- 2 Oct 2015:Micron Technology's fourth-quarter profit fell sharply as lower selling prices again drove down revenue, underscoring the effects of weakened demand for personal computers.
- 1 Oct 2015:Toshiba Corp (6502.T) may lay off staff in its underperforming home appliances, TV and PC businesses and seek a partner for its nuclear operations to overhaul the company after a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, its chief executive said on Thursday.
- 15 Sep 2015:Japan's stock exchange ordered Toshiba to pay a record fine of Y91.2m ($750,000) in the wake of a $2bn accounting scandal, marking another reputational blow to the lossmaking nuclear-to-semiconductor conglomerate.
- 8 Sep 2015:
- 13 Aug 2015:Lenovo is laying off 3,200 employees and trimming down its smartphone portfolio in response to a slowdown in its PC and handset sales.
- 17 Jul 2015:
- 16 Jul 2015:Not so long ago, the release of a new Windows operating system was a sure bet to drive a massive PC refresh cycle, boosting sales by double digit percentages. But that is a thing of the past.
- 30 Jun 2015:Shares of chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are up 7 cents, or 3%, at $2.41, after PC and gaming gear enthusiast site KitGuru this afternoon said the company is attracting buyout interest from Microsoft.
- 29 Jun 2015:Intel's Cannonlake, originally slated for 2016 and later 2017, is now on hold indefinitely. Instead, Intel's current processors - of the Skylake platform - will be succeeded by the less drastic Kaby Lake platform.
- Samsung has been accused of disabling Microsoft's software in preference for its own, leaving computers insecure.
- 26 Jun 2015:Micron Technology said it expects a further decline in prices of chips used in personal computers, and forecast revenue for the current quarter well below market estimates.
- 24 Jun 2015:American chip manufacturers argue that, without the trade deal, they will be squeezed out of the growing Asian market for computer chips by competitors in countries like China.
- 23 Jun 2015:
- 18 Jun 2015:
- 16 Jun 2015:Pricing of DRAM, based on his "checks" with entities in Taiwan, is weak in PC, servers, and in graphics applications, writes Moore.
- 15 Jun 2015:Demand for semiconductors continued to weaken in the second quarter with some PC assemblers in Asia suggesting a decline in purchases of some parts of as much as 15-20% from the second quarter of 2014, according to a report from Wall Street analysts at Deutsche Bank.
- 3 Mar 2015:
- 27 Jan 2015:
- 15 Jan 2015:
- 5 Jan 2015:
- 26 Nov 2014:
- 25 Nov 2014:
- 18 Nov 2014:
- Intel plans to combine operations that handle chips for personal computers with those targeting smartphones and tablets, according to an email sent to employees by Chief Executive Brian Krzanich.
- 6 Nov 2014:Lenovo Group On Thursday said its net profit for the quarter through September rose 19% on growing sales of both personal computers and smartphones.
- 31 Oct 2014:Samsung starts mass production of 8Gb DDR4 based on 20nm process technology (Oct 22) - Company releaseSamsung successfully expands the use of the 20 nanometer process from PC and mobile memory to the enterprise server market.
- 1 Sep 2014:
- 12 Aug 2014:
- 15 Jul 2014:
- 26 Jun 2014:
- 10 Jun 2014:
- 3 Jun 2014:
- 21 Mar 2014:
- 7 Mar 2014:At an IBM factory in southern China, more than 1,000 workers have staged a strike to protest the company's plan to transfer employees to the Chinese PC arm, the Lenovo Group.
- 13 Feb 2014:Lenovo reported Thursday it had made progress in its plan to expand beyond PCs, even before a planned acquisition of Motorola Mobility.
- 22 Jan 2014:AMD was profitable for the second consecutive quarter, thanks in large part to the success of the gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony that are powered by the vendor's chips.
- Lenovo's talks to buy part of IBM's server business show the Chinese PC giant's next ambition: challenging US rivals in the lucrative market for products and services aimed at corporate clients.
- 15 Jan 2014:Intel puts new Arizona processor plant on hold amid PC slump (January 14) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Intel said it will delay opening a new factory in Arizona amid a slump in demand for PC microprocessors, its main source of revenue.
- 6 Sep 2013:
- Thunder: Custom and Big Data analysis layout solution
- IoT of tomorrow can change mankind
- Advantest joins with Malaysian OSAT Fabtronic and government group to establish first shared-services lab in Southeast Asia
- Leveraging smart automated SI energy, Toes helps manufacturers move towards Industry 4.0
- Imagination receives TSMC 2015 Graphics Partner of the Year Award
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
Notebook vendor Acer aims to ship at least five million smartphones in 2015 and plans to hike the shipments...
The acquisition of Freescale by NXP Semiconductors will make NXP the world's second largest MCU supplier...
Competition in the graphics card market has grown fierce as demand for graphics cards from the gaming...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...