Imagination reports on CES 2013 highlights
Press release [Monday 21 January 2013]
Imagination Technologies, a leading multimedia and communications technologies company, reports significant growth in penetration in TV and other consumer markets. This was demonstrated by the announcement regarding MediaTek and a record number of new product announcements from its partners at CES 2013 in Las Vegas.
Imagination's SoC partners are at heart of the 'smart' revolution in consumer electronics, based on two pivotal sets of technologies:
- multimedia which enable smooth UI, rich graphics and high quality video
- connectivity which give devices 'live' intelligence and features such as location services, content on demand and social networking
Products from Imagination's partners in the consumer market will deliver new industry-leading levels of performance and capabilities to users in 2013, as the 'smartness' enabled by Imagination's technologies increases its presence in TVs, STBs, tablets and other consumer devices.
Imagination also announced that it has signed a further license agreement with MediaTek for a multi-core member of Imagination's PowerVR SGX Series5XT graphics processor family, to be deployed in SoC devices targeting the digital TV market. This announcement is the most recent demonstration of the TV and STB SoC industry's growing commitment to Imagination's IP, as MediaTek joins Entropic, Intel, LG, MStar, Realtek, Sigma, SiS and other leading SoC partners not yet announced.
Notable products on show at CES 2013 include:
- LG Cinema 3D Smart TVs, the world's first announced TV products with advanced PowerVR Series6 GPUs, as well as PowerVR Series5XT in mid-range products
- Windows 8 Ultrabook PCs and tablets from a range of leading brands including Samsung, Acer and Panasonic Toughpad, based on Intel's Z2760 'Clovertrail' Atom processor with PowerVR graphics and PowerVR video decode and encode
- Archos 80 and 97 Platinum tablets using the AllWinner A31 processor with PowerVR SGX 544MP GPU
- Low cost, high performance Android tablets from multiple Chinese OEMs featuring Ingenic Semiconductor's JZ4780 application processor with dual-core MIPS CPU and PowerVR Series5 'SGX' GPU
- Lenovo K900 smartphone based on Intel Z2580 CloverTrail+ with PowerVR SGX544MP GPU
- Archos 'TV connect', a low cost Android add-on to any TV with HDMI featuring Full Access Google Play Store, using TI's OMAP4470 with PowerVR SGX
- Alcatel One Touch Scribe HD mobile phone with MediaTek MT6589
- Garmin's K2 car infotainment platform, based on TI's new Jacinto 6 platform (based on OMAP5) and PowerVR SGX544MP
- Many other products from brands including Acer, Hampoo, Karbonn Mobile, Lava Mobile, and ZTE
Semiconductor highlights included:
- MediaTek's latest MT6589 featuring PowerVR Series5XT graphics
- Intel's Atom Z2420 'Lexington' smartphone processor for emerging markets, with PowerVR graphics and video
- SiS330 multi-standard global TV receiver platform with Ensigma UCCP320 RPU (radio processing unit)
- ST-Ericsson NovaThor L8580 LTE smartphone platform featuring a PowerVR SGX544 GPU running at 600MHz, using 28nm FD-SOI
- The new TI OMAP 5-based 'Jacinto 6' SoC, designed for automotive applications with PowerVR SGX544MPx graphics
A number of undisclosed products from major brands containing Imagination's technologies were also shown behind closed doors throughout CES in the TV, mobile, automotive and other consumer markets.
Says Tony King-Smith, VP marketing at Imagination:
"It's been another barnstorming year for Imagination at CES 2013, with record numbers of meetings with our many licensee, tools, developer and OEM partners. A growing number of leading edge TV products such as LG's 4K TVs relying on PowerVR Series6 and Series5/5XT graphics, Win8 PC ultrabooks and tablets featuring PowerVR graphics and video decode/encode, together with ground-breaking automotive products such as Garmin's K2 infotainment system, demonstrated Imagination's tremendous progress across all consumer markets as well as mobile."
Imagination's next major event will be MWC, where further major product announcements for both SoCs and end products using Imagination's IP will be made.