- 23 Oct 2013:While TI hit the targets, investors seemed shaken by drops in revenue and EPS from the same quarter last year.
- Broadcom fell after the company forecast lower fourth-quarter revenue than analysts estimated and said it's cutting as many as 1,150 jobs as demand slows for chips that connect mobile phones to the Internet.
- 22 Oct 2013:Applied Materials extends leadership in metal oxide display manufacturing technology (October 16) - Company releaseApplied Materials has announced new technology systems for manufacturing large size and ultra-high definition (UHD) LCD and OLED displays that meet consumer demand for greater screen performance, clarity, color and brightness.
- 18 Oct 2013:Xilinx has reported adjusted earnings per share of 49 cents in the second quarter of fiscal 2014, which lagged the Zacks Consensus Estimate of 52 cents per share. However, reported earnings increased 6.6% from the year-ago quarter.
- SanDisk more than tripled its quarterly profit, beating analysts' estimates, after a fire at a rival chipmaker increased prices at a time when Apple and other users of its flash memory chips were launching new products.
- 17 Oct 2013:
- ASML said it sees first-half sales in 2014 at similar levels to the second half of this year - which would translate into sales of about EUR3.12 billion if the company meets its full-year sales forecast of EUR5.2 billion in 2013.
- 16 Oct 2013:Chipmakers including Broadcom and Renesas Electronics are ramping up in-car entertainment with faster processors and networks for wireless HD movies and navigation, aiming to keep drivers informed and passengers entertained.
- 15 Oct 2013:Imagination Technologies has announced the first MIPS Series5 ?śWarrior P-class' CPU, representing a major step forward in feature set for high-performance MIPS CPU IP cores.
- InvenSense to acquire MEMS microphone business line from Analog Devices (October 14) - Company releaseInvenSense and Analog Devices have entered into a definitive purchase agreement for InvenSense to acquire all of the assets of ADI that are exclusively related to ADI's MEMS microphone business line including intellectual property, goodwill and certain tangible and intangible assets.
- 14 Oct 2013:The Advanced Patterning Center will offer the global semiconductor ecosystem crucial patterning knowledge for sub-10nm technologies.
- NXP strengthens footprint in Singapore and upgrades R&D capabilities (September 26) - Company releaseNXP Semiconductors has strengthened its presence in Asia by establishing Singapore as its global headquarters.
- Dongbu HiTek is not exactly a household name in the foundry business like TSMC, Globalfoundries and Samsung. But Dongbu, a company described by some as the industry's best kept secret, has been sharpening its strategy, honing its skills, and steadily expanding capacity in South Korea under Chang-Sik Choi, who became its president and CEO a year and a half ago.
- ARM has opened a new Design Center in Noida, North India. The center will focus on IP design in specialized areas such as planar and FinFET CMOS technologies and address the growing needs of ARM partners.
- 4 Oct 2013:Its forecasts also indicate potentially slowing profit growth at its mobile business-a signal that its run of record results is under threat by rising competition and lower-margin phones taking up a bigger proportion of sales.
- 2 Oct 2013:RDA Microelectronics said China's state-owned Shanghai Pudong Science and Technology Investment offered to buy the shares of the chipmaker it does not already own at $15.50 per American depositary share.
- 1 Oct 2013:Intel will take over a plant in Israel's Kiryat Gat city after it was shut down by the US microchip manufacturer Micron in a bid to save 800 jobs, it was announced Sunday.
- Samsung Electronics has begun commissioning equipment orders for its newly constructed semiconductor plant in Xian, China.
- SK Hynix is considering signing a cross-licensing deal on memory chip patents with Micron Technology.
- 26 Sep 2013:Synaptics first to achieve Microsoft Precision Touchpad certification for Windows 8.1 (September 17) - Company releaseSynaptics has announced that its TouchPad solution is the first to be certified under the Precision Touchpad (PTP) program for Windows 8.1-based PCs and notebooks.
- 25 Sep 2013:Ultra-low-power, context-aware motion-recognition platform to result from STMicroelectronics and Movea cooperation (September 20) - Company releaseSTMicroelectronics and Movea have announced their agreement to integrate Movea's SmartMotion technology into the STM32F401 microcontroller operating as a low-power sensor-hub controller.
- 24 Sep 2013:The Securities and Exchange Commission has charged a former Qualcomm executive and his financial adviser with insider trading, alleging he used a secret offshore brokerage account to make trades based on inside information about the chipmaker.
- 23 Sep 2013:4G chipmaker Sequans Communications has announced that Verizon Wireless has certified its VZ20Q LTE module.
- Dialog Semi PWM controller IC lowers cost and standby power in smartphone power supplies (September 17) - Company releaseDialog Semiconductor has launched what it claims is the industry's first digital pulse width modulation (PWM) controller that can easily and efficiently drive low-cost, 10W power bipolar junction transistor (BJT) switches to reduce the BOM cost in 5V/2A smartphone adapters and chargers.
