- 26 Jul 2016:
- 22 Jul 2016:It won't be just Apple that might be interested in making a counter-offer. Google, whose Android smartphones are based on ARM, Samsung and TSMC could all benefit from an acquisition of the UK firm.
- 21 Jul 2016:
- 15 Jul 2016:
- Apple supplier LG Display pivots towards OLEDs in face of slower iPhone sales, Chinese competition (Jul 13) - Apple InsiderSamsung is rumored to be in exclusive talks with Apple about OLED supply, and could be set to ship panels as soon as 2017. LG will presumably miss out on supplying OLED screens for 2017 iPhones, but could be in a position to join the supply chain for 2018.
- 14 Jul 2016:After a strong 2H16, TSMC's growth could slow in 2017 (JPMe 4% sales growth), due to already 100% share in iPhone 7 and lack of further customer traction at 10nm, said JP Morgan analyst Gokul Hariharan.
- LG Innotek is expected to exclusively supply dual camera module to Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, which will come out in September this year.
- 13 Jul 2016:
- 12 Jul 2016:
- Financial research firm Cowen and Company believes Intel will supply Apple with 50% or more of the LTE modems needed for "iPhone 7," a win that could generate some $1.5 billion in incremental revenue over the next year for the chipmaker.
- 7 Jul 2016:
- 6 Jul 2016:Apple iPhone 7 shipments could disappoint; Skyworks, Cirrus Logic dive (Jul 5) - Investor's Business DailySkyworks Solutions and Cirrus Logic shares nosedived Tuesday after Pacific Crest analyst Michael McConnell downgraded the stocks and predicted a 15%-20% decline in Apple iPhone 7 shipments later this year compared with shipments of the iPhone 6S after that product was released last September.
- 5 Jul 2016:
- 30 Jun 2016:An Apple patent application published on Tuesday backs the company's apparent interest in using micro-LED technology in future products, one possibility being the Apple Watch.
- With rumors strongly suggesting Apple's next-generation iPhone will lack a traditional headphone jack, supplier Cirrus Logic this week announced the release of a new development kit that will enable companies to make Made for iPhone-certified Lightning headphones.
- 29 Jun 2016:Contract manufacturer Jabil, which supplies Apple's iPhones, projected guidance for next quarter well below expectations, which analysts said might suggest a weak Apple product cycle.
- 24 Jun 2016:More than 300,000 people have signed a petition urging Apple not to ditch the headphone socket from the version of the iPhone due for release this autumn.
- 23 Jun 2016:Low-cost iPhone SE cannibalizing sales Of pricier Apple handsets (Jun 21) - Investor's Business DailyApple's low-cost iPhone SE appears to be cannibalizing sales of more expensive handsets, including the flagship iPhone 6S, says Nomura Securities.
- 22 Jun 2016:Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 20 Jun 2016:The intellectual property tribunal said the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus looked too similar to the 100C model made by Shenzhen Beili, a small Chinese brand.
- 16 Jun 2016:
- 14 Jun 2016:
- Apple's next iPhone will use modems from Intel, replacing Qualcomm chips in some versions of the new handset, a move by the world's most-valuable public company to diversify its supplier base.
- 13 Jun 2016:
- 8 Jun 2016:
- 3 Jun 2016:
- 2 Jun 2016:
- 1 Jun 2016:
- Apple plans to issue bonds in Taiwan for the first time with the aim of raising $1 billion, sources familiar with the matter said, joining a queue of big global names that have sold billions of dollars on the island's busy debt market.
- Apple will likely take three years between full-model changes of its iPhone devices, a year longer than the current cycle. In a typical two-year term, fall 2016 was supposed to see a major upgrade. But the changes on the model to be launched this autumn will be minor, such as improved camera quality.
- A patent-licensing firm is seeking to force Apple to suspend its Facetime and iMessage services claiming it has suffered "irreparable harm" as a result of the tech giant's actions.
- 30 May 2016:
- Apple watchers can add "OLED display" to the list of features we're expecting in the iPhone 7, as hinted by the CEO of Applied Materials.
- 25 May 2016:Taiwan's tech suppliers will get significantly fewer orders from Apple in the second half of 2016 compared with a year ago, no thanks to an ongoing slump in demand for premium smartphones and a lack of groundbreaking features for the upcoming iPhone 7, sources familiar with the matter told the Nikkei Asian Review.
- 22 May 2016:Nomura's Chris Chang thinks Sony is now behind schedule, which means that Apple will have to go to LG Innotek for assembly.
- 19 May 2016:For investors in Taiwan's $841 billion stock market, Tim Cook matters more than Tsai Ing-wen. "Any negative from Tsai can easily be washed out if the iPhone 7 does well," said JPMorgan.
- 18 May 2016:Apple staffing up on wireless charging experts, including former uBeam engineers (May 17) - The VergeIn the last four months two former uBeam engineers with expertise in wireless charging and ultrasonic technology had been hired by Apple.
- EuroBLECH 2016 reflects trend towards smart manufacturing in sheet metal working
- Advantest rated as Advanced Masks Technology Center GmbH & Co. KG's (AMTC) best supplier 2015 for the second year in a row
- CAYIN to rollout system software upgrade and new product line
- Advantest introduces V93000 wave scale cards for cost-effective testing of current and next-generation RF semiconductors
- Computer-on-modules deliver an ideal solution for Industry 4.0 intelligent automation
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
The launch of virtual reality headsets for the consumer market and the increasing demand for ultra...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...