- 23 Mar 2017:Samsung Electronics is considering large-scale marketing activities for the upcoming Galaxy S8, including unconditional refunds after up to three-month use.
- 7 Mar 2017:Evan Blass is back with information on the Galaxy S8. According to Blass, the device will now release on April 28th. This sets the date back by one week. Reasons for the delay include alleged quality control and production delays for the Snapdragon 835, on both Samsung and Qualcomm's ends. Blass isn't sure about the exact reason though, only that the rumored release will now take place a week later.
- 23 Feb 2017:Samsung will sell modified versions of the Galaxy Note 7 in emerging markets, including India and Vietnam, according to Hankyung, which claims the move is designed to help Samsung minimise losses and avoid a potential environmental fine.
- 18 Feb 2017:Samsung hopes to avoid another disastrous recall by adding a third battery supplier for its new smartphone.
- 14 Feb 2017:Samsung reported to ramp up initial Galaxy S8 shipments up to a whopping 17 million units (Feb 13) - WCCF TechAs if the earlier reports suggesting 10 million Galaxy S8 shipments wasn't sufficient that a new one pops up claiming that Samsung is aiming to ramp up production to bring that grand total up to an unbelievable 17 million units.
- 9 Feb 2017:
- 2 Feb 2017:With no Galaxy S8 announcement, Samsung downsizes its annual Mobile World Congress keynote (Feb 1) - VenturebeatBreaking with recent tradition, Samsung had already said it would not be introducing its new Galaxy S8 smartphone at the massive Mobile World Congress that starts in late February. Instead, the phone will be unveiled at a separate event on March 29.
- 25 Jan 2017:Samsung pegs 7nm chip production for 'early 2018,' in time for the Galaxy S9 processor (Jan 24) - PhoneArenaTSMC is expected to undergo risk production of 7nm chipsets this year, and mass production next year, while Samsung now also cites an aggressive roadmap for "early 2018," meaning that the Galaxy S9 will most likely flaunt a 7nm processor.
- "The Snapdragon 835 won't be available in large quantities until after the Galaxy S8 launches," source said.
- 23 Jan 2017:The higher battery density of the Galaxy Note 7 compared to its predecessor was not the root cause of the phones catching fire, according to Samsung Electronics' mobile boss DJ Koh.
- 17 Jan 2017:Samsung's Galaxy S7 is currently the only smartphone with a device boasting a IP68 rating, but Apple allegedly plans to catch up this year with an iPhone that can can be submerged just as deep.
- 6 Jan 2017:The Galaxy Note 8 should be released in the second half of 2017, following the Galaxy S8 series that's set to be released in April.
- 30 Dec 2016:The success of the new Apple AirPods must have got the attention of the company's biggest rival in the smartphone industry and according to the latest rumor, Samsung is preparing a competitor that will most likely be launched with the announcement of the Galaxy S8.
- 29 Dec 2016:Samsung Electronics is expected to rack up a handsome profit of almost KRW9 trillion over the fourth quarter, demonstrating a major turnaround from the disappointing third quarter performance due to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle.
- 16 Dec 2016:
- 16 Nov 2016:According to the latest rumor from its home country of South Korea, Samsung is thinking about making the Galaxy S8 come with a pressure-sensitive display. If you're wondering what that means, just think Apple's 3D Touch on iPhones - that's basically it. The technology detects how hard you press on the screen, and this can be used by software to enable different functionality depending on the pressure level applied. The rumor is reportedly coming from multiple industry sources, as well as a senior executive at Samsung's component division.
- 10 Nov 2016:Will fingerprint swiping and gestures be the next big thing? We don't know for sure. But Google took a chance with it on the Google Pixel smartphones. And now it seems like Samsung will be having this technology in their phones soon, probably on the Samsung Galaxy S8 if all things go right.
- 1 Nov 2016:Samsung Note 7 debacle, Hyundai Motor strike undermine South Korean exports (Nov 1) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaSouth Korea's exports fell in October because of problems at two of its biggest companies, with Samsung Electronics abandoning its trouble-plagued Galaxy Note 7 and Hyundai Motor suffering a lengthy labor strike.
