Taipei 2012 International Lighting Show: A look at the LED lighting trends
Deborah Lin, DIGITIMES Research, Taipei [Wednesday 11 April 2012]
The 2012 Taiwan International Lighting Show was held on March 15-16 at the Taipei World Trade Center. Participants displayed the latest LED lighting products, were heavily focused on customer needs with various lighting modules, and presented public space or home residential lighting control systems that can use a computer to control a public space lighting system. The company Lighting China also displayed a show featuring home lighting controlled via cell phones.
In addition, improving lighting comfort levels was another focus at the show. The development of LED luminous efficiency has reached the point where it can replace traditional lighting standards. Therefore LED companies are no longer focusing much on improving lighting brightness levels, but rather, on color rendering and color temperature as a means to further develop their light products. Epistar displayed an LED chipset made from a red and blue LED chip and Everlight displayed low color temperature LED lights.
Participating manufacturers said that LED lighting price per unit is still higher compared with traditional lighting and that consumers won't be more willing to purchase LED lights unless the added value of them is increased. The luminous efficiency of LED lighting has currently reached a certain standard and development control such as providing a dimming function or in improving the color rendering still has to be done in order for vendors to make segments with other vendors' products as well as increase their products' sales.
- The 2012 Taiwan International Lighting Show was held on March 15-16 at the Taipei World Trade Center. Participants displayed the latest LED lighting products, plus lighting control systems that can be operated through computers or even cell phones.
- Improving lighting comfort levels was another focus at the show. The development of LED luminous efficiency has reached the point where it can replace traditional lighting standards. Therefore LED companies are no longer focusing much on improving lighting brightness levels, but rather, on color rendering and color temperature.
- Participating manufacturers said LED lights' high prices are still a major concern, and they are working to increase their added value.
- The future development of LED lighting products can be divided into three areas as based on trends shown by each manufacturer at the show: first, continue to enhance the basic performance of LED lighting; second, enhance the comfort levels of LED lighting; lastly, provide overall LED lighting solutions.
- To continue improving the basic performance of LED lighting includes increasing high luminous efficiency of LED lighting products, enhancing heat dissipation, reducing weight, and making it more energy-efficient. However, manufacturers haven't emphasized these points and think that LED lighting already meets industries' basic requirements.
- To improve lighting comfort means to enhance color rendering performance of LED lighting, increase dimmer functions, as well as push forth situational lighting and health lighting. European and American markets focus a lot on these aspects with their products sold in Europe and America and particularly emphasize color temperature and color rendering performance.
- To provide total LED lighting solutions include customized services and developing a variety of lighting control systems. Because prices for LED lighting are high, these aspects need to be considered in order to improve its added- value as well as increase sales.
- The show emphasized largely on upgrading the basic performance of LED lighting. Manufacturers such as Wellypower exhibited street lamps with a luminous efficiency of 130 lm/W that used LED packaging. This gave the the packaging high color rendering which was enough to replace Nichia's same level of packaging.
- The products displayed by Epistar and Everlight tended to emphasize more on improving comfort. Epistar exhibited a lighting chip combination that was made from a red and a blue light chips to form a warm white light with a maximum luminous efficiency of up to 150 lm/W; Everlight displayed a low color temperature lamp with color temperature ranging 3,000-3,500 K, which gave it a softer visual effect.
- Genesis Photonics and Lighting China mainly displayed lighting control systems for buildings or public spaces and Lighting China exhibited a lighting control system that can control home lighting via an app and Wi-Fi.
- In 2012, Edison will be pushing customized services the most for all of its L1-L6 stage LED lighting designs. In addition, one significant improvement is one of their latest products involving a commercial LED lighting module that has luminous efficiency up to 110-120 lm/W.
- Wellypower displayed street lights that use its 5070 LED packaged product. From the end of 2011 to early 2012, the lights point light-emitting efficiency reached 130 lm/W, which puts them in competition with Nichia and other international companies.
- Wellypower's most prominent feature of the product is its high color rendering performance. In general, international manufacturers such as Nichia require that R9 (Strong Red) is greater than 0. However, Wellypower's R9 can be greater than 20, and has better color rendering available with the same CRI.
- Wellypower uses PPA advanced engineering plastics for its LED products to ensure they withstand high temperatures and collisions.
