- 25 Jun 2012:
- 21 Jun 2012:Philips Lumileds announced the Luxeon Z series of LEDs with models across the color space from 670-440 nm, and in phosphor-converted 4000K white.
- 20 Jun 2012:A Japanese firm is now firming up talks with a local company for a possible partnership involving the establishment of a US$200-million LED (light-emitting diode) factory in the country.
- 19 Jun 2012:Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights will come into use by 2014 in the country, enabling the Government to save RM300 million every year on energy expenses for streetlights.
- 18 Jun 2012:The pro-bailout New Democracy party came in first Sunday in Greece's national election and could gather enough support to form a pro-bailout coalition to keep the country in the eurozone.
- Japanese government to request end to energy-wasting incandescent bulbs (June 17) - The Japan Daily PressIn an attempt to save electricity and help avoid power shortages this summer, the Japanese government is expected to ask major electronics retailers and home appliance makers to voluntarily put an end to both the sales and production of traditional incandescent light bulbs.
- China government to launch subsidy program for energy-efficient lighting products (June 18) - Global TimesChina's lighting suppliers producing light-emitting diodes (LED) and energy-saving products are expected to receive a huge subsidy, which experts said yesterday will speed up the industry's consolidation.
- 6 Jun 2012:Energy efficient LEDs displace conventional technology and costs shrink overall (June 4) - Triple PunditImproving lighting efficiency is an investment in the future. Yet costs have been prohibiting many people from becoming early adaptors of energy efficient commercial lighting such as LED lighting.
- 24 May 2012:Osram Opto Semiconductors GmbH of Regensburg, Germany has added to its Oslux family with a new LED designed specifically for the camera flash in smartphones, providing a high-quality white light that illuminates the target area.
- 21 May 2012:Automakers who are dabbling in ambient lighting are preparing to dive into greater use of LED technology as a way to both create a distinctive brand identity inside the vehicle and to meet customer demand, according to automotive suppliers at the WardsAuto Interiors Conference in Dearborn.
- 14 May 2012:Philips this fall will release an LED bulb as bright as a 100-watt incandescent lamp, filling out its existing LED line. The company will add to its EnduraLED line with a lamp that gives off almost 1,700 lumens, or about the amount of light as a 100-watt incandescent, and consumes 23 watts. The product will be available this fall. Philips did not disclose the price but it is expected to be in the $40 to $50 range.
- 10 May 2012:Everlight Electronics Co., Ltd., a Taiwan-based LED maker, has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against its Japan-based rival Nichia Corp. in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- 9 May 2012:Shares of light emitting diode (LED) lighting vendors moved higher in Taipei Wednesday after local media reported a surge in orders for several major companies in the sector in reaction to looming
- 8 May 2012:Revenue from LED lighting in Asia Pacific will total $11 billion through 2021, forecasts Pike Research (April 23) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Lighting is a major consumer of electricity within commercial buildings, industrial and government facilities, traffic signals, and signs. The use of light-emitting diode (LED) products to lower energy usage and costs is increasing in many countries, including in the Asia Pacific region, where until recently energy efficient lighting products have been seen as overly expensive.
- Market research organization DisplaySearch recently estimated Taiwan's LED makers to see profit climb in the second due to ramping shipments of LED backlights for LCD TVs and tablet PCs, rising LED prices and new packaging technologies bringing cost down.
- 7 May 2012:LED and OLED lighting technologies take center stage at the Light + Building 2012, a trade fair held in Frankfurt on April 15-20, according to fair organizer Messe Frankfurt.
- GE Lighting has made a significant breakthrough in the move toward greater standardization of LED light engines with the announcement of its first *Zhaga-compliant products.
- 3 May 2012:South Korean prosecutors said Thursday they are investigating flat-panel maker LG Display Co. over its alleged infringement of rival Samsung Mobile Display's ultra-thin display technology.
- LED lighting company Solid Apollo introduces a revolution of solderless LED strip accessories; Snap and Lite (May 3) - San Francisco ChronicleNorth Seattle LED Lighting Company Solid Apollo introduces a simple and progressive way to connect LED strips by launching a product line of durable Snap and Lite Easy Connectors. These state-of-the-art adaptors, joiners and connectors fit every LED strip on the market. These new products will enable electrical contractors, architects, lighting designers, and interior designers to quickly and easily install LED lighting systems. Now you can achieve solderless electrical connections in just seconds.
- Pocahontas, Iowa, population about 1,700, is on the cutting edge of a tech revolution. It replaced all 280 of its street lamps with semiconductors that convert electricity into light.
- LDK Solar Co. (LDK), the world's second- largest maker of wafers for cells, cut 5,554 jobs this year after plunging prices cut margins to a record low amid a renewable-energy shakeout that's pushed at least eight solar companies into bankruptcy and prompted thousands of industry firings.
- 30 Apr 2012:Epistar Chairman B.J. Lee yesterday said that sales from lighting LEDs will likely account for 20%, or NT$4 billion (US$137 million at US$1:NT$29), of the company's revenue for this year, up from last year's 15%.
- 27 Apr 2012:The travel industry complained yesterday that the government's recent decision to raise fuel prices and electricity rates will have a negative impact on the industry due to increased operational costs.