- Worldwide smartphone shipments up 1% in 3Q16 despite Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall, says IDC (Oct 26) - IDCDespite the recall of Samsung's Galaxy Note 7, volumes were up 1.0% compared to 3Q15 when vendors shipped 359.3 million units.
- Samsung Electronics said strength in its semiconductor business offset the impact to its mobile phone business caused by exploding batteries in its flagship Galaxy Note 7 products.
- 20 Oct 2016:Since Samsung recently announced the demise of the Note 7, some market watchers have speculated that the decision on production suspension is a prelude to the demise of the entire Note brand.
- 17 Oct 2016:Samsung and the South Korean government launched separate investigations last week to find the cause of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone that caught fire in several instances across the globe.
- Fearing lawsuits and subpoenas, Samsung told employees involved in the testing to keep communications about the tests offline - meaning no emails were allowed, according to the person briefed on the process.
- The exploding Note 7 is no surprise - leaked Samsung doc highlights toxic internal culture (Oct 13) - The RegisterThe PowerPoint document focuses on strategies to prevent the creation of labor unions at the South Korean company and takes a very aggressive stance, treating employees as enemies and suggesting "countermeasures" as well as ways to "dominate employees."
- 13 Oct 2016:Semiconductor manufacturers with the most exposure to Samsung business include Maxim Integrated Products, Synaptics, Qualcomm and Qorvo.
- 11 Oct 2016:Samsung Electronics tumbled after asking retail partners to stop sales and exchanges of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, the latest blow for South Korea's largest company in the midst of a crisis over exploding batteries.
- 7 Oct 2016:A replacement model of the fire-prone Samsung Note 7 smartphone began smoking inside a US plane on Wednesday, the family that owns it said, prompting fresh investigations by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Federal Aviation Administration.
- 4 Oct 2016:Samsung will likely retain the same strategy it followed for the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, wherein US models are powered by the Snapdragon 830, while the global version runs its upcoming Exynos 8895.
- 27 Sep 2016:Cabin crew on an Indian passenger aircraft have used a fire extinguisher to tackle a smoking Samsung handset.
- 26 Sep 2016:Samsung said on Sunday that it would be delaying the restart of sales in the country by three days until October 1st. The reason is apparently that the company needs more time and stock to speed up the completion of the recall in the country. The problem also seems to be compounded by the fact that Samsung believes the return of regular sales will cause a decline in the number of customers returning their phones.
- 20 Sep 2016:The sales come as Samsung is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 phone after reports of fires caused by faulty batteries.
- 14 Sep 2016:A new report suggests that Samsung is 'actively and aggressively' looking into the development of its own proprietary headphone jack following Apple's unveiling of the Lightning port-only iPhone 7.
- 6 Sep 2016:Reportedly, 70% of Galaxy Note 7 devices came with batteries produced by Samsung SDI while the rest of 30% packed batteries made by Chinese company ATL.
- 4 Sep 2016:Samsung is replacing all 2.5m units that it has shipped of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone just weeks after its release, because to a spate of exploding batteries.
- 1 Sep 2016:It could be related to reports of exploding batteries.
- 29 Aug 2016:Images posted on Baidu show a Galaxy Note 7 which cannot be more than two weeks old, black and burnt, in the aftermath of the explosion.
- 25 Aug 2016:Better-than-expected demand for Samsung Electronics' new Galaxy Note 7 is causing supply constraints globally, the South Korean tech giant said on Wednesday, suggesting strong initial sales for the new premium smartphone.
- 24 Aug 2016:Apple accounted for 75% of the smartphone industry's profits in the second quarter, but that's down from more than 90% a year ago due to Samsung's Galaxy device lineup, according to Canaccord Genuity.
- CAYIN's latest digital signage player debuts at InfoComm China 2017
- Advantest VOICE 2017 U.S. and China keynote speakers announced
- QSAN launches XS3200 series SAN storage systems for SMB/enterprise market
- UMC and Synopsys collaboration speeds 14-nm custom design
- Advantest and W2BI to Exhibit Advanced Test Solutions at Mobile World Congress
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Kuka Robotics, as the world's leading maker of robots used in automobile manufacturing, has been making...
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...