- 26 Oct 2015:Toshiba is in talks to sell its image sensor business to Sony for about Y20bn ($165m) in the latest effort by the lossmaking nuclear-to-semiconductor conglomerate to raise cash after a $1.9bn accounting scandal.
- 30 Jun 2015:Sony said the sale would help it to finance increased production within its image sensor business.
- 26 May 2015:The next-generation iPhone will reportedly sport a camera with a 12-megapixel Sony sensor that makes use of the firm's RGBW technology to help with low-light photography.
- 12 Mar 2015:Toshiba has announced the launch of "T4KB3", a 13-megapixel BSI CMOS image sensor with the optical format of 1/3.07 inch for smartphones and tablets. Sample shipments start today.
- 3 Dec 2014:Broadcom scores quad win with quad-core processor in latest smartwatch from Sony (Nov 24) - ABI ResearchThis is the first Android smartwatch based on the Broadcom system-on-chip (SoC) platform which includes a 1.2GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex A7 processor (BCM23550), an improved GPS and Sensor processing SOC (BCM47531) capable of simultaneously tracking five satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS, QZSS, SBAS, and BeiDou), the now popular Wi-Fi/BT/NFC/FM quad-combo connectivity chip (BCM43341), and a highly integrated power management IC (BCM59054).
- 6 Mar 2014:Hillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec collaborate on sensor hub solution for head-mounted displays and wearable devices (March 6) - Company releaseHillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec have announced a partnership to launch a new sensor solution for head-mounted displays (HMDs).
- 4 Dec 2013:Electronics firm Sony is considering the purchase of a Japanese chip plant from Renesas Electronics so that it can enhance production of smartphone image sensors, reports said.
- 21 Nov 2013:Kionix has announced that the KMX61G Micro-Amp Magnetic Gyro has met Microsoft's stringent sensor fusion requirements and received Windows 8.1 certification.
- 1 Nov 2013:Hillcrest Labs launches low power sensor hub for smartphones, tablets, wearables and the Internet of Things (October 29) - Company releaseHillcrest's SH-1 sensor hub includes sensor fusion, gesture recognition, and ?˜always on' functions for context aware applications.
- 25 Sep 2013:Ultra-low-power, context-aware motion-recognition platform to result from STMicroelectronics and Movea cooperation (September 20) - Company releaseSTMicroelectronics and Movea have announced their agreement to integrate Movea's SmartMotion technology into the STM32F401 microcontroller operating as a low-power sensor-hub controller.
- 22 Aug 2013:
- 16 Aug 2013:A startup called Ubi Interactive is now selling $150 software that can turn any wall, desk or screen into a 45-inch touchscreen. Just hook up a Microsoft Kinect sensor and a screen or projector, and the display will instantly gain touch-screen capabilities.
- 23 Jul 2013:Aptina has announced a new 13-megapixel sensor for smartphones, the AR1331CP.
- 17 May 2013:Imec and Renesas Electronics have entered into a new strategic research collaboration at Holst Centre. Together, the companies will collaborate to enhance ultra-low power (ULP) wireless technologies for short range communication, targeting sensor networks for automotive and industrial purposes.
- 26 Jun 2012:Sony has announced plans to invest in Sony Semiconductor's Nagasaki Technology Center from the first half of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013 through the first half of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, to increase the production capacity for stacked CMOS image sensors.
- 19 Dec 2011:Austriamicrosystems supplies light sensors in high volumes for Samsung Galaxy smartphones (December 14) - Company releaseFor the successful Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Gio, Galaxy Mini and Galaxy Neo models, Austriamicrosystems delivers integrated ambient light and proximity sensor as well as discrete proximity sensor devices.
- 29 Nov 2011:Aptina has announced the expansion of its extensive product portfolio with the production ready AR0832E backside illuminated (BSI) sensor. The AR0832E is a 1/3.2" optical format, 8-megapixel sensor with a 1.4-micron BSI pixel that produces stunning images to enable a class of Smartphone cameras capable of delivering the performance of digital still cameras.
- 14 Oct 2011:Mark Cambridge, CEO of touch sensor developer Zytronic, talks about how the UK-based manufacturer is benefiting from the proliferation of touch technology into a growing number of industrial and retail applications.
- 22 Sep 2011:With the adoption of sensors and connectivity, consumer devices have undergone a revolution: They are no longer one-way, isolated islands. They now include user and environmental awareness and interactivity, as well as connectivity with surrounding systems and the Internet.
