.
- 16 Jun 2016:
- 14 Jun 2016:
- Apple's next iPhone will use modems from Intel, replacing Qualcomm chips in some versions of the new handset, a move by the world's most-valuable public company to diversify its supplier base.
- 13 Jun 2016:
- 8 Jun 2016:
- 3 Jun 2016:
- 2 Jun 2016:
- Digitimes Research: Panasonic expected to remain largest automotive Li battery maker, steps into LED automotive lighting
- Digitimes Research: Global tablet shipments to up over 16% on quarter in 3Q16
- Digitimes Research: Japan IT vendors stepping into IoT business
- Digitimes Research: China mobile AP shipments increase 8% in 2Q16
- Innodisk launches power over Ethernet expansion cards suitable for industrial systems
- NEXCOM's full depiction of Cloud-Infused Industry 4.0 at 2016 Taipei Int'l Industrial Automation Exhibition
- International workplace partners with IFSEC Southeast Asia 2016 to deliver dedicated health and safety conference
- Industrial display leader Litemax to showcase world's first resized 4K2K LCDs at InnoTrans
- Rectron is now Avexir official distributor in region of Australia
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...