- President Ma Ying-jeou repeated his call for energy saving Wednesday and revealed that the Presidential Office might replace all lamps in th
- 13 Apr 2012:Samsung South Africa said that they will be introducing a new line up of LED TVs, featuring Samsung's Triple Protector Technology, which they believe will be more affordable for the consumer.
- LED lighting, solar energy, and 3D glasses projector are set to be on the top of the agenda at an upcoming annual meeting designed to set industry standards for Taiwan and mainland China, according to chairman of Sinocon Industrial Standards Foundation of Taiwan, R.L. Chen.
- 12 Apr 2012:State-run Taipower's proposal to drastically hike electricity prices was blocked yesterday in a meeting arranged by the Ministry of Economic Affairs, giving a brief respite for households and companies.
- 11 Apr 2012:LED-lamp maker Leadray Energy Co., Ltd., partly held by Ritek Inc. and Nien Hsing Textile Co., Ltd., has recently unveiled a factory in Miaoli, northern Taiwan, completely outfitted with in-house-made LED lamps.
- 10 Apr 2012:China returned to an export-led trade surplus of $5.35 billion in March, heralding the prospect that a rebound in the global economy is lifting overseas orders just in time to compensate for a slowdown in domestic demand
- Lighting manufacturer Cree Inc. says it has halved the cost of its light-emitting-diode streetlights and hopes the new lower prices will sway local governments to adopt the new technology.
- 9 Apr 2012:Taiwan's LED streetlight output forecast to hit NT$34 billion by 2018 (March 27) - Focus Taiwan news channelThe output of Taiwan's light emitting diode (LED) streetlight manufacturing sector is expected to reach as much as NT$34 billion (US$1.15 billion) by 2018, the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) said Tuesday.
- Dimmable under cabinet lights from elemental LED now available in sleek wooden finishes (April 6) - San Francisco ChronicleElemental LED, a San Francisco Bay Area-based LED lighting company, recently released light wood and dark wood finish options on its popular dimmable LED puck light. The under cabinet lighting fixture is now available in 5 finish options: brushed aluminum, copper, black, light wood and dark wood.
- 6 Apr 2012:While Lextar Electronics Corp. estimates its production will run at full capacity by end of the second quarter at the earliest and Genesis Photonics Inc. has been inundated with orders this month, Everlight Electronics Co., Ltd. and Epistar Inc. say their capacity utilization rates are ramping up towards 100%.
- Lextar Electronics Corp., an LED subsidiary of LCD maker AU Optronics Corp. (AUO), will target Europe, North America and Japan with the LED bulbs it recently rolled out as direct replacements for 40W and 75W incandescent bulbs.
- Korean panel makers launched new LED TVs in 2012, which stimulated the demand and in turn increased LED companies' utilization rates. As a result, LED makers' revenues rebounded by 15%-20% compared to January.
- 5 Apr 2012:In terms of LED PC monitor sales during Q4 2011, LG continued to be in the top spot with a 31 per cent market share. Samsung replaced Acer in second place, while AOC maintained its position at the fourth spot
- LED Engin is to reveal details of an LED that dims like a halogen bulb, reddening as its output drops, at Light+Building in Frankfurt
- 3 Apr 2012:Barclays Capital finds that light-emitting diode (LED) manufacturing and materials patents will soon run out, potentially draining value from material/chip/package suppliers and turning LEDs into commodities.
- 2 Apr 2012:Everlight Electronics Co., Ltd., Taiwan's biggest LED packager by volume and revenue, will boost LED lighting sales to account for 15% of its annual revenue this year, up from 9% last year in reflection of its bright perspective of LED market. (April 2)
- 1 Apr 2012:
- Indium Corporation Features Heat-Spring for LED Manufacturing at IMAPS 2015
- Launching custom-made projector LED light sources, shaping up speedy service model
- Epistar promotes Co-activation Service, adopts DoB with HV chips to win over lighting brands
- ALT MR16 gets UL for testing in enclosed fixtures
- Genesis Photonics finds way to Blue Ocean through high-power, flip-chip LED technology
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: TSMC SSL merger to enhance Epistar in the LED market
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Apple-GTAT partnership to drive sapphire demand
- Commentary: Taiwan to benefit from common LED lighting standards in Greater China
- Linear announces synchronous buck LED driver controller
- iWatt targets high power density in ultra-small overall adapter size with new devices
- ViewSonic announces ultra-portable LED projector line
- Chimei expects LED models to account for over 30% of its monitor revenues in 2010
- Photonics Festival in Taiwan: Everlight showcases LED agriculture lamps
Latest developments of Lextar.
The India government is accelerating the adoption of LED lighting in the country.
LED firms have reported significant sales for March
Epistar's chairman has expressed optimism about the LED industry in the next three years.
Global demand for LED lighting will peak in 2018, with LED applications to acount for 70% of all lighting...
With the global LED lighting application market taking off, and business opportunities emerging fast,...
US-based Cree will invest US$83 million to take a 13.32% stake in Taiwan-based Lextar Electronics,...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Taiwan's display system makers - Jun 2007
In addition to pure display makers such as Amtran, Chi Mei, HANNspree, Taiwan-based home appliance makers such as Tatung, Proton, Kolin, several major IT makers...
- Taiwan's display system makers - Jun 2006
Taiwan-based display makers come from a variety of areas in the IT industry, from Compal, which is best known for producing notebooks, to Premier, which also produces...