- 3 Apr 2014:
- 22 Jan 2014:The chipmaker announced that it was cutting 1,100 jobs in the US, India and Japan as it moves to "reduce investments in markets that do not offer sustainable growth and returns."
- Renesas Electronics will slash 5,400 jobs in Japan, or about one quarter of its domestic workforce, reports said Wednesday, as the struggling Japanese chipmaker overhauls its money-losing business.
- 10 Jan 2014:Canon is shifting capacity back to Japan in an apparent vindication of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's yen-weakening policies, which have made it more profitable for some Japanese manufacturers to produce and export from home.
- An explosion and fire at a Mitsubishi Materials chemical plant in central Japan on Thursday afternoon killed five people and injured at least 12 others, Yokkaichi police said.
- 27 Nov 2013:Japan's Panasonic will sell three domestic semiconductor factories to Israel's TowerJazz as early as the current business year ending March, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, bringing the embattled electronics giant closer to completing the overhaul of its loss-making businesses.
- 10 Sep 2013:
- 3 Sep 2013:The US, Japan, Australia and South Korea have all widely adopted 4G, but mobile phone users in many parts of the UK may have to wait until the end of 2015 for comprehensive coverage.
- 6 Aug 2013:Japan's Renesas Electronics said Friday it will close a plant that makes system LSI chips for Nintendo's game consoles and other consumer electronics after failing to find a buyer for the facility in Tsuruoka in northern Japan.
- 5 Aug 2013:
- 23 Jul 2013:Hewlett Packard and Japan's NEC will expand their existing partnership to develop high-end x86-based servers for cloud and Web applications.
- A craze coming out of Japan is now catching on in Silicon Valley: stickers. In the last few months, Facebook and Google have added digital stickers, basically oversize emoticons, to their chat applications. Venture-backed startups such as MessageMe and Path are also chasing the sticker fad.
- 5 Jul 2013:Panasonic will close a solar panel manufacturing plant in Hungary to consolidate production in Malaysia and Japan.
- 2 Jul 2013:The plant may be built in Tomakomai city, Hokkaido, Miyuki Nakayama, a Sharp spokeswoman, said by phone today.
- A weaker yen and solid domestic demand has brightened the mood at Japanese manufacturers, six months into Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's big effort to jolt the world's third-largest economy out of deflation.
- In addition to filing for a trademark on the term "iWatch" in Russia and Japan on June 3, we have discovered that Apple filed for a trademark in Taiwan, which follows a report from 9to5Mac that Apple filed in Mexico as well, bringing the total number of trademark filings to four.
- 19 Jun 2013:Japanese exports rose in May by the most since 2010 as the yen weakened, providing a boost to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's plan to revive the economy.
- 6 Jun 2013:Japan's NHK network is scheduled to broadcast an animated documentary on TSMC at midnight Thursday, with TSMC's chairman and CEO, Morris Chang, depicted by the fictional character Shima Kosaku.
- Japan is set to overtake Germany as the world's largest solar market by annual installations this year as government incentives to encourage clean energy in light of the Fukushima nuclear crisis attract investment.
- 16 Apr 2013:Japan-based Sony has managed to slash the operating loss in its television business by half in the just-ended fiscal year by reducing fixed costs and narrowing its product lineup, a company executive said Thursday--a significant improvement even though the segment has lost money for a ninth year in a row, the Nikkei reported.
- 20 Mar 2013:Mitsubishi, INCJ and Solar Ventures to acquire up to 150MW of solar projects in Italy (March 19) - PV MagazineMitsubishi Corporation (MC), Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ) and Solar Ventures have acquired a solar project portfolio in Italy worth 42MW.
- 13 Mar 2013:Korea, China and Japan will hold three days of talks starting on March 26 on forging a trilateral free trade agreement.
- The Japan solar market has significantly changed since the introduction of feed-in-tariffs (FITs) last July. With domestic demand growing faster than expected, Japan's government has proposed a FIT reduction of around 10%.
- 6 Mar 2013:After an earlier complaint against Nichia was rejected, Everlight has uncovered additional details to bolster its claim that fictitious results were included in a Nichia patent application.
- 1 Mar 2013:Samsung has failed to secure a iPhone ban in Japan in its latest patent fight with Apple.
- 18 Feb 2013:The yen resumed its slide on Monday as Group of 20 officials held off from censuring Japan for appearing to target a weaker currency as a way to spur growth.
- 7 Feb 2013:As part of its broader restructuring measures, Fujitsu said it will cut 5,000 jobs, including 3,000 workers in Japan and 2,000 overseas, partly through early retirement offers. Fujitsu currently has about 170,000 workers world-wide.
- 6 Feb 2013:Fujitsu and Panasonic are in the final stage of talks to go ahead with a merger of their large-scale integrated chip (LSI) operations into a new company, NHK reported Friday.
- 24 Jan 2013:Japan has posted a record high trade deficit for 2012, as exports to Europe and China continued their plunge.
- 22 Jan 2013:As well as its US regional headquarters, Sony has also indicated its willingness to sell the building housing its television business in Tokyo.
- 16 Jan 2013:Japan's economy minister surprised financial markets on Tuesday by warning of the potential ill effects of a sharply weaker yen in a rare rhetorical departure from years of attempts by Tokyo to talk the currency down.
- 7 Jan 2013:
- 4 Jan 2013:The dollar jumped to a two-year high against the yen Thursday on expectations that Japan's new government will lower interest rates to boost the economy, weakening the yen.
- 28 Dec 2012:Japan's industrial output tumbled more than forecast to the lowest level since the aftermath of the record 2011 earthquake. In contrast, South Korea's industrial output exceeded estimates in November and the nation's current-account surplus rose to a record.
- 18 Dec 2012:Shares rose early on Monday after the win by Shinzo Abe, who has promised more public spending and says he will implement measures directed at weakening the yen and fighting deflation.
- 12 Dec 2012:There's nothing surprising about Japan going out of its way to bail out Renesas Electronics. The obvious objective is to maintain a steady flow of Renesas chips into domestic products, especially Toyota and Nissan automobiles.
- 21 Nov 2012:Japan's prime minister dissolved the lower house of parliament Friday to avoid a disastrous freeze in government spending, triggering elections that could result in more aggressive policies to stimulate the country's economy.
- 5 Nov 2012:A joint venture between Sumitomo and Kazakhstan's state-owned Kazatomprom uranium mining group officially opened a rare earth metal plant Friday in the former Soviet republic.
- 31 Oct 2012:Toshiba is expected to report a 10% drop in consolidated operating profit for the April-September period as a strong yen hurt sales, the Nikkei reported.
- Accurate Analysis of Multi-Gigabit Systems Using HSPICE
- GIGABYTE's EasyTune App makes overclocking a breeze on new Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition CPUs
- OAXIS adds a second E Ink screen to your smartphone with launch of InkCase+ on Kickstarter
- Indium announces RMA-155 Pb-Free Solder Paste
- EverFocus' great leap forward: eZ Hopper
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Digitimes Research: Hisilicon AP to give Huawei cost advantage in high-end mobile device market
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
- Digitimes Research: Google looking to clean up Android device mess in emerging markets
- Digitimes Research: Youngfast, Melfas looking beyond G1F touch
MediaTek has taken up to 60% of the 3G handset solution market in China, pushing the market value of...
AMD has been reorganizing its businesss, such as moving its desktop business headquarters to Beijing,...
Intel president Renee James, during a recent interview, told Digitimes that the company and its partners...
According to a recent IDC research note, the transition toward mobile and cloud-based computing is...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...