Its hardware design was developed in partnership with Sharp to create a social phone portfolio with two models called Kin One and Kin Two. Both phones feature a touch screen and slide-out keyboard. One is more compact, while Two offers a larger screen and keyboard, in addition to more memory, a higher resolution camera, and the ability to record high-definition video, the company said.
The 5 and 8 megapixel cameras in One and Two, respectively, are designed for use in low light with image stabilization and a bright LumiLED flash.
Microsoft, which previously only focused on operating system development, entered the phone device market when it acquired Danger Inc, maker of the Sidekick devices, in 2008. Kin devices are the first products of the acquisition.
Kin will be exclusively available from Verizon Wireless in the US beginning in May and from Vodafone this autumn in Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom.
- GIGABYTE Launches the BRIX Ultra Compact PC Kit
- AEWIN Introduces Newest Multiplayer Gaming System SGA-5010
- Carry Technology Highlights Thunderbolt and Wi-Fi Card Reader Series
- Imagination says third party IP becoming a key driving force for silicon vendors
- EverFocus launches ECOR960 X1 16CH with better image quality and more affordable price
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- ATO Solution Co., Ltd. to launch 1Gb SLC NAND Flash after 256Mb/512Mb mass production for the first time in Fab-less industry
- Chilisin's miniature power inductor in 0603/0805 sizes
- Chilisin introduces Thin-film chip inductor 0201 size
- Chilisin at 2012 electronics Munich A5/159 & 260
- Chilisin sunken-type molded power inductor for MXM Graphic application
Digitimes recently interviewed Bert Gyselinckx, general manager of the Holst Centre in Eindhoven, to...
Chaintech, a motherboard/graphics card maker, which quit the market once and returned recently, has...
Digitimes recently spoke with Karen Lightman, the executive director of MEMS Industry Group (MIG),...
In a relentless competition against rivals including Qualcomm, Nvidia and Media in the smartphone chipset...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011