- 3 Dec 2014:Samsung's Exynos SoC could be built entirely in-house, in time for Galaxy Note 5 (Dec 2) - Tom's Hardware GuideAccording to sources from South Korea, Samsung may be planning to build not just its own CPU core based on the ARMv8 architecture, but also its own GPU technology. We could see the new GPU, and possibly the new CPU as well, inside next year's Galaxy Note 5 device.
- Broadcom scores quad win with quad-core processor in latest smartwatch from Sony (Nov 24) - ABI ResearchThis is the first Android smartwatch based on the Broadcom system-on-chip (SoC) platform which includes a 1.2GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex A7 processor (BCM23550), an improved GPS and Sensor processing SOC (BCM47531) capable of simultaneously tracking five satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS, QZSS, SBAS, and BeiDou), the now popular Wi-Fi/BT/NFC/FM quad-combo connectivity chip (BCM43341), and a highly integrated power management IC (BCM59054).
- 18 Nov 2014:Marvell has announced two new 64-bit mobile processors targeting the fast growing global LTE market: a new mobile SoC based on octa-cores for high performance smartphones and tablets and another that uses quad-cores for economy models.
- 4 Mar 2014:Broadcom collaborates with Datang Mobile to develop 4G LTE small cell solution (February 25) - Company releaseBroadcom has announced that Datang Mobile, a core subsidiary of the Datang Telecom Technology and Industry Group, has selected Broadcom's dual-mode TD-SCDMA/TD-LTE system-on-chip (SoC) to develop a new family of enterprise and residential small cell solutions.
- 11 Feb 2014:ARM and SMIC broaden IP partnership with 28nm process for mobile and consumer applications (February 9) - Company releaseARM and SMIC have announced an agreement to offer the ARM Artisan physical IP platform for SMIC's 28nm poly SiON process to provide high-performance, high-density and low-power technologies for SoC designs.
- 22 Jan 2014:AMD on Tuesday said it will be sampling 64-bit ARM system-on-a-chip (SoC) products to customers this quarter and is "on track to launch one of the industry's first 64-bit ARM server SoCs in 2014."
- 1 Nov 2013:InvenSense intros world's first motion tracking SoC optimized for Google Android KitKat 4.4 (October 31) - Company releaseInvenSense has announced the 6-axis MPU-6515 MEMS SoC and corresponding MotionApps software platform optimized to support key new functions introduced in Android KitKat.
- 21 Jun 2013:The cost of designing system-on-chip silicon at 28nm went up by 78% over the previous node, but the software cost was larger and more than doubled.
- 28 May 2013:
- 7 Feb 2013:Globalfoundries has announced a partnership with Adapteva to offer the company's Epiphany IV microarchitecture to customers using Globalfoundries' leading-edge 28nm-SLP process technology.
- 31 Oct 2012:MediaTek's MT7620 Wi-Fi SoC has been selected for the new ASUS RT-N14U N300 wireless router, debuting globally this quarter.
- 5 Sep 2012:FormFactor will acquire MicroProbe, a provider of advanced SOC wafer test solutions, for US$100 million in cash and US$16.8 million in stock, subject to customary adjustments. The merger is expected to close in the first half of FormFactor's fiscal quarter ending December 29, 2012.
- 22 Aug 2012:SamMobile has supposedly acquired leak specifications for the next Nexus smartphone from Samsung codenamed "Superior." Also labeled as the GT-I9260, it will feature a dual-core ARM A9-based SoC clocked at 1.5 GHZ, 16GB of internal storage, a microSD card slot for extra storage, an 8MP rear-facing camera with flash, a 1.9MP front-facing camera with HD video recording, and a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED screen.
- 14 Aug 2012:ARM and Globalfoundries collaborate to enable next-generation devices on 20nm and FinFET process technologies (August 13) - Company releaseGlobalfoundries and ARM have announced a multi-year agreement to jointly deliver optimized system-on-chip (SoC) solutions for ARM processor designs on Globalfoundries' 20nm and FinFET process technologies.
- 1 Aug 2012:
- 4 Jun 2012:Cadence Design Systems has contributed to STMicroelectronics having taped out a 20-nanometer test chip, incorporating custom analog and digital methodologies to enable mixed-signal SoC design at this advanced process node.
- 31 May 2012:Uniquify has become a TSMC Design Center Alliance (DCA) partner.
- 25 Apr 2012:ARM and MStar extend relationship with license for ARM Cortex-A9 processor (April 23) - Company releaseMStar has licensed the ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore and ARM926EJ-S processors, in addition to a range of ARM system IP for use in smart TVs, set-top boxes (STBs) and smartphones. MStar is already a licensee of the ARM Mali-400 MP GPU, which is used in mass production for MStar smart-TV system-on-chip (SoC) solutions.