- 16 Sep 2011:Kodak has announced a new touchscreen compact to sit within its Easyshare range, featuring a 16 megapixel sensor and HD video recording.
- 8 Aug 2011:OmniVision is promising an quarter-inch, 8-megapixel OV8850 CMOS sensor that the company says is 20% slimmer than any competing 8-megapixel module.
- 8 Apr 2011:Freescale Semiconductor won't reopen a seriously damaged chip factory in Sendai, northern Japan, the company said on April 6. The plant had been due to close at the end of 2011.
- 25 Feb 2011:Cheap sensors and network availability are not only making individual cars smarter, but they're also boosting the brainpower the environment cars drive in.
- 13 Jan 2011:Volkswagen to use Infineon sensor chip in electric power steering systems (Jan 11) - Company releaseInfineon Technologies has announced the Volkswagen AG Business Unit Braunschweig will use Infineon's Hall sensors in electric power steering systems for vehicles.
- 21 Dec 2010:Globalfoundries and the Institute of Microelectronics (IME), a research institute of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research, are joining hands to develop MEMS capacitive sensor platform technology for power-efficient and highly sensitive motion sensing applications that are relevant to consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace industries.
- 28 Oct 2010:The purported function of an ambient light sensor is to detect the amount of ambient light intersecting with the display's screen, and then either increase or decrease the display's brightness. If there's too much ambient light, the sensor adjusts the brightness upwards, and in a minimal ambient light situation, the brightness is decreased appropriately.
- 5 Oct 2010:"We're considering various options of outsourcing as well as strengthening our own production capacity because of rising demand," a spokesperson for Sony said. The Nikkei English News recently reported that Sony plans to hire Fujitsu for the bulk of the production process for complementary metal-oxide semiconductor sensors used in digital cameras and camera phones.
- 3 Sep 2010:
- 30 Aug 2010:Shares of OmniVision Technologies jumped on August 27, a day after the maker of image sensor devices for digital cameras, mobile phones, computer Webcams and other consumer electronics posted a strong outlook for the current quarter, which ends in October.
- 25 Aug 2010:the proximity sensor is actually a more serious problem for the iPhone 4 than the antenna issue, and many iPhone 4 users have been anxiously waiting for that update.
- 9 Aug 2010:Menlo is a prototype mobile device with a capacitive touch screen (4.1-inch diagonal, 800x480) running Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R2 which incorporates a Bosch BMA150 3-axis accelerometer and Bosch BMP085 digital pressure sensor (barometer)
- 12 May 2010:Professor Peter Denyer, a pioneer of CMOS imaging sensor technology for cameras, died of cancer on April 22.
- 1 Apr 2010:Avago Technologies has filed a patent infringement lawsuit in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas against STMicroelectronics, alleging that certain STMicroelectronics products infringe four of Avago's patents covering optical navigation technology.
- 27 Mar 2010:OmniVision Technologies has completed the acquisition of Aurora Systems, which makes components for digital projectors ranging from handheld ones to home theater systems.
- 22 Mar 2010:Its technology, called QuantumFilm, is four times more efficient at capturing light than traditional silicon-based image sensor chips, meaning the company's sensors will offer either higher sensitivity in low light or more megapixels in resolution.
- 19 Oct 2009:
- 13 Oct 2009:
- 4 Sep 2009:Hitachi researchers have developed a method to form cavities in the interconnect layers of CMOS ICs, allowing MEMS sensors to be created in the wiring layers.
- 22 Jun 2009:
- 2 Jun 2009:
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan makers ship 49.42 million large-size TFT-LCD panels in 1Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan sees decreased 1Q16 shipments of small- to medium-size panels
- Digitimes Research: iPhone shipments to rebound in 3Q16, but ASP to drop to US$600
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan makers ship 7.35 million LCD TVs in 1Q16
- Elo expands projective capacitive touchscreen line
- GSMA announces further details for Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2016
- With a decade of achievements, AVEXIR Technologies establishes itself as gamers' favorite
- KMF protection class II: Compact power entry module for protection class II equipment
- Prize-winning design quality: Raiden series triumphs in Red Dot Award: Product Design 2016
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Dassault Systemes, a European multinational software company that develops 3D design, 3D engineering,...
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
During a Digitimes interview, Global Sales and Operations senior vice president B.S. Teh for Seagate...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...