- 21 Aug 2016:Specifications for DDR5 memory will be released this year, and deployment of the DRAM will begin in 2020, according to a slide deck presented at the Intel Developer Forum this week.
- 3 Aug 2016:
- 26 Jul 2016:At Computex last month, Asustek showed Transformer 3, which resembles Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet and runs on Kaby Lake.
- 4 Jul 2016:Japan's NEC will sell most of its interest in a personal computer joint venture with Lenovo Group to the Chinese partner for about JPY20 billion (US$195 million), using the proceeds for growth investment.
- 30 Jun 2016:Seagate Technology, a maker of disk drives for computers, said it's cutting about 3% of its workforce in an effort to reduce costs amid a slump in demand for PCs.
- 2 Jun 2016:Google is seeking to raise between $218 million and $221 million by selling shares in Chinese personal computer maker Lenovo, according to a deal term sheet seen by IFR on Wednesday.
- 31 Mar 2016:Micron Technology gave a fiscal third-quarter forecast that missed analysts' estimates due to weaker demand for personal computer components.
- 18 Mar 2016:PC market stabilization remains an elusive goal despite pockets of growth, says IDC (Mar 11) - Company releaseThe outlook for PC shipments continues to call for eventual stabilization as competition from other devices eases, upgrades to new models and Windows 10 boost demand, and economic conditions around the world stabilize or improve. However, the decline in PC volume since early 2012 is still expected to linger through 2016 with later years struggling to boost volumes as economic issues and competing products continue to present headwinds, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker.
- 17 Mar 2016:Having trailed behind both Intel and Nvidia in the PC graphics market in recent years, AMD is preparing to go all in on virtual reality.
- 11 Mar 2016:AMD has introduced XConnect, a form of driver-level support for external graphics cards, as part of its latest Radeon 16.3 driver. XConnect allows users to add and remove a Thunderbolt 3 external graphics device (eGFX) such as the Razer Core, without needing to restart the PC, as well as switch between discrete and integrated graphics on-the-fly.
- 16 Feb 2016:Vaio, the personal computer maker spun off from Sony Corp. in 2014, is closing in on a three-way merger with rivals to create a producer that can dominate Japan and weather a shrinking global PC market.
- 27 Jan 2016:
- 30 Dec 2015:Intel's $16.7bn purchase of programmable chipmaker Altera is likely to be a model for future big acquisitions at the company as the semiconductor industry's merger boom continues, according to the US company's chief dealmaker.
- 27 Dec 2015:Fujitsu is planning to spin off its mobile phone handset business, as well as the PC operations, next spring so that it can respond swiftly to changes in market trends and boost profitability.
- 27 Nov 2015:
- 16 Oct 2015:Intel and Microsoft are teaming with three leading PC makers on a new ad campaign designed to make potential computer buyers more aware of all the things a modern PC can do.
- 15 Oct 2015:
- 2 Oct 2015:Micron Technology's fourth-quarter profit fell sharply as lower selling prices again drove down revenue, underscoring the effects of weakened demand for personal computers.
- 1 Oct 2015:Toshiba Corp (6502.T) may lay off staff in its underperforming home appliances, TV and PC businesses and seek a partner for its nuclear operations to overhaul the company after a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, its chief executive said on Thursday.
- 15 Sep 2015:Japan's stock exchange ordered Toshiba to pay a record fine of Y91.2m ($750,000) in the wake of a $2bn accounting scandal, marking another reputational blow to the lossmaking nuclear-to-semiconductor conglomerate.
- 8 Sep 2015:
- 13 Aug 2015:Lenovo is laying off 3,200 employees and trimming down its smartphone portfolio in response to a slowdown in its PC and handset sales.
- 17 Jul 2015:
- 16 Jul 2015:Not so long ago, the release of a new Windows operating system was a sure bet to drive a massive PC refresh cycle, boosting sales by double digit percentages. But that is a thing of the past.
- 30 Jun 2015:Shares of chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are up 7 cents, or 3%, at $2.41, after PC and gaming gear enthusiast site KitGuru this afternoon said the company is attracting buyout interest from Microsoft.
- 29 Jun 2015:Intel's Cannonlake, originally slated for 2016 and later 2017, is now on hold indefinitely. Instead, Intel's current processors - of the Skylake platform - will be succeeded by the less drastic Kaby Lake platform.
- Samsung has been accused of disabling Microsoft's software in preference for its own, leaving computers insecure.
- 26 Jun 2015:Micron Technology said it expects a further decline in prices of chips used in personal computers, and forecast revenue for the current quarter well below market estimates.
- 24 Jun 2015:American chip manufacturers argue that, without the trade deal, they will be squeezed out of the growing Asian market for computer chips by competitors in countries like China.
- 23 Jun 2015:
- 18 Jun 2015:
- 16 Jun 2015:Pricing of DRAM, based on his "checks" with entities in Taiwan, is weak in PC, servers, and in graphics applications, writes Moore.
- 15 Jun 2015:Demand for semiconductors continued to weaken in the second quarter with some PC assemblers in Asia suggesting a decline in purchases of some parts of as much as 15-20% from the second quarter of 2014, according to a report from Wall Street analysts at Deutsche Bank.
- 3 Mar 2015:
- 27 Jan 2015:
- 15 Jan 2015:
- 5 Jan 2015:
- 26 Nov 2014:
- 5G Asia 2016 breakfast briefing hosted by F5
- JJPLUS leads the way in creating a new wireless charging ecosystem
- ABB to divest cable business to NKT Cables
- Smart mobile video systems for police patrol cars, a state-of-the-art technology
- OEM servers featuring Aptio V UEFI firmware support for Diablo technologies' Memory1 module shipping now
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...