- 24 Feb 2015:Sony has said it will spin off its video-and-audio business into a separate company as part of a three-year plan to return to profit.
- 22 Jan 2015:SanDisk has reported a plunge in profit for the fourth quarter, as the flash memory card maker's bottom line was weighed down by lower margins, higher operating expenses and supply constraints.
- 21 Jan 2015:For IBM, converting to the cloud is taking a toll. Even though it's necessary to drive future growth, the company has to sacrifice profits for now.
- 16 Jan 2015:
- 23 Dec 2014:China said to push Qualcomm to lower patent fees for phonemakers (Dec 22) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)China wants Qualcomm to accept lower royalty payments for technology used by domestic smartphone manufacturers, people familiar with the matter said, in a proposal that would hurt the chipmaker's main source of profit.
- 2 Dec 2014:Samsung Group announced annual management changes at its business units on Monday but said top executives at its flagship unit Samsung Electronics will remain in their current positions as the company seeks to reverse recent profit declines.
- 26 Nov 2014:
- 6 Nov 2014:Lenovo Group On Thursday said its net profit for the quarter through September rose 19% on growing sales of both personal computers and smartphones.
- 31 Oct 2014:Samsung Electronics on Thursday said it would revamp its smartphone line-up to take on competitors in the rapidly growing mid-to-low range segment, after third-quarter earnings set it on course for its worst year since 2011.
- Three of Japan's biggest electronics companies reported modest earnings gains Thursday for the first half of the financial year ending March, helped by the yen's weakness and restructuring, but held back by a soft domestic economy.
- 22 Aug 2014:
- 25 Jul 2014:Baidu will focus on investing and marketing its mobile applications in the second half to compete with services backed by Tencent after posting earnings that beat analyst estimates.
- 13 May 2014:Shares in Japanese electronics maker Sharp rose as much as 7.7% to 279 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Tuesday after it swung back to profit.
- 21 Feb 2014:Hewlett-Packard reported fiscal first-quarter sales and profit that topped analysts' estimates as the personal-computer maker won new orders for corporate machines and servers to run data centers.
- 23 Jan 2014:Flash memory card maker SanDisk has reported an increase in profits for the fourth quarter, due largely to higher revenues and strong margins.
- 22 Jan 2014:The chipmaker announced that it was cutting 1,100 jobs in the US, India and Japan as it moves to "reduce investments in markets that do not offer sustainable growth and returns."
- AMD was profitable for the second consecutive quarter, thanks in large part to the success of the gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony that are powered by the vendor's chips.
- 17 Jan 2014:Japanese gaming giant Nintendo has issued a profit warning amid weaker-than-expected Wii U console sales.
- 3 Jan 2014:Samsung Electronics saw billions of dollars wiped off its market cap in the first hours of 2014 trading after investors bucked on concerns that the company's profit growth could slow in the new year.
- 12 Dec 2013:Samsung Electronics built the world's largest smartphone business by tapping China's cheap and abundant workforce. Not for much longer: it's shifting output to Vietnam to secure even lower wages and defend profit margins as growth in sales of high-end handsets slow.
- 15 Nov 2013:Applied Materials is benefiting from an increase in demand from companies such as TSMC that build semiconductors for other chipmakers, as they upgrade plants for new production processes.
- 4 Nov 2013:Shares in Japanese electronics giant Sony plunged 11% to JPY1,668 on the Tokyo Stock Exchange after the firm cut its profit forecast.
- 23 Oct 2013:British microchip designer ARM said Tuesday it has a record order backlog going into the final fiscal quarter as it posted a rise in third-quarter profit on forecast-beating revenue powered by global demand for smartphones.
- 18 Oct 2013:SanDisk more than tripled its quarterly profit, beating analysts' estimates, after a fire at a rival chipmaker increased prices at a time when Apple and other users of its flash memory chips were launching new products.
- 4 Oct 2013:Its forecasts also indicate potentially slowing profit growth at its mobile business-a signal that its run of record results is under threat by rising competition and lower-margin phones taking up a bigger proportion of sales.
- 16 Aug 2013:
- 2 Aug 2013:Toyota has raised its forecast for annual profit as a weak yen and a recovery in sales in the US continue to boost its growth.
- 7 Jun 2013:JPMorgan said weak demand for Samsung's flagship phone, the Galaxy S4, from Europe was likely to impact earnings.
- 7 May 2013:Canaccord Genuity said in its new report that in the June quarter, slowing sales of the iPhone combined with strong sales of Samsung's Galaxy S4 may catapult Samsung to the top spot.
- 25 Apr 2013:
- 10 Mar 2013:Texas Instruments, the largest maker of analog chips, raised the lower end of its forecasts for first-quarter sales and profit, as customers increase orders ahead of a projected rebound in electronics demand.
- 22 Jan 2013:
- 17 Jan 2013:ASML has warned of a weak first quarter but said it sees a recovery in the following months as smartphone and tablet makers shift to the next generation of chips.
- 4 Jan 2013:Industry experts say brisk sales of its latest smartphones, the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3, have driven its operating profit to an all-time high.
- 3 Dec 2012:OmniVision Technologies' fiscal second-quarter profit dropped 50% as high manufacturing costs pressured the chip maker's margins, masking a jump in revenue.
- 6 Nov 2012:Booming sales in Asia have helped German car firm BMW shrug off the gloom in Europe to report a record third quarter pre-tax profit.
- 2 Nov 2012:Abu Dhabi's Advanced Technology Investment (ATIC) expects to earn its first profit by 2015 as it scales up operations overseas, but plans to set up a chip manufacturing facility at home remain on hold, its chief executive said on Wednesday.
- 31 Oct 2012:Toshiba is expected to report a 10% drop in consolidated operating profit for the April-September period as a strong yen hurt sales, the Nikkei reported.
- 26 Oct 2012:The IT & Mobile Communications division, comprising Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, IT Solutions and Digital Imaging, ended the third quarter with operating profits of KRW5.63 trillion on KRW29.92 trillion in revenue. Operating profits for the division saw 132 percent year-on-year growth.
- 23 Oct 2012:Chipmaker ARM Tuesday reported higher profit and revenue for the third quarter, adding that it expects group dollar revenues for the fourth quarter in-line with market expectations.
- GIGABYTE wants to take you to Computex 2015 with the GIGABYTE Z97 - X99 BIG XTU Challenge
- Devoted to IE3 premium-efficiency motor R&D, Tatung aims to help the industry boost energy savings
- Enova announces X-Wall MX+, SATA Gen 3 Real-time encryption chip operating at 6 Gbps
- Indium Corporation receives NPI Award
- Indium Corporation introduces new halogen-free, Pb-free solder paste at APEX
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm antitrust probe reshapes patent licensing in China
- Digitimes Research: Google to finish 2-in-1 Chromebook development in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, LG outsource TV orders to ODMs to secure panel supply
- Digitimes Research: Windows 10 unlikely to bring dramatic changes to mobile device market in 2015
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone industry to report shipment growth of 8.6% for 4Q14
Macronix International, which ranks as the world's second-largest NOR flash supplier with a 19% share...
The applications, demand and service areas for the global storage device industry have seen profound...
Lenovo, which had the fourth-largest market share next to Asustek Computer, Acer and Apple in the Taiwan...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...