- JEDEC has announced the publication of Universal Flash Storage (UFS) version 2.0, which offers performance and power saving features over the prior version of the standard.
- A7 processor manufactured by Samsung, M7 is standalone processor from NXP (September 20) - Mac RumorsChipworks found that the A7 chip is manufactured by Samsung. Chipworks also found what it believes to be the M7 motion coprocessor, which iFixit dubbed the "magical" chip because it couldn't be found on the logic board during the original teardown. Instead, the M7 is a discrete processor from NXP.
- Tronics Microsystems, a MEMS manufacturer headquartered in Grenoble, France, has appointed Pascal Langlois as CEO.
- Two consortiums, including IBM and STMicroelectronics, have proposed building semiconductor wafer plants in India costing a total of $8 billion, a minister said after the government approved concessions to lure chipmakers.
- Luis Arbulu, a former Google business development and investment executive, has joined Samsung Electronics, Fortune has learned. He will be a Menlo Park-based director in Samsung's new Open Innovation Center, whose strategy includes making small early-stage investments into promising hardware and software startups.
- RFMD has introduced what it claims is the world's first 6-inch GaN-on-Silicon Carbide (SiC) wafers for manufacturing RF power transistors for both military and commercial use.
- 11 Sep 2013:Qualcomm made a splash last week when it unveiled the Toq smartwatch, which charges without being plugged in. That same technology will soon be used on bigger, faster gadgets: race cars.
- 10 Sep 2013:China's industrial production rose by more than expected in August, the latest sign that the world's second-largest economy may be on the mend.
- 6 Sep 2013:Broadcom has announced a definitive agreement to acquire LTE-related assets from affiliates of Renesas Electronics.
- 5 Sep 2013:Qualcomm will release a Qualcomm branded smartwatch designed to serve as a second display to your smartphone in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- SK Hynix Inc said on Wednesday it had suspended operations at its China plant, which produces around 12% of global computer memory chips, because of a fire.
- 3 Sep 2013:The company formed a foundry business about three years ago, but until recently its customers have been tiny companies.
- 2 Sep 2013:
- Imagination Technologies will release a new CPU design in 2014 for low-power servers.
- 30 Aug 2013:While showing production values of less than 3nm wavelength uniformity, the 1.0nm result came straight from development. The record 1.0 nm result demonstrates the capability to achieve "1 bin" GaN-on-Si LED wafers with Azzuro's technology.
- Knowles Corporation celebrates 40th anniversary in Taiwan, showcasing multiple innovative solutions
- Advantest announces newest handler for testing advanced memory ICs
- CEVA offers total solutions for the multi-billion-dollar IoT market
- Seizing IoT opportunities, CEVA acquires RivieraWaves
- NXP appoints new VP, Taiwan Sales and Country Manager
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Perforce Software Introduces Perforce Swarm
- Perforce Unveils Git Fusion, Improving Git Experience
- ATO Solution Co., Ltd. to launch 1Gb SLC NAND Flash after 256Mb/512Mb mass production for the first time in Fab-less industry
- Chilisin's miniature power inductor in 0603/0805 sizes
- Chilisin introduces Thin-film chip inductor 0201 size
- Digitimes Research: MediaTek, Rockchip to join Chromebook market
- Digitimes Research: Intel looking to promote x86 architecture to China chip designers
- Digitimes Research: Hisilicon AP to give Huawei cost advantage in high-end mobile device market
- Digitimes Research: Google looking to clean up Android device mess in emerging markets
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm far ahead of Marvell and MediaTek in China LTE market
Semicon Taiwan 2014 will kick off in Taipei from September 3-5, with this year's theme focusing on advanced wafer processes, next-generation memory technologies,...
Digitimes Research expects Taiwan's IC backend production to outperform global average n 2014
TSMC and UMC see strong results for 1Q14
MediaTek's presence in China has been expanding.
The move by Globalfoundries to acquire IBM's semiconductor business unit and to team up with Samsung...
The global wireless charging market is set for an explosive growth in 2015 as wireless charging applications...
NAND flash chip controller maker Phison Electronics has seen its sales grow robustly in 2014. And under...
With the global LED lighting application market taking off, and business opportunities emerging fast,...
- Taiwan DRAM module industry overview - Jun 2011
The year 2010 represented a peak in recent years for the DRAM module industry. Optimism surfaced in the second half of 2009 thanks to a return of demand on the...
- Taiwan DRAM-module industry overview - May 2010
Back to 2006 when total revenues for the third-party module market reached US$12.2 billion, Taiwan had over 15 vendors shipping DRAM modules under their own brand...
- Taiwan semiconductor equipment industry overview - Aug 2008
Worries about a global economic downturn have taken a toll on a number of industries, with the semiconductor industry being no exception. Players in the semiconductor...
- Foundry overview - Sep 2006
Taiwan's semiconductor industry has begun to out-run its global peers, once more, in 2006. This followed a trough in 2004, caused by over-inventory, plus volatility...