- During the expo, Epistar mainly displayed red and blue chips that make a warm white lighting, for which there are three formats: first, a red chip plus two blue ones that has a luminous efficiency of 100 lm/W (Standard Set); second, two red chips plus two blue ones that has a luminous efficiency of 120 lm/W (Premium Set); third, two red and two blue chips with a luminous efficiency of 150 lm/W. (Deluxe Set).
- Epistar says mixing red and blue chips to make warm white light can significantly improve luminous efficiency and better color rendering performance (CRI> 90).
- On the other hand, mixing red and blue chips to form a warm white light does not require a specially formulated fluorescent powder, Epistar says manufacturing chips is conducive to selling their companies' products.
- Everlight focused on 3,000-3,500 K low color temperature street lights that gave off almost the same brightness as white LED lights. Their color rendering was better and visual effects were softer, and won the 2012 Product Innovation Award.
- Everlight used a fluorescent color for the warm white light chip packaging. The company said the red chips have a different decay time than the blue ones, and that if red chips are mixed with blue chips to form a warm white light, prolonged use may cause the color to fade, thus making the fluorescent powder a better choice.
- Light engines are a new type of LED lighting that is being pushed by the Zhaga Union, including a LED module and a LED driver. As of 2012, membership in the union reached 180 vendors, one of which is Edison.
- Edison displayed a 12W light engine at the exhibition featuring a warm white light with an emitting angle of 60 degrees. In addition to Edison, Delta Electronics also introduced LED lighting engine products, but did not display them at the exhibition. Delta is also a member of the Zhaga Union and was promoting light engine products as of two years ago. The products did not receive much attention in recent years, but since it has joined the Zhaga Union, the products' visibility has gradually improved.
- Edison said that its business focus in 2012 is to develop customized service such as design, manufacturing and overall solutions.
- Manufacturing LED lighting can be divided into a total of six stages: L1 to L6. Edison can provide assistance at various levels according to a customer's needs, such as: L1 to L3, or L2 to L6.
- New Century pushed LED lighting solutions the most during the show and there was a product demo featuring a parking lot lighting control system. The system is able to be run from a computer sub-control and can control whether the lights in the parking lot turn off, dim, as well as send a notification if there are any problems with the lighting. The company said its launch of the control system is wired controlled, but that WI-Fi can be used for larger or public spaces in order to reduce costs.
- New Century said that its control system can be used not only in parking lots, but also in plant factories where a wide range of lighting situations may be needed.
- Lighting China also promoted an intelligent lighting control system for residential areas, particularly with new residential housing. The company said that by providing this kind of system it can also increase its sales of lighting products.
- Lighting China's lighting control system includes a traditional control panel, a remote control, computer control and phone control. The panel control and remote control is a more traditional control method, whereas the computers and mobile phones are using Wi-Fi. The company is also developing an app for lighting control, allowing LED lighting to be combined with smart portable devices.
- During the exhibition, the United States and Europe were mentioned on how they are increasing emphasis on healthy lighting. Healthy lighting refers to how day and night lighting should have different impacts on the human body. During the day, the human brain is in a work and active state, so lighting should stimulate brain activity. During the night, the human brain is in a resting state, so lighting should help the brain relax so that people can sleep more soundly.
- With the growing development of LED lighting, it is now able to perform dimming, change color, and in the future will focus more on how it impacts the human body, as well as further utilize situational lighting to assist in human activities.
- Nations around the world are using LED lighting differently. In low per capita income places such as Taiwan, China, and India, the average consumer acceptance of LED lighting is not high. Therefore, it is recommended that governments begin installing street lighting and public lighting to promote LED lighting so that prices may drop in the future, which would help extend the LED industry into the private sector.
- In more developed nations where the per capita income is higher such as in Japan, Europe, the United States, there is a higher acceptance of LED lighting. Therefore residential lighting can be promoted more in the residential market there and can focus more on dimming, color temperature and other functions. Regarding Australia, commercial lighting should be the focus.
- Using LED lighting for street lights is rather uncommon in developed nations. This is mainly because these countries started importing LED lighting for street lights at an earlier time when the light emitting angle was poor, which led to unsuccessful results. For example, when Australia installed its first batch of LED street lights, they were replaced after only 12 months.