- 2 Feb 2012:Faraday will optimize a complete IP portfolio for UMC processes ranging from 0.11-micron to 28nm nodes to help mutual customers shorten their SoC design time-to-market for a variety of applications.
- 16 Dec 2011:
- 16 Nov 2011:Renesas to license Imagination Technologies' PowerVR Series6 graphics technologies (November 14) - Company releaseRenesas Mobile will initially deploy Imagination's technologies in its cellular platforms for high-performance smartphones, tablets and in-car infotainment, but the technology will also be used by Renesas Electronics in its SoC lineups for other consumer markets.
- 31 Oct 2011:Samsung, Cadence announce production of breakthrough 32nm HD DSC SoC for Ambarella (October 25) - Company releaseThis SoC, in production at the S1-Line at Samsung's Giheung facility, was built using 32nm gate-first High-k Metal Gate (HKMG) process technology from Samsung and a complete Cadence digital design flow.
- 13 Oct 2011:Intel is disbanding its Digital Home Group, which builds SoC Atom variants for smart TVs and other similar consumer electronics devices. Boxee Box and Google TV are both based on Intel's CE4100 Atom SoC.
- 6 Oct 2011:PLX's UK Design Team has built a reputation for designing innovative and reliable system-on-chip (SOC) solutions and the acquired engineering team's expertise provides OCZ with additional resources for controller design.
- 29 Sep 2011:Atmel has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Advanced Digital Design, a Spain-based developer of power line communication solutions. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in October.
- 19 Sep 2011:Qualcomm to ship 28nm 2.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon by end-2011 (September 16) - Tom's Hardware Guide"It's not about how many cores or how many gigabytes, it's how well you can optimise the system," said Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs... Was that a crack at Google's Android OS?
- 8 Sep 2011:Verigy, an Advantest Group company, has announced that the company has reached a major milestone with the installation of its 2,500th V93000 system-on-chip (SoC) test platform. The milestone shipment is part of a multi-system order from Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE).
- 5 Sep 2011:Synopsys has completed the acquisition of nSys Design Systems, a provider of verification IP.
- 26 May 2011:The company announced plans to double production of USB 3.0 host controllers to six million units a month starting June to satisfy the rising demand.
- 16 May 2011:"In the near term, both companies should benefit by cross-selling their products to largely non-overlapping customer bases," writes Linley Gwennap with The Linley Group. "For the longer term, the acquisition gives Nvidia an opportunity to expand the market for "Tegra" by developing single-chip products that combine the application and baseband processors."
- 18 Mar 2011:
- 1 Feb 2011:
- 17 Jan 2011:
- 24 Nov 2010:
- 18 Nov 2010:
- 20 Aug 2010:Verigy, which makes products that test flash memory, high-speed computer memory chips and SoC devices, previously posted seven straight quarters of red ink, though recent losses had narrowed.
- 5 Jul 2010:Silicon Integrated System (SiS) has adopted Cadence solutions for its PC peripheral and multimedia system on chip (SoC) designs, according to Cadence.
- 26 May 2010:The first ASIC prototypes implemented in ST's 32LPH (low-power high-performance) process technology are expected early in 2011 with production ramp-up in the second half of 2011.
- 2 Apr 2010:Completing a merger transaction between the former NEC Electronics and Renesas Technology, the newly established Renesas Electronics has commenced business operations.
- 26 Feb 2010:About this time last year, Intel and TSMC announced a groundbreaking deal. The deal was seen as a response by Intel to the growing popularity of customized ARM chips, but a lack of customer demand has put the partnership on hiatus.
- Armed with strong system integration capabilities, Tatung launches smart green building solutions
- Taiwan ICT manufactures at CeBIT 2015
- Clientron announces PCoIP Zero Client availability for Amazon WorkSpaces
- Gigabyte Secret OC session unlocks 9 World Records
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Sub-US$300 15.6-inch Chromebooks to fuel notebook competition in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: GoPro to further integrate social media and platform services into 2015 products
- Digitimes Research: AMOLED offers competitive wearable displays
- Digitimes Research: Verizon to ship three million own-brand tablets in 2015
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo mobile device shipments to lead Samsung by 9 million units in 2015
The development of network functions virtualization (NFV) solutions will become mature in 2015 and...
The move by Globalfoundries to acquire IBM's semiconductor business unit and to team up with Samsung...
The global wireless charging market is set for an explosive growth in 2015 as wireless charging applications...
NAND flash chip controller maker Phison Electronics has seen its sales grow robustly in 2014. And under...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...