- 3 Dec 2013:The handset maker is working on a 20-megapixel camera it'll bundle into mobile devices in the second half of 2014.
- 20 Aug 2013:
- 14 Jun 2013:Samsung's Galaxy S4 handset is well on its way to becoming the company's bestselling smartphone. Samsung Electronics co-CEO Shin Jong-kyun told The Korea Times the Galaxy S4 is set to surpass the 10 million sales mark next week.
- NEC will cut about 400 of the less than 900 workers at its mobile phone handset unit to reduce fixed costs at the loss-making business, the Nikkei reported Thursday.
- 23 May 2013:Samsung Electronics will buy new shares in unlisted South Korean smartphone maker Pantech, making Samsung the third-largest Pantech shareholder with a 10% stake.
- 10 May 2013:
- 7 May 2013:Canaccord Genuity said in its new report that in the June quarter, slowing sales of the iPhone combined with strong sales of Samsung's Galaxy S4 may catapult Samsung to the top spot.
- Rubinstein's experience at a handset vendor, as well as at a large computing company like HP, will help Qualcomm with its strategy.
- 24 Apr 2013:Finnish phone maker Nokia has won a court injunction banning HTC from using microphone parts made by STMicroelectronics in its flagship HTC One phones, in a move that will deepen the problems at the struggling Taiwanese handset company.
- 20 Feb 2013:The new HTC One, shown exclusively to the BBC at the company's headquarters in Taiwan's capital Taipei weeks before its official launch, differs starkly from HTC's previous phones - and from many other smartphones currently on the market.
- 18 Feb 2013:HTC, Nokia, Motorola, LG face suit alleging misuse of semiconductor patent (February 12) - ComputerworldTela Innovations has filed patent infringement complaints against key mobile handset vendors, including LG, HTC, Nokia and Motorola Mobility.
- 16 Oct 2012:
- 4 Sep 2012:Big-screen smartphones may be the fashion, but how about two sizable screens on your next handset with negligible battery impact. SlashGear caught up with E Ink at IFA today to check out the company's latest prototypes, intended to spur some imagination among potential hardware partners.
- 17 Jul 2012:Samsung continues to increase its dominance over Apple in the smartphone arena, thanks largely to the launch of its latest Galaxy S handset.
- 26 Jun 2012:Ahead of Thursday's closely-watched earnings report, Blackberry-maker Research in Motion brushed aside a weekend story saying the company would separate its handset division and messaging network.
- 30 May 2012:Standalone versus integrated dilemma is major theme of US$37 billion mobile handset semiconductor market (May 25) - ABI ResearchRevenues for core semiconductor components used in mobile handsets, including platform ICs and wireless connectivity ICs, are expected to reach almost US$37 billion per annum in 2012.
- 10 May 2012:The Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP), unveiled today in conjunction with the CTIA wireless trade show in New Orleans, is looking to join forces with other manufacturers to form a "worldwide wireless power technology ecosystem." The group wants to develop new power transfer technologies that will allow for simultaneous charging of multiple devices in cars, on tabletops, and elsewhere.
- 20 Apr 2012:Nokia has reported a much worse-than-expected first quarter loss as it presses ahead with an extensive restructuring of its faltering business.
- 13 Apr 2012:Samsung Electronics probably overtook Nokia as the top handset seller for the first time, helped by the popularity of the Galaxy smartphones, according to analyst estimates.
- 12 Apr 2012:Nokia took a huge axe to its first-quarter devices and services guidance and issued a gloomy outlook for the new quarter on Wednesday, wiping out 18% of the Finnish handset maker's market cap.
- 28 Mar 2012:AMOLED penetration puts pressure on makers of small- to mid-size LCD panels (Match 23) - Global LEDs/OLEDsSamsung Electronics, Nokia and HTC are all rolling handsets with AMOLED displays,accelerating the penetration of AMOLED applications in the handset market, with sales for such phones to grow exponentially in 2012.
- 18 Mar 2012:STMicroelectronics should persuade Ericsson that they sell off their mobile chip joint venture ST-Ericsson, but probably to some aspiring Chinese company. That is likely to produce the quickest and most profitable - or least loss-making - exit for the two parent companies from what has become a failed project.
- 24 Feb 2012:Marvell Technology's fiscal fourth-quarter profit slumped 64% on weakness in the market for the chip maker's hard-drive components.
