- 27 Oct 2015:This is a huge development for the company's data center business, as its long-term goal is to become a complete provider of data center solutions.
- 26 Oct 2015:Philips has announced that its $3.3bn sale of Lumileds could be blocked by US authorities.
- Toshiba is in talks to sell its image sensor business to Sony for about Y20bn ($165m) in the latest effort by the lossmaking nuclear-to-semiconductor conglomerate to raise cash after a $1.9bn accounting scandal.
- In what may be another sign that Apple is getting serious about cars, the company has hired Jonathan Cohen, the director of deep learning for chip-maker Nvidia. Nvidia is best-known for its graphics products used for computer games, but it has recently been pushing into the world of autonomous vehicles.
- It's now being rumored that Keller has joined Samsung, where he'll begin work in the mobile processor division.
- 23 Oct 2015:Texas Instruments' chief financial officer said Wednesday (Oct. 21) that the company doesn't have immediate plans to join the consolidation frenzy currently taking place in the semiconductor industry.
- SK Hynix has returned to the consumer solid state drives market again, three years after the company disappeared in the market in 2012.
- 3M unveiled a restructuring plan that includes an expected workforce reduction of roughly 1,500 positions globally as the diversified manufacturer reported that its third-quarter earnings were nearly flat and currency impacts weighed on revenue.
- 21 Oct 2015:Intel to spend at least $3.5 billion converting China plant for memory chips (Oct 20) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Intel's move comes as the chip industry undergoes a wave of consolidation and China steps up efforts to build local technology manufacturing capacity.
- 20 Oct 2015:The two companies could reach a deal as soon as this week.
- 19 Oct 2015:Intel now has a thousand people or more working to outfit a 2016 iPhone with its lauded 7360 LTE modem chip, sources say. If all goes well, Intel may end up providing both the modem and the fabrication for a new Apple system on a chip.
- The investment firm has lowered its estimates for the component suppliers to Apple, in the wake of disappointing feedback regarding iPhone 6s sales from carrier surveys.
- 15 Oct 2015:Analog Devices and Maxim Integrated Products are in talks about a possible combination that would give them more scale in a consolidating industry, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- World No. 1 chipmaker Intel gained unconditional EU antitrust approval on Wednesday for its US$16.7 billion bid for Altera, its largest ever acquisition.
- 14 Oct 2015:The University of Wisconsin successfully claimed that Apple used its microchip technology without permission in some iPhones and iPads.
- SanDisk and HP launch partnership to create memory-driven computing solutions (Oct 8) - Company releaseSanDisk and HP have announced a long-term partnership to collaborate on a new technology within the Storage Class Memory (SCM) category. The partnership will center around HP's Memristor technology and expertise and SanDisk's non-volatile ReRAM memory technology and manufacturing and design expertise to create new enterprise-wide solutions for Memory-driven Computing.
- Cypress Semiconductor has withdrawn its offer for Atmel, the second failed attempt by the company to acquire a chipmaker this year.
- VeriSilicon and Vivante have announced a definitive merger agreement under which the companies will be combined in an all-stock transaction. The combined company, to be called VeriSilicon, will offer robust IP-centric, platform-based custom silicon solutions and end-to-end semiconductor turnkey services.
- Micron Technology and Western Digital are in talks with SanDisk about a possible acquisition, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the process is private.
- 13 Oct 2015:Qualcomm has revealed its plans to enter the server CPU market with a custom processor based on a design from UK chip company ARM.
- 12 Oct 2015:The big risk to Apple is that dual sourcing A9s in this fashion makes that task all the harder, which is one of the reasons why SoCs are rarely dual sourced.
- Tsinghua Unigroup, the state-backed Chinese firm that recently agreed to buy a stake in Western Digital, is close to acquiring local chip company Tongfang Guoxin Electronics, a person familiar with the matter said.
- "We have cooperation with Micron on the business level," Unigroup Chairman Zhao Weiguo said in an interview Sunday, declining to elaborate on the nature of the cooperation. "We'd like to conduct business by cooperating with current memory giants, by setting up JV plants in China."
- Micron Technology is spending over 100 billion yen ($830 million) to enable its Japanese facility in Hiroshima to mass-produce the next generation of memory chips in an attempt to take on global leader Samsung Electronics.
- 8 Oct 2015:Following the launch of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus last month, it was discovered that Apple is dual sourcing the A9 chip for the new devices from both TSMC and Samsung, with the chips from the two companies measuring at slightly different sizes due to different processes used in manufacturing the chips.
