- 27 Dec 2015:Fujitsu is planning to spin off its mobile phone handset business, as well as the PC operations, next spring so that it can respond swiftly to changes in market trends and boost profitability.
- 15 Dec 2015:Europe's competition regulator has accused Qualcomm of predatory pricing and paying a major handset maker to use its 4G baseband chips exclusively.
- 3 Sep 2015:Mediatek bets big on 4G, plans to expand research and development team in India (Sep 2) - Economic TimesMediaTek, which works with India's local handset makers like Micromax, Karbonn and Lava, and has some 500 people across R&D and a design centre in Bangalore, plans to add "a few hundred" people over the next 1-2 years.
- 13 Aug 2015:Lenovo is laying off 3,200 employees and trimming down its smartphone portfolio in response to a slowdown in its PC and handset sales.
- 4 Jun 2015:Confirmed: Sony Mobile cuts 1,000 workers in Sweden as handset maker restructures (Jun 1) - TechCrunchSony Mobile is cutting 1,000 jobs in Sweden, as part of a larger restructuring to push the struggling handset maker into profitability.
- 5 Feb 2015:Samsung Electronics has appointed a new smartphone marketing chief, less than a month before the expected unveiling of its next flagship Galaxy S handset.
- 13 Jan 2015:The newly unveiled LG G Flex 2 isn't just a smartphone for display buffs, the handset is also packing Qualcomm's latest and greatest 64-bit Snapdragon 810 processor. However, all may not be well with Qualcomm's latest high-end SoC, as more rumors have surfaced suggesting that the chip is struggling with some performance impacting production issues.
- 22 Jan 2014:Nokia is expected to show a steep fall in network equipment sales in its results this week, highlighting the challenge facing management after selling its once mighty handset division to Microsoft for EUR5.4 billion (US$7.3 billion).
- 17 Jan 2014:BlackBerry gets order from German customer for 1,000 smartphones (January 16) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)BlackBerry, seeking to show that its handset business can still attract customers, said a German technology company is upgrading to its Enterprise Service 10 system and will purchase more than 1,000 phones.
- 26 Dec 2013:The deal is undergoing a second-phase anti-trust probe by China's commerce watchdog, which is taking longer than the usual 30 days, reportedly due to concerns from domestic handset makers over a potential Nokia licensing fee hikes.
- 12 Dec 2013:Samsung Electronics built the world's largest smartphone business by tapping China's cheap and abundant workforce. Not for much longer: it's shifting output to Vietnam to secure even lower wages and defend profit margins as growth in sales of high-end handsets slow.
- 3 Dec 2013:The handset maker is working on a 20-megapixel camera it'll bundle into mobile devices in the second half of 2014.
- 20 Aug 2013:
- 14 Jun 2013:Samsung's Galaxy S4 handset is well on its way to becoming the company's bestselling smartphone. Samsung Electronics co-CEO Shin Jong-kyun told The Korea Times the Galaxy S4 is set to surpass the 10 million sales mark next week.
- NEC will cut about 400 of the less than 900 workers at its mobile phone handset unit to reduce fixed costs at the loss-making business, the Nikkei reported Thursday.
- 23 May 2013:Samsung Electronics will buy new shares in unlisted South Korean smartphone maker Pantech, making Samsung the third-largest Pantech shareholder with a 10% stake.
- 10 May 2013:
- 7 May 2013:Canaccord Genuity said in its new report that in the June quarter, slowing sales of the iPhone combined with strong sales of Samsung's Galaxy S4 may catapult Samsung to the top spot.
- Rubinstein's experience at a handset vendor, as well as at a large computing company like HP, will help Qualcomm with its strategy.
- 24 Apr 2013:Finnish phone maker Nokia has won a court injunction banning HTC from using microphone parts made by STMicroelectronics in its flagship HTC One phones, in a move that will deepen the problems at the struggling Taiwanese handset company.
- 20 Feb 2013:The new HTC One, shown exclusively to the BBC at the company's headquarters in Taiwan's capital Taipei weeks before its official launch, differs starkly from HTC's previous phones - and from many other smartphones currently on the market.
- 18 Feb 2013:HTC, Nokia, Motorola, LG face suit alleging misuse of semiconductor patent (February 12) - ComputerworldTela Innovations has filed patent infringement complaints against key mobile handset vendors, including LG, HTC, Nokia and Motorola Mobility.
- 16 Oct 2012:
- 4 Sep 2012:Big-screen smartphones may be the fashion, but how about two sizable screens on your next handset with negligible battery impact. SlashGear caught up with E Ink at IFA today to check out the company's latest prototypes, intended to spur some imagination among potential hardware partners.