- 15 Feb 2012:Intel's latest effort to crack the smartphone market revolves around its new ultra low-power Atom chip code named Medfield and Google's Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" mobile operating system, both of which reportedly appear in a new handset from Motorola that's due to be unveiled at the Mobile World Congress later this month.
- 11 Jan 2012:For years, Nokia has led all handset vendors in unit shipments. But this year (2012), Samsung believes it can change that.
- 7 Jan 2012:The Finnish handset giant scooped up Smarterphone, a small Norwegian company that has an operating system designed for more basic cell phones known in the industry as feature phones. The acquisition was disclosed by Smarterphone's Nordic investor parent, Ferd Capital. A Nokia representative confirmed the acquisition but declined to comment further on what it means for the company.
- 28 Dec 2011:Nearly every mobile handset manufacturer is looking for one thing: A chip platform that can be used immediately as leverage in price negotiations in order to compete with industry leader Qualcomm. Renesas Mobile's Manfred Schlett insists the company is up to the task.
- 21 Oct 2011:Luxury phone maker Vertu unveiled its first touchscreen mobile at an event in Milan, Italy, on Tuesday. The phone, called Constellation, will retail for EUR4,400 (Dh22,389) for the entry level model and go up to EUR10,900.
- 22 Sep 2011:Previously, Tirri was Head of Nokia Research Centre, Nokia's forward looking research facility. He joined Nokia in 2004 as a Research Fellow before leading NRC Systems Research laboratory in 2007.
- 14 Sep 2011:The majority of the reduction is from the company's wireless products, which have experienced an unexpected decline in demand and pricing.
- 8 Aug 2011:OmniVision is promising an quarter-inch, 8-megapixel OV8850 CMOS sensor that the company says is 20% slimmer than any competing 8-megapixel module.
- 1 Aug 2011:Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/24c99176-b81a-11e0-8d23-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1TmqNu1c7 CSR has warned of "increasing economic uncertainty and weakness in some areas of the handset market" as it reported a slide in revenues for the first half of 2011.
- 8 Jul 2011:Mosaid sues HTC and Sony Ericsson on newly-acquired cellular handset patents (July 7) - Company releaseMosaid Technologies has announced that it is suing HTC America and Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications (USA) for infringing three US patents that are essential to all cellular telephones that implement the emergency 911 (E-911) standard, as mandated by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- 20 Jun 2011:IC Insights forecasts 1.55 billion cellular phones will ship in 2011, a 9% increase over the 1.4 billion shipped in 2010.
- 19 Jun 2011:Marvell Technology's CFO said Friday the company is providing chips for some of Research In Motion's (RIM) next-generation BlackBerrys, adding that the handset maker's latest struggles won't hurt Marvell more than previously projected in the near term.
- 13 Jun 2011:An official Nokia statement said he had left to resolve a "personal matter" and gave no date for his return. However, a Finnish newspaper quoted sources inside Nokia saying he had left because of differences over strategy and would not return.
- 3 May 2011:The worldwide mobile phone market grew 19.8% on year in the first quarter of 2011 fueled by high smartphone growth, especially in emerging markets, and gains made by market challengers, according to IDC.
- 27 Apr 2011:Mobile phone maker Nokia has announced it will shed 4,000 jobs as part of a plan to refocus the company on smartphones. Nokia said the majority of the job losses would be in Denmark, Finland and the UK.
- 21 Apr 2011:Nokia, the struggling market leader in mobile phones, has said that it intended to cut costs by nearly 20% over three years, a move that will likely eliminate thousands of jobs as it enters an alliance with Microsoft.
- 14 Apr 2011:Intel has designed a handset that may be manufactured by China's ZTE, according to people with knowledge of the plan. The phone, based on a version of Intel's Atom microprocessor, may go on sale in China.
- EverFocus launches new mobile mini vandal-proof IR dome camera
- Indium8.9HF1-P delivers high first pass yields for in-circuit testing
- EverFocus announces their upgraded version of Award-winning IP Speed Dome
- GIGABYTE announces 'Feel the Force' OC contest winners
- Internet of Things to provide new business opportunities and enable business model changes
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
Smartphone ODM Arima Communications has decided to expand its product lines to include tablets, smart...
OCZ Technology shifted its corporate focus away from legacy DRAM memory modules in 2011, and has since...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...