- 27 May 2015:Japanese stocks climbed for a seventh day, buoyed by carmakers, after the nation's exports rose more than forecast and expectations for an US interest-rate increase this year weakened the yen.
- 15 May 2015:An increasing number of companies, mainly retailers, are launching low-cost smartphone services in Japan by taking advantage of a regulatory step designed to help users easily switch mobile operators.
- 21 Apr 2015:One person has been killed in Taiwan's capital Taipei in a house fire following a 6.6 magnitude earthquake.
- 16 Apr 2015:Japan surpassed China in February as the largest foreign holder of US Treasurys for the first time since 2008, according to Treasury International Capital data released on Wednesday.
- 7 Apr 2015:Shares in Toshiba fell nearly 5% on Monday after the company said it was looking into possible accounting irregularities, its second investigation into its bookkeeping practices in less then two years.
- 24 Feb 2015:Sony has said it will spin off its video-and-audio business into a separate company as part of a three-year plan to return to profit.
- 11 Feb 2015:Samsung's smartphone marketshare in Japan is so low the company is considering pulling out of the market to avoid ongoing losses.
- 12 Jan 2015:Canon and other Japanese electronics companies want to bring production of some goods back home, reversing a years-old trend of overseas manufacturing as a rapid decline in the value of the yen makes local goods more competitive.
- 11 Dec 2014:US ceramics manufacturing group CoorsTek is buying Japanese semiconductor-materials maker Covalent Materials from Carlyle and a local buyout fund, ending a rocky lossmaking investment spanning eight years.
- 25 Nov 2014:Japan, which once looked like a world leader as it pushed its Home Energy Management System (HEMS) and the smart home standard, is now trying to get her groove back via the Internet of Things.
- 14 Nov 2014:Toshiba has become the latest electronics giant to move into a very different business line - the production of vegetables.
- The yen fell toward a seven-year low versus the dollar on speculation Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has decided to call a snap election.
- 4 Nov 2014:The yen slumped anew to its lowest level against the dollar since 2007, handing fresh profits to investors who had bet against the currency but sending shivers through Asian financial markets.
- 31 Oct 2014:SiTime, a MEMS and analog semiconductor company, has signed a definitive agreement under which MegaChips, a top 25 fabless semiconductor company based in Japan, will acquire SiTime for US$200 million in cash.
- 3 Apr 2014:
- 22 Jan 2014:The chipmaker announced that it was cutting 1,100 jobs in the US, India and Japan as it moves to "reduce investments in markets that do not offer sustainable growth and returns."
- Renesas Electronics will slash 5,400 jobs in Japan, or about one quarter of its domestic workforce, reports said Wednesday, as the struggling Japanese chipmaker overhauls its money-losing business.
- 10 Jan 2014:Canon is shifting capacity back to Japan in an apparent vindication of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's yen-weakening policies, which have made it more profitable for some Japanese manufacturers to produce and export from home.
- An explosion and fire at a Mitsubishi Materials chemical plant in central Japan on Thursday afternoon killed five people and injured at least 12 others, Yokkaichi police said.
- 27 Nov 2013:Japan's Panasonic will sell three domestic semiconductor factories to Israel's TowerJazz as early as the current business year ending March, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, bringing the embattled electronics giant closer to completing the overhaul of its loss-making businesses.
- 10 Sep 2013:
- 3 Sep 2013:The US, Japan, Australia and South Korea have all widely adopted 4G, but mobile phone users in many parts of the UK may have to wait until the end of 2015 for comprehensive coverage.
- 6 Aug 2013:Japan's Renesas Electronics said Friday it will close a plant that makes system LSI chips for Nintendo's game consoles and other consumer electronics after failing to find a buyer for the facility in Tsuruoka in northern Japan.
- 5 Aug 2013:
- 23 Jul 2013:Hewlett Packard and Japan's NEC will expand their existing partnership to develop high-end x86-based servers for cloud and Web applications.
- A craze coming out of Japan is now catching on in Silicon Valley: stickers. In the last few months, Facebook and Google have added digital stickers, basically oversize emoticons, to their chat applications. Venture-backed startups such as MessageMe and Path are also chasing the sticker fad.
- 5 Jul 2013:Panasonic will close a solar panel manufacturing plant in Hungary to consolidate production in Malaysia and Japan.
- 2 Jul 2013:The plant may be built in Tomakomai city, Hokkaido, Miyuki Nakayama, a Sharp spokeswoman, said by phone today.
- A weaker yen and solid domestic demand has brightened the mood at Japanese manufacturers, six months into Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's big effort to jolt the world's third-largest economy out of deflation.
- In addition to filing for a trademark on the term "iWatch" in Russia and Japan on June 3, we have discovered that Apple filed for a trademark in Taiwan, which follows a report from 9to5Mac that Apple filed in Mexico as well, bringing the total number of trademark filings to four.
- 19 Jun 2013:Japanese exports rose in May by the most since 2010 as the yen weakened, providing a boost to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's plan to revive the economy.
- 6 Jun 2013:Japan's NHK network is scheduled to broadcast an animated documentary on TSMC at midnight Thursday, with TSMC's chairman and CEO, Morris Chang, depicted by the fictional character Shima Kosaku.
- Japan is set to overtake Germany as the world's largest solar market by annual installations this year as government incentives to encourage clean energy in light of the Fukushima nuclear crisis attract investment.
- 16 Apr 2013:Japan-based Sony has managed to slash the operating loss in its television business by half in the just-ended fiscal year by reducing fixed costs and narrowing its product lineup, a company executive said Thursday--a significant improvement even though the segment has lost money for a ninth year in a row, the Nikkei reported.
- 20 Mar 2013:Mitsubishi, INCJ and Solar Ventures to acquire up to 150MW of solar projects in Italy (March 19) - PV MagazineMitsubishi Corporation (MC), Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ) and Solar Ventures have acquired a solar project portfolio in Italy worth 42MW.
- 13 Mar 2013:Korea, China and Japan will hold three days of talks starting on March 26 on forging a trilateral free trade agreement.
- The Japan solar market has significantly changed since the introduction of feed-in-tariffs (FITs) last July. With domestic demand growing faster than expected, Japan's government has proposed a FIT reduction of around 10%.
- 6 Mar 2013:After an earlier complaint against Nichia was rejected, Everlight has uncovered additional details to bolster its claim that fictitious results were included in a Nichia patent application.
- 1 Mar 2013:Samsung has failed to secure a iPhone ban in Japan in its latest patent fight with Apple.
- Clientron reveals its brand new all-in-one POS terminal - Wing650
- ThroughTek to showcase partner solutions at Computex 2015
- Launching custom-made projector LED light sources, shaping up speedy service model
- Sidekick at the 2015 SIA new product showcase in ISC West won award
- Jorjin launch SimpleLink module solutions for Internet of Everything
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Six 2-in-1 Chromebooks scheduled for 2015 to tackle non-education markets
- Demand for overclocking surges in the face of declining desktop market, says HWinsights
- Is Japan losing its influence in global semiconductor market?, asks IC Insights
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
Global demand for LED lighting will peak in 2018, with LED applications to acount for 70% of all lighting...
Through intensified cooperation with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and MediaTek,...
Taiwan-based crystalline silicon solar cell makers have been impacted by the US imposing an average...
The IC backend service industry was capped by a flurry of merger and acquisition (M&A) activities...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...