- 17 Jul 2012:Samsung continues to increase its dominance over Apple in the smartphone arena, thanks largely to the launch of its latest Galaxy S handset.
- 26 Jun 2012:Ahead of Thursday's closely-watched earnings report, Blackberry-maker Research in Motion brushed aside a weekend story saying the company would separate its handset division and messaging network.
- 30 May 2012:Standalone versus integrated dilemma is major theme of US$37 billion mobile handset semiconductor market (May 25) - ABI ResearchRevenues for core semiconductor components used in mobile handsets, including platform ICs and wireless connectivity ICs, are expected to reach almost US$37 billion per annum in 2012.
- 10 May 2012:The Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP), unveiled today in conjunction with the CTIA wireless trade show in New Orleans, is looking to join forces with other manufacturers to form a "worldwide wireless power technology ecosystem." The group wants to develop new power transfer technologies that will allow for simultaneous charging of multiple devices in cars, on tabletops, and elsewhere.
- 20 Apr 2012:Nokia has reported a much worse-than-expected first quarter loss as it presses ahead with an extensive restructuring of its faltering business.
- 13 Apr 2012:Samsung Electronics probably overtook Nokia as the top handset seller for the first time, helped by the popularity of the Galaxy smartphones, according to analyst estimates.
- 12 Apr 2012:Nokia took a huge axe to its first-quarter devices and services guidance and issued a gloomy outlook for the new quarter on Wednesday, wiping out 18% of the Finnish handset maker's market cap.
- 28 Mar 2012:AMOLED penetration puts pressure on makers of small- to mid-size LCD panels (Match 23) - Global LEDs/OLEDsSamsung Electronics, Nokia and HTC are all rolling handsets with AMOLED displays,accelerating the penetration of AMOLED applications in the handset market, with sales for such phones to grow exponentially in 2012.
- 18 Mar 2012:STMicroelectronics should persuade Ericsson that they sell off their mobile chip joint venture ST-Ericsson, but probably to some aspiring Chinese company. That is likely to produce the quickest and most profitable - or least loss-making - exit for the two parent companies from what has become a failed project.
- 24 Feb 2012:Marvell Technology's fiscal fourth-quarter profit slumped 64% on weakness in the market for the chip maker's hard-drive components.
- 15 Feb 2012:Intel's latest effort to crack the smartphone market revolves around its new ultra low-power Atom chip code named Medfield and Google's Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" mobile operating system, both of which reportedly appear in a new handset from Motorola that's due to be unveiled at the Mobile World Congress later this month.
- 11 Jan 2012:For years, Nokia has led all handset vendors in unit shipments. But this year (2012), Samsung believes it can change that.
- 7 Jan 2012:The Finnish handset giant scooped up Smarterphone, a small Norwegian company that has an operating system designed for more basic cell phones known in the industry as feature phones. The acquisition was disclosed by Smarterphone's Nordic investor parent, Ferd Capital. A Nokia representative confirmed the acquisition but declined to comment further on what it means for the company.
- 28 Dec 2011:Nearly every mobile handset manufacturer is looking for one thing: A chip platform that can be used immediately as leverage in price negotiations in order to compete with industry leader Qualcomm. Renesas Mobile's Manfred Schlett insists the company is up to the task.
- 21 Oct 2011:Luxury phone maker Vertu unveiled its first touchscreen mobile at an event in Milan, Italy, on Tuesday. The phone, called Constellation, will retail for EUR4,400 (Dh22,389) for the entry level model and go up to EUR10,900.
- 22 Sep 2011:Previously, Tirri was Head of Nokia Research Centre, Nokia's forward looking research facility. He joined Nokia in 2004 as a Research Fellow before leading NRC Systems Research laboratory in 2007.
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone AP shipments to fall almost 20% in 1Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan makers ship 10.235 million LCD TVs in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Konica Minolta showcases flexible OLED lighting panels at Lighting Japan 2016
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments increase 11.5% on quarter in 4Q15
- Chinese Semiconductor Industry's Latest Move: Sage Micro's Low-key Acquisition of Initio
- CAYIN Invites Visitors to Think Outside Digital Signage at ISE 2016
- AVEXIR launched ROG certified memory: Unleash your ROG spirit
- Critical materials council to be managed by TECHCET in 2016
- NANIUM's latest WL3D solution reduces space required by 5X
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
During a Digitimes interview, Global Sales and Operations senior vice president B.S. Teh for Seagate...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Buoyed by its ZenFone series smartphones, Asustek Computer has captured a portion of the global smartphone...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...