- 7 Oct 2015:Samsung Electronics estimated July-September operating profit would leap 80% from a year earlier to 7.3 trillion won ($6.3 billion), higher than a 6.7 trillion won profit Thomson Reuters SmartEstimate derived from 30 analysts.
- Western Digital and Unisplendour have entered into an agreement under which a subsidiary of Unis will make a US$3.775 billion equity investment in Western Digital.
- 6 Oct 2015:International Business Machines has formed a new business unit to capitalize on the recent groundswell in artificial intelligence.
- Samsung Electronics and SK hynix have clinched no overseas takeover deals for the semiconductor business this year, in contract to their global peers who've been strongly engaged in the merger and acquisition (M&A) activities.
- Skyworks Solutions has announced a definitive agreement under which Skyworks will acquire PMC for US$10.50 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately US$2 billion. This acquisition solidifies Skyworks' position as a highly diversified analog, RF and mixed signal semiconductor leader.
- The new company will aim to commence operations on April 1, 2016.
- Micron gains SSD controller technology through Tidal Systems aquisition (Oct 2) - Tom's Hardware GuideOne day after an earnings call with investors, Micron Technology has acquired Tidal Systems for an undisclosed sum.
- 5 Oct 2015:The chairman of China's Tsinghua Unigroup traveled to the United States this week to meet with board members of Micron Technology and try to revive a politically fraught takeover bid of the US chipmaker, people familiar with the matter said.
- 2 Oct 2015:Micron Technology's fourth-quarter profit fell sharply as lower selling prices again drove down revenue, underscoring the effects of weakened demand for personal computers.
- Synaptics, the maker of touch-screen technology used in phones, tablets and computers, rejected an offer from a state-backed Chinese investment group that valued the company at almost US$4 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- PMC, which is based in Santa Clara, California, is being pitched to other semiconductor companies, rather than private-equity firms.
- Net income in the period ended September 3 fell to US$471 million, or 42 cents a share, from US$1.15 billion, or 96 cents, a year earlier.
- Struggling chipmaker AMD has said it will cut about 500 jobs, or 5% of its global workforce, as it looks to rein in costs amid weak demand for its chips used in personal computers and intense competition.
- 1 Oct 2015:Chinese interest in Synaptics and Western Digital shows Beijing is accelerating efforts to buy the building blocks for a domestic technology industry.
- Toshiba Corp (6502.T) may lay off staff in its underperforming home appliances, TV and PC businesses and seek a partner for its nuclear operations to overhaul the company after a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, its chief executive said on Thursday.
- Digitimes Research: Korea LCD driver IC vendor Silicon Works sees revenues hit record high in 2015
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan top-foundry combined revenues to rise 8% in 2Q16
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone AP shipments to grow 11.3% sequentially in 2Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan IC design industry output value to rise 7% in 2016
- UMC Holds 2016 Japan Technology Forum
- Securing a place in the high-end market: AVEXIR Technologies general manager Han-Hong Cheng gives a ten-year outlook on the company's future
- ASI is now Avexir official distributor in region of North America
- Macronix looks to build on automotive success with its high-performance Serial NOR Flash by eyeing ADAS opportunities
- With a decade of achievements, AVEXIR Technologies establishes itself as gamers' favorite
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
Earthquakes in Japan often cause huge damage. They have had strong impacts on the country's electronics industry.
A CNY120 billion (US$19 billion) national industry investment fund has been set up to help local foundries finance the build-up of advanced manufacturing...
Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) is seeking to acquire an up to 25% stake in fellow packaging house Siliconware Precision Industries (SPIL).
After acquiring MStar Semiconductor, MediaTek has announced more acquisitions.
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
China-based Tsinghua Unigroup is currently riding high in the global semiconductor industry with a...
While the product life cycles of analog ICs are getting shorter and shorter, the technical standards...
- Taiwan DRAM module industry overview - Jun 2011
The year 2010 represented a peak in recent years for the DRAM module industry. Optimism surfaced in the second half of 2009 thanks to a return of demand on the...
- Taiwan DRAM-module industry overview - May 2010
Back to 2006 when total revenues for the third-party module market reached US$12.2 billion, Taiwan had over 15 vendors shipping DRAM modules under their own brand...
- Taiwan semiconductor equipment industry overview - Aug 2008
Worries about a global economic downturn have taken a toll on a number of industries, with the semiconductor industry being no exception. Players in the semiconductor...
- Foundry overview - Sep 2006
Taiwan's semiconductor industry has begun to out-run its global peers, once more, in 2006. This followed a trough in 2004, caused by over-inventory, plus volatility...